First Warning: Acorna's Children (Acorna, #8)

First Warning: Acorna's Children (Acorna #8)

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  1,030 ratings  ·  16 reviews

The breathtaking saga of the second generation begins!

It is difficult growing up in the shadow of heroes revered throughout the galaxy. But that is the lot of young Khorii -- daughter of the legendary Acorna and her lifemate Aari -- who must now follow her own destiny through a fantastic universe of wonders and perils.

On a journey, Khorii's trip is delayed when her ship e...more
Published June 27th 2006 by Harper Voyager (first published 2005)

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingThe Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
You Can't Read it Just Once
72nd out of 101 books — 13 voters
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. RowlingEragon by Christopher PaoliniThe Fault in Our Stars by John GreenMockingjay by Suzanne CollinsDivergent by Veronica Roth
Stunning Blue YA Covers
155th out of 253 books — 28 voters

More lists with this book...

Kate Millin
Khorri Acorna’s daughter is a key part of fighting a plague that is killing people across the federation
Soneaselene
didn't like the writing much. really liked the world, but the characters were too one-dimensional.
Tiffany
Oct 19, 2008 Tiffany rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: teens and adults
Recommended to Tiffany by: Bookshelf at Barnes and Nobles
I love the whole Acorna series. Now that she has a daughter, the Acorna's children series is like a Teen Fiction series.
Not meaning in a bad way, but it's one of the times I've seen her deal with teen problems and issues in her books. So it might be appealing to a teenager.
Love the whole Unicorn-alien world with Earth one of the colonies for the Ancestor Unicorns. But then there is the twist in this series that make it enjoyable, time travel.
It's a good read especially if you like Anne McCaffre...more
Marissa
This first book about Acorna's children picks up a few years after the previous book ended, incorporating a new story line about Acorna's daughter with some plotlines from the previous books. This is a fun read, and it is great to get to know more about Acorna's children while still revisiting old favorite characters.
Sandra Strange
Great adventure within a very interesting reality of a planet with dragons--of many sizes. Watch out for the sensuality in some of these books. However, they're still worth reading--well written fantasy adventure with positive characters and decisions, with the ultimate triumph of the noble and good.
Kira
Another amazing collaboration between Anne McCaffrey and Elizabeth Ann Scarborough! Incredible new characters intermingled with familiar older ones. There were twists and turns in "First Warning" that I didn't anticipate, and I cannot wait to see what else Khorii encounters on her journey to find the cure!
Mollie *scoutrmom*
Jul 04, 2010 Mollie *scoutrmom* rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of science fiction
Shelves: fantasy, read-in-2010
I've been reading the series in order, and find the quality of this one to be the best since the first one. As for theme and plot, it reads more like YA fiction than the others.

I like the new characters that have been introduced, and look forward to reading the next one.
♆ BookAddict ~ La Crimson Femme
I thought this series was done. Then I find out that she has children! Of course I had to pick up this book to see what is going on. We meet Khorii. Now there is another plague, but what is causing it? I did enjoy it because it is a Ms. McCaffrey story.
Sharon
Number 8 - really?! I read these because they're McCaffrey, but it's hard to reconcile myself to the fact that she spending her time writing about Acorna instead of about my beloved dragons.
Lisa
Jan 19, 2008 Lisa rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: McCaffrey fans who have read the first series
Recommended to Lisa by: no one - always look for books by McCaffrey
Very good book - good to be "back in the family". Interesting character development of the daughter and her relationships.
Carol
Haven't read the rest of the Acorna series, but I will give this one a read anyway.
Baldwin_tina
I enjoyed the continuing saga of Acorna. This story is about her daughter.
Alice
Overall I loved this series more than the original Acorna series.
Tara
Not bad, may continue reading the series later.
Wendy
Read October 2007
Read September 2006
Christina Stephens
Christina Stephens marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Angela Smith
Angela Smith marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Kristy
Kristy marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Kristi
Kristi added it
Jul 20, 2014
Tami Yates
Tami Yates marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Jenny
Jenny marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Gloria
Gloria added it
Jul 14, 2014
Chelsea Sayarawr
Chelsea Sayarawr marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Kidaraine
Kidaraine marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
  • The Ship Errant (Brainship, #6)
  • The Ship Avenged
  • Dragongirl (Pern, #22)
  • The People of Pern
  • The House of the Kzinti (Man-Kzin Wars)
  • Foreign Legions (Earth Legions, #2)
  • A Wizard In War (Rogue Wizard, #4)
  • Darksong Rising (Spellsong Cycle #3)
  • And Less Than Kind (Doubled Edge, #4)
  • Marion Zimmer Bradley's Darkover
  • Man-Kzin Wars 9 (Man-Kzin Wars, #9)
Anne McCaffrey was born on April 1st, 1926, in Cambridge, Massachusetts, at 1:30 p.m., in the hour of the Sheep, year of the Fire Tiger, sun sign Aries with Taurus rising and Leo mid-heaven (which seems to suggest an early interest in the stars).

Her parents were George Herbert McCaffrey, BA, MA PhD (Harvard), Colonel USA Army (retired), and Anne Dorothy McElroy McCaffrey, estate agent. She had two...more
More about Anne McCaffrey...
Dragonflight (Pern, #1) Dragonsong (Harper Hall, #1) The White Dragon (Pern, #3) Dragonsinger (Harper Hall, #2) Dragonquest (Pern, #2)