Start by marking “The Other Side” as Want to Read:
The Other Side

The Other Side

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  175 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Dr. Ray Carmichael is a wealthy African-American doctor and political activist running for office on the platform that the brutality and corruption of the local police force is out of control. Nick Sorenson is a white cop who grew up poor and almost lost his life in gangs and crime before turning his life around by joining the police force.

When Ray’s brother is beaten by
ebook
Published February 7th 2009 by Amber Quill

To ask other readers questions about The Other Side, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Other Side

Cut & Run by Abigail RouxSticks & Stones by Abigail RouxFish & Chips by Abigail RouxFaith & Fidelity by Tere MichaelsDivide & Conquer by Abigail Roux
Best Gay Cops/ Security Guards/P.I.'s
195th out of 584 books — 907 voters
A Matter of Time by Mary CalmesTigers and Devils by Sean KennedyCop Out by K.C. BurnA Matter of Time by Mary CalmesBareback by Chris Owen
Best Gay Breakups With A HEA
26th out of 34 books — 36 voters

More lists with this book...

Nancy
I read The Other Side in one sitting and was blown away by the intensity and emotional depth of this story. Dr. Ray Carmichael is a wealthy African-American doctor who is running for political office and has little use for the police department. Nick Sorenson is in charge of the investigation of police misconduct involving the beating of Ray’s brother. In spite of the obvious differences between the men and the conflicts that stem from their value differences, there is no denying the physical at ...more
Daisiemae
Feb 08, 2009 Daisiemae rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: M/M erotic romance readers who love an emotionally charged storyline
Recommended to Daisiemae by: She is one of my favorite authors
Okay, so I am officially addicted to Shawn Lane's work. I always wait patiently (not) for her newest release, knowing that I am about to read a story that is always emotionally charged with characters that jump off of the pages and into my imagination so vividly, that I can't stop reading until the last page. Of course, then I become upset with myself because I didn't take my time with it, so now I have to wait AGAIN until the next book is out. I just can't win...lol

Dr. Ray Carmichael is on a mi
Sandy
Feb 07, 2009 Sandy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Shawn Lane Fans, M/M Romance Fans
Recommended to Sandy by: I love the author
Shelves: keepers
Yes, I read this right away!

Well, I loved it. What great guys both Ray and Nick were. I loved them both and could totally relate to their differences and how they struggled to deal with them.

Really the blurb describes the plot nicely. The sex was hot, the guys were guys and not CWD. They were both men, but they happened to be gay, but definitely not feminine. Not too light, but not too heavy on the angst either. Perfect! I would love to read more about these guys.

The only real problem is now I h
Gabbi
Feb 10, 2009 Gabbi rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Gabbi by: Sandy, Daisiemae
I was surprised by the emotional turmoil both characters seem to go through in this book. It was not a light read for me. That's actually what I liked about it. I liked that they both had issues (many) to work through to be together. Ray was a difficult character to like at times. His negativity about everything law enforcement made me want to shake him at times, but I liked how his character came around. I adored Nick. No wonder Ray was so crazy about him! I loved this book. I hated for it to e ...more
Lindsay
Feb 08, 2009 Lindsay rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Male erotic romance readers
Recommended to Lindsay by: my goodreads friends
I agree with everything that has been said about this book. The opposite attracts storyline is one of my favorite themes to read. I thought that both Ray and Nick were both very well written characters. I understood where both men were coming from and why they felt they way they did about things. It was nice to see them find a common ground and be together. It was great!
Brenda (b)
I enjoyed this story. I liked seeing such different people come together. I would have liked to see more of a future look into their relationship though.
Ava
Loved the book! Nick and Ray were so different yet had such amazing chemistry. How could you not love them? :)
Erotic Horizon
Characters

Ray Carmichael, wealthy African American doctor and political activist and very much a family man. Proud and not ashamed of what he has or who he wants.

Nick Sorenson, Internal Affairs cop, laid back sort of guy who knows what is important and what to get worked up about and when to go with the flow.

The Plot

After a police incident, which has left Ray’s brother beaten, he finds himself getting the run around from the police. He decides to take matters into his own hands and get first ha
FloJ
once again, the story starts well, we arrive at a crisis point in the relationship but miraculously they sort out their problems in about two pages and maybe they have an HEA but there are still unresolved plot lines.

Did Nick get his job back? if not what did he do instead?
What happened to Nick's family?
What happened about the case against the police who beat Devon?
Did Ray get elected? What was his platform?
Did Ray's family come round?

A myriad of opportunities for a real literary effort here.

mah1
Sep 06, 2014 mah1 rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
For a while now Shawn Lane has been one of my go-to authors and as long as I check the plots (no reunions or years of pining for me), I'm pretty much always entertained.

The Other Side had an interesting flaw, in my opinion, as it had one of the most annoyin MCs I've ever encountered. For the life of me I could not grow to like Ray, I thought him conceited and he never adequately apologized to Nick for his always talking shit about cops.

Plotwise this was one of the strongest books from Shawn La
Nicci
The Other Side is an emotionally intense and hot story of two men who bring baggage with them on their first date. Nick Sorenson is a police officer working for Internal Affairs. Ray Carmichael is a neurosurgeon who intensely dislikes the police department. They ignore the differences in values and backgrounds to satisfy physical needs.

I adore Nick. I liked how he doesn’t allow his less than perfect upbringing influences him from achieving something positive for himself. I love his support for
ElaineY
Dec 15, 2010 ElaineY rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: mm
Feliz
Ray is an african american doctor, upper middle class and a politician with an anti-racism activist program in his mid-thirties. Nick is a lower class white Internal Affairs police detective. They meet when Nick is investigating a case of police brutality against Ray'syounger brother, Devon. Ray is immediately attracted to the scruffy cop. After having Nick removed from the case, Ray asks him out. Both men fit together remarkably well when it comes to sex, but aside from that, they seem to have ...more
Lexi
The only reason this isn't a 4 is because if felt a bit rushed. Definitely could have been much longer and I would have loved it to be. There's so much that was left unanswered.
Shelby P
Oct 03, 2013 Shelby P rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Shelby P by: Lisa J.
I really liked this book but it was too short. I wanted more from Nick and Ray's relationship. I love that the guys went on dates and didn't have sex on the first date, how nice. There were some lose threads like what ever happened to Devon's case? I also wanted to learn more about Nick's mom. Would definitely like to read another book about this couple.
Nicole
2.5 stars. I didn't really feel like there was any resolution in this book. And to be honest, most of the time I found Ray to be arrogant and a bit stuck up. I hope there's another book that tells the rest of the story.
Mitabird (reviews on BookLikes)
This was OK, but I didn't think there was a real connection between Nick and Ray. I thought things happened a little too quickly. I also felt there were too many unresolved issues.
Gigi
Read awhile ago, but remember liking the tension the fight at the end caused. Will have to re-read for a more detailed review.

I'm on a fight-then-makeup kick right now. ;)
Hearts On Fire Reviews
Reviewed by: Nancy
Genre: M/M Contemporary
Rated: 4 hearts

Check out the review at: Hearts On Fire Reviews
melek
opposite attracts and nothing in common can they over come that and other issues to make this relationship work.
Kathryn
Kathryn marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2015
Candice
Candice marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2015
Mrs. Reader
Mrs. Reader marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2014
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Letting In the Light
  • Second Sight
  • In Bear Country
  • Got Mistletoe?
  • Alternative Treatment
  • Love, Jamie (Love, #1)
  • Object of His Desire (Somerville Park, #1)
  • The Carpenter and the Fairy
  • Off the Beaten Path
  • Hunger (Chicken Ranch, #1)
  • True Colors (True Colors, #1)
  • A Gentleman of Substance
  • The Slayer's Apprentice
  • Roughstock: And a Smile- Season One (Roughstock, #3)
  • Wicked Game
  • Easy
  • Hot Weather
  • The Elegant Corpse
Shawn Lane writes gay erotic romances. She is published with Amber Quill, Silver Publishing, Ellora's Cave and Dreamspinner Press. She lives in Southern California and the majority of her books are set in California.
More about Shawn Lane...
Car Wash (Car Wash, #1) At Long Last (Scott and Preston, #1) Perfect Man Trust Pulling Away (Pulling Away, #1)