Crocheting in Plain English

Crocheting in Plain English

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  92 ratings  ·  13 reviews
The definitive classic on crocheting for years, the first edition of Crocheting in Plain English equipped readers with easy-to-follow, friendly advice on creating their dream crochets. A lifelong crocheting teacher and designer, Maggie Righetti offered both basic principles and step-by-step instructions to get crocheters started and to perfect their techniques.

In this late...more
Paperback, Second Edition, 288 pages
Published December 9th 2008 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published February 15th 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Crocheting in Plain English, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crocheting in Plain English

Heather the Hillbilly Banjo Queen
If you have a hankering to learn crochet, this lady's books are as good as you get.
Ellen
I love to crochet and brought this book thinking it would be helpful. Alas, no. There were two things about the book that made me so angry. One was Ms Righetti's insistence that there is one and only one way to hold your crochet hook. I hold my hook like a knife, which according to the author is all wrong and should have me consigned to the circle of shame. But it works for me. Also, the author has a bad habit of beginning a stitch pattern and then telling us that we know what to do so finish it...more
Debbie
"Crocheting in Plain English" gives in-depth instruction on how to crochet. The author assumes you're an absolute beginner, but this book is also useful for beginners in general and people who have taught themselves to crochet.

Actually, this book almost has too much information for the absolute beginner. When I read the first few chapters, I had never bought yarn or any of the equipment. I was hoping to save time and money by getting it right the first time. I was almost overwhelmed by the depth...more
Story
Okay. So there were things about this book that I found annoying. The author's tone was overly chummy and familiar, which grated on me. I also didn't really appreciate some of the chapter titles which came from Christian idioms, such as "Your Cup Runneth Over," (increases) or "Gathering in the Flock," (decreases) or "Fishing with Your Hook in Other Waters" (other techniques). I also can't seem to hold my hook the way she tells me is right and proper.

Despite these things, I found her text lucid i...more
I'm re-teaching myself crochet -- the "proper" way this time -- by working through this book. It's very well-written and clear! I think I'll check out the author's book on knitting too, just for curiosity.

In comparing with a few other books, I'm realizing that Maggie tells us to hold the crochet hook differently than everyone else, I think... She says always, always keep your right hand below the hook. Everyone else I've read either says to hold the hook as a pen or as a knife.
Crystal
I bought this book as a self-taught crocheter... My mom didn't even know all this stuff, and let me tell you, learning from her was TOUGH - not sure why, I think we speak two different languages.

This guide is SIMPLE to learn from and explains all the basics you really need if you want to move on to patterns.

I MUST if you really love crochet but want to move on from making washcloths. HA
Anne
This is a FANTASTIC book for beginners or experts alike! I'd been crocheting for years and years before I found this book, but its comprehensive contents still had something for me to learn. I consult it every time I start something new, and it always has a bit of insight to guide me.
Charlene Vickers
Some good information but it's a bit out of date even for 2008. The writer's prose style is irritating, as if she were faking familiarity.

I also don't think anyone capable of reading this very simply written book needs to be told what an even number is.
Heather
This is one of my few crafting books that I sat down and read through like I would any other book. It was really helpful in re-introducing me to crochet. I loved the section on crocheting left-handed.
Lil' Grogan
For a visual learner, not as useful. Lots of chatter in a grating, condescending tone. Did glean a couple of useful tips, but the tone which she wrote in made me want to slap someone.
Dana Nelson
Sometimes the illustrations aren't very demonstrative but the written information is detailed and I loved the author's surprising wit!
MD
I didn't care for the writing style and didn't find many interesting patterns.
Jen
Great book. Funny too!~
Jack
Jack added it
Aug 30, 2014
Creola White
Creola White marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Torgny
Torgny added it
Jul 03, 2014
Amaris Skye
Amaris Skye marked it as to-read
May 04, 2014
Sandra
Sandra marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Knitting in Plain English Sweater Design in Plain English Universal Yarn Finder Crocheting in Plain English: The Only Book any Crocheter Will Ever Need