Start by marking “A Dark Traveling” as Want to Read:
A Dark Traveling

A Dark Traveling

1987 Byron Preiss 1st Ed.
Mass Market Paperback, 1st edition, 151 pages
Published May 1989 by Avon Books (first published April 1987)

Lord of Light by Roger ZelaznyThe Great Book of Amber by Roger ZelaznyNine Princes in Amber by Roger ZelaznyA Night in the Lonesome October by Roger ZelaznyCreatures of Light and Darkness by Roger Zelazny
Roger Zelazny (Your favourite)
40th out of 49 books — 120 voters
Ender's Game by Orson Scott CardThe Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas AdamsThe Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsA Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'EngleThe Giver by Lois Lowry
Best Intro to Sci-Fi for Young Readers
477th out of 660 books — 839 voters

More lists with this book...

Dan Schwent
Aug 07, 2012 Dan Schwent rated it liked it
A Dark Traveling was very interesting. I wish Zelazny would have written a sequel or three.

Jim is a fourteen year old werewolf. His sister is a witch and they live with their father Tom and an exchange student named Barry. Tom works for some kind of parallel universe monitoring agency. At the beginning of the book, Tom goes missing, and the equipment he uses to monitor and travel to other dimensions is damaged. Jim, Becky, and Barry spend the rest of the book trying to find him and in the proces
Jim
Oct 23, 2014 Jim rated it really liked it
Shelves: scifi, 2fiction, 1paper
On the first read, I was disappointed. It's a thin book, more of a novella & it begs for follow-up, which we'll never get since the master is dead. This is another of his SF/Fantasy blends & is reminiscent of "A Wrinkle In Time". On a second read, I picked up on a lot of subtle references that made it much more enjoyable.

There are endless dimensions, the result of different decisions in the past. In some of these, the Dark has won & in others, the Light, so it's a classic good vs. ev
Jackie
I liked it. An easy read, entertaining and quick. It felt more like a YA novel to me but that's OK, I like YA sometimes.
Amanda
Somehow Zelazny managed to tell a believable story that involved a werewolf, a witch, a Golem and travel between parallel universes.
Alazzar
It pains me to give a Zelazny book 3 stars, but this just isn’t up to par with his other novels. That’s not to say it’s bad . . . it’s just not a masterpiece like Lord of Light or Doorways in the Sand or any number of others I could list.

A Dark Traveling was Zelazny’s attempt at a Young Adult novel. I don’t really read any YA, so I don’t know what the competition is like—maybe this book blows current YA out of the water, or maybe it just lags behind. In any case, some of the restrictions Zelazny
Randy
Sep 18, 2014 Randy rated it liked it
I kept spying this sitting amidst my shelf of Zelazny books, and eventually realized it'd been so long since I read it that I had only a vague idea of the plot. So, I yanked it down and re-read it.

It's only about 150 pages, so it's quick. It seemed almost like the treatment of a book, and not the book itself. So much potential here seems wasted, and much of the setting and characters feel like rough sketches. I've read that this was supposed to be a book for younger readers, but it felt to me mo
Brandon
This started out a bit rough in the prologue, but that is not something I am unfamiliar with in a lot of books by Zelazny. Still it is one of the few of his books that I had not read yet, so I stuck with it and was happy to have it take a turn for the better in the first couple chapters.

I saw that others have complained about the villain only showing up at the end, and then only briefly. However really the story has very little to do with the villain and seems, to me at least, to be more about
Yune
Mar 23, 2008 Yune rated it liked it
Those who complain that Zelazny's Amber Chronicles are too fluffy clearly haven't read this one. (Or know better.)

An enjoyable romp, but really lacking depth, perhaps because the protagonist is a teen. Zelazny's characteristic humor is present, though (it seems preserved no matter what he writes), and I'm amused by the thought of him having this same voice as an adolescent:

"I'm a normal fourteen-year-old boy....My sister Becky is a witch, my older brother Dave lives in a castle, and our exchange
Shane
Jan 23, 2011 Shane rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: No One
I love Zelazny and everything but this really sucked. I've got it in this beautiful illustrated hardcover (millennium) edition but really there had to be 25 other Zelazny novellas that deserved this treatment more than this piece of crap. At a very stretched out 143 pages, the action starts at about page 120. There's the werewolf angle that goes nowhere and seems to be included for no reason other than possibly to increase page count. The dues ex machina. The main evil bad dude that shows up for ...more
Paul Spence
Sep 15, 2014 Paul Spence rated it it was amazing
A Dark Traveling was written as a book for teens, but you shouldn't dismiss it because of this. This book was written by a master storyteller, and is well worth the read.

Like many books by Roger Zelazny this one blurs the lines (actually, it stomps on them) between science fiction and fantasy.

It is witty, dark, philosophical, and light-hearted all at the same time.

Take the time to read this gem. You won't regret it.
Kate
Jun 01, 2013 Kate rated it it was ok
I love Zelazny and this was the first book of his that I read and what got me interested in the genre. I picked it up to read again for nostalgia's sake but couldn't get past the second page of the first chapter. The writing is SO simplistic that I found myself rewriting it in my head at an adult's level. I'm going to do eight year old me a solid and continue to remember it fondly while I move on to Zelazny's other work.
Steve Bouchard
Jul 27, 2014 Steve Bouchard rated it really liked it
Maybe it's not one of Zelazny's most ambitious works, but for what it is, it's an excellent YA read. In typical fashion, the reader is dropped right into the plot, and it doesn't let up. It's a fast read with fair-playing twists, and combines fantasy and SF elements seamlessly as we can expect from Zelany. While this book brings Zelazny's scope of creativity to a younger audience, it's also an enjoyable read for any fan of Zelazny's lighter work.
Charles
Apr 20, 2014 Charles rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
I rounded my rating up to 4 stars, as I think it's a pretty good book for its intended audience: readers much younger than I am. It has Zelazny's typically atypical combination of science fiction and fantasy with a clever plot that I think would appeal to tween and younger teen readers.

Unfortunately, the current Kindle edition of this novella has a couple or three sections with too many scanning errors (I presume) that were never proofread, apparently (or very negligently done).
Howard Brazee
Nov 01, 2014 Howard Brazee rated it liked it
Zelazny is one of the few writers who I expect to get an automatic 5 stars. But not his collaberations that he did in a hurry to have money for his family after his death.

Nor this juvenile novel which basically just creates a setting. It is the nihilistic idea that when we make decisions, we create universes with both sides of the decisions. Even worse, some of those decisions create magical universes, some are good and some are evil.

Paradoxhorizon
Jan 28, 2011 Paradoxhorizon rated it liked it
Travel between worlds? Werewolves? Magic and strange technology? This novelette is kinda of all over the place and I kinda feel like there's a really good and longer story that just needed to be coaxed out of these parts.
Carissa
Jul 23, 2009 Carissa rated it liked it
I was loaned a couple of Roger Zelazny books by a colleague who told me that Zelazny is the original of whom Neil Gaiman is a pale imitator. I haven't really read enough of either to evaluate that claim, but I enjoyed this one (one of his lighter reads) well enough.
Kate
Oct 02, 2009 Kate rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5-sci-fi
A very characteristic Zelazny novel with alternate realities or parallel worlds, which he is very masterful at describing. I enjoyed the story, but I felt like it could have been fleshed out more. The concept and plot was interesting, just rushed and underdeveloped.
Mark
Apr 02, 2011 Mark rated it it was ok
A master of fantasy writing a very slight YA novel. Too many randomly cross-genre concepts (witches, robots, werewolves, alternate dimensions) jumbled together without a unifying thread.
Alan
Alan rated it it was amazing
Sep 08, 2016
Mike
Mike rated it liked it
Aug 19, 2008
Lee
Lee rated it did not like it
Apr 14, 2014
Matt Allbritton
Matt Allbritton rated it really liked it
Sep 07, 2012
Ben
Ben rated it liked it
May 03, 2008
Richard
Richard rated it liked it
Aug 25, 2011
Harry Dresden
Harry Dresden rated it liked it
Aug 25, 2013
Roger Brockie
Roger Brockie rated it really liked it
Dec 18, 2014
Raymond K
Raymond K rated it liked it
Dec 28, 2013
Rob
Rob rated it really liked it
Sep 30, 2008
David
David rated it it was amazing
Sep 10, 2008
Matthew
Matthew rated it it was amazing
Aug 04, 2009
  • Lord of the Fantastic: Stories in Honor of Roger Zelazny
  • Buying Time
  • The Rebel Worlds (Flandry, #3)
  • The Other Sinbad
  • Millennium
  • Retief and the Warlords (Retief, #4)
  • A Messiah at the End of Time (Dancers at the End of Time, #5)
  • The Godmother's Web (Godmother, #3)
  • Those Who Watch
  • The World of Tiers Volume 2 (World of Tiers Omnibus 4-5,7)
  • Echo: Collider (Echo, #4)
  • The Wizard and the War Machine (War Surplus, #2)
  • Empire of the East (Empire of the East, #1-3)
  • The Flying Sorcerers
  • Psychoshop
  • The Hugo Winners Vol 1 and 2 1955-1972
  • Birth of Fire
Roger Zelazny made his name with a group of novellas which demonstrated just how intense an emotional charge could be generated by the stock imagery of sf; the most famous of these is A Rose for Ecclesiastes in which a poet struggles to convince dying and sterile Martians that life is worth continuing. Zelazny continued to write excellent short stories throughout his career. Most of his novels dea ...more
More about Roger Zelazny...