Start by marking “Duck and Cover” as Want to Read:
Duck and Cover

Duck and Cover

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  207 ratings  ·  46 reviews
When Harold, a large green alligator with a big mouth and an even bigger appetite, shows up at Irene's door seeking shelter, everyone hides. Except Max. Max persuades the other critters that this particular runaway needs their help. So while everyone keeps busy seeing that Harold remains well fed, Max cooks up a clever plan. But is a room filled with fake alligators enough...more
Published January 27th 2009 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about Duck and Cover, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Duck and Cover

Zequoia Hyche
I really enjoyed reading the book Duck and Cover and how it focuses on the actually hiding an alligator lol. I read this book today to my students and they really enjoyed it, because I asked them questions about where we could hide an alligator if we were to put him in the classroom. And they responded thoughtfully. Not only that, but this book can teach children about using their imagination, because these types of situations do not happen in real life. Also, this book speaks to the topic of th...more
Mackenzie
it was a very good book
April
1. Rating: 4
2. A book review from Children's Literature says, "Max the duck, hero of Duck at the Door and Duck Soup, is at Irene's house playing with his animal friends when Harold, a large alligator, arrives. He begs them to hide him from the zoo detectives, since he has mistakenly eaten someone's dog. Although the other animals fear his appetite, Max remembers when he needed help and asks Irene and the others to hide Harold. And so begins a series of absurd and unworkable suggestions, until th...more
Shel
Urbanovic, J. (2009). Duck and Cover. New York: HarperCollins Publishers.

Peoples of the Earths, I present to you my first review of a book published in 2009. Yay! Just as I had suspected, it is the future!

Duck and Cover is a part of a larger series featuring Max the duck, who, among other anthropomorphized animals, was adopted by a human adult named Irene. This story features a new animal seeking shelter with Max and Irene. An alligator named Harold has escaped from the zoo after be...more
Cassie
I've decided that it doesn't matter what I think - it only matters if kids will read a book, and let me just say, that they loved Max the duck. I chuckled; the kids laughed out loud. Max's adventures begin with Duck at the Door. Instead of flying south one Winter, he wants to see if he'll love it as much as he does Spring. All of his feathered friends leave him behind and he is left in a winter blizzard. Max is accepted into Irene's house of many pets and settles right in, much to the dismay of...more
Meg McGregor
A very fun story featuring Max, the duck that was rescued, and how he tries to help, Harold, an escaped alligator from the local zoo.

His plan at the end is downright ingenious!
Amy
The kids liked this book. They laughed in the right spots, etc. It was a little hard to read out-loud, though. The characters in the story often contribute little one-liners in the form of bubble-clouds over their heads, and that's kind of hard to convey in an out-loud situation!

My nephew liked the book, and stayed relatively engaged, although not as engaged as I thought he'd be. Eh. It's not a book he's likely to request again. My niece was able to read this one to herself, and I think she got...more
Ami
I enjoyed the other "Duck" books a little more, but this is still a fun book.
Melissa
Genre: Fantasy

Review: From Barnes & Noble
When Harold the alligator runs away from the zoo after being wrongfully accused of eating a dog, Max the Duck comes to his rescue. He convinces Brody, Dakota, Bebe, and the rest of the menagerie to hide their toothy friend, regardless of their worries about Harold's bottomless appetite. So much fun you'll quack with laughter.

Recommendation: 3-5 Years

Notes: Talks about acceptance of others in a way students can relate to and understand
Harold the Alligator is on the lam from the zoo as they think he ate someone's pet. Max the Duck talks Irene and the other animals into hiding Harold from the zoo detective. It's a cute story with nice artwork but it just didn't hit home for me or my 8 year old. I'm not quite sure about what it teaches about hiding someone in trouble and having an adult involved in that process. Maybe I am overthinking it though and younger children wouldn't get that from the story.
Elizabeth S
A very useful book if you want some ideas about how to hide something big and green. Another title for this book might be "101 Ways to Hide an Alligator". Of course some are more effective than others, and one in particular is extremely out-of-the-box clever. This book has the charm and character of the others in the series. Despite being a series of short picture books, all the characters somehow have depth as if we really knew them.
Breanna
I have not read the other Max the Duck books (Duck at the Door and Duck Soup), but after this one, they are definitely on my list! The story is clever and the pictures are engaging. In a classroom, I think this story would be great to teach character development. Between the frightened but helpful cats, the sweet but hungry alligator, and the brave and empathetic duck, we get a great sense of personality in a short and simple tale.
Rebecca
Apr 02, 2009 Rebecca rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: K and up
I seem to be reading all of Molly's favorites. :) I haven't read any of the other Duck books from this author, but this one was pretty funny. Anytime a whole household full of pets tries to physically hide a runaway alligator, all the while trying to keep him fed so they won't become lunch themselves, you've got a funny story. Especially liked the body language of the scared-but-helpful cats.
Jan
Another Max the Duck story. When Harold the crocodile knocks and calls for help at Irene's door, Max and his friends must figure out how to hide Harold while keeping themselves safe from Harold's big teeth. The concealment includes lying to the zoo representative who is looking for Harold. Cute pictures, as always. Not as entertaining a story as some others in the series. Ages 3-7.
Kristen
Hmmm, not sure how I feel about this story. The art is fantastic. And I like the idea of the story. But there are odd, extraneous details that slow down the story and don't need to be there. The kids liked some of it (the alligator dressing as a lamp was a nice touch), and the ending was cute, but I felt like it dragged a little and just didn't quite work.
Ellen
The illustrations are cute but I think there are too many great picture books available that I do not have to read one to my toddler about an animal scared of being eaten by another animal and about lying and hiding the truth to protect your friend from the authorities.
Erin
This is a cute story about an escape alligator accused of eating someone's pet at the zoo -- he has an interesting adventure with a woman and her menagerie - they hide him and worry he will eat them. Funny, and sweet with expressive illustrations - and a nice ending.
Heidi
Very, very cute. I loved the story, pictures, humor--everything. A great lap-read (especially if my sister were reading it). Possible for a storytime, but I'd have to see if I could fit in all of the things the animals are saying on each page.
Nicole
It shows that people can help each other from danger. Funny because how a duck is doing the impossible to hide an alligator in their house, from the detective. they thought that the alligator ate a dog which in reality was a hot dog.
The kids like this, but the ending doesn't resolve things clearly enough for me. Also, I'm slightly offended by my family's insinuation that the sweat-pant wearing, slightly frumpy human protagonist resembles me.
Earl
Quick Review: Not even the illustrations could save this book from a one-star rating. Even though I'm not the target demographic, I still appreciate humor in children's picture books- in which this was very short on.
Molly
I like any story that makes me laugh. I enjoyed duck soup but this was great. I loved that they hid the alligator even though they were a little scared. Funny and a great read aloud. Ages 3+
Danielle
Strange book with a strange message. Trusting dangerous strangers, lying to authorities and aiding and abetting fugitives are the main plot points in this children's book.
Lynn
This was a cute story of how Irene and her animal family help an alligator. The story was very lively and the pictures were very vibrant. I highly recommend this book.
Jenna
Easy and entertaining read on helping others. My class of 5 year olds enjoyed the escalating anticipation. I would recommend this for primary levels.
Pam
One of the Max the Duck books. In this one, Max, Irene and the others help hide an alligator from the zookeeper. Very cute. Ages 4-7.
Jenna
Another silly book in this duck series. Great illustrations for kids and definitely will get a giggle from kids.
Kymberly
Cute cute story of the unlikely animals become friends when Max remembers what it is like to be lonely. Cute pictures.
Cindy
Apr 23, 2013 Cindy added it
Shelves: ece-3601
Great for onomonopia! Teaches a strong moral lesson about friendship. The vocabulary and grammar format is moderate.
Kim
The animals help hide a runaway alligator.

themes: alligators, animals, friendship, helping, trust
  • Little Oink
  • Small Saul
  • Sylvie
  • The Gingerbread Man Loose in the School
  • The Plot Chickens
  • Never Take a Shark to the Dentist: (and Other Things Not to Do)
  • Scaredy-Cat, Splat!
  • No T. Rex in the Library
Duck at the Door Duck Soup Sitting Duck Happy Go Ducky Do Your Ears Hang Low?