Start by marking “Crocheting in Plain English” as Want to Read:

Crocheting in Plain English

The definitive classic on crocheting for years, the first edition of Crocheting in Plain English equipped readers with easy-to-follow, friendly advice on creating their dream crochets. A lifelong crocheting teacher and designer, Maggie Righetti offered both basic principles and step-by-step instructions to get crocheters started and to perfect their techniques.

In this late
Paperback, Second Edition, 288 pages
Published December 9th 2008 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published February 15th 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Crocheting in Plain English, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crocheting in Plain English

Heather the Hillbilly Banjo Queen
If you have a hankering to learn crochet, this lady's books are as good as you get.
Jun 14, 2011 Debbie rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
"Crocheting in Plain English" gives in-depth instruction on how to crochet. The author assumes you're an absolute beginner, but this book is also useful for beginners in general and people who have taught themselves to crochet.

Actually, this book almost has too much information for the absolute beginner. When I read the first few chapters, I had never bought yarn or any of the equipment. I was hoping to save time and money by getting it right the first time. I was almost overwhelmed by the depth
Aug 21, 2014 Story rated it liked it
Okay. So there were things about this book that I found annoying. The author's tone was overly chummy and familiar, which grated on me. I also didn't really appreciate some of the chapter titles which came from Christian idioms, such as "Your Cup Runneth Over," (increases) or "Gathering in the Flock," (decreases) or "Fishing with Your Hook in Other Waters" (other techniques). I also can't seem to hold my hook the way she tells me is right and proper.

Despite these things, I found her text lucid i
Jan 26, 2014 Ellen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I love to crochet and brought this book thinking it would be helpful. Alas, no. There were two things about the book that made me so angry. One was Ms Righetti's insistence that there is one and only one way to hold your crochet hook. I hold my hook like a knife, which according to the author is all wrong and should have me consigned to the circle of shame. But it works for me. Also, the author has a bad habit of beginning a stitch pattern and then telling us that we know what to do so finish it ...more
Julie Barrett
May 29, 2015 Julie Barrett rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Crocheting in Plain English
Starts out with basic things: tools and stitches. There are also tips for the advanced crocheters along with beginners.
Instructions on the stitches, yarn, patterns included. Even though I am a published crochet designer I find I learn something new.
Great reference book because it covers everything...this was an audio book, the printed version would be a lot better as you'd be able to see the pictures and charts and diagrams.
I received this book from National Library Se
I'm re-teaching myself crochet -- the "proper" way this time -- by working through this book. It's very well-written and clear! I think I'll check out the author's book on knitting too, just for curiosity.

In comparing with a few other books, I'm realizing that Maggie tells us to hold the crochet hook differently than everyone else, I think... She says always, always keep your right hand below the hook. Everyone else I've read either says to hold the hook as a pen or as a knife.
Dec 19, 2008 Crystal rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference
I bought this book as a self-taught crocheter... My mom didn't even know all this stuff, and let me tell you, learning from her was TOUGH - not sure why, I think we speak two different languages.

This guide is SIMPLE to learn from and explains all the basics you really need if you want to move on to patterns.

I MUST if you really love crochet but want to move on from making washcloths. HA
Charlene Vickers
Some good information but it's a bit out of date even for 2008. The writer's prose style is irritating, as if she were faking familiarity.

I also don't think anyone capable of reading this very simply written book needs to be told what an even number is.
Nov 10, 2014 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my few crafting books that I sat down and read through like I would any other book. It was really helpful in re-introducing me to crochet. I loved the section on crocheting left-handed.
Jul 05, 2010 Anne rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nf-how-to
This is a FANTASTIC book for beginners or experts alike! I'd been crocheting for years and years before I found this book, but its comprehensive contents still had something for me to learn. I consult it every time I start something new, and it always has a bit of insight to guide me.
Dana Nelson
Jul 31, 2016 Dana Nelson rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Sometimes the illustrations aren't very demonstrative but the written information is detailed and I loved the author's surprising wit!
Feb 02, 2016 Fishface rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: how-to, favorites, arts
This really IS the only book I have ever needed since I bought it years and years ago. It's wonderful. What more can I possibly say?
Lil' Grogan
Jun 17, 2013 Lil' Grogan rated it it was ok
Shelves: handmade
For a visual learner, not as useful. Lots of chatter in a grating, condescending tone. Did glean a couple of useful tips, but the tone which she wrote in made me want to slap someone.
Tess rated it really liked it
Jun 14, 2013
Vita rated it it was amazing
Dec 15, 2010
Kasyy rated it it was amazing
Mar 03, 2016
Lalalee rated it it was amazing
Jan 02, 2011
Erica Crain
Erica Crain rated it it was amazing
Jan 15, 2016
May rated it liked it
Apr 17, 2010
Sheryl rated it it was amazing
Feb 01, 2015
Laurie Kane
Laurie Kane rated it really liked it
Aug 26, 2014
Harriet Macdonald
Harriet Macdonald rated it it was amazing
Oct 07, 2013
Colean rated it it was amazing
Aug 04, 2013
Lisa rated it really liked it
Apr 01, 2016
Sally rated it really liked it
Dec 15, 2013
Oct 30, 2009 MD rated it it was ok
I didn't care for the writing style and didn't find many interesting patterns.
Sandra J Weaver
Sandra J Weaver rated it really liked it
Jan 28, 2010
Jennifer Griffith
Jennifer Griffith rated it it was amazing
Mar 19, 2008
Leah rated it liked it
Jan 21, 2016
Andrea rated it really liked it
Jun 12, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Austentatious Crochet: 36 Contemporary Designs from the World of Jane Austen
  • Donna Kooler's Encyclopedia of Crochet #15906
  • 100 Flowers to Knit & Crochet: A Collection of Beautiful Blooms for Embellishing Garments, Accessories, and More
  • Harmony Guides: Basic Crochet Stitches (The Harmony Guides)
  • The Chicks with Sticks Guide to Crochet: Learn to Crochet with More Than Thirty Cool, Easy Patterns
  • Blueprint Crochet
  • Knitting in the Old Way: Designs and Techniques from Ethnic Sweaters
  • Amazing Crochet Lace: New Fashions Inspired by Old-Fashioned Lace
  • Folk Shawls
  • The Complete Book of Crochet Stitch Designs: 500 Classic & Original Patterns
  • Beyond the Square Crochet Motifs: 144 Circles, Hexagons, Triangles, Squares, and Other Unexpected Shapes
  • Mason-Dixon Knitting Outside the Lines: Patterns, Stories, Pictures, True Confessions, Tricky Bits, Whole New Worlds, and Familiar Ones, Too
  • Custom Knits: Unleash Your Inner Designer with Top-Down and Improvisational Techniques
  • Knitting Vintage Socks: New Twists on Classic Patterns