Start by marking “Tom Sawyer Abroad & Tom Sawyer Detective” as Want to Read:
Tom Sawyer Abroad & Tom Sawyer Detective

Tom Sawyer Abroad & Tom Sawyer Detective

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  154 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Following on from The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (1876) and Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (1884-5) Tom Sawyer Abroad (1894) became one of Mark Twain's most popular books. Again we meet his world famous characters: Tom Sawyer, 'Nigger Jim', and Huck Finn - together now on a fantastical balloon journey across the Atlantic to meet lions and Bedouins in the Sahara and retrace s...more
Published July 5th 2009 by Wordsworth Classics (first published February 1st 1965)

To ask other readers questions about Tom Sawyer Abroad & Tom Sawyer Detective, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tom Sawyer Abroad & Tom Sawyer Detective

Cheryl in CC NV
Delightful. I love how these two stories take place after Huck and Tom save Jim, and that the first story includes Jim, and how they're narrated by Huck, and how Tom isn't as annoying in these as he is in the first two, more famous, books. Funny quick reads for all ages. One of the recurring jokes (for example) in the first was how Huck and Jim would not believe Tom when he tried to explain things like Time Zones and Mirages, but were perfectly credulous when Tom pointed out the very hill in the...more
Nuno Vargas
After reading the previous two books and quite enjoying them, I couldn't leave the final adventures of Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn unread. As before, "Tom Sawyer Abroad" picks up where the last book left off. Then the boys are immediately carried away on a balloon voyage across the Ocean and into Africa. Jim (no longer a slave) is also aboard and together they'll go through some wild adventures.
Forme it was strange to see these characters out of their environment and I didn't much appreciate Twain'...more
Charles
"Do you reckon Tom Sawyer was satisfied after all them adventures?"
Huck's famous opening lines to 'Tom Sawyer Abroad' (1894).

...and neither were many millions Tom Sawyer fans worldwide, dear Huck.

I am aware, after reading my version's introduction at least, that many critics were not impressed with these two books. In my opinion though, they missed the point by a wide margin for they focused on all the wrong reasons.

The main critical point (my version is by Stuart Hutchinson) is the character o...more
Rob
May 19, 2007 Rob rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who enjoyed Huckleberry Finn
Shelves: general-fiction, 2007
(The rating is an average: Tom Sawyer Abroad gets 5 stars, and Tom Sawyer, Detective 3.)

Relatively unknown, Tom Sawyer Abroad is an insightful masterpiece of parody, directed mainly at insufferable know-it-alls, but never forgoing a chance to take a poke at religion or contemporary society. Set after Huckleberry Finn, this novella tells the tale of Tom, Huck and the former slave Jim being whisked across the Atlantic on a dirigible balloon. Time after time, Tom tries to show off his superior kno...more
Manu
Damn good hilarious and enjoyable book. Brilliant perspective of Huck Finn for life, especially the part where he gives his insights on The Crusade to Tom. What's not in this book? There is humour, action, bit of detectives, perception of world and philosophical debates in quite ligher tone. Ain't that man Mark Twain was genius in understanding real life. Go hell with all philosophies and theories and live life and let live BECAUSE THERE AIN'T MUCH USE OF AND/OR/IF, WHAT IS SIMPLY WHAT IS.
Kimberlyluisi
There are more Tom Sawyer stories, who knew? I definitely would not recommend these, as they fall pretty heavily into uninspired sequel territory, however, there are still moments of satirical brilliance which make them worthwhile.
Steven
Kind of strange, it's like the recent trend of taking classic literary characters, and updating them or combining them with something weird, but in this case it was done by the original author. It's not terrible, it clearly didn't mean as much to Twain as the earlier books, but there's some real creativity at play in these stories.
Barb G
We love the characters, but these stories just aren't for us right now. Too many other good books to read. We may come back to it at some point, but for now, it's going back to the library.
Greg
Abroad - not genius as a whole, but still Twain and so worthwhile. Huck's voice is intact, even if he doesn't have much to hang it on (who knew Tom was the potentially annoying straight man?)
Steven
Contains two of my favorite characters, Tom and Huck. Not quite up to the gold standard of the first three books but good fun anyway.
Brittany
Tom sawyer abroad was ok, but Tom Sawyer Detective was great. It was short, but well thought out.
a fun, funny, sweet, short little book -- sadly unfamiliar to most readers these days
Michelle
good-well written-excellent dialect-marvelous-real characters
Corey Houlden
Corey Houlden marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2014
Davin
Davin marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2014
Geoffrey Greeley
Geoffrey Greeley is currently reading it
Sep 28, 2014
Rick
Rick marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2014
Matt
Matt marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2014
Bianca
Bianca added it
Sep 02, 2014
published 1337? 1 1 Jan 10, 2012 06:45AM
Samuel Langhorne Clemens, better known by his pen name Mark Twain, was an American author and humorist. He is noted for his novels Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (1885), called "the Great American Novel", and The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (1876).

Twain grew up in Hannibal, Missouri, which would later provide the setting for Huckleberry Finn and Tom Sawyer. He apprenticed with a printer. He also work...more
More about Mark Twain...
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn The Adventures of Tom Sawyer The Prince and the Pauper A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court The Adventures of Tom Sawyer & Adventures of Huckleberry Finn