Start by marking “Faeries” as Want to Read:
Faeries

Faeries

3.88  ·  Rating Details  ·  35,585 Ratings  ·  190 Reviews
It has been 25 years since Brian Froud and Alan Lee created the delightful, imaginative, and surprising Faeries -- a book that quickly became a massive international bestseller and went on to sell more than a million copies. Readers continue to offer praise: "This is the most influential book I have ever read." "This book is -- where are the words to describe it? Magnifice ...more
Published October 1st 1979 by Bantam (first published 1978)

To ask other readers questions about Faeries, please sign up.

Michael It's not a story as such, Connie, rather a series of short tales and information about different faery beings. It's full of beautiful illustrations,…moreIt's not a story as such, Connie, rather a series of short tales and information about different faery beings. It's full of beautiful illustrations, which make it worth buying on that account alone.(less)
Michael Faeries are nature spirits as believed in by the ancient Celtic peoples and their descendents.

The singular is 'faery' or 'fairy' - either spelling is…more

The singular is 'faery' or 'fairy' - either spelling is correct.(less)

Mike (the Paladin)
I bought this book for my wife some years ago. She was an artist and very talented. Near the end of her life one of the subjects she was beginning to work with was "fantasy subjects" including faeries. She was (as I said above) very talented and throughout her life as she would pick up different techniques and concentrate on different subjects she would expand her "catalog" so to speak. She was able it seemed to study a new type or style and within a few attempts she'd have captured it. She did ...more
Anna
Jan 03, 2012 Anna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fairytale, favorites, 2012
Faeries is a wonderful book: illustrations that are charming, eerie and beautiful, and stories and a wealth of information on fairy-lore. I learned some things that surprised me - for example, although I was aware that people used to attribute prehistoric flint arrowheads to the fairies, I didn't know that the word 'stroke' for paralysis derives from a belief in seizures caused by the touch of a fairy, or 'Elf-stroke'. And although I've read the Harry Potter series a number of times, and tend to ...more
Larissa
Jan 27, 2011 Larissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Whether we are aware of it or not faeries have, for as long as can be remembered, always played a part in the daily lives of men, women and especially children. For as far back as can be remembered there have been stories, ballads and legends of faeries and their ability to connect with the nature on the planet and the nature of man. Though not always with the most desired of results, for as many stories as there are of faeries bringing messages of love and friendship there are also stories of t ...more
Patick Kyteler
Oct 03, 2012 Patick Kyteler rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: young adults; artists
This is the book that made Brian Froud famous and has yet to be surpassed. Alan Lee's ethereal watercolors are just as breathtaking and provide a lovely counterpoint to Froud's more dramatic drawings. But don't let the glowing images fool you into thinking this is just another coffee table "art" book. The folklore contained therein is just as sound. The flora and fauna sections are especially worthwhile. There is also a dangerous aspect to this work, which adds a fascinating spiciness. Not all f ...more
Lance
Aug 20, 2008 Lance rated it really liked it
Wonderful artwork, I've used it as a reference book. After reading this, I've been able to recognize a lot of different mythical creatures in other works that I would not have otherwise. For instance, Jenny Green Teeth shows up in Pratchett's The Wee Free Men and the Pooka in such movies as Darby O'Gill and the Little People, and the Jimmy Stewart classic, Harvey. This is the book that influenced Jim Henson to recruit Froud's help with the movie The Dark Crystal. I didn't realize until very rece ...more
Mike
May 25, 2015 Mike rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think I skimmed this book more than read it when my sister gave it to me when I was a kid, but the illustrations were terrific and I copied a lot of them in the afternoons after school when I first started to draw. I thought I had lost it but found it the other day, battered but still living.
☪♥Magic Love Wonderland☯♥Love☮
Jun 05, 2016 ☪♥Magic Love Wonderland☯♥Love☮ rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Art and Faery Lovers
Shelves: fantasy, animals
This one was a magnificent, beautiful book with wonderful drawings from Brian Froud and Alan Lee.
There are so many and different Faeries and both Illustrators describe each Faerie..

Here are some of the Illustrations I've loved:

And this one is my favourite:

Michael
"Die vielen kleinen Ärgernisse des Alltags werden selbstverständlich durch diverse Plagegeister verursacht. Bei verfilztem Menschenhaar und undurchdringlich verwirrten Pferdemähnen spricht man zutreffend auch von Elfenknoten."

Jetzt weiß ich endlich, was morgens mit meinen paar Haaren los ist:

Agy Wilson
Jul 27, 2012 Agy Wilson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have been in love with Brian Froud from his collaboration with Alan Lee. I spent long hours pouring over his book, and saw the clear influence (excitedly) on the movie Labyrinth, one of my all-time faves, along with Outside Over There. I'm grateful to this because at a young age I saw the interconnectivity of books and other creative endeavors because of it. Not so literal, but still having profound impact. My work is more fantastical but I think a real argument could be made of the influence ...more
Denice Garrou
Jun 15, 2013 Denice Garrou rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a believer in the world of the Fae and Biti Foki I am so thankful for Brian and Wendy Froud. They pick up where my imagination leaves off and I have a huge imagination. They do not sugar coat the elemental realm; you get the light and dark side, as it should be. If you want to graduate from Tinkerbell to the meat and potatoes of the fae folk I suggest you become a Froud follower and fan.
Denice Garrou
Author of Dragonhorse and the Seeker of the Forgotten Knowledge
Violet
Oct 29, 2009 Violet rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I never knew there were so many different names for faeries. This book is comprised of legends and folklore. The illustrations reminded me of something but I couldn't put my finger on it till I read some of the other reviews of this book. They mentioned that Brian Froud worked on The Dark Crystal, and that is when I knew why they looked so familiar.

Fairies can turn on you at any moment, and they like to play jokes on human folks. So beware.
Saoirse Sterling
Whilst the other book I've read like this (Goblins!) might have been rather child-orientated and lack-lustre, this one definitely isn't. It has beautiful drawings that make me want to punch everyone around me for being so good, and the information is genuine folklore fact (if such a thing exists).
Tracey
Jun 26, 2010 Tracey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
No artist I know of reveals the personality of individual faeries while expressing his personal style so clearly as Brian Froud. He renders each detail with care and love; his devotion to his subjects shines through.
cEe beE
Jun 13, 2014 cEe beE rated it it was amazing
The first time I saw the beautiful illustrations in this book, it was like the fairy world finally came alive. Brian Froud captured both the light and darkness of the magical and mysterious fey world.
Jim
Oct 23, 2014 Jim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Putting this in no-fiction because it is a great source on these fantastic creatures & the artwork is wonderful. It's worth buying just to look at the pictures.
Max Nemtsov
Mar 26, 2015 Max Nemtsov rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Завораживающая энциклопедия альтернативного мира. Сам текст-то - обычный дайджест о феечках, эльфах и проч., вполне полезно собранный в одном месте, а вот изобразительный ряд двух позднехиппейских английских художников чарует и развлекает сразу на многих уровнях.
Nomad
Jan 22, 2012 Nomad rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: froud
This is kind of the classic book that really started the whole fantsy art genre. It has sold well and consistently every year since it's publication and there are often new anniversary editions that come out in hardback as the years go by.

This wasn't the first book by Froud that I bought, but it's one of my favorites. You can really see the affection that he has for his subjects and the paintings have a certain rawness to them that later paintings do not have. I'm not saying his later work is ba
Samantha
Jun 05, 2016 Samantha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great artwork! I am a big folklore fan and I might look up more books like this for inspiration.
Holly Ready
Nov 18, 2015 Holly Ready rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Enter A World You Won’t Forget

My first encounter with the book Faeries, by Brian Froud and Alan Lee, was by chance my sophomore year of high school. An art teacher who had picked up on my enthusiasm for mythology and Celtic lore allowed me to borrow his copy- and never have I been whisked away into a book like I was on that day. The poor excuse for a hardcover was torn and crinkled, and yellowed around the edges… but I didn’t mind- if anything it added to the mysticism and ethereal properties th
Francesco Fabi
Jan 27, 2016 Francesco Fabi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A masterpiece in its own genre it is hard to see the like of ( Illustrator Tony Di Terlizzi has done something that stands comparison with this, and very like this in the concept). One of the best fantasy illustrated books ever, it has influenced fantasy illustration since its publications.
Froud and Lee do not need an introduction, and the subject is covered in both a "scientific" and entertaining style. Fairies are described, and depicted, in an entirely new way (for the time), away from the s
Cherie
Nov 18, 2013 Cherie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a beautiful book!

The artwork is exceptional and I could spend hours looking at the drawings. It is the definitave book on Faeries - all of the different types are named and defined as well as the different flowers and trees that are important to faerie lore.

There are folk tales listed, poetry written about them, and notes from other author's stories.

This is a must own volume for anyone interested in the subject.
Patrice
This is a delightful book with amazing illustrations and explanations about Faeries. I enjoyed reading about all the different types of Faerie. Some I had heard of before like Brownies and Boggarts, and there were others that I had never heard of and found very interesting. It is a very readable book and some of the illustrations will take you breath away. It includes information gathered from some earlier works by other authors too.
Jade
Jun 29, 2014 Jade rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art, fairy-tales
My grandmother, an avid lover of fairy tales and ghost stories, used to have one of the first printed books of Faeries on her bookshelf – after she passed away, it disappeared. After years of searching for a Dutch second-hand copy that matched hers exactly, I finally had the pleasure of coming across one a few weeks ago for a reasonable price.

It really was a pleasure to read it through again, and admire the illustrations within. The amazing art by Brian Froud and Alan Lee is more than enough to
Sandie
Dec 25, 2015 Sandie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: from small children to adults
Shelves: brian-froud
This is still my favorite of all of Brian Froud's works. The artwork is amazing but I absolutely love the literary end of this book as well. I remember reading it for the first time in high school, when I was a freshman and I was fascinated with the names and the stories and the pictures. This book is amazing. I think it would appeal to children and adults alike.
Crissy
Jun 29, 2014 Crissy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, faeries
This book is magnificent! Part field journal, part anecdotal, with beautiful artwork throughout, often overlapping each other, and snippets from ancestral poems about faeries (including a version of "Tam Lin" at the end, from 1792). The faerie types described are almost exclusively from the British isles, with some from Europe. The handwriting is hard to read in some places but lends an authentic air to the "field journal" style. The only bad thing is that I have a library copy....and about five ...more
T.L. Wood
Mar 06, 2010 T.L. Wood rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of Brian Froud’s older book’s all done in black and white giving you that sketch pad feel. They are lovely pictures just the same. You can feel him grow as an artist if you collect his work as I have. I am a great lover of his work, he is an amazing artist.
Laurel
Apr 26, 2012 Laurel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
I believe that every story I've ever read about fairies, whether an epic fantasy or a modern urban one, has ties to the knowledge contained in this book. It's an indispensable source and an exquisitely interesting read! The watercolor art and sketches are phenomenal!
April-Jane Rowan
Apr 15, 2016 April-Jane Rowan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
For anyone that loves faeries then this book is a must have, full of gorgeous art and chilling fables. It strips away the sweet facade faeries have been given and takes them back to their dark roots. I particularly loved Alan Lee's artwork.
Cecilia
Mar 16, 2009 Cecilia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love the art of Brian Froud, he's one of my favourite artists, and his wife, Wendy, well... She has created the most beautiful dolls that I've ever seem!. This is a wonderful masterpiece. I've read it a lot of times and I never get tired of it!.
Velvetea
Aug 10, 2011 Velvetea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, art
What a world they've created, these two fantasy geniuses... I read for the art more than anything~ this is the combined effort of two of my favorite and most admired illustrators!! Each page is inspiring, and so beautiful.
是不是的 1 5 Jul 23, 2015 06:18AM
Enchanted Bookends: Faeries 5 6 May 09, 2012 02:20PM
  • Lady Cottington's Pressed Fairy Book
  • Gnomes
  • The Great Encyclopedia Of Faeries
  • A Midsummer Night's Faery Tale
  • The Fairies
  • Encyclopedia of Fairies: Hobgoblins, Brownies, Bogies, & Other Supernatural Creatures
  • The Art of Faery
  • The Art of Amy Brown
  • Fairyopolis: A Flower Fairies Journal
  • The Winter Child
  • Castles (An Original Bantam Gift Book)
  • The Element Encyclopedia of Magical Creatures: The Ultimate A-Z of Fantastic Beings from Myth and Magic
  • The World Guide to Gnomes, Fairies, Elves and Other Little People
  • The King's Agent
  • Fairies and Elves (The Enchanted World Series)
  • The Gashlycrumb Tinies (The Vinegar Works, #1)
  • The Unicorn
  • Griffin and Sabine (Griffin & Sabine Trilogy #1)
Brian Froud is an award-winning illustrator, author, and faery authority. His books include the international best-sellers Faeries, Lady Cottington's Pressed Fairy Book, Lady Cottington's Fairy Album, and The Faeries' Oracle. He also served as the conceptual designer on Jim Henson's films The Dark Crystal and Labyrinth. Froud lives in Devon, England.
----------------------

"I paint the spirit and s
More about Brian Froud...