Start by marking “Fractal Mode (Mode, #2)” as Want to Read:
Fractal Mode

Piers Anthony

Fractal Mode (Mode #2)

3.61  ·  Rating Details  ·  3,149 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
Saved from death at the hands of the Emperor Ddwng, would-be lovers Colene and Darius and their companions - Provos, a woman who remembers only the future, and Sequiro, a telepathic horse - stumble into yet another dangerous reality where despots rule with a cruel and heavy hand. Held captive, the friends must combine their unusual talents in a daring escape that leads the ...more
Audio
Published February 1st 1992 by Bookcassette (first published January 9th 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Fractal Mode, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fractal Mode

Anna
Jan 20, 2013 Anna rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I read the first one waaaaay back and then got out of the Piers Anthony 'thing'. Picked this up used when I saw it, read three chapters and flung it away, might use it as bird cage liner, if I had a bird. Anthony writes sex, bad sex, boring sex meant to represent first teenage attempts at passion but with no depth. His words are sawdust. I've read a few others by him and I'm disappointed in my teenage self for loving them so much.Anthony is a pervert,a really boring one. There I said it. ugh.
Kaylynn Johnsen
As ever the science is exciting, even though it is math based. But, the girl and her earth life just leave me sad.
Jemma
Sep 16, 2011 Jemma rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011, own-a-copy
I read 'Fractal Mode', the second of the 'Mode' series by Anthony, because I really enjoyed the first. However, this second book was far less stimulating, plot-wise, and was very repetitive. The author spent a great deal of time recounting every specific important thing about every character that we learned in the first book. Understandable, as some books do this to remind you of the previous book in case it has been a while since you read it. Unfortunately, Anthony then went on to repeat these ...more
Johnny
Expanding on the story of Colene, the suicidal teen from Earth, who falls in love with Darius, the Cyng of Hlahtar from another reality, and accompanies Seqiro, the telepathic horse from yet another reality, along with Provos, the woman from a reality where people only “remember” the future as opposed to the past, Fractal Mode is a work of “imaginative fiction” that is far more worthy of note than the attention it has garnered thus far. At first, I had thought that I was ignorant of the series b ...more
Brendan
May 25, 2011 Brendan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book significantly better than the first one in the series. The characters and their relationships are more developed, and more time is spent on some of the interesting mathematical and theoretical elements.

(view spoiler)
Jessa Costelo
Piers Anthony has always been by favorite writer ever since. The way he presented his science fiction writings, really gives me the compass-like mind. Pointing to where he is heading the story, mostly in different angles and dimensions all the time. The book is good in mixing the 'fairytale-like' love story and mind stirring fictional scientific facts. Nona, the ninth of the ninth child... Colene, the suicidal 14-year old girl... Both in love with Darius, their magical prince charming. Sequiro i ...more
Robyn
Read in 1992 when it was new.

Nothing in particular to add to my review of Virtual Mode, the first book in the series. No star reviews for these because I read them so long ago, and my opinion is so divided that it would be nearly impossible anyway.
Richard
Jan 23, 2016 Richard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would never have picked fantasy on my own, and I haven't read any fantasy since my aunt gave me Fractal Mode and Virtual Mode, but I liked the stories. I especially liked the main girl in the book, she was a kind of fantasy too. ;)
John
Dec 24, 2011 John rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
As a reader who greatly prefers Anthony's sci-fi over his fantasy work, I found this a disappointment. Typically his novels will mix elements of both, but some lean more in one direction than the other, and this one leans almost entirely toward fantasy. (This despite its intriguing title, which was what inspired me to pick up my copy -- cheap and on a whim -- at a used book store.) Not my cup of tea, although those who prefer Anthony's fantasy novels may, understandably, feel differently. On the ...more
Mike
May 05, 2013 Mike rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another fairly good but dated story. While on the Virtual Mode the characters end up in a universe based on fractals. I enjoy fantasy, but I found myself saying, come on, that is NOT the way that would happen. If you can get passed the dated computer stuff and the unrealistic characters, it's an okay story.
Aven
Feb 10, 2012 Aven rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, own-it
An intriguing premise, but too complex for me to really visualise (the fractal universe) and so it felt like too much of the time was spent explaining it. This is also the middle of a trilogy, and I haven't read the first or last books; that might help. But not one of my favourite's of his.
Michael Riversong
Sep 22, 2009 Michael Riversong rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It took a while to visualize the nature of this alternate reality, where everything is arrayed in fractal patterns along connecting filaments. it's quite a concept, which along with a telepathic horse and lots of magic can certainly serve to expand one's mind.
April
May 07, 2008 April rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was one of the first real science fiction books that I ever read. One of the main characters is a girl who has a pretty screwed up sense of self (she's a cutter) who travels through parallel dimensions and meets friends along the way.
Shan Winslow
Pretty decent follow-up to the first book in the series. Some parts were a bit hard to understand and went far over my head, but overall I still enjoyed the story and want to see where the journey takes these characters.
Garryg
Jun 01, 2011 Garryg rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In my view the best of the 'MODE' books, and the first one I read.
It was engaging enough to make me want to read all the others.
Twyla
Apr 04, 2013 Twyla rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2013
Not as good as I thought it was the first tume I read it umpteen years ago. Oh well, still an engaging thoughtful read.
Pandanator
Jul 13, 2007 Pandanator rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: not-true
piers anthony is a great storyteller. very strange, somewhat off his rocker... but a great storyteller.
Theresa
Jul 27, 2011 Theresa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review
an interesting series stating the possibilities of life in other universes being affected by ours
Sam Johnsson
The sequel did not follow as well as the original - the plot was fine, but the pacing felt off.
Shireen
I liked it back then but probably not so much now.
Weslie
Dec 05, 2008 Julie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fantasy fans, Piers Anthony fans
Recommended to Julie by: read other Anthony books
Shelves: fantasy, from-library
A very interesting book, as I recall.
Shawn
May 25, 2012 Shawn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Young adult 10-15
Dana
Sep 25, 2007 Dana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
good one
Nghi Luu
Nghi Luu marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2016
Tanya
Tanya added it
Jun 29, 2016
Vern W
Vern W rated it really liked it
Jun 28, 2016
unknown
unknown marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2016
Christian
Christian marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2016
Rhiannon
Rhiannon marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2016
  • Encyclopedia of Xanth (A Crossroads Adventure in the World of Piers Anthony's Xanth)
  • Acorna's Quest (Acorna #2)
  • Demons of the Dancing Gods (Dancing Gods, #2)
  • The Samurai Wizard (Wizard, #5)
  • Sword and Sorceress XV
  • The Tekhen of Anuket (80AD, #3)
  • The Mask of Loki
  • Return to Centaur (Xanth Graphic Novel, Vol 1)
  • Dark Magic (The Godwars, #2)
  • The Andre Norton Megapack

Piers is a self-proclaimed environm
More about Piers Anthony...

Mode (4 books)
  • Virtual Mode (Mode, #1)
  • Chaos Mode (Mode, #3)