Start by marking “The Death of Chaos (The Saga of Recluce #5)” as Want to Read:
The Death of Chaos (The Saga of Recluce #5)

The Death of Chaos (The Saga of Recluce #5)

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  5,526 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Lerris has settled into being a woodworker and building a life with Krystal. But this newfound peace is endangered when both Candar and Recluce come under the threat of invasion from the Empire of Hamor. Despite the imminent possibility of destruction, the lands of Candar will not unite and Recluce will not heed the peril. Lerris is faced with the challenge of becoming the ...more
Published June 15th 1996 by Tor Fantasy (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about The Death of Chaos, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Death of Chaos

Princess Academy by Shannon HaleFablehaven by Brandon MullThe Goose Girl by Shannon HalePrincess of the Midnight Ball by Jessica Day GeorgePrincess of Glass by Jessica Day George
Books by Utah Authors
351st out of 727 books — 348 voters
Furies of Calderon by Jim ButcherImager by L.E. Modesitt Jr.Captain's Fury by Jim ButcherFirst Lord's Fury by Jim ButcherPrinceps' Fury by Jim Butcher
books with almighty heroes
49th out of 103 books — 21 voters

More lists with this book...

Jeremy Preacher
Reading this back-to-back with The Magic of Recluse (which it follows directly in the internal chronology, but is separated by three other books in the publication order) really both shows up how unusually weak Magic of Recluse is and how much the series developed over the course of a couple of books.

Most of the writing flaws are greatly mitigated. The onomatopoeia is still present, but as an occasional touch of flavor rather than a method of communicating action - this is much less jarring. Ler
Richard Tran
Nichole
I enjoyed another journey with Lerris. I enjoy the writing style and while some complain about story lines being too similar I don't agree. Another great book in my opinion and one of my favorites so far.
Mick
I really enjoy Modesitt's fantasy world creations. Though not normally a sci-fi fan, I enjoy his sci-fi books as well. I have read many reviews that find his writing predictable, but to me he has an amazing way of building the world and staying consistent with the rules of magic and the historical background that he builds on book by book.
A complaint I had at first was that each character only had one book. He has since expanded that out to two to three and I love how the characters develop.
The
Eric Moreno
Rachel-Anne 'McWitty' Ely
When you read several books by the same author in a row, you start to notice certain trends that may not have jumped out at you previously.

I really have enjoyed Modesitt's Recluce series, but I'm having a bit of an issue with the way he portrays women in relationships. Over and again, they're cold, bitter, shrewish bitches that just don't understand the poor guy they're involved romantically with. He manages to make the men look just as terrible, but honestly.. it tends to fall squarely on the '
Chris Pacheco
I always knew Modesitt was this shit, but this book just put some extra stink on my opinion. After the fourth book i realized that i didn't much care for either order or chaos, on account of there being a bunch of chump ass bitches behind both sides. The death of Chaos just confirms that fact. I'm not sure why L.E. decided that this was going to be the Fifth book in a series that has encompassed more than 10 novels, but I'm not sure i know where he's going to go with it. Lerris kinda puts everyo ...more
Bob
This one is a struggle. The first half of the book seems to wander from potential topic to maybe conflict. The final battle never really seems to get going and then, poof, it's done and something important happened.

It's still not a bad read. I call it "ok."
Jasraj Sandhu
A worthwhile conclusion to the 1st arc in the Saga of Recluce where I find the a good measure of closure as well as understanding of the grand order-chaos balance that Modesitt so methodologically built since the first book.

After taking the readers from the confused beginnings of Lerris to his first accomplishments as a wizard-crafter through a journey back to the founding of Recluce and the great characters that have achieved great deeds in the history of Recluce, not without the difficult und
Dave Page
Again, it is a book I read periodically. You have to like the amount of detail put into it to enjoy.

A lot is tell don't show at times but once I adjust to his style of writing I am happy with that.

I like his Recluse series and read it every so often.
DaveA
Good book. Much like the rest of Modesitt. Most of his books spend a of of time travelling, eating hard cheese and bread, and having battles that last a few paragraphs. This book has a couple of batles that last for a few pages, but they still seem short. Maybe one day I'll tire of Modesit, but, for now, I'm still planing on reading the next one!
Kurtbg
Book 5 in the series and the follow-up to book 1. we once again catch up with Lerris, a slowly dulling black order mage who has a history of offing white order wizards and making well-crafted furniture.

Once again the force of order and chaos clash (and all the vagaries between) and Lerris is once again needed to right the swelling wrongs.

If you've made it this far into the Recluce seris you'll enjoy this book.
If you're new, then you should at least first pick up the Magic of Recluce first, but
Fredrick Danysh
The countries of Hamor are at war as one ruler sets forth on conquest of the entire continent. The only things standing in his way are the woodworking mage Lerris and the wizards of Recluse. Full of action.
HeyT
This has to be my least favorite in the Recluse series so far. Although the fifth in the series it is, at least plot-wise, a direct sequel to the first. I can't quite put my finger on what irks me but I think in part it has all the elements of the first but none of the magic that made the first such an enjoyable reading experience.
Jeremy
just ok. many of the recluse novels have run together in my mind. the characters aren't so two dimensional that i would label them stock characters, but their development often seems forced. several characters are essentially the same as another character except with a different name and a different magical focus.
Myles Harrold
I liked this book. I still feel that there is a little repetiveness in these Recluce books, but this one was good because it continued a storyline that started the whole series. I can finally see the possibilities for 18 or more books in this series and all the different places the books may take us.
MarsianMan
Kathryn
I struggled with this at first - Lerris seemed annoying, and the world suddenly seemed bigger with a lot of new names and places appearing - but after about 200 pages it began to click, and I ended up reading the final quarter of the book in the space of a day.
Gordon
Sep 15, 2013 Gordon added it
Finally the series starts coming into its own. It took a lot of build up but for that last 100 pages everything snaps into focus from all the lead up and the action is intense and just enough with then ending being heart wrenching. Great book
Mark
Modesitt is a very...consistent writer. There's nothing wrong with this book, but if you have read any other in the Recluce series this adds very little. (His sf novels tend to be a cut above his fantasy novels.)
Tim
Dec 18, 2011 Tim rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: fantasy
The book is perhaps not quite as bad as 2 stars, but like a number of the Recluce books, lots of bad stuff happens and there isn't really any redeeming. The ending here is just unbearably sad.
Jason
I'm not sure why I feel compelled to keep reading this series. There's almost no originality from book to book, and the ideas being presented don't make any sense.
Leigh
I really enjoyed this one. I think Lerris is one of my favorite characters yet.
Clayton
This one is a real tear jerker. Probably one of the best books i've read.
Peter
Vastly enjoyable series due tothe depth of the world building
Zack
Very slow, and rather clumsily ended. Still, worth reading.
John Dalton
The death of chaos by L. E. Modesitt (1995)
Nate
Jul 14, 2008 Nate added it
ironic name for the series....
Ruth
i've got to read the rest of them...
Also a great book, it continues the story from The Magic of Recluce (Recluce Saga #1)
  • Brotherhood of the Wolf (Runelords, #2)
  • Master and Fool (Book of Words, #3)
  • Goddess of the Ice Realm (Lord of the Isles, #5)
  • The Loneliest Magician
  • Destiny: Child of the Sky (Symphony of Ages, #3)
  • Talon of the Silver Hawk (Conclave of Shadows, #1)
  • To Green Angel Tower, Part 1 (Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn, #3; Part 1)
  • Skybowl (Dragon Star, #3)
  • Fugitive Prince (Wars of Light & Shadow #4; Arc 3 - Alliance of Light, #1)
  • Prince of Dogs (Crown of Stars, #2)
  • Fortress of Owls (Fortress, #3)
  • The Devil's Armor (The Bronze Knight, #2)
L. E. (Leland Exton) Modesitt, Jr. is an author of science fiction and fantasy novels. He is best known for the fantasy series The Saga of Recluce. He graduated from Williams College in Massachusetts, lived in Washington, D.C. for 20 years, then moved to New Hampshire in 1989 where he met his wife. They relocated to Cedar City, Utah in 1993.

He has worked as a Navy pilot, lifeguard, delivery boy, u
More about L.E. Modesitt Jr....
The Magic of Recluce (The Saga of Recluce #1) The Magic Engineer (The Saga of Recluce #3) The Towers of the Sunset (The Saga of Recluce #2) The Order War (The Saga of Recluce #4) Imager (Imager Portfolio, #1)