Start by marking “Anarchy in the Ashes (Ashes, #3)” as Want to Read:
Anarchy in the Ashes (Ashes, #3)

Anarchy in the Ashes (Ashes #3)

In the aftermath of germ and nuclear warfare, of plague and pillage and bloody anarchy, the fate of a divided world hangs by a slender thread. Ben Raines and his SUSA Rebels are on one side. . .the enemies of freedom are on the other. There's only a slim chance America will make it, but it's a chance that wasn't there before. And Ben Raines has sworn to make the dream of ...more
Published July 1st 1997 by Pinnacle (first published January 1st 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Anarchy in the Ashes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Anarchy in the Ashes

Todd Sullivan
Mar 23, 2016 Todd Sullivan rated it did not like it
I'm not sure why I continue to put myself through the experience of reading these books. They don't get any better. And their utter badness is essentially the same from book to book, so it's not like I get any new experiences out of them. Not really. I guess there's a reason that Johnstone was able to publish more than 200 books in his lifetime. And that reason appears to be that he doesn't bother with either second drafts or editors.

Here's an example of a sequence that happened in this book:

At
Sean Dunn
Apr 21, 2013 Sean Dunn rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2013
Ugh, what have I set myself up for. I read right around 13 of these books when I was a kid and thought they were great books. I've always wanted to read all 35 of them in order, something for the bucket list, I suppose. But now that I've got the books and started reading them, I'm not entirely certain I will have the patience to endure all the cheesy dialogue, 25 or so flashbacks to previous books every book since the first one, and the twisted sexual and torture scenes in the book.
The absolu
Stephen
Nov 07, 2014 Stephen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In the 80's and 90's, this was considered pulp fiction. Fun to read, and semi-serious, remember that was back when the Cold War was still going on. The problem is that things are worse today, and if you read carefully, this book series seems prophetic.

Anyway, in this book Ben has to deal with a Russian led Nazi style group that has peacefully taken root in America. They have begun to practice eugenics on anyone not of pure white descent. It gets pretty rough, pretty fast. If you don't have a str
Whit
Aug 06, 2011 Whit rated it did not like it
The first book was entertaining if you didn't take it too seriously, but as the series progresses Ben Raines becomes less and less believable. He seems borderline immortal and infallible, even incapable of aging. It becomes increasingly clear that Raines is a self insert character of the author who the author can't let go. Self aggrandizing day dreams are nice for him, but with time annoying to read.

I don't mind the gore, sex, and so on, but the political commentary is about as subtle and insig
Jo
Mar 05, 2009 Jo rated it it was ok
I have the bad luck to pick books that are in the middle of series. This is another, the 3rd of the Ashes series. Constant references to the first 2 books. Very confusing for the first chunk of the book.

Not especially well written. Character development is thin. Maybe because he churns out books so fast? And he writes some NASTY torture bits.
Bryan457
Ben Raines is thwarted in his attempts to put civilization back together by mercenary Sam Hartline and an army of Russians.

From here on the series seems to have settled into a formula; plans to put civilization back together get put on hold because they have to go out and fight the bad guys.

Warning, strong language, violence, torture and sex.
Timothy Boyd
Jan 25, 2016 Timothy Boyd rated it liked it
Very good adventure series. Basically the forming of a new United States after WW3 and the story of the man who leads and forms it. If you like men's adventure stories you will enjoy it. Recommended
Loni
Loni rated it it was amazing
Aug 07, 2015
John Sawyer
John Sawyer rated it it was ok
Aug 30, 2012
Steve
Steve rated it really liked it
Jun 22, 2012
Ron Phillips
Ron Phillips rated it it was amazing
Oct 05, 2016
Kolville
Kolville rated it it was amazing
Feb 18, 2010
Jeff Jake
Jeff Jake rated it liked it
Oct 10, 2012
Dale Cordell
Dale Cordell rated it it was amazing
Dec 11, 2014
Seth Kinkaid
Seth Kinkaid rated it really liked it
Mar 17, 2015
Ryan Bradley
Ryan Bradley rated it liked it
May 11, 2011
Bob Sipes
Bob Sipes rated it really liked it
Jul 18, 2012
Carolyn Davis
Carolyn Davis rated it really liked it
Jan 06, 2013
Pamela
Pamela rated it really liked it
Feb 22, 2014
Caroline
Caroline rated it liked it
Jan 24, 2016
Johnny Hawk
Johnny Hawk rated it liked it
Mar 29, 2013
Austin
Austin rated it it was amazing
Feb 25, 2015
Robert Tweed
Robert Tweed rated it it was amazing
Jun 25, 2016
Nick
Nick rated it really liked it
May 26, 2012
Daniel Williams
Daniel Williams rated it it was amazing
Apr 15, 2013
Megan
Megan rated it it was amazing
Aug 05, 2007
George Lee
George Lee rated it really liked it
Feb 01, 2014
Michael Lawing
Michael Lawing rated it liked it
May 29, 2012
Tara Hall
Tara Hall rated it liked it
Dec 19, 2012
Nathan Fraker
Nathan Fraker rated it it was amazing
Feb 19, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Pirate (Stratton, #7)
  • Far Bright Star
  • SEAL Team Six Outcasts (SEAL Team Six Outcasts, #1)
  • The Last Mailman: Neither Rain, Nor Sleet, Nor Zombies
  • Black Monday
  • Maralinga
  • Quarantine (Alone, #3)
  • Last Snow (Jack McClure, #2)
  • Breaking News: An Autozombiography
  • Afterlight (Last Light, #2)
  • Rage
  • Irish Thunder: The Hard Life and Times of Micky Ward
  • Hitler's Peace
  • Charon's Landing (Philip Mercer, #2)
  • Shades (Roswell #1)
  • Dead Earth: The Green Dawn
  • Dimiter
  • Josephine and the Soldier
20852
William Wallace Johnstone was a prolific American author, mostly of western, horror and survivalist novels.

Born and raised in southern Missouri, Johnstone was the youngest of four children. His father was a minister and his mother a school teacher. He quit school when he was fifteen and worked in a carnival and as a deputy sheriff. He later served in the Army and, upon returning to civilian life,
More about William W. Johnstone...

Ashes (1 - 10 of 34 books)
  • Out of the Ashes (Ashes, #1)
  • Fire in the Ashes (Ashes, #2)
  • Blood in the Ashes (Ashes, #4)
  • Alone in the Ashes (Ashes, #5)
  • Wind in the Ashes (Ashes, #6)
  • Smoke from the Ashes (Ashes, #7)
  • Danger in the Ashes (Ashes, #8)
  • Valor in the Ashes (Ashes, #9)
  • Trapped in the Ashes (Ashes, #10)
  • Death in the Ashes (Ashes, #11)