Start by marking “Donnerjack” as Want to Read:
Donnerjack

Donnerjack

3.79  ·  Rating Details  ·  956 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
In our world, called the Verite, he is a Scottish laird, an engineer, and a master of virtual reality design. In the computer-generated universe of Virtu, created by the crash of the World Net, he is a living legend. Scientist and poet with a warrior's soul, Donnerjack strides like a giant across the virtual landscape he helped to shape. And now he has bargained with Death ...more
Published August 1st 1998 by Harper Voyager (first published July 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Donnerjack, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Donnerjack

Lord of Light by Roger ZelaznyThe Great Book of Amber by Roger ZelaznyNine Princes in Amber by Roger ZelaznyA Night in the Lonesome October by Roger ZelaznyCreatures of Light and Darkness by Roger Zelazny
Roger Zelazny (Your favourite)
17th out of 49 books — 119 voters
The Book Thief by Markus ZusakA Dirty Job by Christopher MooreMort by Terry PratchettGoddess of Spring by P.C. CastRadiant Darkness by Emily Whitman
Death Gods and Reaper Protagonists
103rd out of 156 books — 273 voters

More lists with this book...

Jim
Oct 23, 2014 Jim rated it really liked it
I've stated many times that I don't care for the books Jane Lindskold did with Zelazny, but I'm changing my mind with this one. While it isn't as tight & twisty as his normal books, it is a very engaging read. He's blending legend/myth into virtual reality & SF in a unique manner. Truly an epic journey.

I finished it & am quite impressed.
Alazzar
Apr 11, 2013 Alazzar rated it liked it
I'm not sure if this is more or less disappointing than Lord Demon . On the one hand, Donnerjack is the better book. But on the other hand, that's because it had such great potential--potential which was never fully realized.

My major gripe here is the same as it was with Lord Demon--it seems fairly obvious when Jane Lindskold takes over primary writing duties, and I'm just not a fan of some of her choices when it comes to style and voice. Her characters are always joking/smiling at wildly inapp
Marina
Apr 24, 2013 Marina rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, american, 1990s
Моя читалка говорит, что на прочтение "Доннерджека" я потратила 10,8 часов с средней для меня скоростью чтения. Обычно на книги такого объему у меня не уходит больше 4 часов)))

А впечатления от нее похожи на синусоиду - то восторг-восторг-восторг, то ужас-ужас-ужас, то опять восторг-восторг-восторг. Если смотреть на книгу в целом - то мне понравилась идея смешения виртуальной реальности и истинной реальности, понравились привнесения мифов в эти самые реальности, но в мелочах кроется столько wtf в
Todd Martin
Jan 19, 2012 Todd Martin rated it did not like it
Shelves: fiction
Roger Zelazny died after writing an outline and the first few hundred pages of Donnerjack. It was subsequently finished posthumously by Jane Lindskold.

I’m not sure quite what to make of this book. On the positive side, the book contains elements of the multi-world environment he created for the Amber series, though this time they are set within the context of a computer generated virtual reality. On the negative ... the book is a complete mess. There are Scottish ghosts and virtual gods that ta
Vicky
Feb 17, 2016 Vicky rated it did not like it
not my cuppa
Dan
Aug 28, 2007 Dan rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: lovers of language
In Donnerjack, Zelazny writes his usual lean, fast prose and mashes together cyberspace, Scottish legends, and fantasy into a wonderful cake. In an early chapter a mother becomes a Banshee out of Celtic legend in order to protect her son from an internet-dwelling death god. To find the son, Death pulls together a hound out of deleted files, old bulletin boards, re-bar, wire, and data fragments.

The writing is lyrical, the action violent, and the characters super shallow. Science fiction it its b
Felix_scarecrow
Jun 04, 2008 Felix_scarecrow rated it liked it
An interesting book that combines both high tech and old mythos. I had some trouble at first keeping all of the characters straight, but as the book went on they all found their place in the story. I ended up enjoying how there was this constant flow of interconnection between all the characters even though at first it seemed disjointed. The architechure of the worlds he created were also very interesting, oscillating between "Virtual" and "Real".
Timmy
Apr 11, 2009 Timmy rated it liked it
Shelves: sf-f, fantasy
I really liked the first half or 2/3 of this book. It melded some complex virtual reality concepts with old school myths and did so with a lot of atmosphere, style and humor. By the end of the book, however, those style elements were gone, and the last 50 pages devolved into characters summarizing plot points (and character sketches) at each other. Dialogue doesn't get much more expository. On the whole it was still worth reading, though.
Morgan
Apr 28, 2016 Morgan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Starts off a bit slow; whether this is because of it being a posthumous collaboration, because it's longer than most Zelazny novels, or if it's just a product of the story is hard to say. But it eventually becomes an engaging story that explores a lot of Zelazny's usual themes -- ancient religions, parallel worlds, subjective reality -- in ways that are familiar, but nevertheless different from his prior works.
Matthew
Dec 20, 2013 Matthew rated it it was ok
This isn't necessarily a book I'd recommend to anyone, but it was ok. I read it all the way through. I wanted to find out what happened. The ending did seem somewhat anticlimactic and rushed like it was just finished to get it over with. Had some interesting ideas and sets up an interesting world, but it doesn't really seem to be used to its full potential.
PSXtreme
Feb 18, 2013 PSXtreme rated it really liked it
Written before the Interweb really morphed into its current state, this book really shoveled out the possibilities on what could become with the eventual virtual world. A mad mixture of Science and Magic, Zelazny really blurs the lines between Fantasy and Sci-Fi. A good read that keeps you on your toes.
Anita Gupta
Feb 19, 2013 Anita Gupta rated it it was amazing
Perhaps my all-time favorite book (no, of course LOTR takes that honor), but still, an incredible combination of fantasy, sci-fi, technology and religion. Something only Zelazny could pull off. I've read this book 4 times and am sure to do so again because it contains so much depth.
Calisrue
Mar 25, 2008 Calisrue rated it it was amazing
a review excerpt printed on the book itself says something to the effect that Zelazny writes science-fiction that reads like fantasy and fantasy that reads like science-fiction. I think that describes well what he does in this book, sort-of a cyberspace fantasy book.
The Hermit's
Boring, I gave up half way through, had no idea what was going on.
Wlbeard5
Sep 09, 2009 Wlbeard5 rated it liked it
The lines between mythology, virtual reality, and conventional reality become blurred.

The pacing is a bit slow, and the narrative spans a lot of years rather ungracefully at points. The overall story was interesting, but this one is far cry from Amber.
Rick Maydak
Jun 15, 2009 Rick Maydak rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book. One of the rare times I finished a novel and was sad that I reached the end. I didn't want it to end. I don't read novels a second time much, but I will be sure to do so with this one.
Ellen (Elf TajMuttHall) Finch
I love most of Zelazny's work, have most of his books (he's probably among my 10 favorite authors), but try as I might over and over, I could not get through this book. Yawn.
ivoonaa
Jan 15, 2014 ivoonaa rated it really liked it
it was very boring in the begining, but when i got through the first third of the book, it started to get interesting.
Märt
Dec 11, 2012 Märt rated it liked it
Something that could be described as good read. Nothing too exciting but still draws out a good plot and characters.
Joshua Dancer
May 25, 2015 Joshua Dancer rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
A brilliant mix of science fiction and mythology. The greatest cyberpunk/ghost/love story ever written.
Jonathan
Aug 06, 2008 Jonathan rated it liked it
You can tell where Zelazny stopped writing, the story becomes no fun at all.
S
Sep 01, 2012 S rated it really liked it
Although not completely written by Zelazny, his influence is there.
Serge Ovanesyan
Jan 30, 2009 Serge Ovanesyan rated it it was amazing
Loved this book, quite similar to Pratchet`s books ...more
Мартин Кадънков
Мартин Кадънков rated it really liked it
Jun 24, 2016
Gil Estel
Gil Estel is currently reading it
Jun 22, 2016
Knigoqdec
Knigoqdec marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2016
Sean
Sean marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2016
Michael Dean-Andrews
Michael Dean-Andrews marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2016
NiveusT
NiveusT marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2016
  • Psychoshop
  • The Asimov Chronicles: Fifty Years of Isaac Asimov (Volume Five)
  • Lord of the Fantastic: Stories in Honor of Roger Zelazny
  • My Teacher Flunked the Planet (My Teacher is an Alien, #4)
  • B.P.R.D., Vol. 8: Killing Ground (B.P.R.D., #8)
  • The Country of the Blind and Other Science-Fiction Stories
  • Press Enter
  • Starfarers
  • Hellboy Junior
  • Deception Well
  • Starmind (Stardance, #3)
  • The Fugue (Fall of Cthulhu, #1)
  • Lunar Activity
  • The Beast
  • Fires of Azeroth (Morgaine & Vanye, #3)
  • Gyo, Vol. 2
  • Options
Roger Zelazny made his name with a group of novellas which demonstrated just how intense an emotional charge could be generated by the stock imagery of sf; the most famous of these is A Rose for Ecclesiastes in which a poet struggles to convince dying and sterile Martians that life is worth continuing. Zelazny continued to write excellent short stories throughout his career. Most of his novels dea ...more
More about Roger Zelazny...