Start by marking “First Warning: Acorna's Children (Acorna, #8)” as Want to Read:
First Warning: Acorna's Children (Acorna, #8)

First Warning: Acorna's Children (Acorna #8)

3.78  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,309 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews

The breathtaking saga of the second generation begins!

It is difficult growing up in the shadow of heroes revered throughout the galaxy. But that is the lot of young Khorii -- daughter of the legendary Acorna and her lifemate Aari -- who must now follow her own destiny through a fantastic universe of wonders and perils.

On a journey, Khorii's trip is delayed when her ship
Published June 27th 2006 by Harper Voyager (first published 2005)

The White Dragon by Anne McCaffreyDragonsong by Anne McCaffreyDragonsinger by Anne McCaffreyDragonflight by Anne McCaffreyDragonquest by Anne McCaffrey
Best Anne McCaffrey books
72nd out of 77 books — 29 voters
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. RowlingEragon by Christopher PaoliniThe Selection by Kiera CassMockingjay by Suzanne CollinsThe Fault in Our Stars by John Green
Stunning Blue YA Covers
153rd out of 250 books — 35 voters

More lists with this book...

Cheryl Lengyel
Jan 19, 2015 Cheryl Lengyel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First Warning (Acorna book 8)

Another very enjoyable book in this series, bringing Acorna and Aari's daughter into the picture. Looking forward to reading the next book.
Kate Millin
Jul 11, 2014 Kate Millin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Khorri Acorna’s daughter is a key part of fighting a plague that is killing people across the federation
Soneaselene
May 23, 2014 Soneaselene rated it it was ok
Shelves: scifi
didn't like the writing much. really liked the world, but the characters were too one-dimensional.
Tiffany
Oct 19, 2008 Tiffany rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: teens and adults
Recommended to Tiffany by: Bookshelf at Barnes and Nobles
I love the whole Acorna series. Now that she has a daughter, the Acorna's children series is like a Teen Fiction series.
Not meaning in a bad way, but it's one of the times I've seen her deal with teen problems and issues in her books. So it might be appealing to a teenager.
Love the whole Unicorn-alien world with Earth one of the colonies for the Ancestor Unicorns. But then there is the twist in this series that make it enjoyable, time travel.
It's a good read especially if you like Anne McCaffre
Marissa
May 13, 2011 Marissa rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy-sci-fi
This first book about Acorna's children picks up a few years after the previous book ended, incorporating a new story line about Acorna's daughter with some plotlines from the previous books. This is a fun read, and it is great to get to know more about Acorna's children while still revisiting old favorite characters.
Sandra Strange
Aug 17, 2011 Sandra Strange rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Great adventure within a very interesting reality of a planet with dragons--of many sizes. Watch out for the sensuality in some of these books. However, they're still worth reading--well written fantasy adventure with positive characters and decisions, with the ultimate triumph of the noble and good.
Kira
Aug 19, 2012 Kira rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another amazing collaboration between Anne McCaffrey and Elizabeth Ann Scarborough! Incredible new characters intermingled with familiar older ones. There were twists and turns in "First Warning" that I didn't anticipate, and I cannot wait to see what else Khorii encounters on her journey to find the cure!
Mollie *scoutrmom*
Jul 04, 2010 Mollie *scoutrmom* rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of science fiction
Shelves: read-in-2010, fantasy
I've been reading the series in order, and find the quality of this one to be the best since the first one. As for theme and plot, it reads more like YA fiction than the others.

I like the new characters that have been introduced, and look forward to reading the next one.
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
I thought this series was done. Then I find out that she has children! Of course I had to pick up this book to see what is going on. We meet Khorii. Now there is another plague, but what is causing it? I did enjoy it because it is a Ms. McCaffrey story.
Sharon
Jan 10, 2010 Sharon rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, books-i-own
Number 8 - really?! I read these because they're McCaffrey, but it's hard to reconcile myself to the fact that she spending her time writing about Acorna instead of about my beloved dragons.
Theresa
Feb 28, 2015 Theresa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First Warning: Acorna's Children (Acorna, #8)
McCaffrey, Anne
this book is a dynamic story of Acorna's children, how they struggle to save their father, and the universe
Lisa
Jan 19, 2008 Lisa rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: McCaffrey fans who have read the first series
Recommended to Lisa by: no one - always look for books by McCaffrey
Very good book - good to be "back in the family". Interesting character development of the daughter and her relationships.
Carol
Feb 08, 2010 Carol rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Haven't read the rest of the Acorna series, but I will give this one a read anyway.
Baldwin_tina
I enjoyed the continuing saga of Acorna. This story is about her daughter.
Alice
Nov 05, 2013 Alice rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Overall I loved this series more than the original Acorna series.
Tara
Feb 24, 2013 Tara rated it liked it
Not bad, may continue reading the series later.
Wendy
Jan 01, 2014 Wendy rated it liked it
Read October 2007
Read September 2006
George
Good Sci-Fi story.
Virginia Hernandez
Virginia Hernandez rated it liked it
May 30, 2016
Debbie
Debbie marked it as to-read
May 29, 2016
Michelle Noble
Michelle Noble rated it it was amazing
May 27, 2016
Troy Lawry
Troy Lawry marked it as to-read
May 24, 2016
Taryn
Taryn marked it as to-read
May 28, 2016
Dee Gray
Dee Gray marked it as to-read
May 23, 2016
Zoe
Zoe rated it liked it
May 29, 2016
Khrista
Khrista marked it as to-read
May 21, 2016
Stacey
Stacey rated it really liked it
May 21, 2016
Christina
Christina rated it liked it
May 19, 2016
  • The Ship Errant (Brainship, #6)
  • The Ship Avenged
  • Dragonholder: The Life and Dreams (So Far) of Anne McCaffrey
  • A Wizard in the Way (Rogue Wizard, #9)
  • The People of Pern
  • And Less Than Kind (Doubled Edge, #4)
  • The House of the Kzinti (Man-Kzin Wars)
  • Foreign Legions (Earth Legions, #2)
  • Darksong Rising (Spellsong Cycle #3)
  • Marion Zimmer Bradley's Darkover
  • Man-Kzin Wars 9 (Man-Kzin Wars, #9)
  • The Crystal Eye (LucasFilm's Alien Chronicles, #3)
  • General Practice: A Sector General Omnibus (Sector General, #7-8)
  • The Atlas of Pern
Anne McCaffrey was born on April 1st, 1926, in Cambridge, Massachusetts, at 1:30 p.m., in the hour of the Sheep, year of the Fire Tiger, sun sign Aries with Taurus rising and Leo mid-heaven (which seems to suggest an early interest in the stars).

Her parents were George Herbert McCaffrey, BA, MA PhD (Harvard), Colonel USA Army (retired), and Anne Dorothy McElroy McCaffrey, estate agent. She had two
More about Anne McCaffrey...

Acorna (10 books)
  • Acorna: The Unicorn Girl (Acorna #1)
  • Acorna's Quest (Acorna #2)
  • Acorna's People (Acorna #3)
  • Acorna's World (Acorna #4)
  • Acorna's Search (Acorna #5)
  • Acorna's Rebels (Acorna #6)
  • Acorna's Triumph (Acorna #7)
  • Second Wave: Acorna's Children (Acorna, #9)
  • Third Watch: Acorna's Children (Acorna, #10)