Start by marking “Prince of Chaos (The Chronicles of Amber #10)” as Want to Read:
Prince of Chaos (The Chronicles of Amber #10)

Prince of Chaos (The Chronicles of Amber #10)

3.97  ·  Rating Details ·  7,197 Ratings  ·  122 Reviews
Alternate cover for ISBN 0380755025 / 9780380755028

Treacheries, trickeries, assassination attempts and bloody family intrigues have finally manoeuvred Merlin, aka Merle Corey, into the Courts of Chaos - where he is third in line to occupy the throne, thanks to a series of conventionally fatal "accidents" engineered by his mother Dara and uncle Mandor.

But Merlin's journey
Published December 1995 by Avon Books (first published November 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Prince of Chaos, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Prince of Chaos

The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. TolkienThe Golden Compass by Philip PullmanHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingA Game of Thrones by George R.R. MartinSabriel by Garth Nix
Best Fantasy: Unique Worlds
79th out of 529 books — 440 voters
Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert A. HeinleinLove Story by Erich SegalThe Handmaid's Tale by Margaret AtwoodSteppenwolf by Hermann HesseThe Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams
Fun Books I read in college
46th out of 60 books — 8 voters

More lists with this book...

Dan Schwent
Feb 16, 2011 Dan Schwent rated it liked it
Shelves: zelazny, 2010
Merlin's quest comes to a conclusion of sorts. That's all the summary I can give without divulging plot points.

Well, I've finished the Second Chronicles of Amber. About a year ago, I was putting the finishing touches on my review of the First Chronicles of Amber, saying that the anticipation built to an amazing level toward the end, and that the ending was right up there with Stormbringer and The Dark Tower. How does Prince of Chaos stack up?

I guess the best way to sum it up is that I should hav
Joel
May 17, 2016 Joel rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
Started and finished in one sitting - the second half of this series (The Merlin Cycle) were definitely inferior to the first 5, which were good, and exceptional at times. The writing itself wasn't quite as good either, though it kept the same snappy, realistic feel that was so refreshing in all the previous books. The ending itself was fitting, and I enjoyed the return of Corwin as a major piece in this novel.

Overall, I'm glad I read The Chronicles of Amber - they were a refreshing change of p
Jake McCrary
Jan 14, 2013 Jake McCrary rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-tech, read_2013
Finished this series and I'm looking forward to reading something else. Luckily these are quick books to read so it doesn't take too much time.

This book finished the series and I found the ending to be unsatisfactory. This book basically was composed of characters jumping between locations powered by newly found power/energy. Jump to some spot, some conflict happens, jump away, some conflict happens, jump away.

I'd just stick to the first five Amber Chronicle books, leave 6 through 10 closed.
Kimberley doruyter
Feb 22, 2015 Kimberley doruyter rated it it was amazing
a anti-climax but still a wonderful series.
will reread this in future.
Cathy
I almost entirely loved it. Overall I liked the Merlin saga even better than Corwin's stories. There was a much tighter and faster pace. Corwin's had more "magic" for me as a newly-discovered concept, but this series was more developed and exciting. I many ways it felt like book one and book two of a series, rather than the two sets of five books each, where the first book introduced a new concept and story and the second took it further, developing additional layers and ideas.

That said, there w
Ian Banks
Oct 03, 2015 Ian Banks rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy

Well, it finished up raising more questions than it answered, but it was an enjoyable way of passing the time. The status quo in Chaos has been altered, there's a couple of surprises, but...

... everything just goes so fast and, as a consequence, you don't really feel that it's properly over. It felt like a conclusion, what with a couple of mirrored moments from the first series, but there's a few bits and pieces left hanging. Just like real life. But it felt unsatisfactory. Again, just like rea

Cameron
May 14, 2014 Cameron rated it liked it
The second 5 books of the Amber Chronicles were subpar compared to the first.

These books focus on Merlin (Corwin's son) and to begin with I enjoyed the first couple of books as much as I enjoyed Corwin's story. However... Luke, Merlin, and the T'yiga are really the only intersting characters throughout the novels and around book 9 the plot really lost its focus. The trial/quest that Merlin had to go through reminded me of the hellrides that went on... and on... and on in previous books. (view s
Wise_owl
Feb 20, 2012 Wise_owl rated it really liked it
And so the Amber series rounds itself out with this tenth installment? What did I think? That's really hard to say. I think my ultimately opinion reflects much of what other people hav esaid; good series, but the Corwin cycle, that is the first 5, are superior to the Merlin Cycle of the last Five. The later are still emminately enjoyable, but they lack alot of the 'oomph' that carried the others through.

As I had mentioned before, something that was a tad irritating in this series was the way wor
David
Oct 11, 2012 David rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Okay, having read the whole of the "second series" of Amber books (#6-10, starting with Trumps of Doom, I can now say conclusively, "Don't bother."

In the first series, Zelazny had an awesome hero, an awesome universe, and an awesome plot that spanned five (albeit short, by today's standards) books. In this follow-up series, the hero is--if not dumb, at least ignorant and incapable, the universe is made up as he goes (including none of what was awesome about Amber and Shadow), and the plot is dev
Marian
Sep 09, 2008 Marian rated it it was ok
the second Amber series is so mediocre compared to the first. apparently Zelazny did not think the plot through to the end, given the ridiculous number of dropped storylines that didn't amount to anything.
Brenda ╰☆╮
Oh ....Roger....
The world must miss you. I know these particular books are not for everyone, but the imagery in these, make me want more.
More of your stories and imagination.
Ariel Hudnall
Sep 22, 2014 Ariel Hudnall rated it it was amazing
Prince of Chaos is the tenth and final book in The Great Book of Amber, and man, what a closer.

I’ve had a lot of gripes with this series, ranging from stunted character growth to mediocre motivations and waffling plots, but I knew by Chapter Two of this book that they would all be forgiven. In fact, events in that chapter would have resolved me to a five-star rating, even if the rest of the book turned out to be more of the same. The rest of the book just kept getting better and better, however.
Alfred Haplo
Jun 30, 2016 Alfred Haplo rated it really liked it
Shelves: sf-f
As they say, all good things must come to an end. Except that in Prince of Chaos, final book of series, I am hesitant to call it “good” or that it actually ended. More like it… just stopped. After faithfully following all ten books in Chronicles of Amber (COA), albeit only 200+ pages each, I wanted an exciting closure. Like fireworks after the parade. Or the relay runner grabbing the baton for a mad sprint to the finishing line. Not this fizzle or leisure stroll. It should be noted that Zelazny ...more
Ken
Mar 17, 2008 Ken rated it liked it
The final book in Zelazny's Chronicles of Amber is enjoyable, but alas, not among the best in the series. I found that the vivid, interesting characters, normally one of the author's strong suites, were overshadowed here by an overly elaborate plot. I understand why so much had to happen in this book: Zelazny was wrapping up this second part of the Amber series, taking care of all the loose ends built up around Merle in the previous few books. The author does a serviceable job in bringing ...more
Amber Holbin
Sep 13, 2016 Amber Holbin rated it really liked it
I loved the entire Amber/Chaos series. The ending of this book left me wanting though. The ending felt too sudden As if there should have been more. It almost felt like the author got tired of writing and just did a quick wrap up. A little disappointing for such an amazingly detailed series.
Rusty
Aug 29, 2014 Rusty rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have long wanted to read a book by Roger Zelazny but somehow just never got around to it until this novel landed on my shelves. I don't even recall where or when I obtained it. Nevertheless, it deserves comment. I love it when authors create a complex imaginative environment for their tales. It takes so much thought and creativity on the part of the writer to create as well as the reader to visualize and understand. I'm still thinking about this one. And, while I haven't read the earlier ...more
Bob
Sep 21, 2015 Bob rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First things first. I enjoyed the hell out of this, the final book of the second series of Amber books concerning Merlin, son of Corwin.

I read this and it's predecessors years ago. In my recent review of Trumps of Doom, the first of this second Amber series, I recalled some memories of disappointment back in the day but couldn't remember why as I have had a great time rereading these books. But now I have an idea of why I had that long ago impression. Still, this is very much worth the read. How
Michael
Jan 15, 2011 Michael rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, 2011
I had to finish this series against my persistent urge of not wanting to after reading mixed reviews with some of them being terrible. Not to mention the 1-star rating I gave the previous book in the series, but this one somewhat delivers, same as the rest of the series. Every ending has left me somewhat dissatisfied, including this one. I liked it, but I wouldn't recommend this series to anyone. Well, maybe someone who had read all the other better books in the prison library and these were ...more
Eloise Stone
Aug 09, 2016 Eloise Stone rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mulle näib, et kuigi autor on Merlinit mõnikord teenimatult liiga taipamatu udupeana kujutanud, meeldib ta mulle isegi rohkem, kui Corwin. Ja kuigi mõnes vahepealses episoodis selles sarjas kiskus asi kuidagi väga imelikuks ja käest ära, siis siinsetest seiklustest tulev lisainformatsioon nii Amberi, Kaose kui ka vahepealsete varjusüsteemide ning ka Mustri ja Logruse kohta andis kokkuvõttes kuidagi palju parema taustasüsteemi ka esimeses sarjas toimunule. Peaks vist uuesti alustama otsast... :P
Pie Pie
Jul 07, 2014 Pie Pie rated it it was amazing
This book reels you back in to somewhat normalcy. it still takes place in "Chaos" but it is way more normal than the last two books.

the keep of four worlds is never explained which makes me sad ( ie: where it's power comes from seems to be vitally important! ), but the rest of the story comes to a fitting conclusion.

wandering around chaos and learning the world there is incredibly fun.
Tom
Jun 28, 2014 Tom rated it it was amazing
The Amber novels were good companions when I was (sadly...much) younger and it was fun to visit Zelazny's classic fantasies again these long decades later. Still complex in plot with strong, likable characters. Though Zelazny is gone many years now, I hope his tales will enchant generations of coming "tweeners" as much as they did me...
Petya
Sep 10, 2014 Petya rated it it was amazing
Вече за 10-ти път пиша за "Хрониките на Амбър" и не искам да се повтарям:) Затова ще бъда кратка. Супер са всичките книги! "Принц на Хаоса" е книгата с развръзката на историята. Достоен финал. Очаквано добър. Зелазни просто поставя летвата високо от първата книга и съвсем естествено не я сваля до края. Хареса ми много цялата поредица. 5/5! С голямо удоволствие я прочетох. И я препоръчвам!:)
Price
Jun 22, 2016 Price rated it really liked it
A good read. Excellent prose, sometime superlative. Solid story line. A bit frenetic and wild. Many scenes comparable to an acid trip (not that I would know anything about that). Characters and plots twist wildly and the energy poured into the plot(s) is somewhat overwhelming. But it did prove to be a welcome distraction from reality.
Lana
Dec 22, 2014 Lana rated it it was amazing
so the final book in this series is over, there is too many lengthy paragraphs about fencing details and round about ways to getting to the end of this series which i found very repetitive and useless really!! and now i have read the last book and it looks like there is so much more that could have been said!! no way could this be the end as it leaves so many loose ends untied!!
Evelin Haljas
May 02, 2015 Evelin Haljas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
....ja nüüd, kui see läbi on, ei oska ma enam midagi peale hakata. Aga ülejäänu? Zelazny, kuhu jäi ülejäänu?!?
Mira
Apr 11, 2010 Mira rated it it was ok
I expected that the end would reveal something more...
Chris
Jul 04, 2009 Chris rated it it was ok
See "Trumps of Doom."
Newton Nitro
Nov 24, 2016 Newton Nitro rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Um final fantástico para uma série piradaça, doidimais e ultra-mega influente no jeito que se fez fantasia bizarra, ou weird fiction, dos anos 80 para cá!

Prince of Chaos faz o impossível, fechar trocentos arcos narrativos em poucas 200 e algumas páginas, com a maestria da prosa sem firulas (mas com momentos de floreios porque, caraca, é literatura de fantasia e se não tiver uma prosa poetiquinha de vez em quando, é dose né?).

A trama é tão mirabolante e com tantas voltas, reviravoltas, e revelaçõ
Jefferson
Nov 05, 2016 Jefferson rated it it was ok
Finally finished this damn series, and glad to be shut of it. In the first half of the series, Zelazny established a rhythm of events and double-crosses, repeats and re-evaluations that moved closer and closer, spiral-like, to a climax that felt inevitable. Corwin's defeat of Brand and the battle for Chaos put a button on events of the first five books and brought it to a satisfying conclusion.

The second skirted that level of design intermittently, but ultimately chaos reigned. The stylistic rep
Fantasy Book Club...: Prince of Chaos / spoilers ahead 5 17 Oct 27, 2013 11:12AM
Fantasy Book Club...: Prince of Chaos / no spoilers 3 11 Oct 16, 2013 06:32AM
  • Roger Zelazny's Chaos and Amber (Dawn of Amber Trilogy, #2)
  • The Bane of the Black Sword (The Elric Saga, #5)
  • The Variable Man and Other Stories
  • Hypérion 2
  • The Traveler
  • Dragon (Vlad Taltos, #8)
  • The Citadel of the Autarch (The Book of the New Sun #4)
  • The Last Book of Swords: Shieldbreaker's Story (Lost Swords, #8)
  • Nothing Sacred
Roger Zelazny made his name with a group of novellas which demonstrated just how intense an emotional charge could be generated by the stock imagery of sf; the most famous of these is A Rose for Ecclesiastes in which a poet struggles to convince dying and sterile Martians that life is worth continuing. Zelazny continued to write excellent short stories throughout his career. Most of his novels dea ...more
More about Roger Zelazny...

The Chronicles of Amber (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Nine Princes in Amber (The Chronicles of Amber #1)
  • The Guns of Avalon (The Chronicles of Amber #2)
  • Sign of the Unicorn (The Chronicles of Amber #3)
  • The Hand of Oberon (The Chronicles of Amber #4)
  • The Courts of Chaos (The Chronicles of Amber #5)
  • Trumps of Doom (The Chronicles of Amber, #6)
  • Blood of Amber (The Chronicles of Amber #7)
  • Sign of Chaos (The Chronicles of Amber #8)
  • Knight of Shadows (The Chronicles of Amber #9)
  • Manna from Heaven

“Don't wake me for the end of the world unless it has very good special effects.” 156 likes
“...the headwaters of Shit Creek are a cruel and treacherous expanse.” 33 likes