Start by marking “Unworthy” as Want to Read:
Unworthy

Unworthy (Star Trek: Voyager)

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  705 ratings  ·  34 reviews
Freed with a thought, the greatest menace to humanity, the Borg, are gone, absorbed into the Caeliar gestalt. But are they? Can this deadly menace that has hovered over humanity for decades truly be gone? Might some shadow of the Caeliar remain? The Federation decides that they have to know, and Starfleet is ordered to find out.

The Starship Voyager leads a fleet into a r

Mass Market Paperback, 370 pages
Published September 29th 2009 by Pocket Books (first published September 8th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Unworthy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Unworthy

Mosaic by Jeri TaylorPathways by Jeri TaylorStar Trek by Kirsten BeyerCloak and Dagger by Christie GoldenUnworthy by Kirsten Beyer
Best Star Trek Voyager books
5th out of 22 books — 16 voters
Homecoming by Christie GoldenThe Farther Shore by Christie GoldenSpirit Walk by Christie GoldenEnemy of My Enemy by Christie GoldenFull Circle by Kirsten Beyer
Voyager Relaunch Series
6th out of 9 books — 2 voters

More lists with this book...

Michael King
Finally, a decent Voyager book.

With the titles since the end of the series (has it been that many years ago?), the ST authors have given short shrift to Voyager. While Tuvok has moved on to ST:Titan, the other Voyager characters have been left to languish in the wake of the other Trek novels and ongoing pantheon that culminated last year in the Destiny miniseries.

With the reboot from Destiny, several major storylines from the Voyager books were left hanging, and Voyager's place among the new Tr
Athena Braun
This was a very, very good read!!
B'Elanna and her 3 and half daughter Miral have been in hiding for more than a year. A renegade Klingon sect decided the best way to avert the apocalypse Miral's birth foretold was to kill her. B'Elanna was going to meet up with her husband Tom when her ship needs repairs. She decides to visit a friend.
Seven is having issues of her own: Her Beloved aunt has died as has her friend B'Ellanna and her daughter or so she thinks..Now she is constantly hearing a voice i
Steve
I was initially hesitant to give this book 5 stars, but I realized that I did really like it, and that I found it incredibly difficult to put down, and for those two facts alone, it deserves five stars. I like the premise of this book, but I found one or two parts a little hard to reconcile, but I guess that is what the second book is for.
Keith
I've read the Star Trek series for decades now (horrible realization here), and this book was the first to catch my interest in years. I'm really looking forward to Ms Beyer's original content novel that was mentioned in the author's notes.
Steve
Vanessa
I always loved Star Trek and it's some of the only sci-fi fantasy books I read. Some of good and some are not so good. Disenchanted with the previous few books in the Voyager series, I was glad to finally read a good one. Sometimes there are so many characters that it's hard to keep track of them, as in the Titan series. This one has quite a few due to the fleet of ships in the main plot line, but they were manageable and I was able to keep track of them fairly easily. A lot of the book is focus ...more
Daniel
Unworthy is the next novel in the Star Trek Voyager relaunch series and follows the events in Full Circle. Voyager and the Full Circle fleet make it to the Delta Quadrant after a bumpy ride using the slipstream drive. Over time, B'lanna, Seven, and Chakotay join Voyager along side Captain Eden. What they find in the last region of space Voyager visited was both a relief and a shock. Following the events of the incredible Star Trek Destiny trilogy, the Borg's former transwarp network is destroyed ...more
Allison
Another great edition to the reboot line. I'm continually impressed with how engaged these books get me, despite shaky characterization. I gotta give credit to the plot- Beyer is better than the actual writers for the show in that respect. There aren't lose ends, things make sense, and I'm ultimately satisfied with the way the plot wraps up.

The alien of the week is cool as heck- multiple aliens (some noncoporeal and/or nonhumanoid) interacting to sort of form a "collective" of their own, aliens
Gaby
Oct 29, 2009 Gaby rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: sci-fi
Unworthy is the latest in the Star Trek Voyager series. While I am not that familiar with the Star Trek Voyager novels, I've enjoyed watching Star Trek on TV. This latest installment, Unworthy, smoothly portrays the Voyager characters and introduces the new captain of the Starship Voyager, Afsarah Eden. Kirsten Beyer includes enough background that new readers can reasonably follow the story, although I felt that I would have benefited by having read the earlier book.

The characters' internal con
Andrew
Kirsten Beyer's Voyager novels are worth reading. This book marks the launch of the newly-assembled fleet into the Delta Quadrant.

The previous novel, Star Trek: Voyager: Full Circle, ended with several established characters not with the fleet, but don't worry - they are not excluded from the storyline. (Telling you more would give stuff away.) There is also good interaction between familiar characters and ones we are still getting to know, like Eden and Cambridge.

This novel focuses on two thin
Arthur
What a good popcorn read! I was taken back to the old Star Trek on television days. I did not realized that the Star Trek: Voyager book series had be "relaunched" and this book was about in the middle of the series. I still enjoyed it. And I now need to get the earlier books in the series. Upon reading this book, I did not know I had missed the Star Trek: Voyager characters. Looking forward to obtaining the rest of the "relaunch" books. A fun read.
Melvin Patterson
I was pleasantly gratified by this entry in the Voyager saga. I wasn't a huge fan of the TV series, but Kirsten Beyer has done a truly excellent job in giving these characters life and depth.

I thought these characters had added depth and complexity which was refreshing. The thing I always liked about the original series was that it wasn't just spaceships and phaser battles, but about relationships and social problems in a science fiction context.

In some of the books based on the Trek series you
John Carter McKnight
Really delightfully surprised by this one. A cleverly structured set of unexpected narrative turns, right through to the last page. In the middle, I was getting a bit frustrated with the "the readers can guess whodunit, but the characters are being obtuse" plot device, when suddenly it was inverted, then inverted again. What a delight!

Same with the main alien encounter, which both tangles the question of "are they good guys or bad guys?" with a serious interrogation of ethics and the Prime Dire
Nicolas
Solid entry in the Voyager relaunch series. It nicely sets up a new era for the Voyager crew and even manages to introduce new characters in a non-irritating way. I still miss Janeway though.
Kelly Gregory
This book takes place after the conclusion of the Star Trek Destiny Book Lost Souls, The Next Generation's Greater Than the Sum, and Voyager's Full Circle.
Kristen
This was pretty fun. I typically enjoy Beyer's novels. I was glad to see Voyager return to the Delta quadrant for genuine exploration. It was weird and kind of sad to see so many characters there, but still not to have it be the same old crew. The changes were good, though.

I thought the Indign culture was interesting in a completely messed up way. Revering the Borg freaks me out. I think Beyer needed to go into a little more detail about the Eight and Meegan, but I am sure that will be covered
Robert Sparrenberger
Second book in the series was better than the first. Good story and good use of the Voyager cast minis Tuvock.
Dan
An exciting and fast-paced story with many twists and turns. Often, Star Trek novels can be formulaic and easy to predict; However, this outing, like much of the modern Trek novels, proved to be unique and exciting, with many plot twists I certainly didn't see coming. I highly recommend reading this tale, but if you haven't read the Destiny trilogy or the previous Next Generation and Voyager relaunch novels, you may feel a little lost.

Full review: http://treklit.blogspot.com/2011/04/u...
Leslie
An abrupt ending that felt like it came out of no where but a fun read.
D. Eric
"Unworthy" continues where "Full Circle" with the USS Voyager leading a small Federation fleet back to the Delta Quadrant to investigate the demise of the Borg to make sure it is true. They immediately encounter a race that worships the Borg as gods and must work within the Prime Directive in dealing with the seemingly insane notion. Along the way they find themselves betrayed by one of their own and it could lead to the destruction of the entire Delta Quadrant fleet if not stopped.
Kirsten
As a followup to Full Circle, not bad! I think my biggest issue with this one is the sheer number of new characters. It got really hard to keep track of at times. Fantastic character development, though, and I am enjoying a couple of the new additions to the crew. It's nice to see that, unlike many episodes of the series, the characters haven't hit the "reset" button since the last novel. Some part were a bit slow, but I think they're on a good track with this relaunch.
Doz
The Voyager characters I've come to know and enjoy were far removed from the characters in this book. Makes me wonder if the author has ever seen a Voyager episode, or else she's simply lost the plot. I did not enjoy this book, or the earlier one, might as well have been reading about complete strangers. I will think twice about ever buying another ST Voyager book if the quality of the plots don't improve.
Emily
I did like this book, and I read it in about a days' time, but I do not think it was as strong as Full Circle. It didn't grab me in the same way. The characters are still written beautifully, and in character, but the plot didn't excite me too much. However, I am excited to continue reading the next books in the series, so I think this book is still worth reading (and it is a pretty quick read).
Dave Tindall
Very good book. really enjoyed it.
John
Jul 27, 2011 John added it
This was an awesome book, a continuation of "Full Circle", Beyer's previous ST:V novel. I really can't wait to see what is next for the Voyager crew. Looks like Kirsten Beyer has taken over for Christie Golden in writing the continuation of the ST:V timeline, though hopefully we'll see a new one from her too in the future.
Melissa
I liked the story as a whole. But, I am rather confused about what the Indign where trying to accomplish by sending that canister to Voyager.Idid enjoy the interactions between the members of the crew as they all work to find their places on the ship.
Benjamin Plume
Enjoyed it. It wasn't quite as daunting in scope as its predecessor, but the characters went to interesting places in their lives while the timeline moved forward in a needed way. Very satisfying read if you've been missing the Voyager cast.
None
Jan 12, 2011 None added it
Francisco J.
Story doesn't deviate much from character development,but neither does it sacrifice that for having enough action and suspense to keep the reader interested. Good read, overall:)
Anita
I love the star trek books. I think they are fun and an easy read. Not exactly award winning writing, but enjoyable to me.
  • The Farther Shore (Star Trek: Voyager: Homecoming, #2)
  • Mere Mortals (Star Trek: Destiny #2)
  • Losing the Peace (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • Over a Torrent Sea (Star Trek: Titan, #5)
  • Evolution (Star Trek Voyager: String Theory, #3)
  • Cohesion (Star Trek Voyager: String Theory, #1)
  • Plagues of Night (Star Trek: Typhon Pact, #6)
  • Before Dishonor (Star Trek The Next Generation)
  • Sword of Damocles (Star Trek Titan #4)
  • Synthesis (Star Trek: Titan, #6)
  • Trill and Bajor (Worlds of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, Vol. 2)
  • A Singular Destiny (Star Trek)
  • Taking Wing (Star Trek: Titan, #1)
  • Unity (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)

Star Trek: Voyager (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • Caretaker (Star Trek Voyager, #1)
  • The Escape (Star Trek Voyager, #2)
  • Ragnarok (Star Trek Voyager, #3)
  • Violations (Star Trek: Voyager #4)
  • Incident at Arbuk (Star Trek: Voyager, #5)
  • The Murdered Sun (Star Trek: Voyager, #6)
  • Ghost of a Chance (Star Trek: Voyager, #7)
  • Cybersong (Star Trek Voyager, #8)
  • The Final Fury (Star Trek Voyager, #9; Invasion, Book 4)
  • Bless the Beasts (Star Trek Voyager, #10)
Full Circle (Star Trek: Voyager) Star Trek: Voyager: Children of the Storm Star Trek: Voyager: The Eternal Tide Fusion (Star Trek Voyager: String Theory, #2) Protectors (Star Trek: Voyager)