Start by marking “Runner's World Complete Book of Beginning Running” as Want to Read:
Runner's World Complete Book of Beginning Running

Runner's World Complete Book of Beginning Running

3.56  ·  Rating Details  ·  173 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
Runner's World Complete Book of Beginning Running by Amby Burfoot is the newest addition to the heralded Runner's World series focuses exclusively on the concerns of the tens of thousands of new runners who take up the sport every year.

Recognizing that newcomers to a sport need all the help they can get, Runner's World now devotes an entire book to guiding the beginning ru
Published March 2nd 2005 by Rodale Books (first published January 7th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Runner's World Complete Book of Beginning Running, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Runner's World Complete Book of Beginning Running

May 11, 2009 Laura rated it it was amazing
This was a really informative read. I learned a lot about how to start a running program and it's a book I can see myself going back to as a reference guide. My one complaint is that Oprah is mentioned a little too much.
Aj
Jun 05, 2009 Aj rated it really liked it
I've been running for under a year and have completed 1 5K and have a 5-miler in a few weeks. I've also had a knee injury already and had to deal with surgery (un-related to the knee injury or running). AND I'm a full time grad student and work part-time. Needless to say it can be hard to be motivated and stay committed, let alone develop an effective training program. I read this book and took notes in my training log. I think it will be a useful resource for improving my strength, endurance, s ...more
Feb 17, 2010 Sarah rated it really liked it
I already mentioned much of what I wanted to say in my comment back to Dan, but I'll say it again: this book made me even more excited to be a runner. I found the sections about improving your running to be especially helpful, and plan to incorporate some of the training plans into my running once my mini-marathon training is over. As someone who cares about food as well, it was heartening to see an emphasis placed on healthy eating. The food advice this book gave was good, solid advice: to eat ...more
Jess
Jun 05, 2010 Jess rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2010
Burfoot, a big name in the running field because of his work as editor-at-large of Runner's World magazine, put together an epic book of beginning running. While none of the material is different from what you would find scattered around the RW Web site or on various running blogs, it's nicely put together in an easily accessible format. The tips and motivations in this book are great, and I really appreciated the section on injury prevention.

For anyone who is starting to run or is interested in
Suzanne Arcand
Feb 16, 2014 Suzanne Arcand rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
As literature it's pretty prosaic and I didn't learn anything new but for a beginning runner it's fairly motivating.
Diane
Jan 12, 2009 Diane rated it liked it
Recommends it for: beginning runners
Shelves:
I've started running as of the first of 2009. I got the book to at a minimum sit on the coffee table and remind me of my commitment. It's a big book. I'm not sure why. Beginners can't begin to need all that's in the book, but I've skimmed through chapters and found a good bit of what seems to be relevant to actual beginning runners and not intermediate runners. There's a lot of repetition in overlapping chapters, but that's not all bad as it acts as review.
David
Mar 02, 2013 David rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cleanskin
Just started a weekly 5km fun run and thought I would flick through a few books for some hints. (To reduce the appearance of being an over heated dying fish flopping on the ground at the end of the race). This gives the appearance of being more of a motivational book than a "how to" book. Maybe useful for those who want to take the idea of running more seriously but have trouble getting out of a bean bag
Laura McLean
Oct 01, 2012 Laura McLean rated it liked it
Mostly boring, skippable motivational quotes/tips as well as advice both redundant and contradictory. ("Always eat an hour before you run/Run first thing in the morning, right after you wake up" had me especially confused.) Looks like it might have some promising training advice for later on down the road when I'm finally finished with my 5K training and looking for the next goal, though.
Gwen
Jan 21, 2009 Gwen rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: non-runners and runners
Shelves: non-fiction
I've read this book several times and each time I get something new. It always helps to motivate me when I start a new running program and plus it helps to get my motivation back when I'm feeling a little behind in wanting to run again. I especially like the training programs they have set up in the back for those who are starting out running. All of it is so helpful.
Morgan Salvador
May 04, 2010 Morgan Salvador rated it really liked it
While disorganized and repetitious, this book did contain great information for beginner runners like me. I think that with some careful editing the book could have been half as long and just as effective. Even so, I’m glad I read this book in particular and am currently using the 8-week training plan highlighted at the end.
Becca
Mar 04, 2009 Becca rated it liked it
Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to Becca by: Amazon
I really like how the author seems to be encouraging the reader -- no pressure sales or guilt, just "you can do it" and "well, if it didn't work, try it again!" I was going to just read this book and then return it but, from page 1, I can definitely see myself going back to this book time and time again.
Tracy
Nov 15, 2010 Tracy rated it it was amazing
Lot's of good information for someone who has decided to learn to run. It's by the publishers of Runner's World magazine and includes lots of tips from their readers. The last few chapters are training schedules to get you started or take you to the next level.
Heather
Mar 03, 2009 Heather rated it liked it
The textbook of running… a good general all around text with more emphasis on nutrition than others, which I appreciated. A bit too wordy/campy, but overall a good opening text with examples, life lessons, and information.
Mara Gaulzetti
Apr 13, 2011 Mara Gaulzetti rated it liked it
It's a good intro to running, I read it a while back, and when I was back at my parents' house I saw it on my bookshelf and had a look through it again. I mean someone named Amby Burfoot was born to run, no?
Tanya
Feb 22, 2010 Tanya rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: running-books
Nice beginner book with lots of lovely pictures of healthy people to inspire you into pounding the streets. probably the first running book I bought and I still dip into it for tips and motivation.
Hope
Jul 06, 2013 Hope rated it liked it
A good introduction to running, full of solid information-- if a bit dated. Definitely meant to be picked up and browsed rather than read straight through, it is more like a magazine.
Hakeem
Oct 19, 2010 Hakeem rated it liked it
The book is helpful only if you need too many reasons to start running. If you've already started, it's use is quite limited. The writing is good and easy to follow.
Megan
Jun 20, 2012 Megan rated it really liked it
Not the easiest book for me to just read through because of the format, but it was full of good information and advice on every aspect of running.
Janice
Jul 16, 2009 Janice rated it it was ok
While this one contains a lot of good information, it's not outstanding in any way. I learned something, sure, but was not inspired at all.
Claudia
Jun 18, 2012 Claudia rated it liked it
Helpful overall but the photos seem to be stock photos and are incredibly cheesy.
Shannon Dillman
Apr 23, 2013 Shannon Dillman rated it it was amazing
Shelves: health
Pretty good book. Highly recommend for beginning runners.
David
Nov 26, 2013 David rated it it was ok
Shelves: cask-wine
a little too basic
April Vaughn
April Vaughn marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2016
Two Readers in Love
Two Readers in Love rated it liked it
Feb 02, 2016
Laura marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2016
Rose McGregor
Rose McGregor marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016
E Ryan
E Ryan marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2016
Mardee
Mardee is currently reading it
Jan 19, 2016
Barbie Herbst
Barbie Herbst rated it it was amazing
Jan 19, 2016
Isabelle Johnson
Isabelle Johnson rated it it was amazing
Jan 18, 2016
  • The Beginning Runner's Handbook: The Proven 13-Week Walk/Run Program
  • Running for Mortals: A Commonsense Plan for Changing Your Life With Running
  • Running and Walking for Women Over 40: The Road to Sanity and Vanity
  • The Athlete's Guide to Yoga: An Integrated Approach to Strength, Flexibility, & Focus
  • The Complete Book of Running For Women
  • Runner's World Complete Book of Women's Running: The Best Advice to Get Started, Stay Motivated, Lose Weight, Run Injury-Free, Be Safe, and Train for Any Distance
  • Chicken Soup for the Soul: Runners: 101 Inspirational Stories of Energy, Endurance, and Endorphins
  • The New Rules of Marathon and Half-Marathon Nutrition: A Cutting-Edge Plan to Fuel Your Body Beyond "the Wall"
  • Running--Getting Started
  • The Carbohydrate Addict's Diet: The Lifelong Solution to Yo-Yo Dieting
  • Every Woman's Guide to Cycling: Everything You Need to Know, From Buying Your First Bike toWinning Your First Ra ce
  • The Obesity Myth: Why America's Obsession with Weight is Hazardous to Your Health
  • The Story of Science: Einstein Adds a New Dimension: Einstein Adds a New Dimension
  • Mankind: The Story of All Of Us
  • Attention Deficit Disorder: A Different Perception
  • Get the Sugar Out: 501 Simple Ways to Cut the Sugar Out of Any Diet
  • Hal Koerner's Field Guide to Ultrarunning: Training for an Ultramarathon from 50K to 100 Miles and Beyond
  • Chi Marathon: The Breakthrough Natural Running Program for a Pain-Free Half Marathon and Marathon