Start by marking “Diplomatic Immunity (Vorkosigan Saga, #13)” as Want to Read:
Diplomatic Immunity (Vorkosigan Saga, #13)

Diplomatic Immunity (Vorkosigan Saga (Publication) #13)

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  8,047 ratings  ·  242 reviews
A COMEDY OF TERRORS from the inimitable award-winning Lois McMaster Bujold!
Published 2003 by Earthlight (first published May 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Diplomatic Immunity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Diplomatic Immunity

Clouds
Another cracking adventure with Miles! I didn't want to put it down and quickly picked it back up again. Bujold is a terrific, natural storyteller - and if you've ever read any of her work, you don't need me to tell you that! Incredibly consistent and this is another strong addition to her Vorkosigan Saga.

It doesn't quite hit the peaks of her best, but my top 3 long-running series are now, very firmly:
1) Discworld
2) Dresden Files
3) Vorkosigan Saga

'Nuff said?

I have 40+ books sitting on my 'review
Banner
Another solid story in the Vorkosigan cannon. A galactic "whodunit" wherein Miles once again risk life and limb for the beloved empire. Some old familiar characters return; and grace triumphs over pride. Lady Vorkosigan is really growing into the role. She seems to be made for this, but I think there is just so much more to explore and not as much time was spent with her as I would have liked.

With these clones who need aliens! There are some strange genetics in this one. How scientifically proph
Laurel
I just don't get it - how can every single book in the Vorkosigan saga be a home run?! It's a smaller cast, only a few of our favorite characters show up, but the book does not suffer for it. Such an imaginative wild ride of a whodunnit. This is a must read!
Mike (the Paladin)
You know, Miles has an interesting life, and now so does his wife.

Here we have another satisfying addition to the saga of Miles Vorkosigan. Having overcome his challenges had spade command, been a super spy, saved countless lives, become the voice of the Emperor what more does one aspire to? Well, parenthood of course.

But (again "of course") things never go as planned in his life...how many other diplomatic spy military tactical strategists get called away from their honeymoon to prevent a war.
Kat  Hooper
Originally posted at FanLit: http://www.fantasyliterature.com/revi...

Warning: Contains spoilers for previous books.
In Diplomatic Immunity, Miles and Ekaterin are on the final leg of their interplanetary honeymoon and are anxious to return to Barrayar where their two full-term babies (one boy and one girl) are ready to be released from their uterine replicators. But, as usual, something happens to delay their return. In this case, it’s a diplomatic issue — a Komarran merchant ship with a Barrayar
Caprice Hokstad
I'm so happy Bujold penned a "redemption" tale for Bel Thorne. Yes, there's a lot more to it than that, but Bel is very well redeemed from the past disgrace and forced resignation from the Dendarii Free Mercenary fleet. Some things were confusing to me, but that seems to be standard for any tale involving Cetagandans. Fortunately, I love the protags so much, that not understanding Cetagandans just doesn't bother me enough to be a put-off. I will read again, most certainly after a second go-throu ...more
Donna
Oh the joy, especially after a couple of very disappointing reads lately, of running headlong into the arms of my sweet Miles. Of course, I knocked him flat on his a** as I'm 12 inches taller, but Miles just laughed. He's great that way. Our time together was hindered somewhat by the presence of his new wife, Ekaterin, but I managed to ignore her completely. Miles was brilliant as usual, managing to solve a mystery at a Quaddie space station that could have precipitated a war. Not on Miles' watc ...more
Kristi Thompson
Least interesting of Bujold's novels I've read yet. The Miles Vorkosigan series started going down after Mirror Dance - I only liked Civil Campaign because of Mark, and he wasn't in this one. No decent supporting characters at all, actually.

It was just basically a science fiction space procedural mystery - not my favourite kind of mystery at all. I like her books for the characters, not the threats to the galaxy. No character development, just Miles being his superheroic ultracompentant self. I
Olgalijo
I could have given this book five stars if it weren't for the fact that there are other books in the series that are even better. Without going into spoilers I can say that Miles gets thrown into an adventure that involves previous Dendarii loved characters, worlds new and old that we have heard of or visited already, AND Ekaterine, God bless her heart, is a very cool, stable counterpoint for crazy old Miles.
Katherine
Diplomatic Immunity is a good, solid mystery story set on a space station. Miles is now established in his career as an Imperial Auditor, a sort of special investigator for the emperor. He and his wife Ekaterin are on their honeymoon, but are diverted on their way home to deal with an emergency situation between a Barrayaran space fleet and a space station occupied by the Quaddies. The Quaddies are a genetically engineered race of people who have four arms rather than two arms and two legs, and ...more
Jim
Miles & his lady in another twisty mystery set in Quaddie space. She's as good as he is & some threads from his past come home to roost. It was a lot of fun, as usual, but not critical to the series. Well worth reading, though.

As usual, the galactic community is well represented. It's an interesting bunch.

Same reader. I don't know why I can't remember his name, but he's quite good.
John Carter McKnight
Despite being a huge fan of Bujold's Vorkosigan novels for over 20 years, I'd never read this one before: for some reason, I'd skipped all the stories dealing with the Quaddies, humans genetically engineerd for zero-G.

Diplomatic Immunity is the post-Dendarii novel most reminiscent of the earliest books in the series: fast-paced, a complex plot beginning with an almost trivial initializing incident and quickly spiraling out of control, with Miles running to catch up and gambling with his life an
Ghoule
Je ne réalisais pas à quel point je pouvais détester la science-fiction militaire avant de commencer la lecture de ce roman!

Déjà que plusieurs auteurs de SF, pessimistes, ont tendance à nous prédire un retour à l'impérialisme, s'il faut lire des récits (parce qu'en plus, c'est une longue saga) dans lesquels l'auteure se complaît à AIMER cette tyrannie monarchiste, je ne peux faire autrement que me révolter.

C'est possible que je n'ai rien compris à cette « Sage Vorkosigan » en ayant commencé par
Lisa (Harmonybites)
May 21, 2012 Lisa (Harmonybites) rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of the Series
This is the fourteenth novel in the Vorkosigan Saga, a science fiction series mostly centering on Miles Vorkosigan, one of the most memorable protagonists in science fiction. Unlike the usual action hero with bulging biceps, Miles was born with potentially crippling physical problems--stunted, brittle boned. Which means Miles survives on his wits. Much more than just survives, and the story in Diplomatic Immunity puts on display a lot of the hallmarks that makes Miles one of my favorite fictiona ...more
Victoria
Jul 25, 2010 Victoria rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Victoria by: Joseph S
Kathi
Kathleen
3.5 stars. Good, and sometimes great. Miles and Ekaterin are enjoying a belated honeymoon, visiting other planets while their twin babies grow in their uterine replicator back home on Barrayar. A problem occurs in Quaddiespace, and Emperor Gregor asks Miles to check it out as his official Imperial Auditor -- a kind of inspector general or chief snoop with almost unlimited imperial power.

So off he goes with Eketarin, running into his old pal Bel Thorne, former pilot in the Dendarii Free Mercenari
Linda
This is an excellent series. Bujold has done an amazing job with Miles, maturing him through the series so that it all seems plausible. In this book, she allows him to have a Naismith experience that almost kills him. Miles does not escape unscathed. Miles is proving to be an exellent auditor. In this book he manages to stop war breaking out between the Barrayrinas and the Cetagendians - a definite positive.

While the book is mostly about Miles, we also see his wife assuming her role as Lady Vor
Michael Nash
I've gushed enough about the Vorkosigan Saga that you can pretty much just read other reviews of it to know how i feel about this novel. A star off for lacking the scope of Mirror Dance or A Civil Campaign and also for a lack of Mark or Ivan. Still a an enjoyable, quick read.
Jon
May 07, 2010 Jon rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Jon by: Beyond Reality Series Selection May 2010
I read this as part of the omnibus edition Miles, Mutants & Microbes and as the Beyond Reality book club series selection for May 2010.

On the return trip from their delayed honeymoon, Miles and his wife are diverted by Emperor Gregor to do diplomatic damage control duty in Quaddiespace. Since they are expecting twins back home on Barrayar (via the ultraconvenient uterine replicators), they are anxious to mop up the mess and be on their way. Like an onion, the layers of mystery unpeel slowin
Mark
This is the last book in the Vorkosigan series (for the moment, anyway) and about average. For those who haven't read any of them, it's space opera where Miles (the main character) is a hyperactive con-man: Think Harold Hill from the Music Man, on speed, setting up a mercenary fleet instead of boys' band. In space. Bujold is really a wonderful writer, although as you can imagine in a setup like that there is a tendency for the plots spiral out of control in the weakest books.

By this point in the
Brad
There are several things going for this novel. First, A return to a much later version of Graff Station and the quaddies. Second, a return to Cetaganda. Third, a return of our favorite hermaphrodite. The only other odd novel out that should have made a return is Ethan of Athos, or at least the first batch of interesting kiddos from that planet. Other than these bits, it may not have been the best Miles book, but it had its moments. The action picked up near the end, but the pacing wasn't exactly ...more
Tom Rowe
Jun 06, 2009 Tom Rowe rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who has read the previous Vorkosigan books.
This and Komarr are the weakest of the Vorkosigan series. By the end, I really didn't care how it was going to end, I just wanted it to end. A Civil Campaign, which fell between Komarr and Immunity, was very good so I don't think I can chalk it up to series fatigue. I think that this book was more stand alone and presented little character developement. I think seeing character development over a long series is what makes this series so great. Plus, things just stared to get redundant. Also, the ...more
Carolyn F.
Now I'm understanding the author's adding the novel Falling Free to give a little history of where the Quaddies came from. There is a little bit of a history lesson too in this book with a ballet about the main characters from that book. I love Miles' married life. She gets him. We also see an old friend - and a couple of frenemies? This is really a funny, romantic, wonderful series.
Karen
A possible duplicate post, my earlier review seems to have gone missing.

I am still a hearty fan of the Vorkosigan Saga. Every book I've ready (via audiobook) has been a joy to read/listen to. I find myself making excuses to listen more. The dogs are very well walked and my dishes are quite clean now thanks in part to Grover Gardener's sure narration.

This book follows Miles and Ekaterine to quaddie space, and features a mystery (like many/most of these novels do) as well as some old friends (lo
blindmouse
10th book in the Miles chronology. When a diplomatic incident comes up on one of the Quaddiespace space stations, Miles, travelling back from his belated honeymoon with Ekaterin, is the closest Imperial Auditor. Miles and Ekaterin are on their own particular deadline - their son and daughter are nearly due to be brought out of their replicators, back home - but it doesn't seem as though this crisis can take too long to sort out. Even if, unfortunately, it looks as though the fault is almost all ...more
Jim
Amazon.com Review

Fans won't find this surprising in the least, but Miles Vorkosigan--the plucky, short-statured hero of Lois McMaster Bujold's beloved series--is uniquely incapable of having an uneventful honeymoon. Between a racially fueled diplomatic dispute, the appearance of a hermaphroditic old flame, and a bizarre Cetagandan genetic conspiracy, Miles just can't seem to get a minute of peace with his new wife, the lovely and resourceful Ekaterin (whom Miles courted in A Civil Campaign).

Loretta
This is only three stars mostly because things didn't get really fun until the last third of the book. It is still overall a good read, and I enjoyed seeing Miles and Ekaterin together, but there was something just...a little missing. And I think the thing is that, until the adventure actually kicks in, there's just not that much at stake for Miles. He's mature, happily married, stable career - so the underpinning of pretty much every book in the series up to this point, Miles as being constantl ...more
Sola
Outer space tale that can be followed even when you haven't read the entire series. However, having read the series would probably make for a richer experience. Miles and his wife, Ekaterina, have to cut short their honeymoon to untangle a diplomatic nightmare that includes a missing (murdered?) security officer, a villain who can transmit a virus that liquefies you, and inter species love. Sweet and picks up the pace towards the end.
Kaushik Iyer
Slight sense of inevitability this time around.

Diplomatic Immunity is best thought of as a pair with Cetaganda, much like Mirror Dance is paired with Brothers in Arms and The Warrior's Apprentice is paired with The Vor Game.

It's also (at least in part) a murder mystery. A whodunnit mixed with a whydunnit. (view spoiler)

Seeds
Sci Fi Aficionados: Diplomatic Immunity 16 36 May 17, 2014 05:24PM
  • Carpe Diem (Liaden Universe, #10)
  • Worlds of Honor (Worlds of Honor, #2)
  • The Vorkosigan Companion
  • Marque and Reprisal (Vatta's War, #2)
Lois McMaster Bujold was born in 1949, the daughter of an engineering professor at Ohio State University, from whom she picked up her early interest in science fiction. She now lives in Minneapolis, and has two grown children.

Her fantasy from HarperCollins includes the award-winning Chalion series and the Sharing Knife tetralogy; her science fiction from Baen Books features the perennially bestse
More about Lois McMaster Bujold...

Vorkosigan Saga (Publication) (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • Shards of Honour  (Vorkosigan Saga, #1)
  • The Warrior's Apprentice (Vorkosigan Saga, #2)
  • Ethan of Athos (Vorkosigan Saga, #3)
  • Falling Free (Vorkosigan Saga, #4)
  • Brothers in Arms (Vorkosigan Saga, #5)
  • The Vor Game (Vorkosigan Saga, #6)
  • Barrayar (Vorkosigan Saga, #7)
  • Mirror Dance (Vorkosigan Saga, #8)
  • Cetaganda (Vorkosigan Saga, #9)
  • Memory (Vorkosigan Saga, #10)
The Curse of Chalion (Chalion, #1) Barrayar (Vorkosigan Saga, #7) The Warrior's Apprentice (Vorkosigan Saga, #2) Paladin of Souls (Chalion, #2) Shards of Honour  (Vorkosigan Saga, #1)

“The dead cannot cry out for justice; it is a duty of the living to do so for them.” 42 likes
“If you make it plain you like people, it's hard for them to resist liking you back.” 39 likes