Start by marking “Komarr (Vorkosigan Saga, #11)” as Want to Read:
Komarr (Vorkosigan Saga, #11)

Komarr (Vorkosigan Saga (Publication) #11)

4.25 of 5 stars 4.25  ·  rating details  ·  7,883 ratings  ·  230 reviews
Lord Miles Vorkosigan is sent to investigate a problem on the conquered planet of Komarr, where the name Vorkosigan is drenched in blood. The Komarrans surrounding Miles could be loyal subjects--or rebels ready for revenge.
Published April 1st 1999 by Baen Books (first published January 1st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Komarr, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Komarr

Ender's Game by Orson Scott CardDune by Frank Herbert1984 by George OrwellFahrenheit 451 by Ray BradburyBrave New World by Aldous Huxley
Best Science Fiction & Fantasy Books
347th out of 4,471 books — 16,063 voters
The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret AtwoodAlien Species Intervention Books 1-3 by J.K. AccinniA Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'EngleThe Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K. Le GuinFrankenstein by Mary Shelley
Science Fiction Books by Female Authors
54th out of 909 books — 490 voters

More lists with this book...

Clouds

Following the resounding success of my Locus Quest, I faced a dilemma: which reading list to follow it up with? Variety is the spice of life, so I’ve decided to diversify and pursue six different lists simultaneously. This book falls into my GIFTS AND GUILTY list.

Regardless of how many books are already queued patiently on my reading list, unexpected gifts and guilt-trips will always see unplanned additions muscling their way in at the front.

If you’ve never read any of Bujold’s Vorkosigan Saga
Jim
It's amazing that such a long running series can keep such momentum, even get better. I'd rate this book about the same as the last, except we're introduced to a new character that I have great hopes for. It's a twisty mystery with a lot to say, as usual. We get to see Miles played off against other characters - especially one - that makes for a great story & really brings home a lot of the lessons he's learned. Good ones, too.
Hannah
4.5 stars.

Komarr was my second expedition into Lois McMaster Bujold's "Vorkosiverse" (my first was Shards of Honour), and my first introduction to Miles Vorkosigan. I have to admit that I didn't like this novel as much as Shards of Honour, but it had nothing to do with Miles. Miles was as wonderful as I hoped he would be. No, it was certain elements of the plot, and certain reservations about the heroine, that knocked a half-star off my rating of this otherwise brilliant novel.

I like to call mys
Jon
Mar 01, 2010 Jon rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Jon by: Beyond Reality Series Selection March 2010
I connected deeply with the character Ekaterin. Her predicament broke my heart at times. Miles' heart melted as well.

Komarr takes place just three months after Memory. Miles acquires an Auditor Mentor in Ekaterin's uncle Vorthys. Both Imperial Auditors arrive at Komarr to investigate a tragic and seemingly inexplicable near space accident involving an ore freighter and the Komarran solar mirror array. Each Auditor brought a different perspective and expertise to the investigation. Vorthys' engi
Stephen
4.5 Stars. Another great installment of one of the best SF series of the past 15 years. Not quite as good as some of the earlier installments, but the quality level is still very high. Recommended!!!
Banner
Another great addition. Thank you Fellow Goodreaders for turning me onto this series.

What I enjoy about this series so far.

Miles Vorkosigan
He is foremost his parents son and he is also his own man. But you see that is how they raised him. Through this character we learn a lot about the importance of valuing our fellow human. Not just that it is important but that it enhance all life, not just the ones we directly value.

The plots. The stories weave a mystery with action and human drama leaving
John Carter McKnight
I found Komarr a difficult and unsatisfying read when it came out 15 years ago, but coming back to it much older, I not only thoroughly enjoyed it, but found it one of the best SF novels of STS/technology and society/hard SF engineering mystery out there.

The sections of Tien's emotional abuse of his wife Ekaterin are every bit as painful as ever, and definitely should have a trigger warning. But the mystery plot is just brilliant, as the failure of a geoengineering megastructure leads down and
Kathleen
4.5 stars for this romantic suspense set on planet Komarr, across the galaxy.

Eketarin Vorsoisson, Vor to the core, kicks asparagus, and not only that, she's tall, brunette, and coolly reserved, until her son is threatened. Miles is crazy about this fascinating widow, but she's done with men, after ten years with Tien the Twit.
"My goodness. You've met with an accident."

"It wasn't us. It was her. The bitch from hell. Or Barrayar, which is almost the same..."

Miles's eyes widened, and his lips part
Misha
Bujold is such a good storyteller. For one, she writes fully-dimensional, flawed and memorable characters. Ekaterin's loveless marriage is so well described; this author knows how to capture a woman's interior world so well. Miles is such a winning character in so many ways. Bujold also knows how to write dialogue that sounds real, scientifically authentic but that also forwards the action and the plot. Totally in love with her.
Maggie K
Yay for being an Auditor! This ended up being a fun little investigation, as Miles travels to Komarr, site of the Battle that earned his father the nickname, 'Butcher of Komarr'. He knows full well that he is going to have to prepare to react to all srts of responses to his presence, but he doesn't expect (though perhaps he should) to fall in love!

Miles appears here without any of his sidekicks, as he travels with one of his fellow auditors. However, Bujold adds in the voice of his Vor hostess o
Linda
Note: This is an edit of review I did in February - typos have been corrected and a couple of sentences hid behind spoiler tags.

This is the new Miles - he has accepted his position as Lord Vorkosigan. This is his first case in his new role as Gregor's auditor, and he is working out how to use his new omniscient power. For the most part, he is controlled and measured as he gets the feel of this new job. The bigger event for Miles is falling in love -- not just lusting but wanting the domestic lif
Carrie
SOA Listening Challenge: Spread Your Listening-- paranormal/fantasy/SF 4/4
SFR Reading Challenge 2012 5/15

Grade A+

A 5 star review with no hesitation or caveats. Even though I've only listened to Shards of Honour and am just now reading the first actual Miles book, The Warrior's Apprentice, I never felt lost during this story. (I do think I missed a few inside jokes, though.) I plan to go back and read the entire series now.

The writing, the story, the humor, the characters--all pitch perfect. And
Christy
Listened to this as an audiobook

It took me quite awhile to get into this book, which I've found is common for me when listening to books that include a huge amount of world building. I suppose my attention is always somewhat fragmented when I'm listening to a book and that works better for books set in a familiar world.

But once I got into it, I really enjoyed Komarr. Miles is certainly not your typical romantic hero but he was terrific nonetheless. I felt great empathy for Ekaterin and look for
Shea Levy
Miles the ImpSec agent is a cupcake: delicious and fun to eat but you get sick if you eat too many and not enough to satisfy you on its own. Miles the Imperial Auditor is a full meal, starting with a bowl of lobster bisque, moving on to a perfectly cooked filet mignon, and finishing off with some berries and cream: Satisfying, good for you, but still downright delicious and able to please a sweet tooth. Memory was about Miles becoming Miles, but Komarr is our first full opportunity to see him be ...more
Zach
One of the more interesting aspects of the Vorkosigan books is the subtle and not-so-subtle reminders that democracy turns you into a big pussy. The heroes of the saga, the Barrayarans, are a militaristic culture with hereditary government and no written law to speak of. The democratic planets, in this case the conquered Komarrans (but most often the famously liberal Beta Colony) have a lot to offer in terms of personal liberty and diversity, but when the shit hits the fan they rely entirely on ...more
Lightreads
Wow, this book is a lot less complicated than I remember from the first and only time I read it five years ago. (Though actually, it's equally fair that I'm a much more complicated reader, so).

It's a good book – unfolding mystery, wit, emotional tension, new landscapes for the universe. It's just the thematic punches were far more straight-on than I remember – keep an eye out for things that fall in this book and things that are caught, add a twist of identity games, and you've pretty much got
Jane Stewart
I wasn’t excited, but it was ok. It kept my interest.

STORY BRIEF:
Inhabitants of Komarr live in domes and wear oxygen masks when outside. The planet is in process of being transformed into a more habitable place with the use of a solar mirror. The mirror is shattered by a starship. Miles is sent by the emperor of Barrayar to investigate. Miles and his co-investigator stay with Ekaterin and her husband Tien during the investigation.

Ekaterin is unhappy in her marriage. Because of her husband’s dema
Kathi
Olga Godim
This is one of my favorite books. Not merely among Bujold’s novels or SciFi novels but in general: one of those books I reread whenever I feel blue and need a dose of cheers. You know, one of those where you remember all the plot twists, can recite some words and passages by heart, but keep reading all the same for the sheer pleasure of it. I’m aware that most people don’t consider this novel the best in the series, but for me, it’s the best. And its impact doesn’t diminish with rereading. This ...more
Tina
Taken as a whole, the Miles Vorkosigan series is simply outstanding. The series is built around the character of Miles. And through them we learn about his world, the forces that created him, how he thinks and acts and the people who love, hate, respect and revere him.

Taken as parts of the a whole, the books each stand on their own merits and, although are ostensibly classified as Science Fiction, I find that they could be cross-classified with other genres.

The Warrior's Apprentice and The Vor
SA
Dec 19, 2011 SA rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2011
"Miles Learns There is More to Life Than Work."

Wow, okay, just wow. I--you know how it is when you get too close to a character, and then you kind of watch everyone that comes into his life with a hairy eye because you are invested, okay, you have concerns about the people he gets close too.

All that shit disappeared the moment I met Ekaterin. Oh my god, she's amazing. *I* want to marry her. Just--what a center. What strength and cleverness. It was almost physically painful to watch Miles hold
Karl Smithe
I regard this book as the best of the Vorkosigan series but it only beats out A Civil Campaign by a hair. But it wins for a reason that most readers don't talk about.

What does SCIENCE have to do with science fiction? On the basis of most reviews I have read of Komarr people care about the characterizations and Ekaterin's rotten marriage and the reason for the story is mere justification for her meeting with Miles. But this story is based on the discovery of NEW SCIENCE which the bad guys try to
Olgalijo
Several times, after finishing a book in this series, I have thought something along the lines: "I have no idea how the author will make the next book live up to the last one". I have, very often, been happily surprised. This was one of those cases. The sharp change in direction in Miles life was very logic. After all, we don't want the saga to be just a long series of Dendarii mercenary adventures loosely connected. How this change would affect Miles as a character I didn't dare to imagine.
BUT,
Anna
Jun 09, 2011 Anna rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: sci-fi
I had put off reading this book because I had been frustrated a bit by Miles in Memory. But Komarr brought back everything that I've enjoyed about this series, including a smart woman as a co-leading character. Cordelia initially drew me into this world and other than the occasional glimpse of Ellie's perspective, I have missed having a woman's point of view. Ekaterin's voice made for a great change of pace.
Ruth
Another excellent book. Flowed smoothly out of Memory and should flow straight into A Civil Campaign. Could hardly put it down or rather turn it off, since it was an audiobook. Took me a mere 48 hour span to squeeze in the 13 hours necessary.

Bujold just keeps getting better.
Jefferson
"He's not so short. He's just concentrated."
Roughly the eighth book featuring Miles Vorkosigan in Lois McMaster Bujold's ever-entertaining space opera series the Vorkosigan Saga is Komarr (1998). It opens about three months after the events of the last one, Memory (1997), when the brilliant, curious, hyperactive, and independent Miles apparently found his calling as an Imperial Auditor, a detective/diplomat/judge/paladin who speaks with "the Emperor's Voice." Because Miles and his eight fellow A
blindmouse
8th book in the Miles chronology. Ekaterin Vorsoisson feels as though her life is spiraling out of control even as it constricts to make her smaller and smaller, and more helpless to save herself or her mercurial husband or especially her son. The arrival of two Imperial Auditors from home, here to investigate the destruction of Komarr's soletta-array - the only promise of a future outside the domes, for inhospitable Komarr - is more burden and distraction, even if one of them is her uncle. Mile ...more
Karen
At some point I will finish all of the Vorkosigan saga books by Lois McMaster Bujold, and at that point I will weep. I can't remember ever enjoying a book series this much, with the possible exception of the year when I discovered BOTH Asimov AND Heinlein in my school library when I was about 12. But those books lacked the continuity through the character over the years that is one of my principal enjoyments of this series.

In this book, Komarr, Miles is out on assignment as an imperial auditor.
Kathy
Mar 09, 2014 Kathy added it
Shelves: sci-fi
  • Carpe Diem (Liaden Universe, #10)
  • Ashes of Victory (Honor Harrington, #9)
  • Victory Conditions (Vatta's War, #5)
  • Primary Inversion (Saga of the Skolian Empire, #1)
Lois McMaster Bujold was born in 1949, the daughter of an engineering professor at Ohio State University, from whom she picked up her early interest in science fiction. She now lives in Minneapolis, and has two grown children.

Her fantasy from HarperCollins includes the award-winning Chalion series and the Sharing Knife tetralogy; her science fiction from Baen Books features the perennially bestse
More about Lois McMaster Bujold...
The Curse of Chalion (Chalion, #1) Barrayar (Vorkosigan Saga, #7) The Warrior's Apprentice (Vorkosigan Saga, #2) Paladin of Souls (Chalion, #2) Shards of Honour  (Vorkosigan Saga, #1)

“Some people grow into their dreams, instead of out of them.” 73 likes
“All the geniuses I ever met were so just part of the time. To qualify, you only have to be great once, you know. Once when it matters.” 50 likes