Start by marking “Deathstalker (Deathstalker, #1)” as Want to Read:
Deathstalker (Deathstalker, #1)

Deathstalker (Deathstalker #1)

3.93  ·  Rating Details ·  4,097 Ratings  ·  171 Reviews
Owen Deathstalker never wanted to be head of his clan. But when his father is murdered and he himself is outlawed by the order of the Empress, Owen must face the fact that destiny has other plans for him...

Mass Market Paperback, 523 pages
Published February 1st 1995 by Roc (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Deathstalker, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Deathstalker

Audrey
Jan 21, 2013 Audrey rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-punk-fi
Great laser-mounted cannons of excess! What is this nonsense?

In one first volume of a space opera we have, in no discernible order: Mob-style family feuds! A merciless and corrupt ruler! A hope for the future of Humanity* macguffin! Imprisoned empaths! Clones! A lecherous old woman-hater in charge! Two ninjas who both disguise themselves as Emo Philips! A reluctant hero! A rag-tag band of sidekicks! Killer whores! Naked assassin sex-slaves! Gay assassins in love! Rooftop-guardian-angel-assassin!
Becca
Aug 08, 2012 Becca rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I have to say, that if you can't read a book without analyzing and reading to actively criticize, then you will certainly find loads of things to criticize about this book - the gore, the incessantly repeated phrases often within a couple of pages of each other, the cliche's and the ways that the main characters get out of situations. But, I read for pure enjoyment, nothing else, and if like me you read for enjoyment, love fantasy, science-fiction, and pure fun, then you will love this book.

For
Mary JL
Jun 04, 2009 Mary JL rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of science fiction--esp space opera
Recommended to Mary JL by: Found at sale
Shelves: main-sf-fantasy
Review is a bit late guys--unpacking from the move took longer than I thught! Amazing how much stuff one accumlates after 15 years in one apartment. Did not get much reading done either. (*sigh*)

Onwards to the review. When it first came out, the cover looked to me like the story inside was a Star Wars clone; so I was in no hurry to read it.

However, while there are many similarities to Star Wars, there are such similarities in many space opera tales.

Simon Green's style is interesting. I liked the
Chrissyreads
Oct 28, 2009 Chrissyreads rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is definitely not a book for every sci-fi lover. Especially those who like serious space adventures. This book is satirical in nature and explores most standard plot lines for a space opera. Evil ruler, gigantic empire, and epic battles are a given in this book. Plus he adds zombies and all sorts of things you won't find in, say, Star Wars. Also, this book has some of the most reprehensible villains that you find yourself growing a little fond of. My personal favorite is Valentine (though, ...more
Collin
Jan 06, 2009 Collin rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I've recently been on something of a Simon Green kick. That's ok, let it out. What can I say? I kind of like this guy. He's prolific as all heck, clearly has a very active imagination and is making a living as a writer. He's practically my idol. However, he also drops books like an overfed pigeon and when you do this there's absolutely no way they are all going to be good. Deathstalker is, I think, the best example of this. When you read a lot of an author's work you start to pick up on their ti ...more
Lauren Smith
It's absolute overkill from beginning to end, but it's quite good fun. Reading Deathstalker is the literary equivalent of going to see a blockbuster for the sheer thrill of awesome special effects, superhuman warriors and amazing fight scenes. In other words, watch out for the one-liners, expect no subtlety, sit back and have a great time as a few bold rebels face insurmountable odds going up against a cruel galactic Empire.
Mark
Sep 09, 2009 Mark rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who really love star wars but want to read something non-star wars
Shelves: sciencefiction
Deathstalker...yeah...

Where to begin?

There's this evil empire of humanity and it's led by the dark evil emporer...no wait...she's an empress and she's not so dark, but she is evil. Anyway there's this hopeful young farm boy named Luke Skywalk...wait, that's not it. He's a young aristocrat named Owen Deathstalker. So the Empress puts a bounty on the head of Owen for seemingly no reason, causing him to make a run for it.

Luckily, he is rescued by the spunky-yet-beautiful princess Leia...wait, it's
Eric Allen
Dec 05, 2013 Eric Allen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Deathstalker
Book 1 of Deathstalker
By Simon R. Green

A Deathstalker Retrospective by Eric Allen

Welcome to my new retrospective series. We've looked at Science Fiction series in retrospective, and we've looked at Fantasy series in retrospective. Now, let's take a look at something called Science Fantasy. Science Fantasy has elements of both Science Fiction and Fantasy in it that prevents it from being readily assigned to either genre. A Science Fantasy story will typically make use of both futurist
Traci
Nov 27, 2012 Traci rated it really liked it
A long fan of Green's, I first thought about reading the Deathstalker series while working my way through one of his Secret Histories entries (Eddie Drood enlists the help of a Deathstalker, though for the life of me I can't remember which one). The idea sat on a back burner of my reading brain until I found a copy on Amazon for a penny + shipping. Well, why not, I thought? If it's good, great. If it's horrible, not a huge investment, and I could always donate it to the library.

This is a much di
Rafael
Oct 21, 2012 Rafael rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The worst space opera I have read so far... I gave it a try in German and later thoght that maybe the translator fucked up. So when I found an English copy in a friends bookshelf I gave it another try. Nothing improved though.
Characters without any trace of credibility, a world wich keeps getting more unrealistic with every page you turn. An then there's the great mystery how the world manages to present You with even more deadly (yet before never mentioned) antagonists.
I forgot whom You have t
John
Jun 22, 2011 John rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Dreadful. Repetitive language and tropes ("lithely muscular" over and over again, exploding heads, about 5 mysterious master swordsmen), stiff and stereotypical characters, a plot that doesn't really make much sense, "political intrigue" that's completely unconvincing, villains with the sophistication of Skeletor...

Yeah, the popularity of this book baffles me. If you want space opera, there are authors out there (Alastair Reynolds for one) who can actually write it in a manner which resembles li
Jason
I only got 50-60 pages in to this before I had to put it down. The writing jumped all over the place, leaving me pretty confused! It wasn't well written and didn't draw me in at all. I'll own the fact that I'm not a huge fan of "space novels" so they have to be really good to hold my attention. Unfortunately, this wasn't one of them!
Joyce
At first I didn't like this book. After the first few chapters though it grew on me. I listened to this via audiobook and it was well done. By the end though I enjoyed it enough to give it three stars maybe it deserves 3 1/2.
Scott Weber
I have been reading Simon Green's Nightside books and enjoying them well enough, so I thought that I would try one of his other works. I like series and it has been some time since I read any sci-fi, so this sounded pretty good.

This book takes place within a vast human empire run by a tyrant affectionately refered to as the Iron Bitch. The hero, Owen Deathstalker, is a minor noble of an ancient noble house. Somehow, unknown to him, he has run afoul of the empress and finds himself suddenly witho
Aaron
Jul 15, 2014 Aaron rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
According to Wikipedia the author intended this to be, to an extent, a parody of space operas. Reviews here warned me that minor characters got a lot of screen time. (Although, I was still surprised that less than half the book was following the protagonist.) Forewarned is forearmed, so I enjoyed it for the sprawling beast that it is. In fact, it was mostly little things that broke me out of the narrative and annoyed me.

I read the Kindle version and the OCR errors were a little distracting. A "c
Gregg
Apr 14, 2011 Gregg rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: People who like cool, superhuman abilities
Like many others, I would say the horrendous cover art is misleading. There is plenty of coolness and intrigue to offset some shortcomings in other areas. Each character has different "super" powers and an interesting place in the world of political intrigue and fantastic settings. I originally read it as a trilogy, liked it a lot and then found it increasingly tedious as the series went on. I recently reread the first three books and found them enjoyable again- but I have no plans to revisit th ...more
Elisabeth
Jan 25, 2011 Elisabeth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great sci-fi. It's the kind of book though, that when I begin to tell someone the story it doesen't really sound like a book I'd like! Quite violent and gory in places. But a thrilling story and some fab humour in there too.
Lance Martincich
Brilliant story and a great start to the series. Would recommend it to anyone interested in Sci-Fi and fantasy. Simon R Green has done a wonderful job in "setting up the players" on a galactic chessboard.

Can't wait to see how the story continues
Mwr610
Dec 23, 2008 Mwr610 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting combination of Sci-fi and swordplay. The author has a talent for descriptions and coming up with names of people, places, things that evoke an emotional response. The story is the usual one or few against many but done with style.
Drmeow
Sep 27, 2010 Drmeow rated it it was ok
Either a sincere book that reads like an unintentional parody or a really badly written parody.
Nolan M
Apr 19, 2010 Nolan M rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fast paced, beautifully written.

A thoroughly enjoyable series.

... of epic proportions.
Ladiibbug
Aug 25, 2009 Ladiibbug rated it really liked it
Deathstalker #1 - Sci Fi series

Read prior to Jan. '07
Tobey
For me this was very sci-fi (duh!) meets medieval in a lot of ways. It took a lot for me to get into it and there were many parts I did not enjoy reading at all but despite that, I kept on and liked it well enough. Enough to likely read the next one at any rate.
Nettle
Feb 02, 2017 Nettle rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Yeah I'm done with this about 75% of the way through. Into the charity pile it goes. The writing is overly simplistic and relies way too much on coincidence.
Will
Aug 26, 2016 Will rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
First, I want to point out that I did not READ this book. Or any of Simon R. Green's work. I listened to the Graphic Audio version, which has a full cast, music, and sound effects. And the narration...it's half audio book, half old time radio show. I don't think I COULD actually sit down and read any of the "Deathstalker" books, but I can listen to them while I'm doing laundry or paying bills or driving, because I don't feel guilty for wasting my time.
And right there you essentially have the cru
Daniel
Sep 24, 2016 Daniel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book, in my opinion, was fantastic. Sure the technology doesnt always make sense and lines are repeated sometimes within a few pages of each other but I found I didn't care as I read it.

Its a fun book. And thats the point of it.

This is not a hard SF book. Its meant as a popcorn book and it fufils its role perfectly. I really loved this book and haven't got much to say about it other than that you should buy it, read it and preferably love it.
Errolyn
Jan 23, 2009 Errolyn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
First what I loved:

The world created is excellent. I loved the long history and the various people, aliens, people-aliens and creatures that populated the world. The scope of the story line is really big and epic and there is nothing I like more than a nice long story that is built brick by brick and give you enough chance to grow and change with the characters.
The side characters are all great. In a way I enjoyed the side characters more than the main, but they were all rich with their own h
Pauli Koskinen
Mar 30, 2014 Pauli Koskinen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anybody who likes same kind of stuff i wrote about..
OH BOY THESE BOOKS HAVE STYLE!
I read the entire book saga, and I must say that it doesn't let down, last 2 books of the saga, one can live without reading, as they aren't quite as good and don't contribute as much to main books as the first 5. I read first 2 books and listened remaining 5 as audio book versions. Audio book versions were superior of quality and production value, if one likes good flowing audio book, this 8 book set will not leave you cold.

Sum sum summarum: The books aren't Asimo
Jer
May 21, 2013 Jer rated it it was ok
Shelves: sci-fi
Pros:
- A good bit of action,
- universe & characters had potential.

Cons:
- Very poorly executed, potential of universe & characters was never realized,
- Characters were flat and one dimensional, all spoke in the same voice and often with the same uninspired lines.
- repetitive not just to a fault, but maddeningly so,
- overblown dialogue and monologues, long winded speeches with little or no content or purpose,
- hyperbole was rampant, seemingly the only tool in the author's bag to get his
David
Feb 16, 2017 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed the story. Dialog need a lot of work. A lot of overused cliches and a few inconsistencies in the story timeline.
The Sword and Laser: A True Sword & Laser Series Read 1 51 Oct 26, 2011 07:03AM
  • We Few (Empire of Man, #4)
  • A Confederation of Valor (Confederation, #1-2)
  • The Clone Alliance (Rogue Clone, #3)
  • Death's Head (Death's Head #1)
  • Matadora (Matador, #2)
  • Orphan's Destiny (Jason Wander, #2)
  • Chasing the Dragon (Quantum Gravity #4)
  • The Outback Stars (The Outback Stars #1)
  • Beyond Varallan (Stardoc, #2)
  • Starship: Mutiny (Starship, #1)
  • Cordelia's Honor (Vorkosigan #1,#2)
  • Planetfall
  • A Call to Arms (The Damned, #1)
  • The Myriad (Tour of the Merrimack, #1)
  • Midshipman's Hope (Seafort Saga, #1)
  • The Court of a Thousand Suns (Sten, #3)
  • The Price of the Stars (Mageworlds, #1)
  • Choice of the Cat (Vampire Earth #2)
41942
Simon Richard Green is a British science fiction and fantasy-author. He holds a degree in Modern English and American Literature from the University of Leicester. His first publication was in 1979.

His Deathstalker series is partly a parody of the usual space-opera of the 1950s, told with sovereign disregard of the rules of probability, while being at the same time extremely bloodthirsty.

Excerpted
More about Simon R. Green...

Deathstalker (8 books)
  • Deathstalker Rebellion (Deathstalker, #2)
  • Deathstalker War (Deathstalker, #3)
  • Deathstalker Honor (Deathstalker, #4)
  • Deathstalker Destiny (Deathstalker, #5)
  • Deathstalker Legacy (Deathstalker, #6)
  • Deathstalker Return (Deathstalker, #7)
  • Deathstalker Coda (Deathstalker, #8)

“Too many people live the lives other people think they ought to, following orders they don't agree with, for causes they don't believe in. They live lives that don't matter, that touch no one and change nothing. For better or worse, you and I stared evil in the eye and didn't flinch. We raised our swords and went to war, and even if we didn't win we kicked some ass along the way. We made a difference, and that's all any man can ask.” 32 likes