Start by marking “The Maze Runner (Maze Runner, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Maze Runner (Maze Runner, #1)

The Maze Runner (The Maze Runner #1)

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  489,852 ratings  ·  40,737 reviews
If you ain’t scared, you ain’t human.

When Thomas wakes up in the lift, the only thing he can remember is his name. He’s surrounded by strangers—boys whose memories are also gone.

Nice to meet ya, shank. Welcome to the Glade.

Outside the towering stone walls that surround the Glade is a limitless, ever-changing maze. It’s the only way out—and no one’s ever made it through ali
Hardcover, First Edition, 384 pages
Published October 6th 2009 by Delacorte Press (first published January 1st 2009)

The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingTwilight by Stephenie MeyerDivergent by Veronica RothThe Giver by Lois Lowry
Best Young Adult Books
46th out of 10,021 books — 65,911 voters
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsCatching Fire by Suzanne CollinsDivergent by Veronica RothMockingjay by Suzanne CollinsInsurgent by Veronica Roth
YA Dystopia Novels
6th out of 949 books — 9,321 voters

More lists with this book...

Jan 23, 2012 Izzy rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: tween boys
Shelves: ya, wanted-to-like-it
This book was recommended for fans of the Hunger Games series, a series that has become one of my favorites. I began The Maze Runner excitedly, hoping for an equally enjoyable, dystopian adventure. I didn't find it.

The plot was intriguing and kept me reading; in fact, it was probably the only reason why I kept reading. Some writers are able to seamlessly integrate characterization and good writing with a fast-moving plot; James Dashner is not one of them. The pacing is strange, and Dashner's use
Mar 18, 2010 Tatiana rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: those who look for a mediocre sci-fi/dystopia kind of read
Recommended to Tatiana by: Heather
This book would have been great IF:

1) the characters had some personality

2) the main character - Thomas - weren't such a Gary Stu and showed some character development and growth instead of conveniently "remembering" important information to advance the plot

3) the book weren't filled with atrocious made-up slang - "shuck-face," really, is this supposed to be cool?

4) the villains - Grievers - were actually scary or dangerous

5) the maze had some kind of mystery about it and not limited to moving w
You know how sometimes you're running really fast from a horrible creature and, in a moment of panic, you turn around to see how close it is only to run straight into a brick wall?

I don't know what that's like either.

But that inattention to detail would probably totally screw you over because a.) now you're knocked unconscious and b.) the creature is going to devour you. Good job.

I guess this is kind of like Lot's wife looking back on Sodom only to be turned into a pillar of salt.

And it is
Mar 24, 2012 Sparrow rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of the ending of LOST
Q: if you could edit this book, what would you take out?
A: the words.

. . .

Have you ever had an eight-year-old kid try to describe to you winning a level of a video game? Have you ever had a middle-aged man try to describe to you completing the games section of the New York Times? Did those experiences involve multiple conversations like this:

“What is the maze?”
“Stop asking so many questions!”

I have to say that this book was more boring than having someone tell you in painful detail about winnin
Emily May
“You are the shuckiest shuck faced shuck in the world!”

2 1/2 stars.

It's funny how just a few years can change everything - your reading tastes, your expectations, your standards... because when I read The Maze Runner in early 2011, I enjoyed it a lot. It seemed fast-paced, exciting and a little scary. Plus, I thought the slang was a nice touch.

Three years and a million dystopian/sci-fi books later and everything about me has outgrown this book. It's not terrible. I can still see why someon

Okay so before I start I want to say something.I personally hesitated to read this book because I heard too many bad reviews and things about this book.But let me tell you something.Yeah it has it's problems like the written style but this book has one of the best story plots I have ever read about.And believe,once you get into the book,you will not care about the writing or anything else.I am seriously so angry I haven't read this book early and even more for listening or reading those really

Jul 14, 2014 Cara rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who don't mind their brain getting twisted
Reading this book + No sleep= brain shock . Oh more like my brain was blown into freaking little bits. I kept thinking about it after I was done. I finished it into the late hours of the night and I kept circling in my head what was going to happen next. The point is moot but I am definitely going to read the sequel The Scorch Trials.

From the start as the reader we have NO idea what is happening. All Thomas can remember is his name. Not where he came from or any specific details of his life. Ne
EDIT 09/05/2013

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Holy crap, that looks perfect.

I am way better at writing reviews for books I hated, but I’m gonna give it a go anyway.

Okay. Breathe, Inge, breathe.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Oh, this is gooooood.

The Maze Runner was like a breath of fresh air to me. I needed a nice, clean cut from the typical YA books filled with whiny protagonists, insta-love and love triangles, and I got exactly what I asked for. This book is like a giant puzzle that you solve along with the characters. It is filled with unexpected t
The last page is turned and all I have to say is this: What for the love of all that's good and pure was this foolishness?

...Aaaaand ..... rant!
When I'm sick - the snotty phlegmy febrile kind of sick - and my brain feels sizzlingly fried, I sometimes turn to easy reading "fluff" to give my neurons a break. Sometimes this strategy backfires and the 'fluffy' book actually tries to break my long-suffering brain cells with its sheer stupidity.

It's not even mediocre; mediocrity would be elevat
At first I was a bit put out with this book. I don’t know what it is about male authors, but they can be down right infuriating. Men truly do think on a different wave length and speak another language than women. I was becoming rather frustrated with the lack of information being given, and I wasn’t sure I would be able to endure that sort of aggravation for 300 plus pages. Luckily around page 60 or so, Dashner hit his stride and I became enthralled with this story.

It’s so difficult to write a
Wendy Darling
A premise full of promise, but after 150 pages, how can there still be no answers? Deliberately withholding information becomes frustrating not only for the protagonist, but for the reader as well. The fact that Thomas does not demand more answers from his fellow captives makes it difficult to sympathize with or care what happens to him. The spoilers for the book make it sound intriguing, but I can't wade through another 200 pages before it gets to the point.

Aside from a few physical difference
I've just finished and all I can say is holy shuck! This book is awesome!

I was a little bit scared when I started this book that I wasn't going to like it as it is my first real dystopia/sci-fi book I've read. After about 110 pages it got to the point where I couldn't put it down for anything even while eating dinner I had it one hand and when bedtime came I wanted to stay up all night and read it.

The plot was fast paced, suspenseful and full of suprises. The twists and turns this book took sho
Shelby *wants some flying monkeys*

Thomas comes to the maze in a box, he has no memories of anything other than his name. He learns that he is the "GreenBean" or the newest boy to arrive. They get arrivals once a month.

There's a ton of questions about how he got there and why there is a maze that has walls that move every night.

Then there are the Grievers. Which for the life of me I could not find scary. A machine-like slug? Pour some salt on that fucker.

The next day a girl arrives.

It throws the boys into an uproar. A GIRL! an
I’m sorry, Maze Runner, because I know you have a fairly rabid fan base, but I… did not like you.

::: ducks flying objects thrown by vengeful Maze Runner addicts :::

Seriously? This was one of the flattest, most blah books I have read in a long while, and although in its defense I might have had my expectations set too high based on word of mouth, overall I was unmoved, unchallenged, and unimpressed.

Partly, while I thought the descriptions of the maze and the Grievers were awesome, the plot lacked
Mohammed Arabey
As in Harry Potter Grades system,* * Exceed Expectations * *
Didn't expect I'd Like it that much, easy fun thrilled read...Hard and Dangerous Maze though..

الروايه فعلا فاقت توقعاتي..اولا فوجئت ان اللغه سهله جدا "يمكن اسرع روايه انجليزي اقراها" يمكن لانها مكتوبه لفئه عمريه معينه
بعد كده بدات فعلا الاحداث تشدني جدا...تبدا باحداث غامضة وغريبة ويفضل يكشف جزء بعد كل فصل لغايه ماتحس انها متوقعه...لكن تظل المفاجأت حتي اخر فصل

اولا الموضوع
ففي بدايه الاحداث بيفوق بطل الروايه "توماس" ويلاقي نفسه في

Well. There was....well, first of all, I have to get a cup of water because I have a major headache.

*Goes to get cup of water*

Aah. Much better.

Okay, first second of all, my friend recommended this book. So I requested it, and (foolish me) left it lying on the table where I do my homework, in plain sight of my parents. Oops. So THEN my dad says, at dinner:
"Oh, Ellie, by the way--I borrowed that book of yours, Runner? Or something?"
*gulps nervously* "The Maze Runner?"
"Yeah, that's it.
mark monday
[oblique spoilers ahead]

A is for Apocalypse! A modern craze; a timeless fantasy. What shall bring us to this place? Can there be life after such an event? And if so… what kind of life would that be?

B is for Banzai! “Banzai” is a traditional Japanese exclamation meaning “ten thousand years”. A Banzai charge is a last, desperate charge.

C is for Cube! “Cube” is a 1997 film by Vincenzo Natali. The characters in this film are trapped in a kind of maze, and must pass from one cube-shaped room to a
Whitley Birks
See the chapter x chapter breakdown on my blog

As if the simplistic and "tell-y" writing in this book weren't bad enough, we also have to content with some truly atrocious pacing, inconsistent characterization, logic gaps out the wazoo, a Gary Stu of a main character, and an ending that kicks this book up into whole new levels of WTFery.

The majority of this book is people jealously withholding information that gets revealed a few chapters later, which makes it painfully obvious that all the not-t

El corredor del laberinto es la primera parte de la tetralogía que lleva el mismo nombre. Es una novela cuya película salió el año pasado y que vi antes de leer el libro. Ahora que he leído el libro puedo decir que estoy fascinada con el mundo que ha creado el autor y que nadie puede morir sin leerlo.
Como comentaba, lo más fascinante de la saga es la ambien
Preamble: I apologize up front about the spoilers in this review. They are hidden, but if you don't want to know some of the spoilers, don't click on them! Fair warning!

Review: I read this at the encouragement of one of my kids, who dearly loves this book. So let me state right up front, buddy, I'm glad you loved this book. Now I'm going to express my opinion. Please remember that we're all allowed to have our opinions, even if mine is wrong.

Now, I didn't hate The Maze Runner by any means. But
My experience with this book turned out to be a unique one: for most of the book I was thinking that it had some redeeming ideas but that it just wasn't good enough, but the last third really turned everything around. Let's discuss.

I bought this book over a year ago because of the Dystopia craze.. having read so much dystopia though, I wasn't able to pick it up. It's been a while though, and I picked it up at a time where I was excited for it which turned out for the best.

I was first stricken wi
Neal Shusterman
I enjoyed the Maze Runner, but not as much as I wanted to. It was a great concept, and the story was compelling, the characters and plot twists interesting, and there was no limit to Dashner’s creativity. My big problem was that the characters were manipulated by the story, and not the other way around.
There were so many times when the characters would have figured things out. They’re supposed to be brilliant kids, and yet they are continually clueless about things that are pretty obvious to th
Kate ❣
It's 1am, just finished this and it was aMAZEing, see what I did there ;)
Review to come!!

Review (more like gush):
Where do I even start this review...
Okay, so, The Maze Runner is absolutely incredible! I loved it so much!

This book instantly sucked me in, when I really just got it off my shelf to look at it! Haha, I had always been a bit hesitant to read this book, because I didn't think I'd like it much... Boy, was I wrong. I even broke a book-lover rule and saw the movie first, because I was nev
Christina (Confessions of a Book Addict)
You know the moment you are reading a book and you are hooked? You NEED to know what is going are desperate. Your heart starts pounding, you can't breathe easily, you are gasping for air, anxiety takes hold of you, and you are on the edge of your seat? Please tell me that I am not the only one....although that does sound mildly reminsicent of my asthma attack last year at kickboxing class...but I digress. This crazy edge of my seat, NEED TO KNOW NOW experience was how I felt about this ...more
Clau R.
Natalie Monroe
THIS. This is how you write a special snowflake without him turning into a Gary Stu. Or make me want to claw my eyes out.

Thomas, the MC, suddenly shows up in an isolated place/society with no memory of his family or friends. The only thing he can remember is his name. Turns out he's inside a place called the Maze and most its male occupants have been here for two years, trying to find a way out while forging a living for themselves.

It's not easy though. The walls of the Maze shift every night a
I love mazes (and labyrinths, although they are technically something entirely different), but for some reason, when this book came out I wrote it off, thinking that it would be a sort of juvenile adventure story, and not really my thing. I didn't know anything about it, but the title just didn't call to me.

So when I finally did get around to reading it, even after many, many people have told me how great it is, I was still impressed by how awesome it is.

Oh awesomeness, let me count the ways:
Reasons Ienjoyed reading this book
1. It's a fast-paced, interesting plot
2. You're hooked from the beginning
3. The concept is rather original

Reasons I didn't enjoy reading this book
1. I did not like reading it on the recommendation that it is like The Hunger Games. I think I would've enjoyed it more if I was not making the comparisons.
2. I couldn't picture what a Griever would look like
3. "Good that?"
4. These kids are supposed to be extremely intelligent? I don't believe it.
Ashton Gibbs ♥ BB&B
The Maze Runner – James Dashner
Beauty, Books and Babble

I read this as a buddy read with Ashley. :)

“You ready or not?”
Thomas looked at Minho, matched his suddenly hard gaze. “I’m ready.”
“Then let’s go runnin’!”

The Maze Runner centres on the story of Thomas, who finds himself in an unnerving place called the Glade with no idea who he is, where he’s come from or why he’s been sent there. He finds himself amongst a group of boys who have all started in the same situation – they’ve been flung int
**Review written POST-watching the movie. All spoilers mentioned WILL be tagged**

“Just follow me and run like your life depends on it. Because it does.”

So, the good and bad news:

Bad: The movie significantly deviated from the book. A lot of key events were different, the chronology of events changed & almost everything was just a big WTF IS GOING ON ANYMORE.

Good: The deviation wasn't entirely a bad thing because it actually addressed a lot of problems I had
YOUNG ADULT BOOKW...: The Maze Runner 45 184 10 hours, 11 min ago
Book review term 1 A 5 13 15 hours, 37 min ago
Book or Movie??? 11 29 Oct 08, 2015 07:33PM
Why do most people dislike The Death Cure? (MAJOR SPOILERS) 312 2891 Oct 07, 2015 03:13AM
The Maze Runner in a Nutshell... 5 24 Oct 06, 2015 05:31PM
Newt is my favourite character! Is he yours? 16 61 Oct 06, 2015 02:00AM
  • Delirium Stories: Hana, Annabel, and Raven (Delirium, #0.5, #1.5, #2.5)
  • Horde (Razorland, #3)
  • The Drowned Cities (Ship Breaker, #2)
  • UnWholly (Unwind, #2)
  • Fear (Gone, #5)
  • The Ask and the Answer (Chaos Walking, #2)
  • Prodigy (Legend, #2)
  • The Legacy (The Declaration, #3)
  • Incarceron (Incarceron, #1)
  • The Infinite Sea (The 5th Wave, #2)
  • Variant (Variant, #1)
  • The Dead (The Enemy #2)
  • Solitary (Escape From Furnace, #2)
  • Rip Tide (Dark Life, #2)
  • Behemoth (Leviathan, #2)
  • Birthmarked (Birthmarked, #1)
  • The Dead-Tossed Waves (The Forest of Hands and Teeth, #2)
  • The Roar (The Roar, #1)
James is the author of THE MAZE RUNNER trilogy and THE 13TH REALITY series. He also published a series (beginning with A DOOR IN THE WOODS) with a small publisher several years ago. He lives and writes in the Rocky Mountains.
More about James Dashner...

The Maze Runner (3 books)
  • The Scorch Trials (Maze Runner, #2)
  • The Death Cure (Maze Runner, #3)
The Scorch Trials (Maze Runner, #2) The Death Cure (Maze Runner, #3) The Kill Order (Maze Runner, #0.5) The Eye of Minds (The Mortality Doctrine, #1) The Journal of Curious Letters (The 13th Reality, #1)

“If you ain’t scared… you ain’t human.” 1411 likes