Start by marking “The Dwindling Party” as Want to Read:
The Dwindling Party

The Dwindling Party

4.67 of 5 stars 4.67  ·  rating details  ·  193 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Pop-up illustrations and verses divulge how, one by one, six members of the MacFizzet family monstrously disappear during a visit to Hickyacket Hall, leaving behind only young Neville, who expects "it was all for the best."
Hardcover, Random House Books for Young Readers, 12 pages
Published September 12th 1982 by Random House

To ask other readers questions about The Dwindling Party, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dwindling Party

The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleIn the Night Kitchen by Maurice SendakThe Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian SelznickThe Wolves in the Walls by Neil GaimanThe Lorax by Dr. Seuss
Picture Books With Amazing Art
52nd out of 222 books — 138 voters
The Rice Bag Hammock by Shaeeza HaniffI Know An Old Woman Who Swallowed A Fly by Nikki SmithThe Mitten by Jan BrettDanny Marble and the Application for Non-Scary Things by Jessica McHughThe Mystic Princesses and the Whirlpool by P.J. LaRue
Best Drawings in Picture Books
4th out of 39 books — 38 voters

More lists with this book...

Jane
My father bought this pop-up book at the Smithsonian in the early 1980's for my young daughter. I was told to keep it and only let her read it when she was sitting with me. So the pop-ups still work! A great tale, a little dark but then again my child was a lover of things that were a little dark or odd.

We have toured his home in Sandwich, MA several times - I recommend a visit if you are ever on Cape Cod.
Lysmerry
I've had this book since early childhood.
I still dream about it, and it's instilled in me a lifelong love of secret gardens, urns, and topiary.
As a small child I didn't realize that this this book was morbid or macabre. I simply I played with it and helped the monster hands swoop the family members to oblivion, toying with but never realizing the repercussions of senseless loss.
I've gone through several phases, but always been attracted to gothic elements and even written my own comics- perhap
Lenore Appelhans
Daniel found this in a used bookstore in excellent condition. Only Neville escapes the horrors of this gothic estate, but as we know from The Gashlycrumb Tinies, he later dies of ennui.
Pam
The party dwindles one by one in this awesomely weird pop up book.
Christy Head
Gothic, and unrepentantly, almost matter-of-factly morose and true to Gorey's signature style. This pop-up book has lovely illustrations and the pop-up element seems to detract from rather than add-to the book though it may give the story more appeal to younger children. This is not an especially clever book but still a decent read
Magda
I know I had written a review ...

This childhood favorite of mine was Teddy's first pop-up book. He had been crying, but stopped as I kept reading, opening his eyes for the turning of the page, and was all agog at the pop-up pages.

I enjoyed rereading the rhymes, of course, and wish I had more information on the family.
Erinn
Jun 15, 2008 Erinn rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: humor
I first saw this book as a little girl while in the library. I remember eagerly turning the pages, and being a little confused that someone would make a children's book so morbid.

Now that I have my own copy, I still eagerly turn the pages. But I'm not as confused any more.
Andrew Schwartz
One of my favorite books when I was a child, both for the whimsical drawings and matter-of-fact tone which contrasted so nicely with the macabre subject matter. I used to read it whenever I visited my grandmother in Sarasota. She left me her copy when she passed on.
Jraven
A wonderfully macabre childrens book. The pop-ups and illustrations are very detailed and is a book where you will discover something new almost every time you read the story. One of my favorites as a child. Unfortunately out of print. Published by Random House.
Nancy
I don't know who gave me this book, but I am thankful that they did. I've had this book forever and I *love* it. It's a bit macabre, but that's part of what makes it so fun. Sadly, it's out of print. Luckily for me, I have my own copy. :)
Kim
We had this book as a child before I ever realized how darkly funny it is- I only wish we had kept better care of it and still had the original version.
Autumn
Beautiful Pop-up book. So fun and quirky. Clever and amusing. Wonderful illustrations, of course. Easily one of my favorite Edward Gorey books.
Aja
one of the few books that he did in color, rhymes, and it's a POP-UP!
(everyone dies except the little boy)
Lisbeth Solberg
Fascinatingly creepy. Willy-Wonkian mishaps but without the underlying justice.
Michael Larson
It's an Edward Gorey pop-up book! What more could you ask for in life??
Michael
An awesome gift from an awesome friend. Gorey was such a genius.
Kara

This book scared the &%$@#@* out of me as a child.

Elizabeth
The dwindling party by Edward Gorey (1982)
Valerie
This is my favorite pop-up book.
Brian
Signed first edition
Katey Thompson
Katey Thompson marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2015
Ash Friend
Ash Friend marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2015
[Name Redacted]
[Name Redacted] marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2015
Cupcake
Cupcake marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2015
Chelsey W.
Chelsey W. marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2015
Nikki
Nikki marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2015
Monica
Monica marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2015
  • Maeda@Media
  • Richard Scarry's Great Big Schoolhouse
  • Five Minutes' Peace
  • People
  • Chas Addams Happily Ever After: A Collection of Cartoons to Chill the Heart of Your Loved One
  • Pish, Posh, Said Hieronymus Bosch
  • Halfway Across the Galaxy and Turn Left (Zyrgon, #1)
Born in Chicago, Gorey came from a colorful family; his parents, Helen Dunham Garvey and Edward Lee Gorey, divorced in 1936 when he was 11, then remarried in 1952 when he was 27. One of his step-mothers was Corinna Mura, a cabaret singer who had a brief role in the classic film Casablanca. His father was briefly a journalist. Gorey's maternal great-grandmother, Helen St. John Garvey, was a popular ...more
More about Edward Gorey...
The Gashlycrumb Tinies (The Vinegar Works, #1) Amphigorey Amphigorey Too Amphigorey Also The Doubtful Guest