Start by marking “Paris: Made by Hand: 50 Shops Where Decorators and Stylists Source the Chic & Unique” as Want to Read:

There’s a new trend among the young designers and decorators of Paris: an embracing of an aesthetic called fait main. Literally, this means “made by hand,” but in this case it includes not only new items fashioned by hand but vintage objects and found objects that are valued as they are, or that may have been reworked. What unites them is the “handprint” of a talented crea ...more
Published April 28th 2009 by Little Bookroom

To ask other readers questions about Paris, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Paris

Linda
Sep 03, 2009 Linda rated it liked it
Shelves: armchair-travel
If you haven't yet discovered Pia Jane Bijkerk's blog spot, youre in for a treat: http://blog.piajanebijkerk.com/
liberal sprinkles
I lived in Paris 10 years ago and still visit every 2 or 3 years. I would definitely take this book with me the next time I visit. The size is just perfect to carry around and there are a lot of interesting shops featured that are new to me.

Pia Jane Bijkerk is a well-known blogger-photographer-stylist. Her work as a stylist certainly put her in good stead to find cool off the beaten track shops selling interesting artisan, handmade, vintage and unique ware. Unfortunately, a lot of them are expen
Meikoningin
Oct 18, 2011 Meikoningin rated it did not like it
This is a book for all lovers of design and decorating, but beware, it might not be your cup of tea. I found it to be a disappointing read, although the photographs are beautiful. The size of the tiny booklet was disappointing too.
From the editors : There is a new trend among the young designers and decorators of Paris called fait main, which means "made by hand". In this case it includes not only new items fashioned by hand but vintage objects and found objects that are valued as they are, or t
S
Apr 21, 2010 S rated it really liked it
If you love hand made stuff - everything from chandeliers to fabric items - you'll love looking at the beautifully photographed Paris workshops in this book. The writing is good enough too, but I'll be picking it up again and again for the pictures. Wonderfully done. It's the next best thing to being there, well, at least for now.
Colleen
Sep 07, 2010 Colleen rated it liked it
Although it was an interesting book, it really can't be fully appreciated unless you're in Paris. Definitely a great book to flip through for visiting the off-the-beaten-path Paris. Someday I'll pick it up again! Beautiful photography.
Tara
Aug 17, 2009 Tara rated it it was amazing
A beautifully illustrated small guide to chic shops and studios in Paris where things—from umbrellas to shoes to jewelry—are handmade. "Paris may very well be one of the last remaining international cities that strives to protect and nurture her artisans," writes the author in her introduction.
Felicity
Jul 27, 2013 Felicity rated it really liked it
If I ever get to go to Paris, I will be taking this book with me. It's full of ideas and information on where to find hidden gems....the shops, workshops and studios, scattered all over Paris, the type of places only the locals would know about.
Mari
Feb 19, 2012 Mari rated it really liked it
Super great little book about obscure beautiful shops in Paris. If I ever go, this is one of the books I'd take.
Victoria
Victoria rated it liked it
Feb 22, 2012
Amanda
Amanda rated it really liked it
Dec 02, 2011
Vanessa Joie
Vanessa Joie rated it it was amazing
Jun 24, 2013
Maria
Maria rated it liked it
Nov 13, 2010
Nyla
Nyla rated it it was amazing
Jul 08, 2011
Maliblue
Maliblue rated it really liked it
Dec 11, 2012
LogPoes
LogPoes rated it really liked it
Mar 27, 2011
Julia
Julia rated it liked it
Feb 06, 2010
Monica
Monica rated it liked it
May 06, 2012
Catherine Reid
Catherine Reid rated it really liked it
Jun 21, 2014
Mizzo73
Mizzo73 rated it really liked it
Jun 03, 2010
Dana
Dana rated it liked it
Aug 11, 2011
Jill de la Pierce
Jill de la Pierce rated it liked it
Jul 31, 2015
Kate
Kate rated it liked it
Aug 07, 2014
Sharon
Sharon rated it really liked it
Jul 03, 2015
*Hilde*
*Hilde* rated it really liked it
Aug 07, 2016
Carla
May 10, 2011 Carla rated it it was amazing
Shelves: french
one of those hard butterscotch candies you suck on.
Tina
Tina rated it liked it
Feb 24, 2013
Becky
Becky rated it it was amazing
Jan 22, 2015
Rosemary
Rosemary rated it it was amazing
Jan 07, 2011
Carol Patterson
Carol Patterson rated it liked it
Mar 08, 2016