Start by marking “We Agreed to Meet Just Here (AWP Award Series in the Novel)” as Want to Read:
We Agreed to Meet Just Here (AWP Award Series in the Novel)

We Agreed to Meet Just Here (AWP Award Series in the Novel)

Fiction. Winner of the 2007 AWP Award for the Novel. Robert Eversz, Judge. "WE AGREED TO MEET JUST HERE is a lyrical mystery about disappearance, told in precise and luminous prose. A young lifeguard in an Austin suburb vanishes one night while returning from a screening of The Third Man. A doctor, ill with cancer, goes missing from his home, and is later seen, bearded and ...more
Published February 1st 2009 by New Issues Press

To ask other readers questions about We Agreed to Meet Just Here, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about We Agreed to Meet Just Here

Casey
Aug 17, 2010 Casey rated it really liked it
This novel, Blackwood's first, won the 2007 AWP Award for the Novel and was published in 2009. We Agreed to Meet Just Here is short at only 164 pages, but there is much more going on than you might expect from such a slim novel.

The novel primarily it deals with two disappearances in an Austin, Texas neighborhood: a young, beautiful lifeguard, and a sick, dying old man who happened to be the doctor who was the first to arrive on the scene of the Jonestown mass suicide. (If you've read Blackwood'
David McGlynn
Apr 09, 2009 David McGlynn rated it it was amazing
Great novel, with gorgeous scenery and some truly fabulous sentences. I read whole passages aloud and felt lifted by the language.

But I hear Blackwood is a questionable character . . . word on the street is that his past is bespeckled with inordinate malfeasances. Enjoy the book -- the book is a must! -- but hide your car keys when Blackwood comes to your house. You never know what a guy like that might do.
Laurie
Apr 26, 2015 Laurie rated it really liked it
Love his lyrical phrasing and his descriptions of Austin, but I can't figure out where he is going most of the time. Is it possible to get lost within the story even when paying attention???? Wonderful little novel!
Mieke Mcbride
Jul 07, 2014 Mieke Mcbride rated it it was ok
I wanted to like this book because set in Austin (loved recognizing the different neighborhoods and landmarks), is on a lot of "must read" lists, and is beautifully written. I even read it while laying on the grass in Zilker, for maximum Austin-ness. But this book just didn't hold my attention and I ended up spending most of it confused. The book follows several different people in Austin as they deal with various life stressors (troubled marriages, missing woman, etc.) I just didn't feel very i ...more
Angela
May 20, 2009 Angela rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Erin
I agree with other reviewers who absolutely loved the language in this book. Some passages read like poetry, and evoke such clear imagery that you can fix the scene clearly in your mind. I found some characters very compelling - others not so much - and the story was interesting, but scattered. If I could break down the rating, I'd give it a 5 for language, 4 for characters, and 3 for story. I'm wondering if this book needed another round of editing to illuminate some of the connections between ...more
Andrea MacPherson
May 10, 2016 Andrea MacPherson rated it it was amazing
It's a bit quirky, the narrative fragmented and folding back on itself, but the writing is gorgeous, and the characters fully developed and sensitively rendered.
quatina Rockmore
Jun 19, 2014 quatina Rockmore rated it liked it
I'm going to have to read this one again. It was a little confusing. I need to be more focused next time I read it.
Kelsey
Nov 20, 2011 Kelsey rated it it was amazing
This past summer I had the privilege of learning from Scott Blackwood while working with the Masters Creative Writing program at Roosevelt. Having just finished reading this, I can honestly say that Scott is not only a great teacher and all around fun, interesting, and smart guy, but he is a phenomenal writer. It's no wonder he just won the Whiting Writer's Award for this book, as well as winning the AWP Award Series in the Novel. The book is sad and true, and shows the ways in which our lives e ...more
Robert Vaughan
Jan 18, 2016 Robert Vaughan rated it really liked it
This is an ambitious book and yet a slim volume, at only 164 pages. What I loved most about it is Blackwood's strength and use of prose and poetry in combination to tell these shards of a town's loss. The ongoing threads of the two missing characters, a lifeguard and an old man, kept me riveted, and although there are some edits I might have suggested, still this is a worthy read. It echoes so much of the disjointedness of our world today: who are your neighbors? How well do we know anybody?
Rachel
Dec 09, 2014 Rachel rated it it was amazing
Shelves: novel, 2009
I saw Blackwood read at the 2009 AWP conference in Chicago and it was by far the best reading of the conference - this novel is moody, mysterious, and above all evocative of summertime suburbia. Made me think of my home of Tulsa.
Stacey
Jul 03, 2009 Stacey rated it it was amazing

The language! The emotional resonance that language creates! This is a beautiful book. My only complaint was that I loved it so much, felt so connected to the characters, I did not want it to end so soon.
Jane
Mar 22, 2009 Jane added it
If this wasn't set in Austin, I think I'd have given up on it. The characters don't interest me. I'm sure it's very well written. Just not my cup of tea.
Rachael Koske
Jun 08, 2014 Rachael Koske rated it really liked it
A student's father wrote this novel, and it was not at all what I expected. Very intriguing.
Amy
Aug 27, 2012 Amy rated it it was amazing
Most beautiful piece of full length fiction I've ever read
Teresa Petro
Teresa Petro marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2016
Laura added it
Sep 08, 2016
Natalie S.
Natalie S. marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2016
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2016
Abz
Abz marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2016
Casey Whitford
Casey Whitford rated it liked it
Aug 19, 2016
Chris Breach
Chris Breach is currently reading it
Aug 09, 2016
Jane
Jane marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2016
Scott
Scott rated it it was amazing
Jul 20, 2016
Amy White
Amy White marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2016
Kelly
Kelly added it
Jul 11, 2016
Maryday
Maryday marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2016
Stacey
Stacey marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2016
Tara
Tara rated it it was ok
Jun 04, 2016
  • The Violin Face
  • This Won't Take But a Minute, Honey
  • The Awful Possibilities
  • boring boring boring boring boring boring boring
  • The Desert Places
  • Music Through the Floor
  • Horse, Flower, Bird
  • Tomorrowland
  • Hiding Out
Scott Blackwood is the author of three books of fiction, including the forthcoming novel SEE HOW SMALL (Little Brown and Company and HarperCollins U.K. 2015). Blackwood was a 2011 Whiting Writers' Award recipient and his first novel, WE AGREED TO MEET JUST HERE, set in the Deep Eddy Neighborhood of Austin, Texas, won the AWP Prize for the Novel, Texas Institute of Letters Award for best work of fi ...more
More about Scott Blackwood...