Doing a Literature Review: Releasing the Social Science Research Imagination

Doing a Literature Review: Releasing the Social Science Research Imagination

3.44 of 5 stars 3.44  ·  rating details  ·  43 ratings  ·  5 reviews
This book can provide an excellent framework for bolstering what is often an experiential process - doing a literature review. It is best seen alongside the supervisor, as a guide, through the multidimensional sea of academic literature' - "British Educational Research Journal "

I have been waiting for this book for five years. It sets out a number of important dimensions i...more
Published March 1st 1999 by Sage Publications (CA) (first published November 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Doing a Literature Review, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Doing a Literature Review

Katie
I picked this book up after hearing good reviews from a few of my PhD student twitter mates. I have never put together a formal literature review the size of a dissertation before, and needing help with my analytical and social science writing skills I thought this book would be a good fit. I was especially excited about this text as it is written by a scholar in the information science field.

What this book does well is present schemas and and frameworks for organizing and analyzing texts and I...more
Glenn
This book gave me a lot of good points to consider before writing the dissertation for an MA. The book covers not only how to research information but how to approach critically evaluating research. Discussion of Fisher's (1993) approach to argumentation analysis was extremely helpful and whilst I would have liked more discussion on inference indicators, I was able to take themes and ideas from the book and follow them up. My overall impression is that this book offers more an opportunity to cri...more
k8inorbit
Nov 07, 2007 k8inorbit rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: thesis and paper writers
Shelves: academic
This is a very very very comprehensive and detailed intro to writing a lit review. The overview is interesting, but I can't help feeling like this could also just all be simplified into a really handy 5-10 page handout.
Taruia
Comprehensive without introducing any startling revelations.
Siti Sauda
Siti Sauda marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2014
Abdihakim Mohamed
Abdihakim Mohamed marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
Ahmad Hajali
Ahmad Hajali marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Chris
Chris is currently reading it
Jul 05, 2014
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2014
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2014
Becca wadeley
Becca wadeley marked it as to-read
May 15, 2014
Amy Robson
Amy Robson marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2014
Phil
Phil is currently reading it
Apr 16, 2014
Michael Young
Michael Young marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
May 24, 2014
Kahn Saab
Kahn Saab marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
More about Christopher Hart...
Doing a Literature Search: A Comprehensive Guide for the Social Sciences Cognitive Linguistics In Critical Discourse Analysis: Application And Theory Doing Your Masters Dissertation Critical Discourse Analysis and Cognitive Science: New Perspectives on Immigration Discourse Critical Discourse Studies in Context and Cognition