Start by marking “Dragonflight (Pern, #1)” as Want to Read:
Dragonflight (Pern, #1)

Dragonflight (Dragonriders of Pern #1)

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  68,676 ratings  ·  1,608 reviews
HOW CAN ONE GIRL SAVE AN ENTIRE WORLD?

To the nobles who live in Benden Weyr, Lessa is nothing but a ragged kitchen girl. For most of her life she has survived by serving those who betrayed her father and took over his lands. Now the time has come for Lessa to shed her disguise—and take back her stolen birthright.

But everything changes when she meets a queen dragon. The bo...more
Published July 26th 2005 by Del Rey (first published 1968)

To ask other readers questions about Dragonflight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dragonflight

Ender's Game by Orson Scott CardDune by Frank Herbert1984 by George OrwellFahrenheit 451 by Ray BradburyBrave New World by Aldous Huxley
Best Science Fiction & Fantasy Books
41st out of 4,328 books — 15,689 voters
Eragon by Christopher PaoliniThe Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienEldest by Christopher PaoliniBrisingr by Christopher PaoliniDragonflight by Anne McCaffrey
Dragons
5th out of 801 books — 1,550 voters

More lists with this book...

Mike
Feb 09, 2008 Mike rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Nobody
What a disappointment. It started out just fine with Lessa, sole survivor of her family wreaking revenge on the evil dude who conquered "Ruatha Hold". The whole dragon/human mind meld thing was okay too. The part that really disgusted me was the whole raping/physical abuse shtick by the supposed hero. My thoughts were, if this was my daughter as the heroine, then the only thing to be done would "bag and tag" that F'lar a**hole cause I would have invented the .45 cal and then blown his head off w...more
Brad
Lately I have been noticing a recurring observation about the quality of first books in various series. There seems to be a growing consensus in reviews that the first book of a series, particularly if it is the first book published by an author, is inherently weak because the author is "learning their craft."

It seems to be both an excuse for what is perceived as poor quality and an excuse for going on in the series despite being underwhelmed by the opener.

I had this in mind as I began reading...more
Jessica
It should be stated that I squandered most of junior high reading Anne McCaffrey's sci-fi/fantasy novels near-exclusively, but this was my first time revisiting her since then. I was surprised to find that the first book in the Dragonriders of Pern series actually does have a good story, with interesting characters and an excellent invented world. However, the writing is just abominable, and in spite of being a woman, McCaffrey is frustratingly chauvanistic. The (lack of) copyediting makes me cr...more
Libby
I truly enjoyed this book and am looking forward to continuing with the series. This work is a well-written, creative adventure novel with the perfect amount of romance. It’s storytelling at its best.

The book is a nice mix of Science Fiction and Fantasy. The setting is the world of Pern. We are told in the Prologue that Pern is a planet settled by Earthlings but now long forgotten. It has apparently reverted back to a feudal type society where most of the citizens live in “holds” which are hist...more
David Sven
A quick and easy read. The world building is light with a lot of unanswered questions, but I'm assured that the series as a whole "fills out" in that regard. I enjoyed it.

The prologue had me doing a double take because it was pure scifi, with Pern being one of many colonised planets which eventually became isolated and forgotten by Earth. The technology then regressed to the more fantasy feel medieval style setting. There are dragons, but even these are indigenous animals that have been bred to...more
Sean
Mar 18, 2008 Sean rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: sci-fi
The Dragonriders of Pern series really caught my imagination back in my preteen/early-teen years, when I picked up a library copy of The Renegades of Pern that my mom had put down. I next read All the Weyrs of Pern (thrilling at the brilliant cover art by Michael Whelan) and then started from the beginning, whipping through Dragonflight, Dragonquest, The White Dragon, Moreta, Nerilka's Story and the Harper Hall Trilogy.

I recently had the urge to revisit those carefree years of meaningless scienc...more
Vivian Archer
10/2014 Buddy Reread: Reliving my preteen years with Don

Once relieved of imminent danger, Pern settled into a more comfortable way of life. The descendants of heroes fell into disfavor, as the legends fell into disrepute.

Hooray! This book was as good as I remembered. The Pern books had a huge influence on my preadolescent self and I was a little nervous about rereading it and finding out that it wasn't as good. Afraid that it would destroy the related memories I made while reading these stories...more
Steph
I read this book back in sixth grade and thought it was exciting in the "wow, dragons are so cool; I wish I had one!" sense. I read it again on a whim and found it unintentionally disturbing. It's not just that the writing seemed dry and the characterization wooden. I realize the book was written in the late 60's, but the male-female dynamics still seem uncomfortably dated. The text seems to condone F'lar's treatment of Lessa; he patronizes her, yells at her, shakes her when he's angry, and prac...more
Sandra
As this book was written in 1968, I'm sure everything that could be said, has been said. I'm just amazed at Anne McCaffrey's skill in crafting such a wonderful book. It feels as fresh as the day it was written.

This is the story of the planet Pern, dragons, dragonryders, and Threads that come from the Red Star every couple of hundred years.

No heavy world building here, just the world as is. As of course, it really must be!

I want a dragon of my own, right now!

Love this book and I'll be reading m...more
Alex Ristea
Dragonflight is a "classic" (take that definition as you will) that merits a read, even if that's just to understand the history of the genre a bit better.

The best part of the book was undoubtedly McCaffrey's dragon imagery—anything that had to do with the their relationship with their riders, the feeling of them taking flight, or their general mannerisms. I wish I had picked this up in my younger days, as I'm sure the dragons alone would have captivated my fledgling mind, and I would have soake...more
Apatt
I read a few Pern books in my teen, I thought they were readable but at the time I was not all that taken with them. At that age I was not too discerning, I cared nothing for characterization, dialogue or prose. I read only for fun and escapism, not for the artistry of the works. Well, I am way out of my teen now, and I have cultivated an appreciation finesse to compensate for my own deficiency in that department.

Since her recent passing tributes have been pouring in for Anne McCaffrey from nume...more
Callum
2.5 Stars

It wasn't difficult for me to ply myself in nineteen-seventies science fiction fantasy. The retro-singularity enmeshed with a keen sense of aesthetic majesty made for a more resplendent piece, yet I found very seldom to enjoy in Dragonflight. Unfortunately, the strongest aspects of Dragonflight had little sway in progressing the story, as opposed to structuring the setting around it.

I was particularly interested in the feminist appeal Anne McCaffrey would deluge but, surprisingly, ther...more
Jenny (Reading Envy)
Mar 31, 2013 Jenny (Reading Envy) rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Jenny (Reading Envy) by: Veronica Belmont
This is the April pick for the Sword and Laser book club. I found it as an ebook through my local library's holdings and zipped through it this weekend.

This is clearly a book I probably would have connected with more if I'd first read it as a youngling, before I was old and jaded about dragons and romance. I can see how this book set many things for the dragon-and-rider subgenre, alongside dragonrider-dragonrider romance. The story is interesting, especially the somewhat complicated social code...more
Stephen
3.0 to 3.5 stars. Really like the premise of the story and the descriptions of the dragons and their relationship with the riders. The plot was not quite as good as I would have hoped but it is still a good read.
Corinne
Dragonflight takes you through Lessa's journey into the world of dragon riding in Pern. The book lacked character development and I barely connected with the main characters, let along the dozens of bizarre names that would fly by. I read this as an e-book and at the end there was probably 15 pages just explaining terms and who is who (would have been helpful to know earlier...). While those things can be great, as a reader I shouldn't NEED those, the protagonists journey should suffice in intro...more
Kim
When something mentions fantasy/sci-fi and dragons the first thing that comes to most peoples minds is Pern. Even if they haven't read it. I've been hearing about the Pern books for as long as I've been reading those genres. I can remember looking at the books in the library as a kid and picking them up from shelves in bookstores but for some reason I never read a single one.

With this year being about challenging my reading habits and having to choose something for fantasy I thought it high time...more
Lilyan
This whole review is a "Spoiler" so don't read it. On the other hand, nothing interesting happens in the book anyway, so might as well save yourself the trouble of reading the actual book.

People of Pern: What's that in the sky! Is it a bird? Is it a Plane? Is it SUPERMAN? Ugh, no.. It's those goddamned Dragonmen, trying to filch our resources.

Dragon People We are Dragonmen! We will protect you from the evil threads!

Evil Threads:

People of Pern: Sod off, there's no such thing.

Lessa: Aha! The dr...more
April
Oct 21, 2008 April rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Mrs. Czahor
Recommended to April by: Mrs. Czahor
DO NOT READ THIS!!!DO NOT READ THIS!!!DO NOT READ THIS!!!DO NOT READ THIS!!!NOT READ THIS!!!DO NOT READ THIS!!!DO NOT READ THIS!!!DO NOT READ THIS!!!DO NOT READ THIS!!!DO NOT READ THIS!!!DO NOT READ THIS!!!DO NOT READ THIS!!!DO NOT READ THIS!!!DO NOT READ THIS!!!DO NOT READ THIS!!!DO NOT READ THIS!!!DO NOT READ THIS!!!DO NOT READ THIS!!!DO NOT READ THIS!!!DO NOT READ THIS!!!DO NOT READ THIS!!!DO NOT READ THIS!!!DO NOT READ THIS!!!DO NOT READ THIS!!!DO NOT READ THIS!!!DO NOT READ THIS!!!DO NOT RE...more
Veronica Belmont
I took this review from a 5-star to a 4-star in my rereading. It's Dragonflight still an excellent book? Yes. But perhaps I read now with more of a critical eye than I did almost 20 years ago.

The Chronicles of Pern contain some of the most believable and relatable dragons in fantasy, and they're truly the mold from which other dragons in the genre are cut. However, I find my issues now revolve around the human characters in the story.

Lessa and F'lar, specifically, seem pulled from a YA novel of...more
Ricky Ganci
Well, it was better than Eragon. This is a very cool book—a welcome literary repast. Upon reading the introduction, I thought it was going to be hard fantasy-laced science fiction, but then it settled nicely into being a very traditional fantasy setting. Other newer series that I’ve read seem to draw much from the set up of McCaffrey’s Pern, and the Hold system, complete with Craftmasters, seems to indicate more than a little inspiration to Ranger’s Apprentice. The traditional medieval setting s...more
Curtiss
I first read this when it was serialized in Analog Science Fiction/Science Fact magazine way back in 1967; I still have all three issues. Its a story of "revenge served cold" in which the heroine Lessa of Ruatha uses her latent psychic powers to bring about the doom of the man who murdered her entire family when she was just a girl. At a later point in the story we learn how Lessa was warned in time to save herself from also being slaughtered by the renegade Fax.

We also learn that Lessa's world...more
Cassy
Dec 14, 2009 Cassy rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Stephenie Meyer
This book was good. Adequate might be an even better adjective.

In fact, my husband asked if I wanted to go to the bookstore to buy the next book. (He is a very good husband who has continually witnessed me get sucked into fantasy series.) My answer was "huh, it never even crossed my mind to continue the series." One book was enough. I'm glad I read it for a bit of enjoyment and to sample McCaffrey's writing, but I am done.

I liked the use of dragons, but the author didn't offer anything new to...more
Rob
As I did not particularly care for this book, I'm forgoing the usual format and just writing a quick review. I read this book as the April pick for Sword & Laser. I was vaguely aware of it being considered one of the "classics" of fantasy. It hadn't really been on my radar as something I wanted to read.

In fact I had this feeling (based partially on discussing it with a friend who just read it for the first time recently) that I wasn't going to like it, so I borrowed it from the library rathe...more
February Four
It was interesting in the beginning, but by the time we got to Lessa's Impression I was thinking about other things I could be doing with my time. I don't mean to be critical of a published author ... no, I do. >_> 1980 words to infodump over the course of scribbling a poem. No wonder the book is 82,000+ words. Please, dear god, let me never commit this sin. And don't even get me started on the sentences. *wincing* Ouch. My ESL students could make sentences that made more sense than that.
Inspired Kathy
I really enjoyed this book. The first 20 pages were completely confusing and I couldn't figure out what anything meant: weyr, between, watch-wher, hold? And the names in the book were so weird: F'lar, Mnementh, F'nor... But I'm glad I kept reading. After about 20 pages I started to love this book. Despite having little time to devote to reading I finished it in less than 3 days.
Don Bradshaw
Read as a Buddy read with Vivian.
This was my second flight back to Benden Weyr and it was just as amazing now as it was when I was a teen. F'lar and F'nor are still as hot as ever especially in their leathers. F'lar is my man, a careful thinker, rule follower and seriously devoted leader. F'nor is just a little too fast and loose for me plus he's a follower. Lessa is just a firebrand and the perfect foil for F'lar. She has brass balls and while she is impulsive, she does respect the old laws a...more
Wendy Browne
I probably would have appreciated this more had I read it when I was younger. Now, I grow tired of books where it's a shock for a woman to accomplish things. Still, the dragons were cool.
Ellis
Jul 30, 2013 Ellis marked it as to-read
Recommended to Ellis by: Khanh (Kittens, Rainbows, and Sunshine)

So yes, uhm ... intrigued.
Anila
I'm going to drop a quick note here because I've been thinking about it, but I haven't read this book recently enough to write a real review.

This book is the most out of whack with the rest of its series. Here, there is no pretense of science fiction, whereas as the series progresses it is clear that McCaffrey made a decision to change genres. Fencing appears nowhere else in the books, and the implication that Lessa was somehow protected by a magical connection with her Hold is never brought up...more
terpkristin
Another one I read ages ago but currently have on my iPhone or Kindle to re-read. I remember loving Pern--and "blame" Anne McCaffrey for getting me into science fiction and fantasy (well, her among others).

So, this ended up as the Sword & Laser pick for April, 2013. After a very slow start, where I had a hard time getting into the book, I felt like it finally "clicked" for me about halfway through. Once I got about halfway through, I finished pretty quickly. I'm still stumped by the slow sta...more
  • Anne McCaffrey's Dragonflight #1
  • The Dragonlover's Guide to Pern
  • Dragonsblood (Pern, #18)
  • The People of Pern
  • The Atlas of Pern
  • The Elvenbane (Halfblood Chronicles, #1)
  • By the Sword (Valdemar: Kerowyn's Tale, #1)
  • The Star Scroll (Dragon Prince, #2)
  • The Forbidden Tower (Darkover, #12)
Anne McCaffrey was born on April 1st, 1926, in Cambridge, Massachusetts, at 1:30 p.m., in the hour of the Sheep, year of the Fire Tiger, sun sign Aries with Taurus rising and Leo mid-heaven (which seems to suggest an early interest in the stars).

Her parents were George Herbert McCaffrey, BA, MA PhD (Harvard), Colonel USA Army (retired), and Anne Dorothy McElroy McCaffrey, estate agent. She had two...more
More about Anne McCaffrey...
Dragonsong (Harper Hall, #1) The White Dragon (Pern, #3) Dragonsinger (Harper Hall, #2) Dragonquest (Pern, #2) Dragondrums (Harper Hall, #3)

“Dragon kind was no less cruel than mankind. The Dragon, at least, acted from bestial need rather than bestial greed.”
~ A thought by Lessa ~”
22 likes
“My eyes are green, my hair is silver and I freckly; the rest is subject to change without notice.” 14 likes