Start by marking “The Shadow Door” as Want to Read:
The Shadow Door

The Shadow Door (The Elsewhere Chronicles #1)

It's bad enough when Max, Rebecca, Noah, and Theo just think Grandpa Gabe's house is haunted. But then the old movie projector in the library opens a passageway to a world of monsters and creatures made of shadows - a place of secrets and dangers set loose when the sun sets. The only weapons to fight them lie in the land on the other side of the Shadow Door...
Published April 1st 2009 by Graphic Universe (first published December 23rd 2006)

The Holy Terror
I read the first five books in this series in one sitting, simply because they were short, I had the time, and I had them all out from the library. There will be NO SPOILERS for the rest of the books, rather, I thought I'd just give my overall thoughts about things in general.

First off, I hope you can actually find this series; it seems my library placed a huge order for all sorts of graphic novels for kids recently but not many people can find them at their own. If yours has a section like mine
Kari Ramirez
Mar 18, 2013 Kari Ramirez rated it really liked it
Creepy, funny, sad and hopeful are the words I would use to describe this series of books. I picked them up at the library when I was waiting for Emma the other day thinking she would like them, but the cover for The Parting was slightly creepy so I decided to read them first. Good thing I did!

I've seen the books recommended for ages 7+ and also 9+ and I think the 9+ is more accurate. The books deal with some heavy issues, like death, child abuse and terminal illness. Nothing too graphic, but he
Hamster
This graphic novel felt like it was written by a screenwriter. The scenes were very cinematic. Great story. The art was pretty good too. The only problem was that great dialogue for a movie doesn't translate very well to comics. I found myself confused more often than not. Since the voices in my head all sound the same, I had trouble figuring out who was saying what and what it meant. I'm all for realistic, conversational dialogue, but comics need to be more about the art and less about the litt ...more
Nick
Very enjoyable, but not a stand-alone story. The writing was a bit rushed, although the story itself was interesting. The artwork was good but not great. I think the overall series may end up being better than this part, because the story may make sense by then.
Hannah
Apr 24, 2016 Hannah rated it really liked it
I like where this is going. The dialogue felt a bit lurchy or slightly off at times, but I couldn't quite put my finger on why. The first book in the series definitely jumps right into the story, and the plot is attention grabbing. I'm hoping for a bit more character development (in terms of backstory/context) in the following books. Not sure how to summarize the tone of the book. The spirit of adventure kind of gives it an upbeat, energetic feel, but there is clearly some dark subject matter/de ...more
Harla
Feb 11, 2013 Harla rated it liked it
Graphics a little too dark and I mean the pictures are dark not so much the plot. But other than that the storyline was interesting and pulled me along. I may read on...
Olivia
Oct 04, 2011 Olivia rated it it was ok
This book was alright, it wasnt my favorite. Im not a huge comic book type fan. I got kinda confused sometimes.
Vanessa Montalvo
Nov 15, 2013 Vanessa Montalvo rated it really liked it
Have you ever been trough a warmhole if you havent and you want to see where it might take you. I think this book is sciense fiction because of what the story is about.I tought this book was pretty interestung because of what happens when you press just a button thta looks like a tape recorderand how a type of monster is scared of the light.

The setting of this book is a house where a man they call old man gabes because he died they wanted to go check it out so they went and got a surprise it a
Dolly
Oct 03, 2013 Dolly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: middle graders who enjoy reading graphic novels
This is the first book in The Elsewhere Chronicles series of graphic novels by Nykko and Bannister. I discovered the first couple of books at our local library and our oldest liked them so much, I put the next few on hold right away.

The story is a bit disjointed (perhaps something was lost in the translation), but it's very dramatic and engaging, too. I liked the interaction between the characters, and even though I'm not exactly sure what's going on in the story yet, I'm drawn into the tale. I
James Biser
Jul 22, 2016 James Biser rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As far as graphic novels go, this was good. The action followed the format of an adventure film, with good characterization of the four young heroes of the story. The worked well together, and the story was well-presented in the graphic novel format. This is a good read, and I recommend it to everyone that enjoys this genre.
Amy M
Apr 28, 2014 Amy M rated it it was ok
It was all right. I'll read the next two as I've borrowed them from the library, but otherwise I might not have bothered. Decent story with serviceable art, but so so short.
Nicola Mansfield
Nov 19, 2009 Nicola Mansfield rated it really liked it
The first in a trilogy, this gorgeously illustrated fantasy introduces how three boys meet Rebecca and end up finding a door to another world through an old movie projector in an empty old house. Being the first book, we meet all the characters, are given enough backstory, some foreshadowing and a cliffhanger ending. Following the format of the traditional graphic novel/comic serial, this is a great book for younger ages to get started on a graphic fantasy series. Four very enjoyable main charac ...more
Wandering Librarians
This was a fast-paced story, as in once the action started it slapped you around until the book abruptly stopped. It was fascinating and seems to have the potential to be pretty epic. There's a good possibility that some intense themes are going to play a part of the storyline. Also it looks like the alternate dimension is going to have some great history. It looks like there is going to be quite a huge ensemble of characters, and they look to be pretty well done. Obviously this is a series and ...more
Michelle Rosales
Jun 22, 2012 Michelle Rosales rated it liked it
Shelves: 5360-summer-12
Rebecca Dellile is in for quite a mysterious adventure. When she attends her estranged grandfather’s funeral, she makes friends with Theo, Max and Noah. She is soon informed that her grandfather’s house is known to be haunted. The children decide to go in and check it. They find themselves to be way in over their heads when inside, a danger light goes off. The children sprint out only to return the next day. It is this day that Rebecca gets taken into another realm with Max. Will they every be s ...more
Aldrei
Feb 08, 2016 Aldrei added it
Well I did not read this first chapter yet, but I need to see what happened
Aug 16, 2014 Jennifer rated it it was ok
The plot was very shallow.
I dunno if I want to read the next book or not.
Jacob
Jun 13, 2012 Jacob rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Public library copy. I read this at the behest of my youngest daughter who picked up 4 books in this series over the weekend. She expressed to me she loved the series so much she expected I would too. She's right, I did wind up liking this book. The funny thing is, I could have sworn I got these for her in the past, but for whatever reason she didn't like the art or the reading bug never got a hold of her, or some other excuse. Now she states just the opposite. Well, in the words of Gilda Radner ...more
Vigava
Jul 19, 2015 Vigava rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Es un cómic súper entretenido, cuando lo leía no lo podía soltar...
Timothy
Jul 23, 2011 Timothy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first volume of what seems to be a fun exciting fantasy series. According to the publication information, this was originally published in Belgium and since it also has a translator, I'm assuming this was originally written in either Flemish or French.

As exciting as the it is, I would not recommend this for children 8, as some of the creatures drawn seem to be of the stuff of nightmares. Somewhat of a Secret of NIMH vibe. But if they can handle it, then they're in for what seems to be the be
Michael
Jul 14, 2016 Michael rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Heaps of fun!
Cristian
Oct 28, 2015 Cristian rated it it was amazing
goood book
Rad
I'm not actually sure when I read this, but I'm fairly sure it was sometime in 2010. I'm also not sure why I didn't record it here - I think because I read it at the library, without checking it out. That means I didn't take it home with me. That means it got pushed out of my brain by whatever else I took home with me.

In any case, this series is AMAZING. I get distracted by pretty art, which this has in spades, but I think the writing (translation?) is there too. In any case, I gobbled it up.
Kellie
Aug 11, 2013 Kellie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
Rummaging through our graphic novels at the library at the beginning of the new fiscal year I decided to check out some titles I had not been involved in purchasing. This one is a good tale about kids finding themselves in an alternate world and their friends realizing that the machine that took them there needs to be fixed before they can ever see them again. Rather small lengthwise I wish it was a little longer, maybe look for collections of the "books" next time. Great for readers 8-up.
Bruce
Jan 02, 2010 Bruce rated it really liked it
What’s so scary about Old Man Gabe’s house? Maybe it’s the shadows or all the strange stuff in it: so many old books, the huge movie projector, his journal filled with scary stories, or all the unusual toys? Maybe it’s because Noah, Theo, Max, and Rebecca visit it for the first time right after his burial? Maybe it’s because the stray dog barks and cowers before its gate, or is it the strange voice that shouts out, “DANGER! LIGHT! TURN ON THE LIGHT, FOR HEAVEN’S SAKE!”
Carrie
Jul 05, 2010 Carrie rated it really liked it
Shelves: j-graphic-novel
Chris
Aug 15, 2009 Chris rated it it was amazing
I think this is the best graphic novel for young readers (grades 3-6) I've seen. Intentionally slighter than a novel, it takes its time and doesn't lack for depth or dimension yet has plenty of action and intrigue. You might call it Gregor the Overlander with fewer words (pictures instead), except with 4 distinct protagonists. Natural dialogue. Really nice art. I'm ready to read the next one and see where it goes.
Ben W
Oct 30, 2014 Ben W rated it really liked it
a good comic book
Brett
Jun 20, 2012 Brett rated it it was ok
Shelves: j-graphic-novel
Perhaps as a function of my only just beginning to read graphic novels with any regularity, I had a hard time following the story line/plot of this one. It seems like an interesting setup, though, with a potentially haunted house whose recently deceased owner had some definitely strange inventions. I'll see what happens with the next one - maybe I'll start to get into the style a bit more.
Elizabeth
Jun 21, 2012 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Rebecca’s grandfather has just been buried. She wants to visit his house. Max, Noah, and Theo (locals) tell her it’s haunted. As they explore his library, a movie projector is found. This movie projector transports them into another world filled with creatures, and the action begins. This is a graphic novel full of action and excellent drawings.
Cindy
Aug 08, 2015 Cindy rated it it was amazing
Great novel for younger readers! There's is a lot of action and when this whole series is done will be great. The characters all have a bit of depth to them. the dialogue between each other seems realistic and not stilted. The drawings are very detailed and very very well done. Definately takes it's time developing a plot but it's worth it.
  • Crogan's March (The Crogan Adventures #2)
  • Oddly Normal
  • Kaput and Zosky
  • Salt Water Taffy, vol. 1: The Legend of Old Salty
  • Tower of Treasure (Three Thieves, #1)
  • Jellaby: Monster in the City (Jellaby, #2)
  • Spera, Volume 1
  • Dragon Puncher
  • The Search
  • Joey Fly, Private Eye in Creepy Crawly Crime
  • Luz Sees the Light
  • Flight Explorer, Volume 1
  • And Then There Were Gnomes
  • Set to Sea
  • Polly and the Pirates, Volume 1 (Polly & the Pirates, #1)
  • Gunnerkrigg Court, Vol. 1: Orientation (Gunnerkrigg Court #1)
  • Lunch Lady and the League of Librarians (Lunch Lady, #2)
  • The Secret Science Alliance and the Copycat Crook

The Elsewhere Chronicles (6 books)
  • The Shadow Spies