Start by marking “Getting Organized” as Want to Read:
Getting Organized

Getting Organized

3.47 of 5 stars 3.47  ·  rating details  ·  58 ratings  ·  11 reviews
A handy guide that has been helping people manage their daily lives since 1978 is revised and updated to apply the principles of organization to today's lifestyles.
Published January 6th 2006 by Grand Central Publishing (first published 1978)

To ask other readers questions about Getting Organized, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Getting Organized

Magda
The first time I read this, over 10 years ago, I was convinced that if I only followed these rules (which seemed unattainable), I would "get organized."

Now that I am approaching actually being organized, most of this book is ridiculous. Nobody needs to alphabetize *everything* if another way of organizing would be better for that person. The only things I liked out of this book were the master-list/daily-list idea and a breakdown of cleaning tasks (daily, twice a week, weekly, and longer-term) ....more
Penny
As a professional organizer, I found a lot of the suggestions in this book far more complicated than necessary, and apt to make someone who is struggling with organizational challenges even more put off to doing anything about them. In addition, the technology section is woefully out of date - who uses PDAs any more? Nelson tries to cover way too much information in this book, including everything from a very complicated system of balancing your checkbook to finding good child care. It's overwhe...more
Lisa (Harmonybites)
Browsing through this book is a bit exhausting and depressing. Let's just say I have far to go before meeting the standards of this book of an organized life. But then if that were not the case, what would I need the book for? (Apparently the only area of my life where I have it together is, ironically, books.) There are sections on managing time, money and space. Very useful. I'm sure. Someday I'm going to have to manage my time better and use it.
Frangipani
Winston has finally updated her household organization classic for the 21st century. Some great concepts and ideas in this book, it can really get your house and life in order. But bear in mind that the author has no idea what it's like living with children so some bits in the book made me snort with laughter, LOL.
Rebekah
Sep 09, 2008 Rebekah rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who wants to organize their life
Recommended to Rebekah by: co-worker
I didn't finish this but what I did I found helpful. I loved the section on creating to-do lists for work and setting priorities. I am more organized now when it comes to deadlines. I borrowed it from the library and I am going to take it out again soon so I can finish.
Kaethe
Reading books about getting organized is so much more fun than actually, you know, organizing.
Anna
Have the first edition from 1987 that I think was someone else's copy.
Reuel
I'm already pretty organized, but it's always good to add a few extra tips.
Natalie
Financial section is well-spelled out.
Heather
Jan 08, 2008 Heather marked it as to-read
Recommended by Sarah Kirkish (SWE).
 ♥ Rainy Day Reader ♥
Re-reading for the 4th time.
Linda C
Linda C marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2014
A.J.
A.J. marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2014
Leigh
Leigh is currently reading it
Sep 11, 2014
Ryan Walker
Ryan Walker marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2014
Vickie
Vickie added it
Aug 13, 2014
Cindy
Cindy added it
Aug 26, 2014
Keith Kukolich
Keith Kukolich is currently reading it
Aug 10, 2014
Tiffany
Tiffany marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Angela
Angela marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Nell
Nell marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
Ryan
Ryan marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2014
Helen
Helen marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2014
Jan
Jan added it
Mar 15, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Organized for Success: Top Executives and CEOs Reveal the Organizing Principles That Helped Them Reach the Top Stephanie Winston's Best Organizing Tips: Quick, Simple Ways to Get Organized and Get on with Your Life The Organized Executive: The Classic Program for Productivity: New Ways to Manage Time, Paper, People, and the Digital Office Getting Out From Under: Redefining Your Priorities In An Overwhelming World Getting Organized: Time and Paperwork