Start by marking “My Mommy Is In America And She Met Buffalo Bill” as Want to Read:
My Mommy Is In America And She Met Buffalo Bill

My Mommy Is In America And She Met Buffalo Bill

Jean, an adorable 5 year-old boy, relates his daily life and little adventures with his sour-tempered teacher Madame Moinot, his busy dad, his nanny Yvette (the Queen of iced chocolate), his little brother Paul (with whom he's always fighting) and his neighbor Michele (whose parents own a kennel). But Jean feels a great emptiness inside and asks Where is my Mommy? With sen ...more
Hardcover, Fanfare, 118 pages
Published January 1st 2010 by Ponent Mon (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about My Mommy Is In America And She Met Buffalo Bill, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Mommy Is In America And She Met Buffalo Bill

Patrick
Jan 24, 2017 Patrick rated it it was amazing
This book falls in to the difficult category of, "Well-executed but I have no idea how to give it a star rating or if I ever want to read it again or recommend it to anyone."

That said, it *was* very well executed. And I suppose that's the heart of the matter.

So... yeah. Five stars if you want a sweet, well-rounded story that distantly circles the fact that the main character....

*Spoilers, by the way*

...is a five year old boy who doesn't realize that his mother isn't on a business trip. That's s
VAle
Nov 04, 2012 VAle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
preso in biblioteca... e poi acquistato!

Faccio sempre fatica a commentare i libri che mi hanno particolarmente colpita. E questo lo ha fatto.
Non solo per la storia, che affronta un tema sempre delicato come la morte, ma soprattutto per lo stile e le scelte narrative.
Il punto di vista è quello di Jean, bambino di prima elementare alle prese con la vita quotidiana e un'assenza che lui e le persone che lo circondano faticano ad affrontare e spiegare.
Ho trovato eccezionale la scelta di sostituire le
Rosie Gonzie
Mar 12, 2015 Rosie Gonzie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
J'ai aimé ! J'ai aimé les déssins. J'ai aimé les couleurs. J'ai aimé le personnage principal, son petit frère, son père, sa gouvernante, sa maîtresse, son copain de classe, sa petite grande voisine, les parents de son copain de classe, ses autres camarades, le psychologue, j'ai aimé tous les personnages (hum, non, sauf les voisins, ils crient trop) ! J'ai aimé comment ils étaient croqués, justes, et touchants. J'ai aimé la manière de découper et de raconter l'histoire. J'ai aimé les émotions : j ...more
Blue
Nov 07, 2015 Blue rated it it was amazing
Brilliant and poignant, My Mommy Is In America and She Met Buffalo Bill is a must read. That said, it is rather sad, though there are no surprises for the adult reader here; it is rather obvious from the get go just what might be amiss in little Jean's life. And *that* said, Jean is still lucky in many ways: he has a fierce little brother who is always up for a good pillow fight, a nanny who loves him and he loves, a friend in school, a friend next door who cares about him, and a father who is a ...more
Jul 30, 2010 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Ok, I'll admit that the five stars probably comes from getting to see the author speak about the book on a panel at Comic Con. But I always love hearing about what the meaning of story is to an author and the ideas of what they want to translate to the audience. I think Bravo does it wonderfully as the artist in this book telling Regnaud's story. I was also captivated by Bravo's talk about how every culture has a code for how you read comics and narratives told in pictures and he sought to trans ...more
Sophie
Feb 26, 2014 Sophie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first book I've ever read in French! Six year-old Jean starts primary school and is asked in class the occupations of his parents. He knows what his father does, but his mother? He's not sure where she is or what she is doing, only that she is on holiday somewhere. Or is she?

Although the story is quite poignant, as an adult reader can quickly guess what has happened to his mother, the story is told so charmingly through the amusing anecdotes and very funny wordless interludes that it stops t
Emilia P
Jun 28, 2015 Emilia P rated it really liked it
Shelves: comic-books
Those French! They love their American Indian garb something fierce. I swear, I checked out three different French comics that involved feather headdresses on the cover. Ridic. That aside, this was a sweet book about a kid trying to understand and navigate a grief for his mother that he has not fully pieced together or processed, and trying to figure out why everyone is treating him with kid gloves...it's sad and sweet, but not too treacly. And also sadly, true.
Wayne
Mar 08, 2010 Wayne rated it liked it
I liked the art quite a bit. The story says and is obviously aimed at 8-13 year olds. It was predictable to me, probably cause I'm old as dirt, but over all I liked it. I had two minor quibbles, it outs Father Christmas, and also skirts over the issue of a major characters passing away, so it might make some little kid freak out a little...
shenmui
Sep 17, 2016 shenmui rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Un libro delicatissimo che colpisce ancora di più se solo si pensa al fatto che sia l'infanzia dell'autore messa a nudo con l'innocenza... di un bambino. Una perla.
Lily-rose Beardshaw
Nov 28, 2016 Lily-rose Beardshaw rated it really liked it
After a slow start, a deceptively simple story builds in confidence as the child's voice in which it is told develops, quietly winding up to a perfect emotional pitch. Captures the innocence, selfishness, confusion and vulnerability of early childhood in a understatedly funny and French way. The style of both the art and narration owe much to Sempe and Goscinny's French illustrated boyhood classic, Petit Nicolas - so, if you liked this, try that!
Michael
Apr 22, 2011 Michael rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Michael by: Allison
A great short read about a little boy French. He has just started first grade and the teacher ask what his parents do. Jean doesn't know how to respond. He hasn't seen his mommy in a long time. This story follows Jean for this first half of first grade. We see as he grows and develops as a child. We learn his fears and joys.

This book is a fun read. It has a real feel to it. I felt that I was reading a story from this kids point of view, not someone else. He's so innocent in this story.

The art is
Jim
Feb 23, 2011 Jim rated it it was ok
spoiler alert

The local library has this filed w/the kids graphic novels.

Just a story about a year in the life of a first grade little boy. His Mom isn't around, for reasons he doesn't know. Dad is unhappy, the boy is raised by nannies and old people keep saying "poor child" to him.

The neighbor, a girl two or three years older than him reads postcards and says they're from his mother. At the end of the book the kids have a fight and the girl tells him santa doesn't exist and his mom is dead. Si
Brett
Apr 24, 2013 Brett rated it liked it
Shelves: j-graphic-novel
An interesting autobiographical story about a young French boy whose absent mother causes him discomfort & confusion, as well as some telling of tall tales. It made me a little sad, but I honestly don't know how an actual child would react to it - & I'm not sure who, in the target audience, I'd recommend it to. The artistic style is very eye-catching & fits well with the narration, although I'd also like to know a little bit more about "what happened next." Of course, it may be that ...more
Carrie
Loved the art in this. In addition to feeling very French (the first few pages at the school kept reminding me of the Madeline books) the format falls somewhere between a traditional comic format with dialogue and illustrations and a picture book, with narration and illustrations. The combination of formats, and wordless “interludes” worked well for showing the world of a five year old boy who doesn’t really understand where his mother has gone. Sweet and sad, but without being cloying.
Jason
Dec 03, 2012 Jason rated it liked it
A first grade boy named Jean narrates his life in France in 1970, from his father to his younger brother to his nanny and neighbor.

The novel unfolds as Jean struggles with figuring out what happened to his mom. ... And guess what? You WON'T find out either. I was disappointed in this book's ending--it was predictable but without any specific details. I was left hanging!

The art is terrific and in full color. It complements the story well.
Ann
Apr 14, 2011 Ann rated it really liked it
I really don't know who the intended audience is. It has a childhood spoiler at the end, making it one to avoid for kids who love Santa. Maybe middle school? ya? adults?

I enjoyed it, but I love graphic novels that tell a story, authentically, through both the text and the pictures. And the pictures are truly beautiful.
Estibaliz79
Oct 20, 2013 Estibaliz79 rated it it was amazing
Historia bonita y tierna donde las haya, sin caer en ningún momento en la sensiblería. Al contrario, hay tanto humor en esta visión de la infancia, que uno no puede evitar que la risa se le escape por la nariz de vez en cuando. En cuanto al dibujo, más de lo mismo: perfección para transmitir lo que se quiere contar, a tal punto que a veces apenas son necesarios los diálogos.

Un 10.
Yolanda
Jun 10, 2014 Yolanda rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels
This is about a little boy growing up in France and some of the things that happen in his life. It is predictable, a quick read and slightly sad. I read several of the reviews after I finished and I fail to find humor in this graphic novel. It could just be me or the content because it does flow nicely and the graphics are well done.
Blu
Mar 17, 2013 Blu rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels, bao
Gli adulti dovrebbero imparare a non nascondere la verità ai bambini perché ad un certo punto la vita gliela sbatte comunque in faccia, ma soprattutto perché riescono ad affrontarla meglio di quanto credano.

3.5
Stef
Dec 28, 2016 Stef rated it really liked it
I typically don't appreciate ambiguity with endings, but I was okay with this one. (What, exactly, happened and when?) But I was good with this story, which was told with sweetness and innocence without being sappy or sentimental. The illustrations are also great.
Christian McKay
Oct 05, 2009 Christian McKay rated it really liked it
Emily
Dec 21, 2009 Emily rated it it was amazing
Little graphic novel in translation from the French. A sweet little tearjerker, with funny vignettes of childhood. I was surprised by how well this story could be executed in the comics medium.
Terre
Aug 09, 2009 Terre rated it really liked it
This is a sweet and interesting look at how children deal with having the truth withheld from them. Very interesting. Worth reading.
The Reader's Bookshop
Oct 29, 2010 The Reader's Bookshop rated it really liked it
A charmingly drawn tale of a young French boy who thinks his mother is off having the adventures of a lifetime.
Amanda
Jul 25, 2011 Amanda rated it really liked it
A sweet and simple story. Very well done.
Jo
Oct 01, 2012 Jo rated it it was amazing
Beautiful and thoughtful, with some truly astounding art and surprising depth.
becky
Apr 10, 2010 becky rated it really liked it
bought this at the graphic arts convention with Neil
Kendall
Oct 22, 2014 Kendall rated it it was amazing
Such great illustrations and such a sad story. This is one of my favorite graphic novels I've read in a long time.
Eugenia Burchi
Carino, tenero, molto francese e pianti infiniti.
Jen
Sep 29, 2010 Jen rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
The story was sweet and sad and the artwork was awesome, but I don't really see this being a hit with the YA crowd. It may be another that appeals more to grown-ups.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »