Start by marking “Red, White, and Muslim: My Story of Belief” as Want to Read:
Red, White, and Muslim: My Story of Belief

Red, White, and Muslim: My Story of Belief

3.4 of 5 stars 3.40  ·  rating details  ·  43 ratings  ·  14 reviews
An Inspiring Account of One Woman's Journey to Reclaim Her Spiritual and Cultural Identity

For Asma Hasan, being a Muslim is not merely a matter of birth, but a matter of choice and faith. Hasan's personal relationship with her religion was, and continues to be, a defining element of her life, and through her writing she inspires a new understanding and appreciation of a fr
Published February 17th 2009 by HarperOne

To ask other readers questions about Red, White, and Muslim, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Red, White, and Muslim

A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled HosseiniThe Qur'an by AnonymousThe Kite Runner by Khaled HosseiniThe Valley Came Alive - Al Bidayah - Vol III by ابن كثيرEarly Days by Ibn Kathir
A Kindle Muslim Reading List
183rd out of 218 books — 93 voters
The Face Behind The Veil by Donna Gehrke-WhiteLove in a Headscarf by Shelina Zahra JanmohamedThe Butterfly Mosque by G. Willow WilsonFrom My Sisters' Lips by Na'ima B. RobertKhadija by Reşit Haylamaz
About Muslim Women
134th out of 145 books — 62 voters

More lists with this book...

Beth
I found this book very simplistic. In fact, I kept checking the author's information to find out how old she was when she wrote this book, thinking maybe it was written by a teenager.
There is no attempt to reconcile the rosy-colored view of Islam the author has with the very real abuses done in its name, to individuals, populations and countries.
For example, she writes, "[The son:] didn't kill his father, despite the father's previous endorsement of his brother, although in those days such a de
Jess
Jun 03, 2009 Jess rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people interested in comparative religion, Islam, Americans
I gave this book 5 stars not because I found it to be particularly revealing or unusual. Because this is my field of study, this book had actually little to offer to me. Individuals well-read in the study of Islam might find the author's explanations of certain practices and beliefs simplistic.

But it's a good book, and an important one. Non-Muslims interested in understanding more about Islam from a South Asian Muslim woman's perspective should certainly take a look at this book, which is a quic
Maheen Aziza
I commend the author's effort at writing a book on this subject matter. She does a good job demonstrating the relationship Muslims have with their religion and their American identity.

However, there are too many mistakes in the book; thus prompting one to question her research. The errors may seem minor, but they demonstrate her lack of knowledge regarding the Middle East/Muslim world. The Muslim world and the Middle East are very complex, as is the study of Islam. Too often, she generalizes to
Weavre
Wonderfully written, and small enough to tuck in my purse as well!

I'd urge anyone who's formed their opinion of Islam from American media reports to read this thoughtful, liberated view as expressed by a devoutly Muslim American woman. Pithy, insightful, plainspoken, and simply brilliant--Asma Hasan's work stands out as an ideal introduction to a rich global religious tradition.
Allie
I appreciated its heart but didn't find it to be a very focused piece. There are overly-long expository sections that feel didactic and simplified. I would have liked to see more of a memoir piece, with the information about Islam incorporated more skillfully.
Kara Merry
Her understanding of Islam and her potential are great.
Joni
Apr 19, 2010 Joni rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who wants to learn more about Mulim American upbringing and culture
Shelves: 6a
I really felt EDUCATED by this book.

Read it. It will enlighten and help dismiss the stereotypical understanding most Americans have of Islam and its holy book, the Qur'an.

It is well written and an engaging composition which draws upon the author's personal life and her commitment to Islam and its teachings - a much more progressive and free-thinking religion than one might have expected.

The book does a marvelous job of intertwining facts about Islam with personal stories that are often hilario
Raphaela
I was excited to read this, and mostly disappointed. Some sections are informative and provide good insight into the more beautiful aspects of Islam. For the most part, though, this reads less like an account and, often, more like a passionate defense against a phantom audience or critics. It's especially offputting when she speaks to Muslims who speak negatively about America, using an ugly “love it or leave it” rhetoric which begs the question, if America didn’t create an uncomfortable climate ...more
Malisa Spencer
This book was not quite what I thought it would be. It felt very preachy and included much whining and complaining. Overall, a book that doesn't have much going for it.
John Pappas
A good read for a facet of the Islamic faith that many (most) non-Muslim Americans don't ever see. It presents a soft platform of America being the perfect soil for an Islamic Nation - but not one where the government is run by a religion but one whose ethical and moral teachings are parallel with the teachings of Islam. A central tenet is to move Islam away from the radical politics and misogynistic cultural accretions picked up over the years and back to its progressive base.
Tuscany Bernier
I loved this book! It showed me a woman's simple view of her own Islam and I felt like she was encouraging me to find my own version. She comes off as very real and truthful. I learned a little about Sufism too. :)
Robin
This book is extremely simplistic and apologetic. She wraps Islam up in a pretty little bow, without delving into any of the challenging issues a modern Muslim deals with in the post 9/11 world. Her book would have been far more authentic if she had actually displayed some understanding of how tribalism has perverted much of the beautiful tenants Islam originally proclaimed.
Anne
Succinct view of Muslim beliefs interspersed with personal experiences. I enjoyed the simplified explanation of Muslim beliefs and thought she'd had some interesting experiences as an American Muslim. Quick read, fairly short book.
Lynn Dolven
The author grew up in Pueblo and her brother is active in GOP politics in Eagle County.
Jody Koch
Jody Koch is currently reading it
Aug 30, 2015
Veeraragavan Nandakumar
Veeraragavan Nandakumar marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2015
Catkin Blake
Catkin Blake marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2015
Linda
Linda marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2015
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2015
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2015
Ena
Ena marked it as to-read
May 11, 2015
Courtney
Courtney marked it as to-read
May 11, 2015
Fauzan Akbar
Fauzan Akbar marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2015
Tamar
Tamar marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2015
Naphty
Naphty added it
Feb 28, 2015
Sarah-Lena
Sarah-Lena marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2015
Asfareen
Asfareen marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2015