Start by marking “Troubadour” as Want to Read:
Troubadour

Troubadour

3.32  ·  Rating Details  ·  250 Ratings  ·  40 Reviews
A story of persecution and poetry, love and war set in 13th century Southern France. As crusaders sweep through the country, destroying all those who do not follow their religion, Bertrand risks his life to warn others of the invasion. As a troubadour, Bertrand can travel without suspicion from castle to castle, passing word about the coming danger. In the meantime Elinor, ...more
Published August 18th 2009 by Bloomsbury USA Childrens (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Troubadour, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Troubadour

Alanna by Tamora PierceTwelfth Night by William ShakespeareLeviathan by Scott WesterfeldEon by Alison GoodmanIn the Hand of the Goddess by Tamora Pierce
Girls disguised as Boys
147th out of 488 books — 604 voters
City of Glass by Cassandra ClareTwenty Boy Summer by Sarah OcklerBlue Moon by Alyson NoelThe Summer I Turned Pretty by Jenny HanThe Body Finder by Kimberly Derting
TRT's 2009 Gotta Have 'Em List! (Part 3)
100th out of 148 books — 182 voters

More lists with this book...

Carole
Feb 25, 2010 Carole rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story starts in France in 1208 when one of the main characters, Bertran, a troubadour, witnesses the murder of Pierre of Castelnau, one of the Pope's representatives, who has been visiting the Count of Toulouse. He knows that this could mean trouble. not just for himself. but for all the Pope's enemies and he tries to warn other heretics (like himself) who could be in danger from the Pope's revenge by travelling to the various towns and cities of Southern France.

The other main character, Eli
Mara
Oct 10, 2012 Mara rated it really liked it
Cover Blurb: Like the seriousness of it - the red sky, the crumbling castle. Don't like that it stares at me, even though the girl looks how I imagine Elinor.

What I Liked: While Elinor didn't make a huge impression on me as a protagonist, she wasn't annoying, and she was a convincing tomboy. I loved the premise of the story. Here's where I had trouble:

What I Disliked: The way the story was written, it didn't give me much of an opportunity to know Elinor and Bertran. While I did get to know Bertr
SJH (A Dream of Books)
I love historical fiction and reading about real-life events. 'Troubadour' is set in Southern France during the thirteenth century when the Cathars or 'True Christians' were persecuted by the Pope and burnt alive as heretics all across France. Thousands of people were killed during the period from 1209 to 1229 as the Pope promised their lands to any Northern Frenchmen who would fight in the crusade against them.

Mary Hoffman has used this as a backdrop for the book and has woven a story about a t
Renee
Jul 01, 2010 Renee rated it did not like it
Shelves: ya
Ergh.

I was going to leave my review at that...A single, non-committal grunt of frustration, but I realize how useless that would be to everyone else. Clearly, I did not like the book, but why? Did my frustration stem from the book itself, or was I perhaps preoccupied with an irritating neighbor, coloring my perception of the novel?

Let me tell you....it was the book.

I am still giving Hoffman one star for this because she obviously did extensive research prior to writing Troubadour. At least half
Karolien
Jan 08, 2014 Karolien rated it liked it
I liked The Falcon's knot very much but this book is also nice to read if you're into historical fiction.

The story is about a young lady who lives in the South of France during the middle ages. Her name is Elinor.
She is the daughter of a very wealthy landowner and his wife and the sister of a knight and other lady.

When the North of France declares war to the South, all hell breaks loose !
To spare his daughter her father arranges a marriage between her and an old and wealthy widower.

Elinor doesn'
Amy Umlah
I have some seriously mixed thoughts about this book. Some parts I absolutely loved and parts I hated and found boring to read. The book tended to have short bits that were good followed by longer boring parts. The book itself was separated into three separate parts: Donzela, Trobairitz, and Domna. Each part representing a time in our main characters, Elinor's life, from when she was a noble daughter running away from an unwanted marriage, the beginning of war and her struggles being away from h ...more
The Book Queen
Gah. I love this book SO. MUCH.
(view spoiler)
Veraa
Oct 10, 2015 Veraa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-i-own
So at first I thought this book would be very similar to the Stravaganza series. (Because the cover is hella similar). I was soooooo wrong. It was still a nice story and it wasn't a lovy dovy story like I first imagined it.

But it was hard to follow, especially the parts that didn't involve Elinor. There were sooooo many names of important people and I couldn't follow who was who.

Also an annoying thing was that there were these words that were "translated" for the book to fit into the time area
Rebecca
Dec 24, 2009 Rebecca rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of historical fiction who are teens or older
As a young noblewoman in thirteenth-century France, Elinor may live a life of comfort, but she has little control over her own future. She is secretly in love with the much older Bertrand, a troubadour who often travels to her family's home. Bertrand has a secret of his own - he is a member of a religious sect that the powerful Catholic church wants to destroy, considering them heretics. When Elinor learns her parents wish to marry her off to a man old enough to be her grandfather, she decides s ...more
Ellen
Dec 22, 2012 Ellen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sinds ik de Stravaganza-serie van Mary Hoffman heb gelezen, ben ik helemaal weg van haar boeken. Door haar manier van schrijven kan je je echt ongelooflijk goed inleven in het verhaal, dat trekt me altijd erg aan. Ook in dit boek waren de beschrijvingen heel levendig en geloofwaardig, bij momenten leek het echt alsof je je in een middeleeuwse burcht bevond.

Ook in de personages kon ik me erg goed inleven, ik vond vooral Iseut, een trobairitz (een vrouwelijke troubadour) heel heel leuk personage.
Libby Ames
When young Elinor’s parents insist she marry a much older man, Elinor runs away and becomes a troubadour—a traveling poet and minstrel. However, thirteenth century southern France is not a safe place to travel. A large army is invading in the name of religion, but really in an attempt to gain more profit and land. Elinor and her friends are caught in the conflict and the politics.

Hoffman’s writing is full of historical detail about a lesser known time period in southern France. She includes batt
eXtreme
Oct 17, 2011 eXtreme rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
Phoebe
Mar 27, 2010 Phoebe rated it liked it
Not as well written as Hoffman's other novels, this book still holds the reader pretty well until the end, but would have made more of a splash if it hadn't come along on the heels of K.M. Grant, who does a better job with her Blue Flame series. Hoffman bases her tale in the same region, the Languedoc area of France, just when the Pope moves to crush the heretical Cathars, or Believers. Caught up in events is young Elinor, whose parents intend her to marry an older man, and Elinor, unable to bea ...more
Rachel
Aug 02, 2010 Rachel rated it it was amazing
Another fantastic book from Mary Hoffman. I've been putting off reading this book for awhile, as I finished up Hoffman's Stravaganza series. I'm glad I finally did read it. It was a well-researched and well-done historical fiction set in 13th century southern France during the time of the Albigensian Crusade, or the Catholic Church's war against the Cathars, called the Believers in the book. They were seen as heretics by the church. The Pope authorized a crusade initially against the Cathars, bu ...more
Vickie Wilson
This is one of the most incredibly boring stories I have ever read. Essentially it’s a history lesson with a very clichéd plot that is barely mentioned due to every other paragraph just going on about the war. I love history but I nearly fell asleep, ended up skim reading the last 100 pages (didn’t miss anything important, story ended exactly how I expected).

Elinor is a very spoilt character, naturally I can understand why a 13 year old girl wouldn't want to marry a guy in his forties but the wa
Jordan
Jan 29, 2011 Jordan rated it liked it
Alright so I have to start off by saying that i have mixed feelings about this one. Up until the last two to three chapters I had every intention of writing a negative review. The only thing that I didnt like about the book though is that I felt like it drug on and on. The last few chapters were the best part of the book to me. I never would have guessed the way that it ended Though I enjoyed the outcome I did not enjoy the way that it ended. I felt that it ended too abrubptly. It is hard to exp ...more
Giulia
I hardly remember anything from this book's plot or from its characters so I guess that speaks for itself. I remember not being very impressed though.
Tosca Wijns-Van Eeden
It was a very lovely story, a lot of history though which was a bit boring and a lot of war.
But I liked the development of the Elinor character throughtout the book.

After reading the Stravagante series this book was a dissapointment, but on itself is was a nice story.
Marcelle
Feb 11, 2015 Marcelle rated it really liked it
heel mooi verhaal, kastelen, ridders, jonkvrouwen...
Natalie
Aug 24, 2014 Natalie rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
The first part of the book consumed me, and I quickly fell in love with Elinor as a character. The story reminded me of Silence, but the view of the more than one character rounded the world the story was built in. Halfway through, I simply couldn't bring myself to finish it for a long while. I was too scared to know what happened, and when I finally finished, I was partly correct. However, while I disliked the abrupt outcome, there was enough to convince me that it was the better outcome. The e ...more
Niki
May 10, 2014 Niki rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant book!!! I especially loved Elinors love story it was so hilarious!!!!!!!!!
Joanna Bethea
Jun 11, 2013 Joanna Bethea rated it it was ok
This book was historical, which I usually like but so briefly introduced SOOO many characters that I was very confused during the story as to whom was whom. I was also more of an historical account of wars than it was a flowing story of love or history. I wasn't completely taken with this book but had to finish it and it took me much longer to finish than a book this length usually does. I will most likely not be finishing the series because of the confusion and lack of interest.
Mandy
Aug 24, 2010 Mandy rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
Hard to get into but ultimately enjoyable book taking place in thirteenth century France. I have a bias towards things about France, and knowing the language helped deduce the meaning of phrases interspersed throughout (a brief glossary is in the back of the book, but it was not thorough). There was love, there was war, there were court entertainers and catapults. A good story, but could turn some people off with the amount of unfamiliar phrases.
Jenny
Jul 15, 2011 Jenny rated it really liked it
Chock-full of history, Hoffman has weaved a story of the Albigensian Crusade, which will both shock you and teach you. It ends well, but I felt that Elinor's character was a bit tame in places. Hoffman's writing is sometimes like watching the black-and-white version of a movie. It seems to lack the color and luster of the modern style, which isn't bad, but does seem a bit pale sometimes in comparison.
Richard Lee
Lots to like, but I felt it dodged the horror of the history here. I'd have preferred either a tale that was about troubadours (picaresque, romantic, exciting but light-hearted) or a story about the massacre of the Cathars (many YA books deal with utterly bleak subjects and don't turn their heads away). This book sort of mixed the two. This caused fault-lines to appear for me.
Maureen E
Oct 12, 2010 Maureen E rated it it was ok
I’m getting more and more impatient with historical novels which focus on a main female character who is rebellious and doesn’t want to do her needlework and doesn’t want to marry for anything except love. I’m sure there were plenty of girls who felt that way, but not all of them, surely. In the end, this book was more nuanced, at least in that regard.
Marjorie
Interesting story about the Cathars in medieaval France. I didn't enjoy it as much as the author's 'Stravaganza' books as I found the research showed through I little too obviously, and felt that some of the characters behaviours were a little anachronistic, but still a very good read, and an interesting introduction to this historical movement.
Loz
Jan 05, 2013 Loz rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I know I said I don't know why I read bad YA, but I got this for Crimbo and it's an author whose other series I've really enjoyed.

This however wasn't great. It wasn't awful either. It was interesting certainly, but interesting in the way a textbook is, and it felt more like I was reading one with a bit of story in it. Odd one to review. :/
Kate
Apr 27, 2010 Kate rated it really liked it
It was curious to find so many terms and concepts from my graduate musicology seminars set into this fictional story. She did a good job with it, however, and I enjoyed the read. As a story, it seemed a little fast paced at times; a complicated story set against a very complicated backdrop.
Patricia
Oct 12, 2009 Patricia rated it really liked it
Shelves: teen-fiction
Historical fiction from a little-known period in French history- the 13th century in southern France, where Christian crusaders destroyed practically everything in their path. A riveting read, with horrifying detail.
  • The Plague
  • Bloodline (Bloodline, #1)
  • Raven Speak
  • Second Skin
  • Rosemary for Remembrance (The Janna Mysteries, #1)
  • The Prophet/The Art of Peace
  • No Moon
  • Petronella Saves Nearly Everyone: The Entomological Tales of Augustus T. Percival
  • Deep in the Heart of High School
  • Montacute House
  • The Blood Debt (Books of the Cataclysm, #2)
  • Babylonne
  • Rabenlady
  • An Apple A Day (Old-Fashioned Proverbs and Why They Work)
  • The Book of Idle Pleasures
  • VIII
  • Visions of Power (Ingenairii, #1)
  • Whisper My Name
Mary Hoffman is a bestselling British author and reviewer, born in 1945. She is a true enthusiast of Italy and spends a lot of her time there, which shows in her Stravaganza novels: a series currently in publication. In total, she has written over 80 books, including the aforementioned Stravaganza series and the bestselling picture book, Amazing Grace. Mary is also the editor of a review magazine ...more
More about Mary Hoffman...