Start by marking “Pegasus in Flight (The Talent, #2)” as Want to Read:
Pegasus in Flight (The Talent, #2)

Pegasus in Flight (The Talent #2)

4.1  ·  Rating Details ·  6,248 Ratings  ·  90 Reviews
As director of the Jerhattan Parapsychic Center, telepath Rhyssa Owen coordinated the job assignments for psychically gifted Talents. And though she had her hands full dealing with the unreasonable demand for kinetics to work on the space platform that would be humankind's stepping-stone to the stars, she was always ready to welcome new Talents to the Center.

Feisty and Str
Published April 1st 2000 by Ballantine Publishing Group (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Pegasus in Flight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pegasus in Flight

Oct 05, 2007 Barry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Probably not
At the time I read this book, I couldn't get enough Anne McCaffrey. Times change and the concept of paranormal abilities of the scope in this book belong in the seventies. It is nice to follow stories as they evolve in the next book, but books about "talents" have just gotten out of hand with their powers. At least at this point in the series, they haven't really gotten too much larger than life. Overall, the story was good because of McCaffrey's outstanding character development and story telli ...more
Mar 15, 2008 Jim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Well to be honest, this is the sixth time I have read this book over the last 12-15 years. This is book two of three. Yes, I like this book and series.

About this title: Director of the Jerhattan Parapsychic Center, telepath Rhyssa Owen coordinates the job assignments for psychically gifted Talents. She thought she knew everything about her people until two Talented children were discovered to have some very unusual--and unexpected--abilities.
Jan 15, 2009 Yune rated it it was ok
Shelves: science-fiction
Early McCaffrey counts as comfort reading. This one's amusing, but sadly losing the spark it held for me in my childhood. In too many ways she only scratches the surface: of the underlying social issues, of the characters' pysches, and even of one of the major romances.
May 26, 2009 N. rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
I loved this book when I was young and read it at least a dozen times. But when I picked it up this time (years after I last read it), I was unpleasantly jolted by the unexamined assumptions McCaffrey makes about poverty and non-Western cultures throughout the book: these show up in her minor characters, her major characters, and her own writing. I have the impression now that the book was written in a rush, and certainly not to its credit.
Kelley Ross
Jun 21, 2010 Kelley Ross rated it it was amazing
Pegasus in Flight is a classic sci-fi novel dealing with people who possess certain types of mental talents. Some can "find" things, some can predict future events, and some can move things around. I thought this book set up the world of the "Talented" very well and am eager to finish the series.

I would recommend these to anyone who enjoys reading science fiction, but especially to people who enjoy Anne McCaffrey's writing style. I for one think her style is unmatchable.
A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol)
Taking place about 80 yrs after To Ride Pegasus Rhyssa Owen, granddaughter of Daffyd op Owen, is now the Director of the Center for Parapsychic Talents on the North American East Coast. Along with many descendants of the original members, Rhyssa is under extreme pressure to provide kinetics to complete the Padrugoi Space Platform. Without the kinetics the space platform construction is falling behind schedule. With Earth’s population already straining its resources to the limit the space platfor ...more
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
Tirla and Peter are back again! This time they are on the space station. I enjoyed this story greatly. Ms. McCaffrey creates worlds that take me away and make me yearn to live there. Her writing is so concise. She is truly a masterful writer. I enjoyed this book and I wish I was talented like the FT&T. It would have been fun. Yes, there is danger to be different, but the amazing abilities are so cool. I still think this should be a YA book.
Jan 05, 2016 Jacob rated it liked it
This was a pretty good story and an interesting world, with psychic powers and all. However, the conflicts were kind of soft-pedaled and the resolutions a little too neatly wrapped up for me to suspend my disbelief. I was wondering if that was more a result of when the author wrote it than the author's personal style, but then I discovered it was published in 1990 instead of 1950, so I'm pretty sure it's a style choice I happen to disagree with. It was still quite readable and had some neat idea ...more
Mar 05, 2011 Colleen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Delightfully shallow reading, without being fluffy -- that's Anne McCaffrey's specialty. There are a slew of villains, every character has some goal or quest, there is plenty to root for... eminently enjoyable. If you want a world of psychic powers realistic enough and fleshed out enough... but not so much that it's not located on a 'recognizable a century from now Earth', and not so much that the action's dragged down by too much world-building or philosophical pondering (which in another book ...more
Kathleen Dixon
Mar 31, 2015 Kathleen Dixon rated it really liked it
A nice follow-on to To Ride Pegasus. It's a couple of generations on from that one, and so the Centre is well-established. That doesn't mean, of course, that humanity has lost its prejudices ...

This book has two fun characters, both youngsters, and some nice little side-stories with descendants of the original "cast."
Mar 07, 2012 Victoria rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, scifi
Apparently a second of a series. Despite her idiosyncracies as a writer, her work remains engaging. This series investigates Talent, or paranormal abilities, which have been normalized and actually valued in its service to human endeavor. Rare, Talent is actively searched and highly sought, and two youngsters are found who have indeed rare abilities. Peter, a quadriplegic, gestalts with outside power sources to OOB travel and develops unique kinetics which work on both his own body and on vast m ...more
Al "Tank"
Apr 01, 2015 Al "Tank" rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: McCaffrey fans and lovers of paranormal talent stories
Anne McCaffrey at her usual form. If you like McCaffrey’s writing in general, you’ll like this book as well. She doesn’t disappoint.

Two young talents have been discovered and this is the story of the Jerhattan Parapsychic Center’s fight to find them, bring them in, and train them. Of course, nothing ever goes easily when dealing with talents, especially when trying to find and protect Tirla, an illegal child (born without government permission) living in a “Linear” (a sort of ghetto for the poor
Ward Bond
Nov 01, 2014 Ward Bond rated it it was amazing

Feisty and streetwise, twelve-year-old Tirla used her extraordinary knack for languages to eke out a living in the Linear developments, w

May 11, 2013 Sayra rated it did not like it
With a plot all about young Talents stopping a child trafficking scheme, the book gets creepy when an older "good" man basically imprints on a 12yo. That he will wait for her to be older doesn't really change the fact that he's perving on a child. This is too disturbing to make this a good read, which is a shame since I ordinarily like McCaffrey's.
Jul 10, 2014 Trisha rated it it was amazing
2014-07-10. Still my favorite of the three early Talent books. Tirla's escapades are great. I love her character. Peter, of course, is great too but not quit as fun as Tirla due to his being more reserved. The twins talking thru each other is neat. It is also great to see Dorotea now as an older person since she had a prominent place in the first book. So cool to see that she really living up to her potential. Love this!

2013-07-26. Probably my favorite of the three early Talent books. I love the
Jul 29, 2014 Dan rated it did not like it
Shelves: reviewed
I read this a couple of times as a teenager, and it was reliable enough for those times when I just needed a fun, easy book to get through that I still had a copy on my shelf. It's been a while, though, and reading it as an adult was a jarring experience.

Just to start with: the book expresses some truly nasty assumptions about people from south and west Asia -- "Neesters," in the slang of the book -- up to and including characters blessing a much older man essentially claiming a 12-year-old girl
Oct 27, 2015 Sophie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult-fiction
Years have gone by since To Ride Pegasus, and Daffyd op Owen’s granddaughter, telepath Rhyssa, is now in charge of The First Center for Parapsychics (“The Center”). This story showcases the current state of affairs in the world, such as the beginning of implementation of a space center, the increasing importance of Talents to society, and the the hidden potential of Talents. The two main characters in this story, twelve-year-old Tirla and fourteen-year-old Peter, have unique talents that are fas ...more
Carolyn J. Allen
Another Masterpiece by the Queen of Science Fiction!!

As the second book in an absolutely fabulous series, "Pegasus in Flight" continues the story of 'Talent', moving into the future in such a way as to be absolutely believable. Imminent exploration of space, and discovery of new forms of psychic powers combine to put the reader on notice that there is more to come in the rest of the series.
Rena Sherwood
Highly disappointing effort from a usually good writer. Who cares about these chracters? I sure didn't. I made the mistake of reading this book without reading the first, but I am not interested enough in these mutant characters and their ugly world to read any more of the series.

The only good bit of writing was when one girl ate a fresh green pepper. If not for that passage, this book would get zero stars.
May 25, 2015 Adobe rated it liked it
When I read To Ride Pegasus last year, I was distressed by its sexism and racism. Thus, I approached sequel Pegasus in Flight -- a cherished childhood favorite -- with trepidation. Would it live up to my rose-colored recollection?

Well. Yes and no. It's incredibly creepy to see the novel treating its dystopia as a utopia. For example, the government enforces mandatory sterilization for all the poor slum-dwellers, and all the heroic characters denigrate those poor breeders who keep selling their i
Nov 21, 2015 Lauren rated it really liked it
The second book of the series dives more into individual characters and their abilities rather than the entire group of talents.

The writer provides a deeper look into the lives of talents, how the general public treats them and the struggles they have to go through to be accepted. The talents are much more established in the workforce and highly coveted at this point. The talent genes have been able to spread enough to begin to bring about new talents that the "experts" do not know how to handle
Dec 31, 2015 Joy rated it really liked it
Enjoyed reading this book over the holidays. Didn't realize it was the 2nd in a series, it stands alone well as its own book. It took a while to get started (too many random people's stories without any relationship at the beginning) but was good when it came together. Enjoyed kids discovering new skills and how to put them to use. Enjoyed the relationships between the kids and adults too. Don't need to rush out and read the next one, but if I came across it at the library, I'd check it out.
Jan 24, 2016 Diana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A gripping story of two young people whose lives connect

This is the next generation twice removed from To Ride Pegasus. The Center for Talents is well established, but still has struggles to contend with in an untalented world. This book introduces two children from different backgrounds who are discovered to be talented. Their lives connect and are interwoven in the lives of the Talented at the Jerhatten Center on the estate inherited from George Jenner in the first book. There are gripping eme
Feb 17, 2016 Janelle rated it liked it
This book was just what the doctor ordered for me since I was looking for something less heavy and fun. Anne McCaffrey did a good job of that. In the future, Earth is overcrowded and trying to colonize space to alleviate the strain. Talents are people born with mental abilities- telepathy, empathy, telekinesis, precognition, and finding. Rhyssa is the director of the Talent training center and happens across Peter, a young boy with powerful abilities but without the use of his legs. She also fin ...more
Apr 09, 2016 Lizzie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A recent sci-fi book put me on a nostalgia kick for all the sci-fi loves of my childhood. This one could not endure the scrutiny. All of McCaffrey's books suffer from her lionization of beautiful, talented people with special destinies who are permitted to save (and sneer at) the common folk. The dragonrider books had this problem. I guess I never noticed, growing up, since I loved her marginal characters- Menoly and Nerilka, Tirla and Peter. However, these characters are socialized by adults wh ...more
Jul 09, 2016 Teresa rated it really liked it
'Pegasus in Flight' is the second in the "Talent" series. This book takes place about sixty years after 'To Ride Pegasus.' Rhyssa Owens is now the director is the Eastern Parapsychic Center. This story is more about two children that come under Rhyssa's tutelage: Tirla and Peter.

Tirla lives in the dens and warrens of the Linears, large 'projects' the blanket the metro center now called Jerhattan (New Jersey and Manhattan have combined to form one massive city.) She makes a living through her un
Miranda L Visser
Sep 14, 2016 Miranda L Visser rated it it was ok
Oct 05, 2016 Mary rated it it was amazing
This is one of my all time favorite books. I go back and reread it every so often. Pegasus in Flight is my favorite of the series.

Reread Sept 2016
Ad Astra
Oct 07, 2016 Ad Astra rated it liked it
Run of the mill sci-fi. I've heard great things about the author. I'll read more of her in the future but this I feel, is a mediocre piece of work. The pacing feels clunky and the stories/character development leave something to be desired. I enjoyed the adult main characters far better than the children.
Oct 17, 2016 Jennine rated it it was ok
Whoooooooo, does this one not hold up well. Antiquated ideas about gender, sex and sexuality, and race are a persistent problem in McCaffrey's back catalog, but if I've read one of her books that's worse on those fronts, I've blocked it out. I instantly loved Tirla, and following her story kept me reading through repeated wincing, but she's not enough to redeem the book.
  • The Ship Errant (Brainship, #6)
  • The People of Pern
  • The Ship Avenged
  • Mid-Flinx (Pip & Flinx, #6)
  • Dragonholder: The Life and Dreams (So Far) of Anne McCaffrey
  • Beyond Varallan (Stardoc, #2)
  • Hunting Party (The Serrano Legacy, #1)
  • Phule's Company (Phule's Company, #1)
  • The Service of the Sword (Worlds of Honor, #4)
  • The Shadow Matrix (Darkover, #25)
  • Werehunter
  • Starpilot's Grave (Mageworlds, #2)
  • Forerunner Foray
  • Uhura's Song
  • Reap the Wild Wind (Stratification, #1)
  • The Warlock Is Missing (Warlock, #6)
Anne McCaffrey was born on April 1st, 1926, in Cambridge, Massachusetts.

Anne was educated at Stuart Hall in Staunton Virginia, Montclair High Scho
More about Anne McCaffrey...

The Talent (3 books)
  • To Ride Pegasus (The Talent, #1)
  • Pegasus in Space (The Talent, #3)