Start by marking “Pegasus in Flight (The Talent, #2)” as Want to Read:
Pegasus in Flight (The Talent, #2)

Pegasus in Flight (The Talent #2)

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  5,382 ratings  ·  67 reviews
As director of the Jerhattan Parapsychic Center, telepath Rhyssa Owen coordinated the job assignments for psychically gifted Talents. And though she had her hands full dealing with the unreasonable demand for kinetics to work on the space platform that would be humankind's stepping-stone to the stars, she was always ready to welcome new Talents to the Center.

Feisty and Str
Mass Market Paperback, 415 pages
Published April 1st 2000 by Ballantine Publishing Group (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Pegasus in Flight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pegasus in Flight

The Demolished Man by Alfred BesterThe Rowan by Anne McCaffreyDragonflight by Anne McCaffreyThe Stars My Destination by Alfred BesterEnchantress from the Stars by Sylvia Engdahl
Best Novels About Telepaths
7th out of 186 books — 99 voters
The Ship Who Sang by Anne McCaffreyPegasus in Flight by Anne McCaffreyFalling Free by Lois McMaster BujoldThe Children Of Men by P.D. JamesThe Warrior's Apprentice by Lois McMaster Bujold
Disability In Science Fiction
2nd out of 54 books — 19 voters

More lists with this book...

N.
I loved this book when I was young and read it at least a dozen times. But when I picked it up this time (years after I last read it), I was unpleasantly jolted by the unexamined assumptions McCaffrey makes about poverty and non-Western cultures throughout the book: these show up in her minor characters, her major characters, and her own writing. I have the impression now that the book was written in a rush, and certainly not to its credit.
Yune
Early McCaffrey counts as comfort reading. This one's amusing, but sadly losing the spark it held for me in my childhood. In too many ways she only scratches the surface: of the underlying social issues, of the characters' pysches, and even of one of the major romances.
Adobe
When I read To Ride Pegasus last year, I was distressed by its sexism and racism. Thus, I approached sequel Pegasus in Flight -- a cherished childhood favorite -- with trepidation. Would it live up to my rose-colored recollection?

Well. Yes and no. It's incredibly creepy to see the novel treating its dystopia as a utopia. For example, the government enforces mandatory sterilization for all the poor slum-dwellers, and all the heroic characters denigrate those poor breeders who keep selling their i
Sayra
With a plot all about young Talents stopping a child trafficking scheme, the book gets creepy when an older "good" man basically imprints on a 12yo. That he will wait for her to be older doesn't really change the fact that he's perving on a child. This is too disturbing to make this a good read, which is a shame since I ordinarily like McCaffrey's.
A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol)
Taking place about 80 yrs after To Ride Pegasus Rhyssa Owen, granddaughter of Daffyd op Owen, is now the Director of the Center for Parapsychic Talents on the North American East Coast. Along with many descendants of the original members, Rhyssa is under extreme pressure to provide kinetics to complete the Padrugoi Space Platform. Without the kinetics the space platform construction is falling behind schedule. With Earth’s population already straining its resources to the limit the space platfor ...more
Ward Bond

Feisty and streetwise, twelve-year-old Tirla used her extraordinary knack for languages to eke out a living in the Linear developments, w

Carolyn J. Allen
Another Masterpiece by the Queen of Science Fiction!!

As the second book in an absolutely fabulous series, "Pegasus in Flight" continues the story of 'Talent', moving into the future in such a way as to be absolutely believable. Imminent exploration of space, and discovery of new forms of psychic powers combine to put the reader on notice that there is more to come in the rest of the series.
Dan
I read this a couple of times as a teenager, and it was reliable enough for those times when I just needed a fun, easy book to get through that I still had a copy on my shelf. It's been a while, though, and reading it as an adult was a jarring experience.

Just to start with: the book expresses some truly nasty assumptions about people from south and west Asia -- "Neesters," in the slang of the book -- up to and including characters blessing a much older man essentially claiming a 12-year-old girl
Beth
I read this hoping for a good story about the characters/world developed in the first book.

We jump forward a few generations and there is a loose plot line but mostly again we are finding/protecting/using the psy talents that are showing up.

Interesting in its own way but not really a story.
Faith
I'm hovering between a three and a four. Interesting set up, engaging characters.

I had some issues with pacing (specifically, sometimes I felt McCaffrey went too long without changing to the other storyline).

Overall, pretty good, though I probably won't seek out the rest of the series.
Rena Sherwood
Highly disappointing effort from a usually good writer. Who cares about these people? I sure didn't. I made the mistake of reading this book without reading the first, but I am not interested enough in these mutant characters and their ugly world to read any more of the series.
Amy VanGundy
I've read this book many times in my life-in-progress. What continues to capture me is the characters, the dialogue, and the big ideas of telepathic gifts and how that would work in a not-so-distant future. Anyone else wish Johnny Greene was available? Just me?
Al
Apr 01, 2015 Al rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: McCaffrey fans and lovers of paranormal talent stories
Anne McCaffrey at her usual form. If you like McCaffrey’s writing in general, you’ll like this book as well. She doesn’t disappoint.

Two young talents have been discovered and this is the story of the Jerhattan Parapsychic Center’s fight to find them, bring them in, and train them. Of course, nothing ever goes easily when dealing with talents, especially when trying to find and protect Tirla, an illegal child (born without government permission) living in a “Linear” (a sort of ghetto for the poor
Sarah Mckenna
A definite improvement over book 1. The characters are more involved and it feels less like a worldbuilding exercise and more like a story. A good young adult novel about overcoming adversity.
Colleen
Delightfully shallow reading, without being fluffy -- that's Anne McCaffrey's specialty. There are a slew of villains, every character has some goal or quest, there is plenty to root for... eminently enjoyable. If you want a world of psychic powers realistic enough and fleshed out enough... but not so much that it's not located on a 'recognizable a century from now Earth', and not so much that the action's dragged down by too much world-building or philosophical pondering (which in another book ...more
Victoria
Apparently a second of a series. Despite her idiosyncracies as a writer, her work remains engaging. This series investigates Talent, or paranormal abilities, which have been normalized and actually valued in its service to human endeavor. Rare, Talent is actively searched and highly sought, and two youngsters are found who have indeed rare abilities. Peter, a quadriplegic, gestalts with outside power sources to OOB travel and develops unique kinetics which work on both his own body and on vast m ...more
Anna
I remember this one better than the first, and with it being set several generations in the future, the tech is less distracting.
Melanie McNicoll
I enjoyed rereading this trilogy that starts the talent series off. Definitely worth reading.
Trisha
2014-07-10. Still my favorite of the three early Talent books. Tirla's escapades are great. I love her character. Peter, of course, is great too but not quit as fun as Tirla due to his being more reserved. The twins talking thru each other is neat. It is also great to see Dorotea now as an older person since she had a prominent place in the first book. So cool to see that she really living up to her potential. Love this!

2013-07-26. Probably my favorite of the three early Talent books. I love the
Xandromas
I really enjoyed this book and the other two in the Talents saga
Jodie
Probably one of my favourites in the talent series!
Jacob
This was a pretty good story and an interesting world, with psychic powers and all. However, the conflicts were kind of soft-pedaled and the resolutions a little too neatly wrapped up for me to suspend my disbelief. I was wondering if that was more a result of when the author wrote it than the author's personal style, but then I discovered it was published in 1990 instead of 1950, so I'm pretty sure it's a style choice I happen to disagree with. It was still quite readable and had some neat idea ...more
Barry
Oct 05, 2007 Barry rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Probably not
At the time I read this book, I couldn't get enough Anne McCaffrey. Times change and the concept of paranormal abilities of the scope in this book belong in the seventies. It is nice to follow stories as they evolve in the next book, but books about "talents" have just gotten out of hand with their powers. At least at this point in the series, they haven't really gotten too much larger than life. Overall, the story was good because of McCaffrey's outstanding character development and story telli ...more
Kelley Ross
Pegasus in Flight is a classic sci-fi novel dealing with people who possess certain types of mental talents. Some can "find" things, some can predict future events, and some can move things around. I thought this book set up the world of the "Talented" very well and am eager to finish the series.

I would recommend these to anyone who enjoys reading science fiction, but especially to people who enjoy Anne McCaffrey's writing style. I for one think her style is unmatchable.
Jim
Well to be honest, this is the sixth time I have read this book over the last 12-15 years. This is book two of three. Yes, I like this book and series.

About this title: Director of the Jerhattan Parapsychic Center, telepath Rhyssa Owen coordinates the job assignments for psychically gifted Talents. She thought she knew everything about her people until two Talented children were discovered to have some very unusual--and unexpected--abilities.
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
Tirla and Peter are back again! This time they are on the space station. I enjoyed this story greatly. Ms. McCaffrey creates worlds that take me away and make me yearn to live there. Her writing is so concise. She is truly a masterful writer. I enjoyed this book and I wish I was talented like the FT&T. It would have been fun. Yes, there is danger to be different, but the amazing abilities are so cool. I still think this should be a YA book.
Kathleen Dixon
A nice follow-on to To Ride Pegasus. It's a couple of generations on from that one, and so the Centre is well-established. That doesn't mean, of course, that humanity has lost its prejudices ...

This book has two fun characters, both youngsters, and some nice little side-stories with descendants of the original "cast."
Susan
Second in the series and I enjoyed it even a little more. Three plus! Two special Talented children are introduced in this book. Peter Redinger is paralyzed when a wall falls on him and discovers he can move by kenesis. Tirla, and orphan in the Linears (ghetto) can speak any language. With the Center's help they develop and use their talents. I can't do it justice - read it.
Rachel
I have always found the way this book attempts to be all 'dystopian-future/relevant/hardboiled' rather hilarious. It's like it would have loved to be Neuromancer or Snow Crash, but completely fails to pull it off. Some of the words she tries to coin just sound too jarring, and the vision of the future is too simplistic and characters too sweet. But hey, I like it for trying!
David Fournier
Once again Anne McCaffrey has proven why she is among the premier author is the Sci-Fi genre. She keeps you moving quickly through the book, builting to an exciting ending. She has a knack to combine into her character building, great situational humor while dealing with serious subject.

This is a great read for any who even mildly likes Sci-Fi.
  • The Ship Errant (Brainship, #6)
  • The People of Pern
  • The Ship Avenged
  • Dragonsblood (Pern, #18)
  • Winning Colors (The Serrano Legacy, #3)
  • Take a Thief (Valdemar)
  • Orphan Star (Pip & Flinx #3)
  • Beyond Varallan (Stardoc, #2)
  • The Warlock Wandering (Warlock, #5)
  • The Atlas of Pern
  • The Shadow Matrix (Darkover, #25)
  • Diamond Mask (Galactic Milieu Trilogy, #2)
  • The Price of the Stars (Mageworlds, #1)
Anne McCaffrey was born on April 1st, 1926, in Cambridge, Massachusetts, at 1:30 p.m., in the hour of the Sheep, year of the Fire Tiger, sun sign Aries with Taurus rising and Leo mid-heaven (which seems to suggest an early interest in the stars).

Her parents were George Herbert McCaffrey, BA, MA PhD (Harvard), Colonel USA Army (retired), and Anne Dorothy McElroy McCaffrey, estate agent. She had two
More about Anne McCaffrey...

The Talent (3 books)
  • To Ride Pegasus (The Talent, #1)
  • Pegasus in Space (The Talent, #3)
Dragonflight (Pern, #1) Dragonsong (Harper Hall, #1) The White Dragon (Pern, #3) Dragonsinger (Harper Hall, #2) Dragonquest (Pern, #2)