Start by marking “Homeless (Vet Volunteers, #2)” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Homeless

Laurie Halse Anderson

Homeless (Vet Volunteers #2)

4.07  ·  Rating Details  ·  499 Ratings  ·  42 Reviews
Sunita has always wanted a cat, but her parents are dead set against it. Then she finds a group of strays living in the wild, and knows she can domesticate them--even though she's been told that these are feral cats, who see humans as their enemies. First, she convinces Dr. Mac to examine the cats, fix them, and give them shots. Then she wants to re-release the cats, now h ...more
Published (first published January 2000)

Viviennegloria
Feb 21, 2010 Viviennegloria rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
10-11 kacie
Oct 18, 2010 10-11 kacie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
sunita is a very cat loveing person. so whent out to the rescue clinct and got a voeering teerie job to help dr.mac. she became very close to socrates the clinic's pet animal. she took him home one day and there was another cat at the house and socrates became violent and starting attcting the other cat. after the fight they both ran away and sunita became very worriod that something had happened to him and the other cat (she was pregant) so they were even more worried. when they were looking fo ...more
Beverly
Jun 16, 2015 Beverly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cats

It is always important to educate yourself on the species or pet you are planning to add to your home and family. Keeping your new member clean,fed,and healthy is very important. A pet can teach responsibility as well as love and compassion.
Kelli
Mar 04, 2015 Kelli rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
My kids (age 6 and 4) love to hear me read this series out loud. They love the animals and the kids but their favorite is hearing about the vet procedures and the other medical descriptions!
Arjuna G
Sep 07, 2014 Arjuna G rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya
The kid loved this one, as I knew he would. Cats, creative solutions to tough problems, and good friends.
Maggiemyre
Great book for kids that love animals, especially cats.
Sheri
Apr 06, 2016 Sheri rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
It seems every year I have at least one student that wants to be a veterinarian. Although I worry that some of my struggling readers will get caught up in the technical language and medical terms of this story, it's a story that shows the many ways to get involved with helping animals.
Lauren
Childhood book.
Maddie
Feb 02, 2015 Maddie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great Book
Wynter
Feb 03, 2015 Wynter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a cute kids book. It could've had more detail, but the book itself was probably meant to be short and to the point. Is is a quick feel good book to read.
Mariana Morales-Titla
I really liked and I think I want a cat (maybe).
Books Kids Like
When Dr. Mac's cat, Socrates, runs away, the volunteers find a lot of feral cats inhabiting an abandoned boxcar. When Sunita sets out to find the cats good homes,she must overcome many obstacles not the least of which is her mother's fear of cats. Formulaic and predictable, but still a nice quick book to while away a few hours.
Suzanne
Apr 13, 2012 Suzanne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: create-a-kit
Same stories in Anderson's Vet Volunteers series. All these stories are so much better than the run-of-the-mill cute animal chapter books out there. They are just as enjoyable for their readers, much more informative, and address current issues. I am using them to help animal organizations plan programs for kids in grades 3-5.
Shanell
Jan 08, 2010 Shanell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cats love Sunita Patel, and she loves them back. Since her mother won't let he have a cat of her own, finding a feral cat colony is a dream come true. But Animal Control is going to destroy all of the cats unless Sunita does something drastic.
stargazer fey
Nov 12, 2012 stargazer fey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Again another beautiful story i read as a young reader (5th grade). I loved this one more then the 1st one because i found this one more sad. I hate seeing homeless pets. They dont deserve it. Plus i like kitty's...hehe.
Adelinep
This is a very good book about a few friends who try to save a group of homeless cats. If they do not there will be serious consequences. I love this book because I want to be a vet and I love cats.
Naiya
Mar 05, 2009 Naiya rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this book is sad and it is a really big adventure for sunita... she loves cats and cats love her back .... you should read this book for further information
Anisia
Jul 29, 2008 Anisia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
i love this book 'cuz its 'bout cats and how they get "saved" for anyone who wanted to read it, well it was at the book fair at corte sierra
Ilana
Apr 30, 2015 Ilana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fun, educational, intriguing book series that helps young kids interested in animals learn a bit more about their furry friends.
Rivkah.
Jul 29, 2011 Rivkah. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like how the writer addresses the cat issues in this country. When it comes to rescue stories, so many people just skip over the cats!
Katelyn 11-12
Mar 28, 2012 Katelyn 11-12 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is another one of my great books! I would spare time i my day to read this, it had great words and the love never stopped.
Anika
Aug 11, 2013 Anika rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book, and i like how it was about cats. This series is a short chapter book that i find interesting and a good story.
Kendra
Oct 03, 2008 Kendra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
this book was amazing, i could never put it down. it was great, and is perfect for any animal lover.
Kelly
Dec 21, 2013 Kelly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ag-books
I guess it was a pretty good book, if reactions are an indicator for that.
Grace
Mar 22, 2010 Grace rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was really good b/c it was about cats, and cats are my favorite animals.
Maddy
Nov 20, 2012 Maddy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm on Page 46 in the book Vet Volunteers I was on page 36 but I Read 36-46 (10) Pages
Caroline C.
Feb 13, 2011 Caroline C. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this one was better then the first i think it was ok a real good quick read.
Cade
Dec 14, 2010 Cade rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I never knew that many cats could be in one place at a time!
Erika
May 18, 2011 Erika rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: animals
sad but for all animal lovers, along with the whole series
  • Marisol (American Girl Today)
  • Bravo, Mia! (American Girl of the Year)
  • Mare in the Meadow (Animal Ark, #31)
  • Just Josefina
  • Jess
  • Bad Apple (Merits of Mischief #1)
  • Nicki
  • The Ghostwriter Secret (Brixton Brothers #2)
  • Doctor Who: The Tenth Doctor, Vol. 1: Revolutions of Terror
  • Kirsten and the New Girl
  • The Stolen Sapphire: A Samantha Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)
  • Traitor in Williamsburg: A Felicity Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)
  • The Strange Case of Baby H (American Girl History Mysteries, #18)
  • Addy's Little Brother

Ask box is open, my friends! What do you want to know?

UPDATE!

The final book in my thrilling historical trilogy about the American Revolution, ASHES, will be published October 4, 2016!

I recently answered all kinds of great questions over at Reddit. Check it out for loads about my writing process and my books:https://www.reddit.com/r/books/commen...

For bio stuff: Laurie Halse Anderson is the New Yor
More about Laurie Halse Anderson...

Vet Volunteers (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • Fight for Life (Vet Volunteers, #1)
  • Trickster (Wild at Heart, #3)
  • Manatee Blues (Wild at Heart, #4)
  • Say Good-Bye (Wild at Heart, #5)
  • Storm Rescue (Wild at Heart, #6)
  • Teacher's Pet (Wild at Heart, #7)
  • Trapped (Wild at Heart, #8)
  • Fear of Falling (Wild at Heart, #9)
  • Time to Fly (Wild at Heart, #10)
  • Masks (Wild at Heart, #11)