The Wreck at Sharpnose Point

The Wreck at Sharpnose Point

3.33 of 5 stars 3.33  ·  rating details  ·  30 ratings  ·  7 reviews
'Delightful and original ... an exhilarating combination of detective story, travel writing, personal memoir and creative fiction' Daily Mail
Paperback
Published March 1st 2003 by Pan MacMillan (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Wreck at Sharpnose Point, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wreck at Sharpnose Point

A Night to Remember by Walter LordLusitania by Diane PrestonThe Odyssey by HomerIn the Heart of the Sea by Nathaniel PhilbrickUncharted by J.B. Chicoine
Maritime Disaster
30th out of 70 books — 25 voters
The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisThe Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L. Frank BaumThe Donnie Chronicles by Jennifer K. LaffertyThe Snow Child by Eowyn IveyThe Fig Orchard by Layla Fiske
The
123rd out of 202 books — 5 voters

More lists with this book...

Kay

Jeremy Seal excels at constructing fine tales on seemingly flimsy premises: his fear of snakes was the springboard for the harrowing Snakebite Survivors' Club, for example, while a quest for a fez unfolded into the wonderful cultural travel book, A Fez of the Heart. I enjoyed both of these books so much that I put Seals on my "Promising Contemporary Authors" watch list and bought this earlier work from a used book seller.

Then, as is so often the case, the book sat on my groaning "to read" shelf

Kevin Tole
The figurehead of the Caledonia, wrecked on the North Cornwall coast, marks the mass grave of the crewmen of whom all but one perished when the ship was wrecked at Higher Sharpnose Point close to Morwenstow church. This brings the very Reverend Hawker into the story. A Cornish eccentric who wrote his sermons, poetry and many writings in a wooden hut made from salvaged timbers high on the cliff above Vicarage Cliff.

To anyone that knows the area and the church at Morwenstow this book represents t...more
theduckthief
"She stood beneath oaks and sycamores on high ground, close to the lych-gate and the stone outhouse that formed the graveyard's southeast corner. A train of celandines lay at her feet. She was dressed in a tam-o'-shanter and a sporran, and held a cutlass and a round shield on which a flowering thistle was carved. A sash hung from her left shoulder, and beneath it was a glimpse of chain like mermaid scales. Painted white she was almost life-size."

On a trip to Morwenstow, England, Jeremy Seal find...more
Durdles
A wonderful read. I didn't expect to but I loved the combination of the painstaking detective work involved and the fictionalised account of what might have (surely did?) happened to the ship and its crew. The deft way that the story is interwoven with the known facts brought the whole tragedy of the sailors and their ship to life. My favourite read of 2007.
Update March 2011: I have now been to Morwenstow in Cornwall to see the grave and the figurehead. It was a drizzly, misty and generally awf...more
Emma
I read this book several years ago while staying on the north Devon coast. I've not forgotten the pleasure I had from reading it and recommend it to all and sundry. It is a fascinating and worthwhile read.
Kayla
Entertaining and engaging, but not entirely history by any means. Half of the book is the author making discoveries and talking to people, his own discovery of information, and the tools that he used. The other half is his fictionalized account of how events might have happened, from the prospective of the lone survivor of the wreck.
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
May 24, 2014
Kristie Corcoran
Kristie Corcoran marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2014
Jean
Jean added it
May 26, 2014
Alishia
Alishia marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2014
Erika Schoeps
Erika Schoeps marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2014
Grok Testuser
Grok Testuser is currently reading it
Dec 20, 2013
Mckris10
Mckris10 marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2013
Cindy
Cindy marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2013
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2013
Sandy
Sandy marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2013
Henry
Henry added it
Jun 21, 2013
Nita
Nita marked it as to-read
May 07, 2013
Katrina
Katrina marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Jeremy Seal is a writer and broadcaster. His first book, A Fez of the Heart, was shortlisted for the 1995 Thomas Cook Travel Book Award. He is also the author of The Snakebite Survivors' Club and The Wreck at Sharpnose Point, and presenter of Channel 4's ‘Wreck Detectives’. He lives in Bath with his wife and daughters.
More about Jeremy Seal...
A Fez of the Heart: Travels Around Turkey in Search of a Hat The Snakebite Survivors' Club: Travels among Serpents Meander: East to West, Indirectly, Along a Turkish River Nicholas: The Epic Journey from Saint to Santa Claus