Start by marking “The Darkest Fear (Myron Bolitar, #7)” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Darkest Fear

Harlan Coben

The Darkest Fear (Myron Bolitar #7)

4.01  ·  Rating Details  ·  11,382 Ratings  ·  523 Reviews
In his seventh Myron Bolitar thriller, Edgar Award winner Harlan Coben brings us his most astonishing—and deeply personal—novel yet. And it all begins when Myron’s ex tells him he’s a father . . . of a dying thirteen-year-old boy.

A surprise visit from an ex-girlfriend is unsettling enough. But Emily Downing’s news brings Myron to his knees. Her son Jeremy is dying and need
Published March 15th 2001 by Dell (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Darkest Fear, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Darkest Fear

Phrynne
Jan 05, 2016 Phrynne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I do love a series which has consistent quality and this is one. Myron, Win and Esperanza keep giving, especially of their wit and sheer entertainment value. As well as the fun though this book includes a well developed mystery and I have to admit I did not guess the murderer until very late in the piece. As usual Myron has to work through various emotional issues and also as usual Win fails to acknowledge that emotion even exists. Lovely. I read it in one sitting.
Cathy DuPont
Mar 26, 2015 Cathy DuPont rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my very first, I'm quite sure, Harlan Coben. So how did I miss him? My GR friends read him ages ago but not me until now. I'm sure I was involved in something quite important when he was the "hot new writer."

To get the most out of Coben, I think his books should be read rather than listened to while driving. Don't want to sound preachy here but drivers need to concentrate on driving...I can't give my total attention to listening to a CD and drive carefully at the same time. To top it o
Richard
Dec 14, 2013 Richard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller, crime
7.5/10

Another solid entry into the Myron Bolitar series. You sort of know what you're getting with these books by this stage. Witty dialogue with some sort of mystery that needs to be solved by Myron and his sidekick, Win, and some female person who Myron falls for.

Whilst never excelling it is steady along and has a few good ideas with a relatively interesting if a little unbelievable plot. Myron gets some news regarding the paternity of a child from a former lover and quickly does the maths an
Eric_W
May 24, 2016 Eric_W rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Myron Bolitar is one of my favorite characters. The series has a fine sense of humor laced with a good mystery. The beginning starts off well with Myron trying to be nice to his mother, a lawyer who never, ever cooks, but who has just turned out a pastry that Myron thinks tastes just like urinal cakes.

In this novel, Coben mixes the serious with levity. He is contacted by an ex-girlfriend who had ultimately married his arch rival on the basketball court and whom he blames for his career-destroyin
Ayla
Mar 31, 2016 Ayla rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dit boek leest als een trein! Het wordt pas op het einde écht heel spannend, maar het is niet zo dat de rest van het boek saai is. Het hoofdpersonage Myron vond ik niet altijd zo grappig, en soms dacht ik 'hm misschien is dit een beetje vergezocht', maar ik vond het zoo spannend, dat het toch 4 sterren waard is voor mij!
Chris
Jul 02, 2015 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-suspense
My unbiased opinion of the books was I liked it. The characters were well developed. We all watch movies and at one time or another went to concerts and how we pick what we see is who they are. I liked this book for the story it told but also for the Myron's friend Win. Even though he played a small part it was pivotal in it. We have lawyers, journalists, mega rich people and the FBI to contend. Mr. Coben weaved a story that had you guessing to the very end can't wait to read his next book.
Bruce Snell
Jul 08, 2012 Bruce Snell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book number 7 in the Myron Bolitar series by Harlan Coben. Myron is visited by a former college sweetheart, his first real love, Emily Downing. She tells Myron her son is dying from a rare disease that can only be treated with a bone marrow transfusion, but that the only known donor has disappeared. She wants Myron to find him but due to the way their relationship ended Myron declines. Emily then claims that her child was fathered by Myron in an ill advised fling the night before her wedding. My ...more
Sheila
Jan 09, 2016 Sheila rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Myron is hired by his college girlfriend to hunt down an elusive bone marrow match for her dying son Jeremy.

Lots of twists and turns
Kurt Young
Picked this up off the shelf at work. Two day read for me, with a decent plot, and a cast of funky characters. First Coben book I've read. He's so bad that it actually became fun reading. The first paragraph, I'm sure, was actually written as an entry into the Bulwer-Lyton bad writing contest. As a bonus, Coben drops into a 2nd person voice, addressing the reader as an author. He's clearly a fan of Douglas Adams, but lacks his wit.

Not impossible to follow as a standalone novel, but probably one
Barbara ★
This book is a cross between a private investigator and the movie Jerry Maguire (involving a sports agent). A really slow start with chapters that don't appear to flow together. Seems kinda disjointed until around page 140 when it picks up and start making sense.

Myron Bolitar is an ex-basketball star who gets injured and becomes a sports agent. In the slow times, he has been tapped by friends to investigate crimes and such is what happens here. Myron's high school sweetheart calls out of the blu
Harry
Jul 04, 2012 Harry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beginning to exhaust my hunt for the loner, the hunter as a singular and main hero...a new trend seems to be emerging, the disassociation of the hunter and conscientious hero into two separate characters: the main character and his loner side-kick. Several authors embrace this genre motif: Robert Crais's Elvis Cole and his side-kick Joe Pike and of course Harlan Coben's Mylor Bolitar and his elitist side-kick Win.

Of this genre, Coben is probably the most adept at creating complex and winning cha
Louise
Apr 10, 2009 Louise rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Don't ya just love it when you find a "new" author? Harlan Coben is FANTASTIC. This novel, 'Darkest Fear' is his 8th in his "Myron Bolitar" series. I intend to back-track and pick up the others I haven't yet read.

From back cover:

"Edgar Award-winner Harlan Coben brings us his most astonishing-and deeply personal-novel yet. And it all begins when Myron Bolitar's ex tells him he's a father...of a dying thirteen-year-old boy.

Myron never saw it coming. A surprise visit from an ex-girlfriend is unsett
Hoàng Nguyễn
4 sao rưỡi nhé :3 Cơ mà đọc quyển này mình mới chợt nhận ra đúng là truyện được viết vào cuối thế kỉ 20: không có Google, không có MySpace, không có Facebook, không có Twitter, không có 9/11, không có Trung Đông; mọi người vẫn còn dùng Win 98 và viết blog thay vì Windows 10.1 và đăng tweet, không ai nhắc đến khủng bố mà chỉ nhắc đến những diễn viên phim trắng đen nổi tiếng những năm 50 60. Qua Promise Me là cái sự chênh lệch về thời gian đập thẳng vào mặt _(;3JZ)_
Kevin Bresnahan
Jul 27, 2011 Kevin Bresnahan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another home run by Coben, the Myron Bolitar series is right up with my favorites like Dirk Pitt and Spenser. In Darkest Fear, Myron is asked to find a bone marrow donor for his exes son. The same ex who married Myron's rival in college. What seems like an easy request is anything but. Myron is swept into a complex intrigue, a family who does anything to keep their secrets private, a disgruntled journalist trying to recover his mojo, and the uneasiness of working with others he doesn't trust. Th ...more
Rob Williams
Aug 01, 2015 Rob Williams rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thrillers, murder
Probably my favourite of Coben's Myron Bolitar books. An excellent thriller with all his trademark twists.
Michelle
Aug 23, 2013 Michelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Myron Bolitar. Whenever I pick up another in the series, I am reminded about how much I enjoy the characters in this series. I had heard so-so things about this book. It seems like this one had lower ratings than some of the others in the series. I enjoyed this one. I didn't really care for some of the outside characters, however they were necessary for the story. Kind of strange throwing a son in there, but I suppose in some messed up way it makes sense and ties in.

Good story. Fast-paced
Rose Cimarron
I like Myron and Win. I read the books out of sequence, as I find them, which I find makes things more interesting, putting the threads together.

This filled in the Myron-Jeremy link that I'd come across in later books. There was less Win in this book, a shame as I like Win (he wouldn't like me!).

The plotting was classic Coben, with a couple of extra twists and unanswered questions that hung about like bad smells until inspiration struck Myron. Coben captured the savoir faire of today's teenagers
Diane Coto
May 02, 2014 Diane Coto rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
From FictionZeal.com:
A thirteen year old boy will die without a bone marrow transplant. The good news is there is an exact match to a donor in the system. The bad news? The donor is missing.

In a recent episode of this series, Myron’s father had a heart-attack, increasing Myron’s awareness of love; family; closeness; and possibly mortality. His old girlfriend (pre-Jessica) has returned; her name is Emily. She married Greg Downing, the man who deliberately destroyed Myron’s pro basketball career (
Paula
Feb 08, 2014 Paula rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I recently read "Six Years" by HC and disliked it so much, I wanted to cleanse my palate w. a good old Myron Bolitar novel. The thing is, I have a really hard time remembering which ones I've read and which ones I haven't. It's like the Janet Evanovich novels. They start with a hook, follow a formula, favorite characters pop up as needed, and ahh, it all resolves tidily in the end.
Because it was the cheapest selection for Kindle on that particular day, and the missing son who might be Myron's d
Ms. Risch
Jun 04, 2012 Ms. Risch rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I've discovered that these types of popcorn mystery reads usually chug along with entertaining yet completely unbelievable plots until they suddenly hit a brick wall. This book appears to be the brick wall in this particular series: a babydaddy sideline story reminiscent of something one might see on The Young & The Restless, a ripped-from-the-headlines plot I'd expect from a Law & Order rerun on TNT, and absolutely horrible dialogue between Myron and his latest (very annoying) love inte ...more
Gayle
Jun 17, 2015 Gayle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my second Myron Bolitar story, and I loved it.

First, Myron finds out his parents are selling their house. The house he grew up in and lived in the basement of up until recently. Than, Myron finds out he is a Dad and has to deal with the fact that before he even gets to know his son, he may be dead. The boy has a rare blood disease and needs a bone morrow transplant to survive. The bone morrow bank finds one, but he disappears and the boys mother comes to Myron for help, and than the twi
Jodi
Paul Lyons
Jan 19, 2015 Paul Lyons rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Danielle
So much better than One False Move! Myron is back! While he isn't completely the same man, and i doubt he ever will be, he seems to be more witty, sarcastic and funny. And it is a much better book because of it. Myron's development in the last book was intense but it took away some of the best part of the series, and it returned in Darkest Fear. People were not walking on egg shells around him, his business is slowly regaining it's popularity. Things have improved!

The story was paced well, new c
Strawberry Fields
Well, ok, not my favorite Myron Bolitar book, but still entertaining and the dialogue witty as hell. So definitely worth the read.

This has been the most intensely personal book in the life of Myron as everything from his past comes to slam him in the face from the beginning of the book. He learns he has a son who is dying and is in desperate need of a bone marrow transplant. The donor has mysteriously disappeared, the boy's only hope. Myron is forced to team up with his rival from childhood, Gre
Robin
Jul 20, 2014 Robin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: suspense, 2013
Myron Bolitar's ex-girlfriend, Emily Downing, approaches him with a request. Her son, Jeremy, has a rare disorder and needs a bone marrow transplant or he will die. The donor has disappeared and she needs Myron to track him down. Myron feels bad but doesn't want to get involved, until Emily drops a bombshell: Jeremy is Myron's son. With the help of Win and Esperanza, Myron begins a search which leads him to a missing child, brutal kidnappings, a disgraced reporter, and a possible serial killer.

T
Fiona Ay
Jun 04, 2014 Fiona Ay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Engaging story. Took me only two days to finish (unusual because I'm a lazy reader--yes I love saying that over and over again). I picked this book because I wanted to know whether Jeremy is Myron's son. Things like this intrigue me, even in real life. Win is such a likeable kind of friend that everyone would kill to have. His analogies were interestingly funny. Or funnily interesting. I love how Coben naturally throws in all the humour, like this one:

Susan Lex arched an eyebrow. The rich are r

Kristin
Read as an audiobook. This one left me scratching my head more than anything, after all was said and read. It came across as jumbled, with too many competing plots and implausible scenario's. The plots felt rushed, glossed over and overly complicated.

So, I'll try and elaborate with out too many spoilers - my main contention throughout the book was the journalist's - Sam Gibb's - culpability. He knew who the "Sow the Seeds" killer was. Had always known. Would he not be an accessory to murder on
Virginia Markhart
Barely able to give this book a three rating. I have read several books by this author. This one was just too "out there" for me.

I listened tot he audio version of this book. It was tough to follow. Might have been better to have the actual book in my hand so I could go back and figure out who or what was being discussed. it was frustrating.

I did like the storyline. Teenage boy who needs a bone marrow transplant and the only donor has gone missing. The man seeking the donor is the boys' biologi
Sbeam
Aug 05, 2011 Sbeam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pfl
Yes, I have been on a tear reading Harlan Coben's Myron Bolitar series. Trying to read in order but that can be hard when you're cheap and want to use the Philadephia Free Library. A few more to go and thank God for PFL.
2015 Reading Chal...: Darkest Fear by Harlan Coben 2 21 Apr 18, 2015 01:12PM
  • Lone Wolf
  • Redemption Street (Moe Prager, #2)
  • The Glassblower's Daughter
  • Free Fall (Elvis Cole, #4)
  • Angels Flight (Harry Bosch Universe, #6)
  • The Vanished Man (Lincoln Rhyme, #5)
  • The Ultimate Rush
  • Running from the Law
  • Mind Scrambler (John Ceepak Mystery, #5)
  • A Cold Heart (Alex Delaware, #17)
  • Death from the Woods
  • Silent Prey (Lucas Davenport #4)
  • Bury the Lead (Andy Carpenter #3)
With over 60 million books in print worldwide, Harlan Coben’s last seven consecutive novels, MISSING YOU, SIX YEARS, STAY CLOSE, LIVE WIRE, CAUGHT, LONG LOST and HOLD TIGHT all debuted at #1 on the New York Times bestseller list and lists around the world. His books are published in 43 languages around the globe.

Coben is the winner of the Edgar Award, Shamus Award and Anthony Award – the first aut
More about Harlan Coben...

Myron Bolitar (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Deal Breaker (Myron Bolitar, #1)
  • Drop Shot (Myron Bolitar, #2)
  • Fade Away (Myron Bolitar, #3)
  • Back Spin (Myron Bolitar, #4)
  • One False Move (Myron Bolitar, #5)
  • The Final Detail (Myron Bolitar, #6)
  • Promise Me (Myron Bolitar, #8)
  • Long Lost (Myron Bolitar, #9)
  • Live Wire (Myron Bolitar, #10)
  • Home (Myron Bolitar, #11)

“An hour before his world exploded like a ripe tomato under a stiletto heel, Myron bit into a fresh pastry that tasted suspiciously like urinal cake.” 9 likes
“No, in the Bolitar household, the kitchen was more a gathering place - a Family Room Lite, if you will - than anything related to even the basest of the culinary arts. The round table held magazines and catalogs and congealing white boxes of Chinese takeout. The stove top saw less action than a Merchant-Ivory production. The oven was a prop, strictly for show, like a politician's Bible.” 1 likes