Freedom's Challenge (Catteni, #3)

Freedom's Challenge (Catteni #3)

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  4,120 ratings  ·  37 reviews
The alien Catteni invaded Earth and enslaved thousands of humans on the planet Botany, where they struggle to survive while colonizing the world for their overseers. Now that they’ve proved Botany is capable of sustaining life, Kris Bjornsen and her fellow settlers have no intention of surrendering the home they’ve created for themselves…

Armed with the knowledge that the...more
Published June 1st 1999 by Ace (first published May 1st 1998)

A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol)
4.5

*Book source ~ Home library

The dropped survivors on Botany have come a long way from those first days when they had virtually nothing. They are living very well with many comforts of home and they are at the brink of ending the Eosi domination of several species and many planets and Kris Bjornson and Zainal are at the center of things. Making a good life on Botany isn’t enough for Zainal though. He intends to destroy the Eosi for enslaving his people for two thousand years and for enslaving o...more
kingshearte
OK, I really would like to talk more about the story, but I'm just so distracted by what McCaffrey has made Kris into, which is truly appalling. In the last book, I was incensed because Kris was, in effect, raped while drunk. Bad enough that McCaffrey trivialized the fact that that does happen to women by treating it as no big deal, and even making it into an "oopsie!" that Kris just accidentally cheated on her man. But would you believe that it happens again in book 3? This time I definitely wo...more
Jan
Good conclusion of the first 3 books. There's a lot of flaws in it. (Everything still goes way to easy, more drunken baby-creating without any remorse thoughts about the cheating factor, and a whole bunch of in-consequent stuff like pacifist Zainal suddenly becoming way less pacifist).

However, I forgive it a lot because of the fairly exciting story-line (survivalism mixed with war is really good stuff). But mostly because of the consequent non-bigotry policy on Botany. I loved that they didn't w...more
Kat
I enjoyed this installment of the Catteni/Freedom series more than the previous one, although many of the same flaws still apply. There are still too many characters with proper names and not enough descriptors to keep track of, and events unfold with very little in the way of real drama. When things happen, even when they are supposedly fraught with danger, they always work out with no or minimal problems, which leeches the tension away. Still, it is a light, fun read with Zainel and the other...more
Savanah
Aug 20, 2009 Savanah rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: steph
this book is cool, if you don't mind a alien book. a girl that falls in love with a cati. WOW. and goes on weird an awsome adventures! trust me if you like this than you should read it!
Libby
Unfortunately, I'm disliking the writing in the series more as I reread it. Still like the characters enough to continue, plus my natural impulse is to finish a book once I've started!
Mike (the Paladin)
Called a space opera...good word.
Julianna
I enjoyed this book though not as much as the previous books in this series. McCaffrey's characters are believable. The story is expertly detailed without becoming bogged down, and the plot is simplistic but good.
Freedom's Challenge(1998)is the continued story of the group of slaves, both human and alien, that were left on the planet "Botany" by the Catteni.
Emassi Zainal is doing more than learning English and teaching the Colonist to speak Catten. Together they're making plans to join forces...more
Al
From Library Journal

Abandoned on the planet Botany by their Catteni masters, a group of humans and other enslaved races now seeks to reclaim their worlds for themselves. This third installment of a series that includes Freedom's Landing (LJ 4/15/95) and Freedom's Choice (LJ 5/15/97) chronicles the stages of the war for liberation, from the theft of Catteni ships to the liberation of cargoes of slave laborers to a bold strike at the heart of the oppressor. McCaffrey excels as a storyteller and

Brian Schiebout
Freedom's Challenge by Anne McCaffrey is the third book in the Catteni Sequence. The story continues to follow the main characters although this story focuses much more exclusively on the perspective of Kris Bjornson than either of the first two did. The colonists have come up with an audacious plan where they attempt to work with rebel groups which are active on both earth and Catten. The main focus of the book deals with the missions to Catten where Kris and her lover Zainal play important rol...more
Mick
I have read much science fiction and fantasy but I must express my utter disgust that the paper that went into making this piece of **** wasnt more recyclable which would have been its only redeeming feature. A lead female character who is a "ho"; a take your brain out and put it in a receptacle "Barbara cartland writes sci-fi" awful piece of "work" that means I will never ever touch never mind so called read another of this failed individuals impoverished works. There are other incredibly bad p...more
Erin Edgar
This book is the final installment of a 3-part series. I enjoyed the first book, Freedom's Landing, which dealt with enslaved human beings dropped onto a habitable planet to survive--or not--as punishment. The second and third books dealt with the struggles of humanity and the other enslaved races to regain independence. Overall, the series was readable, although far from Anne McCaffrey's best work. The third book was the least enjoyable; it read more like a newspaper account than a fictional st...more
♆ BookAddict ~ La Crimson Femme
I loved this series with the Catteni, cat like people. Zainal impressed me in the first two books and in this eagerly awaited 3rd book, he's still pretty awesome. What I liked about this book is the way people came together and fought back. After reading this series, I went into a survival mode kick. I read survival books and wanted to be able to add something to the table in the event of a catastrophic event.

Kris and Zainal's relationship deepens and I see how well they work together as partner...more
Chris
More of the same as the first two books. I never really felt the urgency, struggle, or close calls you might associate with a titular "Challenge." I like Kris progressively less with each book (do something stupid once and it's a plot device, do the exact stupid thing again and it shows utter lack of character growth). I've lost all respect for her. Zainal is still pretty cool. There are times when McCaffrey really belabors the point, and I can't stand that every crazy scheme goes through flawle...more
Meghan
Not sure if I was just tired of this group of people, or what. As with other reviewers, the drunken cheating scene failed to impress me (I didn't necessarily see it as rape, I admit). If she is THAT in love with her Cattini (pretty important in earlier books), why is she throwing herself at the first man to come along? Oh, wait, she was disappointed and angry.. uh. Too much of a departure from a strong character for me.

I failed to finish this third book, despite loving the first two in the serie...more
S.A. Parham
It was a worthwhile read and a good conclusion to the events of the first two books. However, it suffers from the typical heroine-as-pure-and-righteous syndrome, and at least one supporting character was changed completely from book 1 just to be a thorn to the heroine. The heroine conceives another child through drunkenness again! POV shifts made this book hard to read as well.
Kat
I really like the concept of the Farmers who protect them until they are free. The Farmers will not let them harm other's and they try to keep open minded ness about the different species. I missed the second book so need to find it as I want to know more about them.
Steve
A decent ending to the trilogy (or as it turns out there were 4?), but a significant step down in the excitement that the first two stories had to offer. The characters seemed to change substantially, which was confusing.
Shawn Thrasher
She's not such a great writer anymore, but she still tells a damn good tale. Her characters aren't very likable though and this was a bit too military SF for my taste. Still, I finished three of them all in a row!
Becca
I enjoyed the first two books in this series so much that I flew through them, but this one just kind of stopped me cold. Can't place my finger on just what bothered me about the story though so I'll still recommend it.
Kyra Dunst
I don't normally read Sci-Fi, but McCaffrey is one of my favorite authors, so I gave this series a try. Kris and Zainal are an engaging couple, and born leaders. I loved this series.
Karen
Ok - so not her best series - I really didn't mind this book, it wasn't great, it wasn't horrible, it just kind of was. The story moved along enough that I wanted to finish it.

Loved it! Can't wait to pick up the next book! I don't know why everyone else hates it? This is the 3r time I've read this series and I find new details every time.
Cary Spratt
A bit more interesting than the first two, as the colonists of Botany use their acquired ships for trips to Catten & Earth and ultimately to overthrow the Eosi.
Courtney Lyons-garcia
Liked everything but the drunken sex part, for a leader of the colony who is supposedly in live with her mate she sleeps around too easily.
Crystal Lipke
It's been a long time since I read this one but I do remember it being pretty good. I submerged myself into the Freedom series though.
Theresa
The colony is free, the Cattine are rebelling from their over masters how can the human race and their new allies remain free.
Alex
This and the two earlier in the series were obviously the only books available to me at the time. All three are truly awful.
Sharon
I lost the thread of the narrative by this point and, even though I've read it several times I can't really recall the action.
Sarahz
Everything falls into place a little too neatly sometimes, but it's a really good resolution to the series.
  • Dragonsblood (Pern, #18)
  • The People of Pern
  • The Ship Errant (Brainship, #6)
  • The Ship Avenged
  • Beyond Varallan (Stardoc, #2)
  • Change of Command (The Serrano Legacy, #6)
  • The Gathering Flame
  • Anne McCaffrey's Dragonflight #3
Anne McCaffrey was born on April 1st, 1926, in Cambridge, Massachusetts, at 1:30 p.m., in the hour of the Sheep, year of the Fire Tiger, sun sign Aries with Taurus rising and Leo mid-heaven (which seems to suggest an early interest in the stars).

Her parents were George Herbert McCaffrey, BA, MA PhD (Harvard), Colonel USA Army (retired), and Anne Dorothy McElroy McCaffrey, estate agent. She had two...more
More about Anne McCaffrey...
Dragonflight (Pern, #1) Dragonsong (Harper Hall, #1) The White Dragon (Pern, #3) Dragonsinger (Harper Hall, #2) Dragonquest (Pern, #2)