Barbarian (Sons of the Dark, #1)

Barbarian (Sons of the Dark #1)

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  827 ratings  ·  33 reviews
Obie hates Los Angeles and all the junk that goes with it-especially trying to fit in at Thomas Turney High School. But with bounty hunters trying to capture him, his Renegade roommates urge him to lay low with his band and forget about ever getting back hoome. it's hard to blend in at school, though, when you've just made enemies with the football team. Obie can't keep aw...more
Published September 1st 2004 by Volo

To ask other readers questions about Barbarian, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Barbarian

City of Bones by Cassandra ClareHush, Hush by Becca FitzpatrickClockwork Angel by Cassandra ClareObsidian by Jennifer L. ArmentroutClockwork Prince by Cassandra Clare
Hot Guys on Covers Making My Heartbeat Fast
51st out of 167 books — 57 voters
Marked by P.C. CastEvermore by Alyson NoelFallen by Lauren KateThe Awakening and The Struggle by L.J. SmithTwilight by Stephenie Meyer
Series I've Given Up On...
377th out of 658 books — 2,632 voters

More lists with this book...

Drucilla
Jan 16, 2013 Drucilla rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: e
This is a review for the entire series (4 books). This series definitely gets an "It's OK" label both as a standalone series and as a continuation of the Daughters of the Moon series. As a standalone series, the reader's not given much information concerning the big picture and it's frustrating, but you have to remember it was cancelled before we saw where the author had intended to go with it. As a "continuation" of the Daughters of the Moon series, the author kind of dropped the ball. This new...more
Kathryn
This book was just meh. I don't know why the people in these books are trying to get involved with regular girls when any kind of physical affection will ultimately kill these girls. Also, Obie was an idiot, but that shouldn't surprise me. Kyle also was nothing like the way he was written in the last book, so I don't know what to make of that...
Alaska
I keep thinking about Star Wars whenever I see Obie's name.
The book itself, was okay. But I think I'd be more interested in it if I wasn't reading so many other books at the time, too. (Well, not simotaniously, more like 'Oh, today I'll read this, and maybe later that..')
Katie567
Omg i loved Obie he's my favorite out of boys. I was sad though cause the rest of the books aren't in his point of veiw. :(
Amelia
This book is so cool the hair style is just like perfection and rune magic awesome Obie
Melanie Fincher
I loved some of the ways it was written but it had that over the top fantasy writing style that is beautiful in some sentences but when used for everything the character does even the most mundane of things it gets a bit over the top. I liked Obie as a character i thought he was quite interesting but world of this book was so hard to wrap my head around it especially when the character is outside of the world of which he speaks it makes the book disjointed because then when it comes back to for...more
Alisha
The title of this book is Sons of the Dark: Barbarian written by Lynne Ewing. The setting of this story is Los Angeles, California and Nefandus. The main action of the story takes place in Nefandus. It takes place around present time.

The main characters are Obie, Berto, and Kyle. They are believable characters in some ways, because they are given careers that we would normally see in the everyday life. A rock star, an actor, a painter. But they are not normal because they can turn into mist. Tho...more
A'raya Glasco
I just started reading this book 2 days ago and I'm nearly done. This book is a book that fits me because I'm very very picky when it comes to books. So it's hard to find one for me, so I hope the rest are as good as the first one
Chelsea
Shirley
I would have given this one zero stars had it been an option. It's a quick read for a younger audience. There is some profanity and alcohol use by teens. At times, it is like reading a cheap romance novel. The parallel universe is much more appealing than the L.A. scene. If you want a good fantasy, try Eragon, Eldest, and Brisingr by Paolini.
Jessica
Apr 30, 2008 Jessica rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: 13 and up
Shelves: pre-teen-teens
I am reading my way through a bunch of fantasy novels from the teenage section of my local library. This have an alternate world/escaped slaves/ immortals/ magic and some interesting runes. This is the first in a series. Finished in a night and I plan to get the other 3 in this "Sons of the Dark" series.

Cristi
This book was fast paced and I enjoyed it. I had read this book like four years ago, but I hadn't continued on with the rest of the series. I own all four books. Like I said this book was really fast paced and it made it really to get into. I would recommend this for fantasy lovers.
Rachel
You might have to read daughters of the moon to totally understand this book, but it was ok. If you read Daughters of the Moon things that happen at the end of this book might confuse you a little bit but it was ok and i plan on reading the next book in the series.
Lisa
Even though this was the first in a series, I was confused at times about the history of the characters and where they were from. I would have liked to have known certain things earlier in the book. But, overall, a fast read with some good bits of dialogue.
Natalie
ughh. this was soo boring. its by lynne ewing!! i thought it'd be as good as DOTM!! but... it wasn't. i never finished this book, it just got too boring. but i did read 2&3. they were pretty boring too, but better than the 1st.
Ratforce
Jan 07, 2013 Ratforce added it
Shelves: paranormal, teen
So far there are 13 volumes in the Daughters of the Moon series. There is also a companion series featuring male characters which is called Sons of the Dark. The first book in that series is titled Barbarian.
Bubbleface91
These are pretty good books but I'm sure the guys would love these books more than girls. If you like fantasy and teen books and you're a girl, then I would definitely recommend Daughters of the Moon.
Hailey/Jimena
similar to daughters of the moon. It's exhilirating and mystical involving some old fashioned legends but mixing in present day problems and settings.
Kayla c
this book i just finished las night and it was most defiantly one of the best books i have ever read
Angie
another quick read. my daughter read all of Ewing's books several times. pretty good story.
Jenna
LOVED IT!!! it really gave me a different point of view compaired to the daughters of the moon povs
Veronica Avila
It is a good book, it gets to the point, no stalling. Its funny, and entertaining, i like it.
Katelyn
Have read some other books by this author and this book is no dissapointment.
Alex
Sons of the Dark #1: Barbarian by Lynne Ewing (2004)
Joti
it was ok --i like daughter of the moon better tho :)
Mary Tillman
Interesting read - will look for the others in the series.
Kat
Oct 28, 2007 Kat rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: fantasy
i liked this series much more than the other one
Reanna Coleman
love it and Obie is seem so sweey
Victoria Newman
Is a great book to read
  • Kindred Spirits (T*Witches, #7)
  • Witches' Night Out
  • Being Dead
  • Revelations (Fingerprints, #6)
  • Familiar
  • Amazing Agent Luna, Volume 1
  • Curse (Wicked, #2)
  • Spin Control (Royally Jacked, #2)
  • Lucky Thirteen (Replica, #11)
  • Awakening (Sweep, #5)
  • Falcondance (The Kiesha'ra, #3)
  • The Dragon's Touchstone
  • The Girlfriend (Point Horror, #19)
Lynne Ewing is an American author and a screen writer.

She always had to move around a lot when she was growing up because her father was in the Marine Corps. She has two sisters. Lynne graduated from high school in Lima, Peru after attending seven other schools. While she was in Peru, she learned to speak Spanish. She attended the University of California at Santa Barbara. When she was 30 years ol...more
More about Lynne Ewing...
Goddess of the Night (Daughters of the Moon, #1) Into the Cold Fire (Daughters of the Moon, #2) Night Shade (Daughters of the Moon, #3) The Secret Scroll (Daughters of the Moon, #4) The Sacrifice (Daughters of the Moon, #5)