Start by marking “The Miracle Of Grace” as Want to Read:
The Miracle Of Grace

The Miracle Of Grace

Grace's mother Eileen is a great list maker, so when Grace walks into Eileen's kitchen to drop off a postal package and sees her garish 'To Do' pad on the counter, she thinks nothing of it, until she sneaks a look. There, at No 8, ranked in importance well below bread, telephone bill and bins is 'Tell G I have ovarian cancer, probably terminal'. Grace goes into shock, ...more
Published by Pan Publishing (first published April 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Miracle Of Grace, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Miracle Of Grace

Machel
Oct 17, 2010 Machel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is in the mail! Can't wait to get my hands on another one of Kate Kerrigan/Morag Prunty novels. Her original books published by Pan in London have been some of my favorite books thus far~mMiracle of Grace, The
Just finished "Miracle of Grace." I have recently become a new fan of Morag Prunty/Kate Kerrigan. I have read "Recipes for a Perfect Marriage," "Dancing with Mules," "Poison Arrows," Superstar Lovers," and now "Miracle of Grace." Told in first person narrative, this is a daughter/
Nurasia
Dec 28, 2014 Nurasia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Buku ini sebenarnya telah beberapa minggu saya beli tapi baru sempat untuk membacanya, saking penasarannya saya mencuri-curi waktu. Pertama kali jatuh cinta pada karya Kate Karrigan saat membaca Recipe of A Perfect Marriage. Sejak itu saya terus mencari-cari dan menunggu karyanya diterbitkan dalam bahasa Indonesia. Tapi, baru tahun ini hal itu terwujud setelah penantian yang panjang.

Seperti sampul buku pertama Kate yang saya baca, sampul buku ini pun menarik. Terasa hangat dan membuat ingin pula
Becky
Nov 10, 2015 Becky rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When Grace learns that her mother has stage IV ovarian cancer and that it's likely terminal, she's shocked. Frankly, though, it's not so much the cancer that sets her reeling as the way she finds out about it - an innocuous notation, number eight in fact, on one of her mother's to do lists:

8. Tell G have ov cancer. Prob term.

Eileen's cancer should bring the two together, unite them against a fate that is almost inevitable. Instead the note, the illness, the whole situation stresses the relatio
Rina Suryakusuma
Buku ini menceritakan hubungan ibu dan anak perempuannya, setelah tanpa sengaja, Grace menemukan bahwa Eileen, sang ibu, sakit

Ada beberapa bagian yang mencuil emosi saya
Dan beberapa bagian lain, datar

Di sini diceritakan juga kisah Eileen semasa gadis
Masa kelamnya dengan suami yg suk memukulnya, lalu hubungan gelapnya denan pria lain
Dan mungkin memang ada korelasi antara masa lalu itu dengan pola hubungan dengan Grace di masa kini, tapi saya nggak terlalu merasakan ikatannya

Untuk saya, bukunya ag
Rebekka Steg
May 03, 2012 Rebekka Steg rated it it was amazing
This is a beautiful novel, very different to Kerrigan's debut Recipes for a Perfect Marriage, but at the same time very much the same. She masterfully deals with the difficult theme of losing a parent. I think anyone who's been in a situation where they've had to say goodbye to a close relative will be able to relate to this book.
Haythem Bastawy
Oct 07, 2012 Haythem Bastawy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book two years ago in a very short time, one of the books my hands got hold of by chance. I enjoyed it a lot exploring a distant relationship between a woman and her mother and what that brings of stories from the past.
atwiglikeme
Jul 29, 2016 atwiglikeme rated it really liked it
I was not expecting much - but this book surprised me. At the first glance I thought that this would only be yet another book about mother-daughter bonding, but there were some dark twists hidden - just my kind of chick -lit :)
an
Mar 20, 2016 an rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novel, punya
aku berpikir bahwa kasih sayang keluarga mungkin saja tidak lebih baik, tapi bersifat lebih pasti

saat membuka pintu depan rumahku, aku merasa satu-satunya penghiburan yang aku dambakan adalah ibuku. aku telah lupa bahwa saat hidup ini mengecewakan, dialah satu-satunya orang tempat aku bisa berpaling

ibu, bahasa yang paling dekat dengan kita. ibu, atau kata penggantinya mungkin adalah kata pertama yang bisa kita ucapkan. tapi apakah maknanya juga demikian, menjadikannya menjadi orang utama dalam h
Yuyin
Jul 29, 2009 Yuyin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
mummy borrowed this for me :) i don't have a lasting impression of this even though i read it barely four months ago. but i do remember sitting on the upper deck of a night bus with carmen, trying to finish the last bit of the book as the bus dipped and hobbled along the bumpy road. it was hard. my eyes were scrambling to pick up words sliding off the page, catching falling lines and entire paragraphs. blinking back tears (well, well, what do we have here! a touching story!) and this made my ...more
Rachael
Nov 06, 2015 Rachael rated it it was amazing
*I received a copy of this title in exchange for an honest review.*

The Miracle of Grace is unlike most books on the market now days. It doesn't feel like a story, in that this "story" feels very true to life. It is a story of something that happens everyday and how people in everyday situations cope with loss and the potential of loss, as well as how they grow as a person during such times.

This story follows Grace and her journey after she reads her mothers "To Do" list that includes a very shoc
Kate
Jan 01, 2016 Kate rated it really liked it
What a lovely surprise this wee gem was!

Grace is Eileen's only daughter, Eileen has been diagnosed with terminal cancer. Eileen is fiecly independent, Grace is needy and mildly irritating. What ensues is a poignant and touching story of how we can not know what it is another is experiencing, no matter how much we think we can. It also touches on the notion that another person family or friend can not solve our problems for us.

Over recent weeks I have been toying with the idea that it is our imp
Amanda Patterson
Aug 16, 2011 Amanda Patterson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kerrigan follows up her eloquent, stylish debut novel, Recipes for a Perfect Marriage, with this gem. The best authors are those you hardly notice. Kerrigan is one of them. She deals with tragic issues in a deft, no nonsense manner.
Or so you think. Until you realise that you are still thinking about the book weeks later. Eileen and Grace alternate from chapter to chapter, each telling their stories in first person.
Kerrigan has created two distinct voices. This is not an easy thing to do. There
Marina Zala
** Books 141 - 2015 **

Buku ini untuk memenuhi New Author Reading Challenge 2015

2,7 dari 5 bintang!

1. Alur yang flashback dari segi perspektif Eileen dan Grace silih berganti
2. Plot twist yang cenderung datar
3. Nuansa buku yang sangat agamis (Istilah-istilah katolik dan pastor banyak diceritakan dibuku ini)
4. Alurnya juga termasuk lambat dan membosankan.

Padahal blurbnya keliatannya menarik ternyata tidak sebagus sama covernya. saya kurang bisa menikmati ceritanya >__<
Nancy
Nov 07, 2013 Nancy rated it really liked it
I received this book through Goodreads firstreads giveaway.

This is story of a mother-daughter relationship...the baggage they carry as they experience life, learning life's lessons, growing as a person, making mistakes, accepting family as they are and not the way the other wants them to be, and understanding other person's thoughts, emotions, and their reasons for their behavior and actions.

I would recommend this book to others!
Kay
Apr 24, 2014 Kay rated it really liked it
Grace finds a list that her mother has written, number 8 is to tell Grace that she has cancer which is probably terminal. The book tells the story of how they both deal with this, intertwined with their life histories. It was understandably very emotional towards the end but still managed to end positively. We learn not to judge the characters because we only ever know a part of the story while learning more as time goes on. Well written and thought provoking.
Ken
Konflik ibu dan anak perempuan. Bukan tema yg baru. Namun pengarang berhasil merangkainya dengan apik. Plotnya tidak istimewa-istimewa amat sih. Gejolak emosi juga tak saya rasakan betul. Tapi okelah, cukup layak baca. Endingnya manis.
Frieda
Jan 02, 2016 Frieda rated it liked it
A slow start to a book that I did not think I would like. Yet, when I got into the dialog alternating between a mother and daughter's lives I was hooked. There are some wisdoms contained in this book which are really powerful.
Kim
Feb 14, 2015 Kim rated it really liked it
a very moving, thought-provoking novel. It illustrates how little we really do know about the people supposedly close to us.
Karen
Sep 18, 2010 Karen rated it it was amazing
I loved this book, for me it was poignant and very well written. I shed some tears at the end because it bought back sad memories but I would certainly recommend it.
Doreen Jones
Doreen Jones rated it liked it
Nov 11, 2011
Anne
Anne rated it really liked it
Aug 05, 2008
Oriares
Oriares rated it liked it
Feb 05, 2013
Aabir
Aabir rated it really liked it
Jul 24, 2012
Anthea
Anthea rated it really liked it
May 16, 2015
Patricia Bianchi
Patricia Bianchi rated it it was amazing
Aug 29, 2016
Shelley
Shelley rated it it was ok
Aug 23, 2014
Ciara K
Ciara K rated it really liked it
Dec 18, 2015
Martin Oros
Martin Oros rated it really liked it
Sep 19, 2013
Kathy Pereira
Kathy Pereira rated it really liked it
Jun 21, 2016
  • All Most
  • Sweet Misfortune
  • Just Like Other Daughters
  • Theory of Remainders
  • The Vicar's Wife (Tales from Goswell #1)
  • West of the Wall
  • Dear Me: A Letter To My Sixteen Year Old Self

Kate Kerrigan is an author living and working in Ireland. Her novels are Recipes for a Perfect Marriage, The Miracle of Grace, Ellis Island, City of Hope, Land of Dreams and The Lost Garden.

Kate began her career as an editor and journalist, editing many of Britain’s most successful young women’s magazines before returning to her native Ireland in the 1990’s to edit Irish Tatler. She writes a weekl
More about Kate Kerrigan...

“We both grew so used to each other, so comfortable with the naturalness and ease of our friendship, that we became sloppy about keeping our relationship a secret. It was not that we were physically demonstrative or obviously in love, more that it had become impossible for us to hide our close involvement. We had gradually acquired the unmistakable air of old-love: finishing each other's sentences and speaking to each other with an offhand, presuming intimacy that was eventually noticed.” 116 likes
“It is easy to make friends, but not so easy to keep them in the long term. You cancel a couple of arrangements because you are tired, or it seems too far to travel in traffic, and then next thing you know you have not seen somebody you considered a close friend in over a year. In the small town where I grew up, you saw the same people day in and day out for years. My mother was friends with the girls she went to school with until the day she died. I enjoyed the anonymous freedoms of the city, but now I wondered if I had enjoyed them enough to justify being lonely in my latter years. I missed seeing people every day, meeting old friends and making new ones.” 2 likes