The Sword and the Chain (Guardians of the Flame, #2)

The Sword and the Chain (Guardians of the Flame #2)

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  2,400 ratings  ·  23 reviews
WARRIOR, WIZARD, DWARF, THEIF, AND MASTER BUILDER <.b>
all of them had chosen this world as their destiny, a realm where dragons were only too real and magic, not science, was the law of the land. Karl, Andrea, Ahira, Walter, and Lou knew there was no going back to twentieth-century America now. Instead they were stranded in a time and place where only healing spells
Published April 1st 1984 by Roc (first published 1984)

To ask other readers questions about The Sword and the Chain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sword and the Chain

Eragon by Christopher PaoliniThe Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienEldest by Christopher PaoliniBrisingr by Christopher PaoliniDragonflight by Anne McCaffrey
Dragons
264th out of 787 books — 1,522 voters
Cold Days by Jim ButcherThe Blinding Knife by Brent WeeksThe Name of the Wind by Patrick RothfussTricked by Kevin HearneA Perfect Blood by Kim Harrison
Adult Fantasy & Sci-Fi 2012
387th out of 409 books — 805 voters

More lists with this book...

Lisa (Harmonybites)
Apr 22, 2010 Lisa (Harmonybites) rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fantasy Fans
At first impression the first book in this series, The Sleeping Dragon didn't seem like it would be anything special. Seven college students from modern-day America playing a game reminiscent of Dungeons and Dragons are transported to the fantasy world of the game as their role-playing alter egos. So one of them becomes a powerful dwarf warrior, another a thief/assassin type, another a sorceress and so on, and they have to find a way back into our world.

So what makes this different? Well, becaus...more
The Sword and the Chain continues the adventures of Karl, Ahira et al. in the fantasy world they have found themselves in. Bound by an oath to free the society from slaves, Karl sets off to do just that. Or tries to--his reckless behaviour has caused a price to be put on his head, and his companions beg him to be cautious. After initiating a haven for freed slaves, Karl sets off to return one of the slaves to her home, unaware that he is being hunted by an unknown enemy wizard.

This book was sh...more
Derek Brown
Meh. I try not to start reviews so, but this sequel was just so much less than the first book promised, or what could be done in a story where real people are transported into a D&D type reality, filled with magic and dragons and sword fighting.

The first in the series focused mostly on world building and the characters learning about their world, what they could do. This one focuses instead on what they can do to fix the world's problems (namely abolishing slavery) by applying their own mor...more
Bea
This is Book Two (out of ten) of the Guardians of the Flame. In this fantasy, the college game players are back in the other world with a fire-breathing dragon guarding the exit back to their usual world. So, they accept that they are "here to stay".

This adventure focuses on their setting up their own community and taking on the mission to destroy slaving capture and transport. Karl feels this mission personally and so heads up the raids against the slavers. However, the Wizard Guild has put a...more
Shiloh
I love how that Karl as become more mature and sure of himself, and really reaching out to help others. I love the shock at the beginning of the book. It really show that this world is reality and not just some fantasy game.
Dustin
I liked it. I was better paced than the first in the series and the author did a better job with the characterization of the protagonists.
The heroes take up the task they were charged with at the end of the first book: ending slavery across the fantasy world, and they hit upon a clever way to do it, making it economically unfeasible to afford slaves. Of course, that's background detail to the book's adventure, which is about getting all up in some slaver's grills, returning a slave to her homel...more
Dave Peticolas

Fantasy fantasy fantasy.

Thomas Alvi
Stick with the 1st book and call it good enough, the series gets weak after the 1st - REALLY weak. I give The Sleeping Dragon 5 stars, then each following book (2 & 3) only 3 stars. The first book condenses everything into a neat, if simple, package.

2 & 3 get overly moralistic, and the writing seems to be directed at people with a 5-6th grade education. Just WEAK. Plus, the whole "modern society folk try to modernize a primitive land" has been done so much better it makes me wish Rosenbe...more
Jiret
Aug 19, 2014 Jiret marked it as to-read
book on hand
Steve Williamson
Joel Rosenberg was one of the most inspirational fantasy authors to me, and is probably the second biggest reason I became a fantasy author myself, closely behind the legendary Sterling E. Lanier. The Sword and the Chain pulls you along with a perfect pace of action and risk, and the characters are as memorable as the most famous movie roles from Hollywood.
Mark
Not much to say here. Continues the adventures of the first book, with a logical progression of how the characters evolve. Has a few inconsistencies with the first book, but I think that's because the first was written as a stand alone and now the author chose to build in a few longer running plot threads.
Mike (the Paladin)
Pretty good book, maybe better than it's predecessor. There's actually a little more story here. It's the same characters, the ones who started out as gamers from our world but now they are in a new world with a free civilization to build and enemies who want to stop it.

Not bad at all.
Shannon Appelcline
This book has a very unfocused feel to it and is also an abrupt break from the last due to large changes in cast.

However, it still has the interesting and dynamic characterization from the last book, as well as a new big-picture focus on a changing society.
Bryan457
My favorite of the series. I love people out of time and place, e.g. Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court, Crosstime Engineer, 1632, Wizard's Bane, etc.
I like the hilarious smartmouth dragon, the magician turned engineer, the crusade against slavery etc.
Topher
What happens when your D&D campaign becomes real......with a focus on how modern americans would handle suddenly living in a slave-economy, etc.

Interesting series. Not high-brow. Amusing, and enjoyable.
Peregrine 12
Excellent follow-up to the first book. The rebellion is gaining steam and slavery is becoming unpopular. Dragons, graphic violence, even love... what's not to like?
Taddow
This is my second time reading this book since it was first released (my first was in high school) and I still found it a good read (not as great as the first though).
Tucker
Aug 27, 2009 Tucker rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Tucker by: great-uncle
I don't read fantasy that often and I really liked the book. My only complain is it swears a little.not as much as ender's game but it does swear
Garth
Fun, hollow fantasy adventure story about building an anti-slavery colony in a world of wizards and warriors.
Wendell
WONDERFUL BOOK FOR THE IMAGINATION. FOLLOWS THE FIRST BOOK WELL.
Theresa
adventure in a Dungeons and dragons inspired series of books
Jen
I liked this just as well as I like any fantasy book, I guess. :)
Steve
Steve added it
Sep 13, 2014
  • Secret of the Sixth Magic (Magics, #2)
  • The Quest for Saint Camber (The Histories of King Kelson, #3)
  • The Hour of the Gate (Spellsinger, #2)
  • The Second Book of Swords (Books of Swords, #2)
  • The Misenchanted Sword
  • Daughter of the Lion (Chronicles of the Cheysuli, #6)
  • Exiles of the Rynth (Irissa and Kendric #2)
  • The River of Dancing Gods (Dancing Gods #1)
  • Her Majesty's Wizard (Wizard in Rhyme #1)
  • Myth-ing Persons / Little Myth Marker (Myth Adventures, #5-6)

Note: This is a different person than the political/thriller author, Joel C. Rosenberg

Joel Rosenberg was the author of the bestselling Guardians of the Flame books as well as the D'Shai and Keepers of the Hidden Ways series. He made his home in Minneapolis, Minnesota.
More about Joel Rosenberg...
The Sleeping Dragon (Guardians of the Flame, #1) The Silver Crown (Guardians of the Flame, #3) The Heir Apparent (Guardians of the Flame, #4) The Warrior Lives (Guardians of the Flame #5) The Road to Ehvenor (Guardians of the Flame, #6)