Start by marking “Barbarian (Sons of the Dark, #1)” as Want to Read:
Barbarian (Sons of the Dark, #1)

Barbarian (Sons of the Dark #1)

Obie hates Los Angeles and all the junk that goes with it-especially trying to fit in at Thomas Turney High School. But with bounty hunters trying to capture him, his Renegade roommates urge him to lay low with his band and forget about ever getting back hoome. it's hard to blend in at school, though, when you've just made enemies with the football team. Obie can't keep aw ...more
Published September 2nd 2004 by Volo (first published September 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Barbarian, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Barbarian

Drucilla
Jan 16, 2013 Drucilla rated it it was ok
Shelves: e
This is a review for the entire series (4 books). This series definitely gets an "It's OK" label both as a standalone series and as a continuation of the Daughters of the Moon series. As a standalone series, the reader's not given much information concerning the big picture and it's frustrating, but you have to remember it was cancelled before we saw where the author had intended to go with it. As a "continuation" of the Daughters of the Moon series, the author kind of dropped the ball. This new ...more
Kathryn
Jul 29, 2011 Kathryn rated it it was ok
This book was just meh. I don't know why the people in these books are trying to get involved with regular girls when any kind of physical affection will ultimately kill these girls. Also, Obie was an idiot, but that shouldn't surprise me. Kyle also was nothing like the way he was written in the last book, so I don't know what to make of that...
Alaska
May 10, 2011 Alaska rated it liked it
I keep thinking about Star Wars whenever I see Obie's name.
The book itself, was okay. But I think I'd be more interested in it if I wasn't reading so many other books at the time, too. (Well, not simotaniously, more like 'Oh, today I'll read this, and maybe later that..')
Katie567
Dec 17, 2010 Katie567 rated it it was amazing
Omg i loved Obie he's my favorite out of boys. I was sad though cause the rest of the books aren't in his point of veiw. :(
Amelia
Nov 23, 2010 Amelia rated it it was amazing
This book is so cool the hair style is just like perfection and rune magic awesome Obie
Ellie Taylor
May 10, 2015 Ellie Taylor rated it it was ok
Okay. I have no idea what this book was about.
I really love the Daughters of the Moon series, and have always considered this author to be a personal favorite, but the one good thing I might say about this novel is that it was an incredibly fast read. Probably because it was just half hearted descriptions about stuff you wanted to skim anyway. I now know a lot more about how unsettling it is to hide in dark shadows amidst glaring neon L.A. lights, then about any of the characters or story(?).
-T
Melanie Fincher
Oct 09, 2012 Melanie Fincher rated it it was ok
Shelves: gave-up-on
I loved some of the ways it was written but it had that over the top fantasy writing style that is beautiful in some sentences but when used for everything the character does even the most mundane of things it gets a bit over the top. I liked Obie as a character i thought he was quite interesting but world of this book was so hard to wrap my head around it especially when the character is outside of the world of which he speaks it makes the book disjointed because then when it comes back to for ...more
Alisha
Jan 15, 2012 Alisha rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-star
The title of this book is Sons of the Dark: Barbarian written by Lynne Ewing. The setting of this story is Los Angeles, California and Nefandus. The main action of the story takes place in Nefandus. It takes place around present time.

The main characters are Obie, Berto, and Kyle. They are believable characters in some ways, because they are given careers that we would normally see in the everyday life. A rock star, an actor, a painter. But they are not normal because they can turn into mist. Tho
Chelsea
May 11, 2008 Chelsea rated it liked it
Shirley
Jan 03, 2009 Shirley rated it did not like it
I would have given this one zero stars had it been an option. It's a quick read for a younger audience. There is some profanity and alcohol use by teens. At times, it is like reading a cheap romance novel. The parallel universe is much more appealing than the L.A. scene. If you want a good fantasy, try Eragon, Eldest, and Brisingr by Paolini.
Jessica
Apr 27, 2008 Jessica rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: 13 and up
Shelves: pre-teen-teens
I am reading my way through a bunch of fantasy novels from the teenage section of my local library. This have an alternate world/escaped slaves/ immortals/ magic and some interesting runes. This is the first in a series. Finished in a night and I plan to get the other 3 in this "Sons of the Dark" series.

Ratforce
Jan 07, 2013 Ratforce added it
Shelves: teen, paranormal
So far there are 13 volumes in the Daughters of the Moon series. There is also a companion series featuring male characters which is called Sons of the Dark. The first book in that series is titled Barbarian.
Natalie
May 12, 2010 Natalie rated it liked it
ughh. this was soo boring. its by lynne ewing!! i thought it'd be as good as DOTM!! but... it wasn't. i never finished this book, it just got too boring. but i did read 2&3. they were pretty boring too, but better than the 1st.
Rachel
Dec 10, 2011 Rachel rated it it was ok
Shelves: own, crappy-romance
You might have to read daughters of the moon to totally understand this book, but it was ok. If you read Daughters of the Moon things that happen at the end of this book might confuse you a little bit but it was ok and i plan on reading the next book in the series.
Cristi
Apr 05, 2014 Cristi rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned-books
This book was fast paced and I enjoyed it. I had read this book like four years ago, but I hadn't continued on with the rest of the series. I own all four books. Like I said this book was really fast paced and it made it really to get into. I would recommend this for fantasy lovers.
Lisa
Jan 06, 2011 Lisa rated it it was ok
Even though this was the first in a series, I was confused at times about the history of the characters and where they were from. I would have liked to have known certain things earlier in the book. But, overall, a fast read with some good bits of dialogue.
Bubbleface91
May 21, 2008 Bubbleface91 rated it really liked it
These are pretty good books but I'm sure the guys would love these books more than girls. If you like fantasy and teen books and you're a girl, then I would definitely recommend Daughters of the Moon.
A'raya Glasco
Apr 12, 2014 A'raya Glasco rated it it was amazing
I just started reading this book 2 days ago and I'm nearly done. This book is a book that fits me because I'm very very picky when it comes to books. So it's hard to find one for me, so I hope the rest are as good as the first one
Hailey/Jimena
Feb 02, 2008 Hailey/Jimena rated it really liked it
similar to daughters of the moon. It's exhilirating and mystical involving some old fashioned legends but mixing in present day problems and settings.
Aleina
Feb 16, 2016 Aleina rated it liked it
Shelves: wishlist
It was good. A quick and interesting read I guess, but it wasn't all that fascinating to me. After the books I had recently read though, I was almost expecting that. :)
Megan
Aug 02, 2015 Megan rated it liked it
I love the Daughters of the moon but the Sons of the Dark just wasn't as great although the last of the Sons of the Dark #4 really had me reeling for the next! Unfortunately it was canceled. :(
Kayla c
this book i just finished las night and it was most defiantly one of the best books i have ever read
Alexandra Cannon
Aug 07, 2010 Alexandra Cannon rated it it was amazing
Page 64! Lol
Camille
Camille rated it really liked it
Mar 30, 2009
(B) Archer at KIPP
(B) Archer at KIPP rated it really liked it
Feb 13, 2008
Katie
Katie rated it it was ok
May 26, 2013
Shannon Haskins
Shannon Haskins rated it really liked it
Jan 17, 2015
Cyndi Pirate
Cyndi Pirate rated it it was ok
Nov 29, 2008
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it really liked it
Oct 11, 2011
Lori Seidler
Lori Seidler rated it liked it
Jul 23, 2011
  • The Witch Hunters (T*Witches, #8)
  • After Hours (The Party Room, #3)
  • Witches' Key to Terror
  • Building a Mystery (T*Witches, #2)
  • Full Circle (Sweep, #14)
  • Revelations (Fingerprints, #6)
  • Spin Control (Royally Jacked, #2)
  • Cleon (Omega Beginnings Miniseries, #7)
  • Curse (Wicked, #2)
  • Wyvernhail (The Kiesha'ra, #5)
Lynne Ewing is an American author and a screen writer.

She always had to move around a lot when she was growing up because her father was in the Marine Corps. She has two sisters. Lynne graduated from high school in Lima, Peru after attending seven other schools. While she was in Peru, she learned to speak Spanish. She attended the University of California at Santa Barbara. When she was 30 years ol
More about Lynne Ewing...

Sons of the Dark (4 books)
  • Escape (Sons of the Dark, #2)
  • Outcast (Sons of the Dark, #3)
  • Night Sun (Sons of the Dark, #4)