Start by marking “Acorna's Quest (Acorna #2)” as Want to Read:
Acorna's Quest (Acorna #2)

Acorna's Quest (Acorna #2)

3.64  ·  Rating Details ·  5,300 Ratings  ·  54 Reviews
This follow-up to Anne McCaffrey's bestselling Acorna trails the unicorn girl across the galaxy as she searches for her mysterious home and lost people.
Published December 2001 by HarperCollins (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Acorna's Quest, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Acorna's Quest

Kyla
Aug 29, 2013 Kyla rated it it was amazing
Alysha DeShaé
Dec 31, 2012 Alysha DeShaé rated it really liked it
Last book of 2012 for me... And I finished it right before my midnight kiss, too!

I'm rereading the Acorna series and still loving them, but I'm noticing things that I've not noticed before about the characters - namely that they aren't as well developed as I remember them to be. I guess it's a good thing they're already fleshed out in my mind! :-p The story is still great, though.
Lady♥Belleza★✰
At the end of the last book, the children on the planet Kezdet were being liberated, enrolled in school and are learning actual trades. This next installment involves Acorna wanting to find her own kind, humanoids like her. There are practical as well as sentimental reasons for this. Her “Uncle” Calum believes he knows the general area of space where they will find her home planet. The two of them set off to find it, rather impulsively since it appears everyone else doesn’t want them to go and e ...more
Gerold Whittaker
Dec 01, 2011 Gerold Whittaker rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, fantasy
Book 2 of the Acorna series. In this book, Acorna is now all grown up and itching to find out where she came from. The mission to find the land of her birth is delayed -- purposely? -- so she and Calum take matters into their own hands and sneak off -- with the partially prepared ship -- to complete the quest. No sooner are they gone -- encountering problems of their own due to the partially prepared ship -- when the Linyaari -- her people -- arrive looking for her. Hot on the heels of the Linya ...more
Joann Buchanan
Feb 11, 2011 Joann Buchanan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The whole time I wanted to know more about the little unicorn girl and where she came from. Was she the last of her Kind. None of those questions were answered. Still, the novel was fast paced and full of inrigue. The characters were developed well and she painted a godd picture. I do see why she left it open and didn't answer all the questions. So I'll go find the next one in the series...lol..

I would say yes if I was asked whether or not to purchase it.

Hope this helps.
Jerry
Jul 22, 2011 Jerry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An impressive follow-up to the first Acorna novel.
Michael Nalbone
Mar 12, 2017 Michael Nalbone rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
Intense, better than Acorna #1
Carina
I know I read an Acorna book when I was in school - judging from the cover it may have been this one. But in the... 15 odd years since if it was this one I recalled none of the plot points. Which... good re-read value I guess?

I last read the first book in this series in February last year, and although it does have a relatively open ending it is self-enclosed enough that it was on a whim I borrowed this from a friend, as opposed to a need to find out what happens next to Acorna and her adopted f
Bellezza
At the end of the last book, the children on the planet Kezdet were being liberated, enrolled in school and are learning actual trades. This next installment involves Acorna wanting to find her own kind, humanoids like her. There are practical as well as sentimental reasons for this. Her 1CUncle 1D Calum believes he knows the general area of space where they will find her home planet. The two of them set off to find it, rather impulsively since it appears everyone else doesn 19t want them to go ...more
Claire
May 19, 2014 Claire rated it liked it
Kalli M.G.
I'm still indecisive on how to express my feelings on this book. Like, I like how most of this book was written, but there were many passages where I felt like I was reading a Physics/ some sort of complicated science college book.

I love Acorna. I love how she grew up and how you can tell there's this sort of attitude you can expect from a pre-teen. Although it feels like she was quick to shy away from that attitude. I don't know if it's because how people like her grow up quicker than humans? B
Adrian Rose
Sep 22, 2016 Adrian Rose rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-fiction
Acorna, the unicorn girl, is now a fully mature young woman who is highly frustrated. Her guardians, under the guise of protecting her, have taken to screening her email and limiting her personal interactions to their own small circle. In desperation, and with the help of Calum Baird, one of her original discoverers, she sneaks off in a ship to look for her people. On the way, she and Calum come across a planet that is being held captive by a group of space pirates. Calum and Acorna join the fig ...more
Kay Iscah
Jan 15, 2014 Kay Iscah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of those rare sequels that's better than the original. Things still come a little too easily for Acorna, and some of the secondary characters still read like cardboard cut outs. But there was improvement, better pacing, Acorna gains some dimension, and Markel was great. There are some bits that drive me nuts about this series. Travel times seem more than a little inconsistent, and supposedly intelligent, adult characters occasionally start to giggle like teenagers at odd moments.

Over
Suzanne
May 22, 2014 Suzanne rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Once again, our magical orphan protagonist wins through all situations with her charm and superpowers and very little fuss. I kept hoping that she'd have to work for something for once, but sadly, not in this story. And as in the first book of the series, she is surrounded by a weirdly condescending and petty cast of characters, who are forever posturing and swaggering and overprotecting her. There are glimpses of depth—Acorna gets some good complex moments as she faces the possibility of meetin ...more
Charles Harrison
Jan 10, 2017 Charles Harrison rated it it was ok
I picked up the Acorna books thinking they were a nice trilogy it was only when I came onto goodreads that I realised there were 10 of them! This one does not bode well for keeping going. In theory it had all the positives as the last one; great baddies which make the pious protagonists look all the better. Even Acorna became more interesting with some wonderful teenage tantrums and rash decisions. Yet it just didn't hold together, perhaps there was too much going on or the 'Haven' story line en ...more
Charmaine
Dec 27, 2016 Charmaine rated it it was ok
While I enjoyed learning about the Linyaari, I still think that similar to the first book in the Acorna series, this novel needed more editing. There were so many long drawn-out conversations between characters that had no relevance to the the main plot points. I figure that these minor characters become relevant in future books, but still, their conversations just weren’t as interesting as the main character’s. I wish there had been more information and interactions with the main characters we’ ...more
Tatiana
An easy reading with sufficient entertaining features to ensure one's time has not been wasted.

Acorna follows a logical next step of learning more about her race and her quest becomes sidetracked by... big surprise... people in need of her skills and everything manages to fall into place while all lose ends are tied into a strong knot befitting a soap opera's final episode.

It was an enjoyable, if not a bit predictable book, that leaves one with the odd satisfaction of fairytales set in space whe
Philena Garey
Jun 27, 2015 Philena Garey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Acorns is a brave and resourceful person. Despite being one-of-a-kind she bonds with her human "family".

I like Acorna's personality. She is so giving of herself and her abilities that she wears herself out. Her friends and family guard her from herself. When she finally meets her own people, who have risked their lives and finances to warn her adopted world of invasion and annihilation, Acorna is happy to meet them, but remains devoted to her human family.
C.
Nov 15, 2009 C. rated it did not like it
Shelves: fantasy
The plot was so full of unbelievable coincidental timing and "comic" misunderstanding that I felt like I was reading the script to a bad sitcom. When Acorna has an episode where she diverges from her character so severely that it was like she'd been possessed by the spirit of an angsty teen (perhaps Bella from the Twilight series) I nearly quit reading this novel.

It's a shame, because I liked the first one quite a bit; I hope the others in the series are better.
Deb Wilson
while I really enjoyed the story of the first book in this series, ij just didn't pull me in in the same way. We see Acorna go further than before, meeting her own people, fighting a hostile alien race and in the background see her previous cause of helping the children is still in effect. It's not a bad novel and I did enjoy it, it's just not as good as the first.
*Redacted*
Nov 27, 2011 *Redacted* rated it it was ok
I just found out that McCaffrey passed away last week. I loved the Pern books as a child so I thought I'd do some reminiscent reading. Suspending disbelief was hard at times, but the plot moves fast enough that it makes a pleasant read most of the time. Just don't think you're going to learn anything with this series.
Rosu Aquabutts
"I liked it."

Not very GOOD but compulsively readable, just like I remembered. This audiobook reader is FANTASTIC, also. This cast of thousands all have a slightly different voice. It's astounding. I really like the voices she gives the Linyaari characters, giving them their own dialect and accent. Really amazing.

Okay book, amazing audiobook. Three stars.
Karrine Elizabeth
Nov 10, 2010 Karrine Elizabeth rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
I enjoyed the first book more. Although the story came together towards the end there were a few points where I wasn't engaged and was tempted to jump ahead. But I look forward to getting through the rest of series.
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
Now we know why Acorna was separated from her parents. Khlevii is the race trying wipe everyone out. These insects remind me of the same ones attacking the ones from the Rowan series. I liked this story. I still have many questions and I want to meet Acorna's people.
Mollie *scoutrmom*
May 07, 2010 Mollie *scoutrmom* rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of sci-fi/fantasy
Shelves: read-in-2010, fantasy
A great continuation of Acorna, I see that these must be read in order. It appears that a larger work has been broken into smaller novels. I love Anne McCaffrey's people, this book centered on political maneuverings and how the innocent are affected.
Jackie Krasuski
Jul 24, 2011 Jackie Krasuski rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The heroic story of Acorna touched my heart. Her saga is a fantastic sci-fi journey in another galaxy, but the writing of the places and times makes them seem so real and even comfortable. Fantastic read for any sci-fi fan.
Elizabeth
Aug 22, 2012 Elizabeth rated it liked it
I love her writing, and all of books, but this group, not so much
Amy
Jul 31, 2011 Amy rated it it was ok
This book was alright. It had a lot of boring technical bits that I could've done without.
Tristan
Read prior to 2010
Goodreads Librari...: Add cover please 1 19 Oct 14, 2015 03:13PM
  • The Ship Avenged
  • The Ship Errant (Brainship, #6)
  • Anne McCaffrey's Unicorn Girl: The Illustrated Adventures
  • The House of the Kzinti (Man-Kzin Wars)
  • Lord Of Thunder (Beast Master / Hosteen Storm, #2)
  • Cross The Stars
  • Dragonholder: The Life and Dreams (So Far) of Anne McCaffrey
  • The People of Pern
  • Chaos Mode (Mode, #3)
  • Blade Dancer
  • Command Performance
  • The Robin & The Kestrel (Bardic Voices, #2)
  • The Ring of Charon (The Hunted Earth, #1)
  • Zandru's Forge (Darkover, #4; Clingfire, #2)
  • Empress of Earth (Roads of Heaven, #3)
  • Beginning Operations: A Sector General Omnibus (Sector General, #1-3)
Anne McCaffrey was born on April 1st, 1926, in Cambridge, Massachusetts.

Anne was educated at Stuart Hall in Staunton Virginia, Montclair High Scho
More about Anne McCaffrey...

Acorna (10 books)
  • Acorna: The Unicorn Girl (Acorna #1)
  • Acorna's People (Acorna #3)
  • Acorna's World (Acorna #4)
  • Acorna's Search (Acorna #5)
  • Acorna's Rebels (Acorna #6)
  • Acorna's Triumph (Acorna #7)
  • First Warning: Acorna's Children (Acorna, #8)
  • Second Wave: Acorna's Children (Acorna, #9)
  • Third Watch: Acorna's Children (Acorna, #10)

“He is crooked enough to hide behind a spiral staircase.” 23 likes
“(Meli, are you sure these "humans" are on our side?)

(No ... but at least they are not Khieevi.)

(That is beginning to seem less and less of a recommendation. Like us in form, perhaps, but hardly in ethics.)

(That may not be entirely a bad thing. If they meet their friends with weapons in both hands, what do you suppose they do to their enemies?)”
7 likes