Donnerjack

Donnerjack

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  739 ratings  ·  19 reviews
In our world, called the Verite, he is a Scottish laird, an engineer, and a master of virtual reality design. In the computer-generated universe of Virtu, created by the crash of the World Net, he is a living legend. Scientist and poet with a warrior's soul, Donnerjack strides like a giant across the virtual landscape he helped to shape. And now he has bargained with Death...more
Published August 1st 1998 by Harper Voyager (first published July 1997)

Lord of Light by Roger ZelaznyNine Princes in Amber by Roger ZelaznyThe Great Book of Amber by Roger ZelaznyA Night in the Lonesome October by Roger ZelaznyCreatures of Light and Darkness by Roger Zelazny
Roger Zelazny (Your favourite)
16th out of 52 books — 93 voters
A Dirty Job by Christopher MooreThe Book Thief by Markus ZusakMort by Terry PratchettReaper Man by Terry PratchettThe Sinner by K. Trap Jones
Death Gods and Reaper Protagonists
66th out of 95 books — 173 voters

More lists with this book...

Jim
I've stated many times that I don't care for the books Jane Lindskold did with Zelazny, but I'm changing my mind with this one. While it isn't as tight & twisty as his normal books, it is a very engaging read. He's blending legend/myth into virtual reality & SF in a unique manner. Truly an epic journey.

I finished it & am quite impressed.
Alazzar
I'm not sure if this is more or less disappointing than Lord Demon . On the one hand, Donnerjack is the better book. But on the other hand, that's because it had such great potential--potential which was never fully realized.

My major gripe here is the same as it was with Lord Demon--it seems fairly obvious when Jane Lindskold takes over primary writing duties, and I'm just not a fan of some of her choices when it comes to style and voice. Her characters are always joking/smiling at wildly inappr...more
Marina_f
Моя читалка говорит, что на прочтение "Доннерджека" я потратила 10,8 часов с средней для меня скоростью чтения. Обычно на книги такого объему у меня не уходит больше 4 часов)))

А впечатления от нее похожи на синусоиду - то восторг-восторг-восторг, то ужас-ужас-ужас, то опять восторг-восторг-восторг. Если смотреть на книгу в целом - то мне понравилась идея смешения виртуальной реальности и истинной реальности, понравились привнесения мифов в эти самые реальности, но в мелочах кроется столько wtf в...more
Todd Martin
Roger Zelazny died after writing an outline and the first few hundred pages of Donnerjack. It was subsequently finished posthumously by Jane Lindskold.

I’m not sure quite what to make of this book. On the positive side, the book contains elements of the multi-world environment he created for the Amber series, though this time they are set within the context of a computer generated virtual reality. On the negative ... the book is a complete mess. There are Scottish ghosts and virtual gods that ta...more
Dan
Aug 28, 2007 Dan rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: lovers of language
In Donnerjack, Zelazny writes his usual lean, fast prose and mashes together cyberspace, Scottish legends, and fantasy into a wonderful cake. In an early chapter a mother becomes a Banshee out of Celtic legend in order to protect her son from an internet-dwelling death god. To find the son, Death pulls together a hound out of deleted files, old bulletin boards, re-bar, wire, and data fragments.

The writing is lyrical, the action violent, and the characters super shallow. Science fiction it its b...more
Felix_scarecrow
An interesting book that combines both high tech and old mythos. I had some trouble at first keeping all of the characters straight, but as the book went on they all found their place in the story. I ended up enjoying how there was this constant flow of interconnection between all the characters even though at first it seemed disjointed. The architechure of the worlds he created were also very interesting, oscillating between "Virtual" and "Real".
Timmy
I really liked the first half or 2/3 of this book. It melded some complex virtual reality concepts with old school myths and did so with a lot of atmosphere, style and humor. By the end of the book, however, those style elements were gone, and the last 50 pages devolved into characters summarizing plot points (and character sketches) at each other. Dialogue doesn't get much more expository. On the whole it was still worth reading, though.
Matthew
This isn't necessarily a book I'd recommend to anyone, but it was ok. I read it all the way through. I wanted to find out what happened. The ending did seem somewhat anticlimactic and rushed like it was just finished to get it over with. Had some interesting ideas and sets up an interesting world, but it doesn't really seem to be used to its full potential.
PSXtreme
Written before the Interweb really morphed into its current state, this book really shoveled out the possibilities on what could become with the eventual virtual world. A mad mixture of Science and Magic, Zelazny really blurs the lines between Fantasy and Sci-Fi. A good read that keeps you on your toes.
Anita Gupta
Perhaps my all-time favorite book (no, of course LOTR takes that honor), but still, an incredible combination of fantasy, sci-fi, technology and religion. Something only Zelazny could pull off. I've read this book 4 times and am sure to do so again because it contains so much depth.
Calisrue
a review excerpt printed on the book itself says something to the effect that Zelazny writes science-fiction that reads like fantasy and fantasy that reads like science-fiction. I think that describes well what he does in this book, sort-of a cyberspace fantasy book.
Wlbeard5
The lines between mythology, virtual reality, and conventional reality become blurred.

The pacing is a bit slow, and the narrative spans a lot of years rather ungracefully at points. The overall story was interesting, but this one is far cry from Amber.
Rick Maydak
I absolutely loved this book. One of the rare times I finished a novel and was sad that I reached the end. I didn't want it to end. I don't read novels a second time much, but I will be sure to do so with this one.
Ellen (Elf TajMuttHall) Finch
I love most of Zelazny's work, have most of his books (he's probably among my 10 favorite authors), but try as I might over and over, I could not get through this book. Yawn.
ivoonaa
it was very boring in the begining, but when i got through the first third of the book, it started to get interesting.
Märt
Something that could be described as good read. Nothing too exciting but still draws out a good plot and characters.
Jonathan
You can tell where Zelazny stopped writing, the story becomes no fun at all.
S
Although not completely written by Zelazny, his influence is there.
Serge Ovanesyan
Loved this book, quite similar to Pratchet`s books
Misho
Misho marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2014
Rick Ingersoll
Rick Ingersoll marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2014
Earicka
Earicka marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2014
  • Psychoshop
  • Deus Irae
  • The Country of the Blind and Other Science-Fiction Stories
  • My Teacher Flunked the Planet (My Teacher is an Alien, #4)
  • B.P.R.D., Vol. 7: Garden of Souls (B.P.R.D., #7)
  • Starfarers
  • Starmind (Stardance, #3)
  • Ambulance Ship  (Sector General, #4)
  • Kingdom of Cages
  • Gyo, Vol. 2
  • The Fugue (Fall of Cthulhu, #1)
  • Voyage of the Shadowmoon
  • The Time Wanderers
  • Blue Champagne
  • Highway of Eternity
  • Cosm
Roger Zelazny made his name with a group of novellas which demonstrated just how intense an emotional charge could be generated by the stock imagery of sf; the most famous of these is 'A Rose for Ecclesiastes' in which a poet struggles to convince dying and sterile Martians that life is worth continuing. Zelazny continued to write excellent short stories throughout his career, which share the inve...more
More about Roger Zelazny...
Nine Princes in Amber (Amber Chronicles, #1) The Great Book of Amber (Chronicles of Amber, #1-10) Lord of Light The Courts of Chaos (Amber Chronicles, #5) The Guns of Avalon (Amber Chronicles, #2)