Start by marking “Suicide by Sugar: A Startling Look at Our #1 National Addiction” as Want to Read:
Suicide by Sugar: A Startling Look at Our #1 National Addiction

Suicide by Sugar: A Startling Look at Our #1 National Addiction

It is a dangerous, addictive white powder that can be found in abundance throughout this country. It is not illegal. In fact, it is available near playgrounds, schools, and workplaces. It is in practically everything we eat and drink, and once we are hooked on it, the cravings can be overwhelming. This white substance of abuse is sugar.

Over two decades ago, Nancy Appleton’
Published October 15th 2008 by Square One Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Suicide by Sugar, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Suicide by Sugar

Miranda
Mar 14, 2011 Miranda rated it it was ok
This book covers some important info, but the writing style and inconsistencies annoyed me. I was also alarmed that an anti-sugar book would recommend cream of rice for breakfast, which is nothing but ground up white rice--not exactly low on the glycemic index. The food plans are barely explained. Also, a serious error on pp. 75-76. The author explains that a research study found that obese mice had more firmicutes in their guts, and thin mice had more bacteroidetes. When firmicutes were transpl ...more
Peter
May 20, 2012 Peter rated it did not like it
The writing style detracts from the important message of how a high sugar diet harms your health. The book is scattered, disorganized and often redundant. Scare tactics without adequate citations are sometimes used to get her point across. Lazy leaps of logic are annoying, such as linking eating chocolate to bulemia in one paragraph. Or later, when she writes that studies show conflicting results re: links between sugar consumption and children's emotional states, she asks us to rely on our gut ...more
Ghufran
Dec 20, 2015 Ghufran rated it it was amazing
آخر جملة خُتم بها الكتاب: (الصحة أم المرض؟ الاختيار لكم) . و حتماً أنا اختار الصحة
Lynne
Jun 10, 2010 Lynne rated it liked it
I gave this 3.5 Stars

About: "A Startling look at our #1 National Addiction" and "why our sweet tooth may be killing us"

Did you know that...1) The average person consumes 23 teaspoons of added sugar every day, which is 460 calories that supply no additional nutrients and upset the body's chemistry? 2) There are 10 teaspoons of sugar in a 12-ounce soda? 3) Sugar can lead to ovarian cancer and alcoholism and can cause varicose veins and juvenile delinquency, among 136 other cancers and diagnoses li
Heidi
Mar 25, 2010 Heidi rated it liked it
This book confirmed scientifically what I already suspected: too much sugar is bad for me. Sugar makes us more susceptible to illnesses and makes it harder for our bodies to heal. The author links sugar to the normal diseases like diabetes, hypoglycemia, and obesity, and also to dementia, cancer, and metabolic syndrome. Her claim is that sugar turns the body acidic, which knocks it out of homeostasis, which is bad because our bodies like to be in homeostasis. Oh, and sugar is addictive (which I ...more
Shannon
Feb 23, 2011 Shannon rated it really liked it
Shelves: nutrition
Most anyone who knows me knows I have a huge passion/obsession with all things healthy. So much so that it's hard for me not to get swept away in some of the nutritional hype of new products. Lately I've been trying to focus my energies on a certain old product that I am beginning to think has wreaked havoc on America's health...sugar. I love the stuff, but would love to lessen the amount of it I consume. (And yes, I'm focusing just on me right now and hoping it trickles down to my kids through ...more
Linda
Jun 06, 2012 Linda rated it it was ok
"Just a sweet tooth or sugar addiction?".
Sugar is linked to cancer, epilepsy, dementia and hypoglycemia. It gives you 140 reasons why sugar is ruining your health.
Ensure contains 40 grams of sugar and pediasure for babies contains 31 grams of sugar!!!!
Includes recipes and tips for healthy living
Michelle
May 16, 2017 Michelle rated it liked it
Interesting read, and very convincing. The author makes a very long list of illnesses that sugar consumption contributes to, however the books does not go into detail to back up all of those. It only gives details about a few of them. I think it was trying not to be too scientific so that it would appeal to all readers. But still makes some compelling arguments. I think the real proof is in trying to eat little to no sugar, which I had already started doing. I feel so much better since cutting s ...more
Gwendoline Van
Jan 08, 2014 Gwendoline Van rated it liked it
Over the years, sugar's gotten quite bad press, and Appleton brings it together in her book for a convincing look at why this relatively modern ingredient really has us all worse off. As someone who overcame nicotine addiction, my sweettooth eerily resembles the cravings and detoxes I experienced before, and oh, alas, it's because we become chemically dependent on sugar to fix its own ravages within our dependent bodies.

The sugar fiend is a real one: Apparently, all our bodies can biologically
Melanie
May 10, 2012 Melanie rated it did not like it
This is one of those books I muddled through just to make sure it never got any better than first impressions indicated. It didn't. She's another one of those quacks that writes for a seventh-grade audience. It's true that refined sugars are harmful, but her suggestions for alternatives are things like rice and white/sweet potatoes.

The book is a mess and hard to follow, and the layout artist stuck the inset columns in some inconvenient places. There are also a lot of journal citations, but the
Jan 13, 2015 Jennifer rated it liked it
I have mixed reviews about this book. While I do agree with the fact that sugar is bad for us, I think this book was a bit outdated. She still recommended low fat diets and using wheat products which I myself will not do. I've read way too many things about how wheat burns just as fast as sugar (and experience this as well) so what's the point really. Plus I think eating good fats is beneficial. Of course this is just my opinion ,but then this review is also my opinion. I was happy though to fin ...more
Christina
Apr 29, 2015 Christina rated it it was ok
Recommended to Christina by: Doctor
I totally agree with cutting sugar, but I don't think this is the best resource to transition to a sugar-free diet. I feel like the author was was using scare tactics to frighten someone into changing their diet. Also, there aren't a lot of ideas for practical application. There are a few recipes. To be fair, I mostly skimmed the book. If you want to cut sugar from your life, I would recommend The Sugar Addict's Total Recovery Program instead.
Mylinda
Oct 19, 2009 Mylinda rated it liked it
Shelves: health
I think the reason I just gave this book 3 stars is because I have done so much reading recently on the matter of processed foods and sugar. So the information presented here was not all that new. However, I did enjoy the author's matter-of-fact presentation and her list of 140 ways sugar (this includes all forms of sweeteners) damages our health. Many of these I had not even considered. Overall, a good read (and not too lengthy that I wondered if it would ever end) and a lot of valuable informa ...more
Rhea
Oct 24, 2012 Rhea rated it liked it
Wasn't great, wasn't terrible. There was a lot of time spent on soda, chocolate, and those ensure drinks and how terrible they are for you, but then it was stated several times that its okay to put up with the sugar in ketchup, which I found rather odd. Couldn't you just stop eating ketchup like you should stop drinking soda? I really was looking for more of an overall picture of how sugar is in almost everything. I did gain some knowledge and it did provide some paths towards other information ...more
Barbara (The Bibliophage)
Jun 27, 2010 Barbara (The Bibliophage) rated it really liked it
I have avoided reading this book for a few years. The whole idea of giving up sugar displeased my "moderation" brain. Now I find that NOT giving up sugar will be damaging to my waistline, overall well-being and definitely my brain. The author makes her case both passionately and with plenty of research. Be sure to read the 140 health hazards of sugar. They will shock you!
Lani
Feb 18, 2012 Lani rated it liked it
I know sugar is bad for me so this book didn't reveal too much new information for me but it did inspire me to change my eating habits. The thorough explanations of how our bodies process sugar was interesting and helpful. It is definitely a book worth reading if you want to change your eating habits and fight the sugar addiction.
Vi
Apr 22, 2011 Vi rated it liked it
Shelves: health
This book details how eating too much refined sugar knocks our bodies out of balance and create an acidic environment in our bodies. This acidic environment leads to diabetes, heard problems, attention deficit, cancer, etc.

The book is written in conversational tone and leaves a lot of questions unanswered.
I_love_a_happily_ever_after
Jan 06, 2012 I_love_a_happily_ever_after rated it it was amazing
Short, to the point, and painfully accurate. If you think a little here and there is fine, or just using in moderation is OK, think again. Read this book and it will set the record straight. I HIGHLY reccomend reading this for yourself, your family, your mailman...whoever you think it would benifit.
Christina
Dec 23, 2009 Christina rated it it was ok
Better writing style than the other "sugar book" I read. Again, the majority of the book talks about how sugar (it does not cover refined foods/carbs so much, like the other book) is BAD. A chapter at the end gives you a plan on what to eat but some of it contradicts what the other book talked about. Again, a good motivator for me just to make some general changes in what I eat.
Jordan
Jul 31, 2012 Jordan rated it liked it
Long book with lot's of data to support a pretty obvious conclusion. Worth reading if you have health problems or are wanting to arm yourself to educate others, others wise you'd probably be better off skimming the ocean of online articles about our nations sugar epidemic.
Jennifer Belaire
Nov 29, 2009 Jennifer Belaire rated it liked it
If half of what is said in this book is true about sugar we should all feel ashamed that we include it with any meal. While a big part of reading this was to change my own diet it made me think of my father as well when it talked about sugar feeding abnormal cancer cells.
Megan
Apr 22, 2015 Megan rated it it was ok
I think this book is a good start. It tells you sugar is bad and it lists the reasons why, it gives some recipes, then it ends. It's a quick read that introduces you to the dangers of sugar. Borrow it from the library before you buy it.
Sabrina Monet
Apr 17, 2014 Sabrina Monet rated it liked it
It had some interesting points and it's definitely important to know the facts, but sometimes it bordered on the fanatic. I'd been skimming through it in the lobby of the salon I visit and decided to finally read it proper.
Carissa
Mar 17, 2010 Carissa rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. It's a fast read and it's stuff we already know or should know, but it's great to remind us of the dangers of sugar. I am a sugar addict and I have not even wanted sugar since finishing this book.
Scott Birk
Oct 25, 2010 Scott Birk rated it really liked it
Scary to read what sugar does to our bodies. Since I cut almost all sugar from my diet a couple of months ago, I've lost 35 pounds. There must be something to this idea that sugar is bad for us... at least it was for me.
Amy
Mar 23, 2011 Amy rated it liked it
Easy read though not that clearly written. I want to eliminate sugar so picked this up from the library. From the book i learned that Sugar wrecks the body's homeostasis and blocks immune system. She used butter and heavy cream in her sugar-free recipes. Won't that clog arteries?
Debbie Stclaire
Great Book with lots of facts about why we should not eat sugar
Isaiah
Mar 05, 2013 Isaiah rated it liked it
It was a good book and it helped me learn how dangerous sugar can be.
Lindsey
Nov 19, 2011 Lindsey rated it it was amazing
This lady is a fanatic and usually I don't love fanatics, but this book was so influential in how I think about what I eat that I'm giving it all I've got.
Tara
Aug 20, 2011 Tara rated it it was amazing
Every living, breathing person should read this book.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Sugar Shock!: How Sweets and Simple Carbs Can Derail Your Life--and How You Can Get Back on Track
  • Life Without Bread: How a Low-Carbohydrate Diet Can Save Your Life
  • An Apple a Day
  • The New Detox Diet: The Complete Guide for Lifelong Vitality with Recipes, Menus, and Detox Plans
  • Sugar Blues
  • Oil Pulling Therapy: Detoxifying and Healing the Body Through Oral Cleansing
  • Paleoista: Gain Energy, Get Lean, and Feel Fabulous With the Diet You Were Born to Eat
  • Herbal Antibiotics: Natural Alternatives for Treating Drug Resistant Bacteria (Storey Medicinal Herb Guide)
  • Dangerous Grains: The Devastating Truth About Wheat and Gluten, and How to Restore Your Health
  • Integrative Nutrition: Feed Your Hunger for Health and Happiness
  • Gluten Freedom: The Nation's Leading Expert Offers the Essential Guide to a Healthy, Gluten-Free Lifestyle
  • Cure Tooth Decay: Heal and Prevent Cavities with Nutrition
  • Seven Pillars Of Health: The Natural Way To Better Health For Life
  • Fortify Your Life: Your Guide to Vitamins, Minerals, and More
  • The Healthiest Kid in the Neighborhood: Ten Ways to Get Your Family on the Right Nutritional Track (Sears Parenting Library)
  • The Spectrum: A Scientifically Proven Program to Feel Better, Live Longer, Lose Weight, and Gain Health
  • Gut and Psychology Syndrome: Natural Treatment for Autism, ADD/ADHD, Dyslexia, Dyspraxia, Depression, Schizophrenia
  • Fit for Life