Start by marking “Ideas for Action: Relevant Theory for Radical Change” as Want to Read:
Ideas for Action: Relevant Theory for Radical Change

Ideas for Action: Relevant Theory for Radical Change

From the Enron scandal to global warming, from the war on terrorism to the war on drugs, a growing number of people are unhappy with the status quo. Yet those genuinely interested in reading about the issues find that few contemporary theorists are seriously committed to accessible, clear writing. Furthermore, the mainstream media rarely represents social movements, and ...more
Published June 1st 2003 by South End Press (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Ideas for Action, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ideas for Action

Kurt
May 01, 2010 Kurt rated it it was amazing
I feel a thousand times smarter for reading this book. Or, at least, a thousand times less ignorant; more equipped; better able to understand. It's a perfect introduction to the world of left-wing politics. I've already recommended it to a few people and lent it to one other. It essentially devotes a few pages each to every kind of social justice movement; from vanguardism to children's rights; from radical feminism to environmentalism. She summarizes everything so well that even adherents to ...more
Bigg Khalil
Jun 05, 2007 Bigg Khalil rated it it was amazing
This is probably one of my all time favorite accidental buys. I found it while wondering a bookstore in Seattle and snatched it up. It was great! I like how it gives a good foundation for a number of different types of action, explaining the philosophy and ideas behind it, and uses clear and accessible language to do so. I'm hoping to use it for a class in the near future.
Dan
May 18, 2008 Dan rated it it was amazing
Unlike any other book I am aware of Ideas for Action entertainingly and usefully explains and contextualizes the thinking behind movements for a more just and equitable world.
Stacy
Sep 27, 2009 Stacy rated it it was amazing
Cynthia Kaufman was my professor at De Anza college (almost 20 years ago) back when I was a little dykling exploring my beliefs, politics and,well, my voice. She was an inspiration and I will always value all that I learned in her class. This book is a microcosm of all that I took away from my classroom experience as it demonstrates her ability to explore ideas, critically analyze pros/cons of theories and engage the reader in the excitement and possibility of change.
E.
Apr 27, 2015 E. rated it it was amazing
It may seem like I'm avoiding sharing politics with friends when I suggest a book instead of holding forth and being precious about my own opinions, but I find it distasteful and suspect to assume mentor/student relationships with other adults. IDEAS FOR ACTION is an excellent foundation for those interested enough to investigate on their own and discuss things as peers. It's also a good way to filter out people who just want me to tell them how to think. Win-win.
Mounia
Dec 20, 2012 Mounia rated it it was amazing
Kaufman's book is amazing in its ability to relate social and political theories to our very real and pressing problems. She goes ones step further by giving us a sense of hope in her action components. Overall, a beautifully thoughtful and intelligent book.
Violet
Feb 08, 2009 Violet rated it liked it
Reading this for my Women's Studies senior seminar. It's really good theory-wise, but for a book focused on *action* it's a bit less-than-inspiring so far.
Marty
Jul 07, 2008 Marty added it
A surprisingly good intro to leftist politics/philosophy. Defintely a good read for young activisty types (if thats your thing). Not really my thing, but would be a good read for others.
Kevin
Kevin rated it really liked it
Feb 02, 2008
Anne
Anne rated it really liked it
Apr 17, 2016
Modern Times Bookstore
Modern Times Bookstore rated it really liked it
Sep 06, 2008
Cyril M.
Cyril M. rated it it was amazing
May 21, 2013
Mitchel
Mitchel rated it it was amazing
Aug 29, 2008
Katie
Katie rated it it was amazing
Jun 22, 2015
Hedda
Hedda rated it it was amazing
Aug 21, 2008
Sammie
Sammie rated it it was ok
May 20, 2013
Jose Palafox
Jose Palafox rated it really liked it
Feb 04, 2010
Natalie Miller
Natalie Miller rated it it was amazing
Aug 03, 2015
Macy
Macy rated it really liked it
Nov 14, 2007
Alan Strong
Alan Strong rated it really liked it
Jan 11, 2014
Sarah rated it liked it
Dec 10, 2009
Guy Moore
Guy Moore rated it really liked it
Jan 24, 2015
Bran
Bran rated it really liked it
Nov 01, 2007
Emily
Emily rated it it was ok
Aug 24, 2014
Angie
Angie rated it really liked it
Jan 14, 2016
Natalie
Natalie rated it really liked it
Dec 03, 2016
saenamaen
saenamaen rated it it was ok
Dec 06, 2014
Bridge
Bridge rated it liked it
Jun 14, 2007
Jovan
Jovan rated it liked it
Jan 27, 2011
Armineh Noravian
Armineh Noravian rated it it was amazing
Jul 03, 2009