Start by marking “Death In Paradise (Jesse Stone, #3)” as Want to Read:
Death In Paradise (Jesse Stone, #3)

Death In Paradise (Jesse Stone #3)

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  3,612 ratings  ·  179 reviews
The Paradise Men's Softball League has wrapped up another game, and Jesse Stone is lingering in the parking lot with his teammates, drinking beer, swapping stories of double plays and beautiful women in the late-summer twilight. But then a frightened voice calls out to him from the edge of a nearby lake. There, two men squat at the water's edge. In front of them, facedown, ...more
Published November 5th 2001 by Putnam Adult (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Death In Paradise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death In Paradise

Robert
This is a serviceable detective thriller about the police chief of a small coastal town near Boston. The protagonist is an alcoholic who blew his career as a homicide detective in L.A. and his marriage, too. He's not a complete loner; he still meets his ex-wife frequently and starts a relationship with the head of the local high school...which interested me: The parts of the book where it is demonstrated that Stone has a life beyond his job mostly distract from rather than advance the plot. It's ...more
Eric_W
Watched one of the Jesse Stone movies with Tom Selleck, and that reminded me I had several of the Jesse Stone books moldering on my Ipod. Opened up Death in Paradise, started listening and became enthralled.

I really enjoyed this. I've read a lot of Parker and liked the early Spenser very much. Once Susan entered the picture, they became less interesting. Jesse Stone is understated, his problems with booze real but not overly dramatized, and his relationships with girlfriends real. There is an un
Kathy
Pat
The Paradise Men's Softball League has wrapped up another game, and Jesse Stone is lingering in the parking lot with his teammates, drinking beer, swapping stories of double plays and beautiful women in the late summer twilight. But then a frightened voice calls out to him from the shore of a nearby lake. There, two men squat at the water's edge. In front of them, face down, is something that used to be a girl.
The local cops haven't seen anything like this before, but Jesse's LA past has made h
Una Tiers
Parker's usual dialogue falls into a he said, she replied format. Is this deliberate? This haunting mystery has characters woven seamlessly to the end.
Jon Borah

Robert B. Parker is back in Paradise, where Detective Jesse Stone is looking for two things: the killer of a teenage girl—and someone, anyone, who is willing to claim the body…

Amazon.com Review

With assured confidence and a master's economy of means, Robert B. Parker, who is best known for his Spenser series, delivers one of his finest, most absorbing works yet. This third entry in the Jesse Stone series finds Stone--a former LAPD cop fired for drinking on the job--serving as chief of police i

Glenajo
I got this book because I really enjoy the Jesse Stone Movie series; I have not read his other novels. I think I will stick to the movies. I am not sure if I enjoy Tom Selleck or if the story is simple enough that, it just does not make a good book for me. The book came off much darker and more depressing than the movies. It left me sad, and I definitely do not want that. If you like a sad, haunting murder mystery, this may be the book for you.
Franklin Atherton
The third Robert B. Parker Jesse Stone novel went down just as smoothly as the first two. That's 3 in a little over a week. I'm on a roll, and so is Jesse Stone. Parker was really hitting his stride with this one. As a series progresses the author and the characters seem to become more comfortable with each other and their roles, and this is the book where that happens for the Jesse Stone universe.

Ignited by the murder of the lady in the lake, Jesse burns like a slow fuse, following one lead aft
Jerry
We really enjoy Parker’s Paradise (Mass.) Police Chief Jesse Stone set – and fortunately his estate is authorizing continued stories (three so far). We almost hate it that the many chapters, short sentences, and lots of wide margins means we can buzz through these tales in just a couple of hours or less. Stone is a persistent son of a gun who virtually always “get his man” – and “Death” is no exception. Unfortunately, the subject matter – underage working girls – was not particularly to our tast ...more
Alan
Ah, the library discard box. Such a treasure trove at times. I've found for myself, and others, some really good books, and some of course pretty bad. Parker's Jesse Stone tale falls into the former, and was enjoyable enough for me to consider renting some of the others from the library.

Many might be familiar with Jesse from the Tom Selleck movies. The major difference between the movies and the book is Jesse in the book is not as old as Jesse in the movies. The rest is there though. Failed mino
Mark
This book was actually my first meeting with Jesse Stone in the guise of Tom Selleck. Yes indeed I saw the tv-movie and found it highly enjoyable. And indeed the film stays largely faithfull to the book, with the exception of Stone's exwife who plays a larger part in the books than the movies. I still think that the books did that far better than RB Parker ever did.

The story is about a murdered girl found and she is NOT MISSING because her family threw her out because she did not fit their ideal
Crys (The Hodgenator)
The Jesse Stone books get better and better. In book 1, I complained that the book was too heavy on description, slowing the plot. Now that I've read book 3, I see the purpose of it.

Book 3 zips by with the clipped dialogue I have come to love with Tom Selleck in the role on the screen, and in the book it really works for me. I find that it moves the plot faster.

In this novel, Stone is faced with the murder of a teen runaway, and he wants the killer behind bars.

I call this the soul searching book
Gisela
Does anyone hate the Jennifer character as much as I do? I enjoy the plot of these books, but Parker is an older man who is clueless about women. His female characters are very 20th century, they are really only in the plot as sex objects. Oh he tries to be modern and give them high powered jobs, but still I get the feeling that he thinks a woman's place is in the home. It's grating in what would otherwise be a fun light read.
T Lewandowski
Another Jesse Stone book. He's a likable detective, and the stories evolve around both a mystery and his ongoing challenge with loving, and being loved by, his ex-wife and his challenges with the bottle. Robert Parker manages to not have Jesse Stone screw up too much due to the bottle, and that makes the stories more enjoyable. This one gives you a few bad guys to wonder about as you read it. A good plane/beach book.
Kimberly Hill
After reading the first 3 books in this series, I understand why I don't like them very much. Jesse Stone is an alcoholic man-whore and he's not even messed up in an interesting way. He annoys me.
As for why it took me three books to figure this out? It didn't. I thought of it during the first book but I loved Spenser so I had to keep reading to see if I found Jesse even half as compelling. He isn't.

L.
Robert B Parkers books are a guilty pleasure for me. They are a quick read, although I found this book to be very predictable and somewhat haphazard. A girl is found dead and Jesse Stone must solve the case. There seems to me to be more concentration on Jesse's baseball games than on the homicide he is trying to solve. However, I still enjoyed it.
Tim Smith
A good plot and continued development of characters introduced in earlier titles make this an enjoyable read. However, the abundance of profanity and incidental sex scenes only detract and distract the reader. Although Parker wrapped it all up by the closing chapters, he leaves a hint that the next title in the series will be more of the same.
Donna
The characters are interesting, the story is fair. However, for those teachers of use who know that "said is dead" and have expected our students to bury "said" in their word graveyard, be advised that Parker has resurrected all of them and used them in his book.

Parker is proof that the persistent get published. Not impressed.
Dan Lakey
I have read this book, and while I find the story line to be most excellent, I have a real problem with the way Mr. Parker conducted dialogue. This is the first story of his I have experienced, unfortunately I probably won't experience anymore due primarily to the very awkward dialogue. There were places in the book where the word "said" was used 30-40 times in a single page. Apparently Mr. Parker never heard of words like: retorted; exclaimed; boasted; screamed; beseech; plead; asked, all of th ...more
Beth
This is an early Jesse Stone (I can't give the publication date since I read it in large print and they only give the date it was first printed in large type). So how can I tell it's an early one? Well, first of all Jesse really does have a drinking problem. Second of all he begins therapy with the bald, enigmatic Dix, and third he and Jen are just beginning to circle around each other in their ex-marriage love affair. As far as the mystery goes, Jesse is looking for someone who killed a teenage ...more
Kathi
Another nice quick read for working the night shift. I am getting a little tired of the Stone novels and may take a break for awhile, maybe try one of his other series. It is nice to be able to picture Tom Selleck in the role as I read, as well as the other characters; xtill haven't been able to get a mental picture of Jenn.
Mom
Christopher Everest
This is a somewhat lower-key book than the earlier ones in the series. Perhaps because of the nature of the offences - child-killing, under-age prostitution, paedophile exploitation - this book is concerned primarily with the nature of self-control. It seems a sparse, darker book to me. With Jesse's complex problems with Jenn, the woman he thinks he loves, and the continuing difficulties of an addiction to drink various options are revealed. As usual with RBP there are a range of alternatives fr ...more
***Dave Hill
If Parker's most recent Spenser tale (Widow's Walk) seems laid-back, this one is positively moribund, as small-town police chief Stone deals with the death of a local girl. Even moving half the “action” down to Boston, and encountering there some familiar Spenser bad guys, does almost nothing to keep this one afloat. Jesse deals lackadaisically with his various romances and his love of baseball, but also (and it’s only here that any real tension surfaces) his drinking.

If Parker were really tryin
David A. Howe Public Library
Nic Gunning's review: Another strong entry in the Jesse Stone series. I always look forward to seeing where Parker will take his characters. There is something very enthralling about these books. Jesse is such a flawed, yet heroic character.
Kathy
This is a new series for me, and I did enjoy it. Competent plot, likeable characters. Nothing outstanding, but a pleasant and engaging police procedural. The drunken cop trope gets old, but it is not overly annoying in this.
Pauline A Curtis-Bookwalter
Enjoyable

Enjoyable, even when you already have an idea of the story due to the made for TV movies. Simple but to the point writing.
bookczuk
This was an early Jesse Stone novel that I somehow missed. It filled in the gaps for some things, like how Jesse started going to Dix. It was a nice touch to see Vinnie outside of a Spenser novel.

Parker had a gift -- he could tell an ongoing story of daily life and love, write conversation, and spin a mystery all between the covers of books.

This was a little bittersweet, too, because in the past, I would hold my Spenser books for mother and brother and husband. At least I still have one person
George Miles
I liked this third entry in the Jesse Stone series better than the second. More focused story, better characterizations.
David
I do enjoy these Jesse Stone novels. This one was a bit short and it was enjoyable in its quiet way. Others are better.
  • Robert B. Parker's Killing the Blues (Jesse Stone, #10)
  • Robert B. Parker's Wonderland (Spenser, #41)
  • Poodle Springs
  • Robert B. Parker's Ironhorse (Virgil Cole and Everett Hitch, #5)
  • Robert B. Parker's Blind Spot (Jesse Stone, #13)
  • Passport To Peril (Hard Case Crime #57)
  • Trouble in Triplicate (Nero Wolfe, #14)
  • The Right Hand of Amon (Lieutenant Bak, #1)
  • Orchid Blues (Holly Barker, #2)
  • Stalking the Angel (Elvis Cole, #2)
  • Final Justice
  • Mad Mouse (John Ceepak Mystery, #2)
  • The Burglar in the Closet (Bernie Rhodenbarr, #2)
  • Testament
  • Phantom Prey (Lucas Davenport, #18)
Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the Goodreads database named Robert B. Parker.
Robert Brown Parker was an American crime writer. His most famous works were the novels about the private detective Spenser. ABC television network developed the television series Spenser: For Hire based on the character in the late 1980s; a series of TV movies based on the character were also produced.
More about Robert B. Parker...

Jesse Stone (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Night Passage (Jesse Stone, #1)
  • Trouble In Paradise (Jesse Stone, #2)
  • Stone Cold (Jesse Stone, #4)
  • Sea Change (Jesse Stone, #5)
  • High Profile (Jesse Stone, #6)
  • Stranger In Paradise (Jesse Stone, #7)
  • Night And Day (Jesse Stone, #8)
  • Split Image (Jesse Stone, #9)
  • Robert B. Parker's Killing the Blues (Jesse Stone, #10)
  • Robert B. Parker's Fool Me Twice (Jesse Stone, #11)
The Godwulf Manuscript (Spenser, #1) Sixkill (Spenser, #39) Painted Ladies (Spenser, #38) Chance (Spenser, #23) Split Image (Jesse Stone, #9)