Start by marking “Bad Men (Orang-Orang Jahat)” as Want to Read:
Bad Men (Orang-Orang Jahat)

Bad Men (Orang-Orang Jahat)

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  2,661 ratings  ·  165 reviews
BAD MEN

On the Maine island once known as Sanctuary, policeman Joe Dupree is the guardian of its secrets, keeper of its memories. He knows that Sanctuary had been steeped in carnage once, centuries ago, when its settlers were betrayed to their enemies and slaughtered. Now, a strange, otherworldly evil is about to descend again....With rookie officer Sharon Macy, Joe stan

Published January 2009 by PT Gramedia Pustaka Utama (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Bad Men, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bad Men

Bandit
Exceptional as one might come to expect from Connolly, this is actually a semi stand alone book, although still set in Maine, it does tie into the Charlie Parker series and features a couple of cameo appearances by Parker himself. This thriller had plenty of action and a fair share of supernatural elements in addition to great writing, as always. I think what sets Connolly's books apart and well above the rest is his ability to write characters, the subtle terrifying evil of the titular ones and ...more
Bunga Mawar
3.5 bintang untuk karya John Connolly ini. Saya selalu suka kisah di mana aksi2 berlangsung cepat. Apalagi ada cerita hantunya. Jadi kebayang kalau dibuat filmnya. Membuat saya bernyanyi2 sendiri...

Engkau jagoanku (Betmeeen...)
Engkau idolaku (Betmeeen...)
Aku suka kamu (Betmeeen...)
Kau penumpas kejahatan
dan pembela keadilan
gagah perkasa
(Betmeeen...)

Sayang aku masih kecil
Tapi kau membuat aku
Ingin cepat dewasa
... (lupa)
Dan setelah aku tamat sekolah
Kuingin jadi betmeeen... betmeeen...
betmeeen... b
Ms. Nikki
Bad Men was thoroughly engaging from the first page until the last.
There really weren't very many moments that let up from an unrelenting pace driving us to a final showdown of human vs the supernatural; both equally determined to come out on top.

The villain of this read, Moloch, was steadfast in his goal of obtaining his wife and dishing out his brand of vengeance along the way. I felt that things never really varied and that there was no real conflict put in his path to at least make him stumb
Kimberly
I can honestly say that I have never read a "bad" or even "mediocre" book by John Connolly, to date. BAD MEN is a stand alone novel (although Charlie Parker does make a couple of cameo appearances). A group of ruthless men are on the hunt for a woman who betrayed her husband, their "leader". Throughout the entire tale is an underlying supernatural story of a massacre that happened on the island centuries before....in fact, the characters brought back to the island now seem to share an uncanny li ...more
Katie
I love John Connolly, but I think I might have to stop reading his books. It shouldn't come as a shock to me every time I crack open the pages of a Connolly book and read something so horrifying that my brain can't process it. 80% of the time I am reading one of his books, my heart is racing and, 100% of the time, all of the lights in my apartment are on.

This book is similar to Connolly's Charlie Parker books (Parker even makes a cameo appearance), and it had the same dark feel and supernatural
Ordinary Dahlia
Baca buku ini sensasinya seperti ini: Suasana yang menipu, tenang tapi mencekam...tenang mencekam...tenang mencekam...oke, mungkin kita bisa nyambi minum jus lemon dengan hiasan payung kecil di gelas dulu...baca komik...tidur siang...waks! kembali suasana menjadi tenang mencekam...tenang mencekam dan DUAARRR!!! BADAAAAAAAAAI...
Pyuuuh...*ngelap keringat* akhirnya!

Dan Review g tetep :

Oh, N O ! ! !

Hahah!

Thx buat penghuni radal atas pinjaman bukunya!
Patrick Gibson
This is my first Connolly novel. I know he is a popular mystery writer—just look at his wall of books at Borders—but I didn’t know what to expect. To my surprise I found his writing to be articulate and beautifully detailed. I was also surprised at the intense level of violence. Not shocked, mind you, Chuck Palahniuk is one of my favorite writers, so this has a long way to go before ever reaching ‘shock’ level. It was just the sheer bravura of death and destruction that caught me off guard.

I hav
Luis A. Vidorreta
No es Charlie Parker. La novela en sí está bien. Tiene todos los elementos de Connolly y guarda su estilo de escritura. Pero aún le falta algo. Quizás si no conoces a Parker y fuera la primera obra de Connolly que lees, se lleve más puntos. Aún así la he disfrutado.
Bill
Moloch dreams. Dreams of a slaughter. Dreams of a Sanctuary, that is anything but. A place with a history of violence. A place with a future of violence.

Marianne dreams, as well. Dreams of running. Dreams of being chased by her past. Dreams of escape.

It is all going to come together on the island, where there are forces greater than either of them can imagine that have awakened and are hungry. Hungry for vengeance.

John Connolly does it again with another excellent supernatural thriller. This one
J.F. Penn
An island with a bloody history that echoes in the present. As violent men come closer to the Sanctuary, supernatural forces start to emerge on the island. A woman with a child, defended by a giant with his own roots in the past. On the edge of horror, I love John Connolly :)
Andrew
Ok I will put my hand up and admit that this was a real page turner for me. I started it yesterday and rapidly was drawn in to the story so much so that I wound up reading it to the very end and I would not stop till I had - and it's been a while since I have felt that way about a book.
Ok the story is quite a simple one - historic tragedy - restless souls - modern day repeat of events - restless souls rise once more. Ok so why the high praise if that is basically it - well I think this book was
Rebecca
Bad Men equals bad plot, bad writing and bad characters.

I really wanted to like this book but, half way through it, I started getting uneasy. The story was confusing, head hopping between dozens of different characters, many of whom were so flat out crazy it wasn't possible to believe that people this sick could walk down a street without sending every dog into complete freak out mode. The paranormal stuff wasn't adding up and made even less as the book progressed.

Six sociopaths, including one c
Oscar
En el año 1693, en la pequeña isla Santuario, junto a la costa de Maine, unos colonos fueron cruelmente masacrados. Con el transcurrir de los años, esta isla se ha ido repoblando, pasando por una época pacífica. Ahora, trescientos años después de aquellos hechos, la isla volverá a ser asolada por una banda de asesinos que andan tras la pista de una mujer y su hijo pequeño. Aunque tal vez sea la propia isla la que los atrae hacia sí, buscando satisfacción. Y es que las presencias sobrenaturales q ...more
Achmad F Nurghani
Di sebuah penjara. Moloch selalu memimpikan hal yang sama: ia memimpin sekelompok orang menuju sebuah pulau, membantai pemukim di pulau itu. Adegan yang ia mimpikan seolah nyata. Namun, adegan yang ia mimpikan adalah kejadian 300 tahun yang lalu. Adegan itu memang nyata dan menjadi sejarah terkelam yang dimiliki oleh sebuah pulau bernama Dutch, atau orang-orang pulau itu lebih suka menyebutnya Suaka.
Ketika ia dibebaskan dari penjara oleh sekelompok orang jahat, ia memiliki satu obsesi: membalas
Scott Rhee
Dutch Island, also called Sanctuary Island, off the coast of Maine is a small tight-knit community. Police Officer Joe Dupree is the law enforcement on the island. The worst violations he ever sees are teenagers breaking curfew and the harmless antics of the town drunk. He likes the relative peace and quiet, because he is one of the few that knows the dark history of the island, of the incident in 1693 in which the original settlers of Dutch Island were brutally raped, tortured, and murdered by ...more
Buck Weiss
Connonlly is a poet in the body of a damn good crime writer. This is one of the best books I've read in a long time and I think I'm going to dedicate the first part of 2011 to reading everything of his I can get my hands on.

Hi characters are fleshed out with just the right mix of action and backstory that the whole book feels like an ensemble piece. His "Bad Men" reminded me of the those low-down bastards that makes Brian Azzarello's 100 Bullets such an kick in the pants series. Their quick wit
Amanda
I didn't really care for this book. Something about this present tense style just sets me off. Plus there was just too much mystery enshrouding everything. I feel like each character should slowly unwrap themselves as the book goes along, and the constant enigma thing annoyed me after a while. Sure, their backstories developed, but I had no sense of the characters themselves...only what they came from, which is not the same at all. Plus, I find this theme of disconnectedness disturbing. I feel l ...more
martin
Connolly's books often inspire very visual images and at times I feel like I have somehow seem a film of the book (or am reading the book of the film). This is one example where he delights in descriptive passages that bring the story alive.

As with some of his other novels, he entwines the supernatural with the unnaturally evil. Calling the chief bad guy Molloch is another of the biblical / devil references he seems to love.

The ending (or most of it) is never much in doubt. In fact it's fairly
Scribal
Although I've read most of the Charlie Parker novels, I think this book is my favorite by John Connolly so far. Perhaps because the story is bounded by the island. Perhaps because it's bounded by time. I mean it's a story with a beginning, middle and end. If you've read the Charlie Parker novels you know they all kind of start somewhere else and never quite resolve. If you'd like to sample a stand-alone John Connolly that's less brutal than some others, I recommend this one.
Dorothy
The amazon reviews were pretty positive for this and warned of its violence and how it's not for the faint of heart. I didn't think it was all that violent. In fact I thought it would abruptly change scenes when something bad was about to go down and that was frustrating. Not that I want tons of gore but it felt like a cop out. I picked this up for light summer reading and it was that for sure.
Jodi
4.25 Stars This book is a stand alone, although Charlie Parker does make a brief cameo appearance, set primarily on an island off the coast of Portland. The island has a small community of year long inhabitants. The island has a violent history. Joe Dupree and his family are a part of that history. His father was the main police officer on the island, as Joe is now. Joe's father passed the history of the island on to Joe. Only a few remaining inhabitants understand that history. Marianne Elliott ...more
sinta nisfuanna
Perpaduan antara mistik dan misteri. Alurnya terasa kalem tapi menghentak (gimana ya jelasinnya?!) Sedikit sama dengan #SekantongTulang, yaitu adanya masa lalu kelam yang membuat sebuah tempat "marah" tapi #OrangOrangJahat memiliki lebih banyak kompleksitas (deuh) tokoh. Intinya rekomendasi untuk penyuka thriller.
Deanna
I only made it to page 123 of this book before finally giving up. I just didn't care about the story. I found it rambled on and on about stuff I didn't care about, and my mind would wander while reading so I didn't know what was going on. I don't feel I'm missing out on anything by not finishing this one.
Marc Pastor
En la línia de Connolly, un gran relat negre amb tocs de fantaterror. Potser l'única pega és meva: havia cregut que la història transcorria al segle XVII i passa a l'actualitat. Esperava més càrrega de bruixes i fantasmes i sí, n'hi ha, però la història tira per una altra banda.
Cindy
The 1st time i read a book from this writer. "Bad Men" ..

The title first.

- the french title ( mine) talks about the very old colonial people who were murdered in 1693.
The ghosts in this story. They are important in that story => If they weren't there, no actions in here.

- Bad Men (original title): as says Richie are the Moloch and his band ... they are bad men.

or .. i have another idea: Marianne and Moloch (from now) are .. Mmmhh how to say => The current "souls' from the murderer and his
Melissa
Reading this book was like reading an exercise in imitating Stephen King,even to the Maine setting. It was okay---diverting enough but certainly could not match King even at his worst.
Mientras Leo
Fiel a si estilo sigue en esa fina línea entre lo humano y lo sobrenatural sin salirse de la novela negra. Un gran final, pero reconozco que me hubieran gustado más páginas
Abdulhussain Buildingwala
Okay the beginning of the book was more like a beginning of a hollywood thriller movie the amount of characters were spaced through different places in the same timeline the added spice of supernatural force was aptly placed but what i realy disliked about this book was how it ended and as the author took the intensity of the climax to a very high level and just dropped by killing abruptly a main character and getting no rational connection with the previous life and present life of the moloch i ...more
Nieves Batista
Hubiera preferido otro final, aunque pienso que el que tiene no desmerece lo anterior. Me ha encantado.
Richard
utterly forgettable sadism
Horror Aficionados : Bad Men by John Connolly 41 60 May 19, 2014 04:56AM
  • The Hunter: A Detective Takako Otomichi Mystery
  • Bad Things
  • The Upright Man
  • Testament
  • Candlemoth
  • Lifeless (Tom Thorne, #5)
  • A Matter of Blood (The Dog-Faced Gods, #1)
  • A Garden Of Vipers (Carson Ryder, #3)
  • The Guardians
  • A Blind Eye (Frank Corso, #3)
  • Headstone City
  • Dark Homecoming
  • A Crown of Lights (Merrily Watkins, #3)
  • Let It Bleed (Inspector Rebus, #7)
John Connolly was born in Dublin, Ireland in 1968 and has, at various points in his life, worked as a journalist, a barman, a local government official, a waiter and a dogsbody at Harrods department store in London. He studied English in Trinity College, Dublin and journalism at Dublin City University, subsequently spending five years working as a freelance journalist for The Irish Times newspaper ...more
More about John Connolly...
The Book of Lost Things Every Dead Thing (Charlie Parker, #1) The Gates (Samuel Johnson, #1) The Killing Kind (Charlie Parker, #3) Dark Hollow (Charlie Parker, #2)

“The child's face is close to her own now, but there is still no detail. It is a blur, a watercolor painting left out in the rain, the shades running, blending into one another. Only the eyes remain clear; black and hungry, jealous of life. ” 4 likes