Start by marking “The Girl on the Dock: A Dark Fairy Tale (James Potter, #2.5)” as Want to Read:
The Girl on the Dock: A Dark Fairy Tale (James Potter,  #2.5)

The Girl on the Dock: A Dark Fairy Tale (James Potter #2.5)

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  876 ratings  ·  104 reviews
Returning to the home of her grandfather after her final school year, Petra Morganstern is a changed young witch. Confident in her recent choices, yet plagued by dreams of what they cost her, Petra is unsure what to do with the rest of her life. Petra's one ray of hope is her young step-sister, Izabella, whose simple-minded charm is only offset by the awful Phyllis, her ha ...more
Published November 18th 2008 by Booksurge Publishing (first published October 25th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Girl on the Dock, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Girl on the Dock

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingThe Fault in Our Stars by John GreenThe Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsHarry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. Rowling
Read Up All Night
63rd out of 171 books — 76 voters
Table 21 by T. Rafael CiminoGone with the Wind by Margaret MitchellGraceling by Kristin CashoreCatching Fire by Suzanne CollinsThe Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
I wanta own these books
58th out of 95 books — 11 voters

More lists with this book...

Hester Pryne
Without giving away too much of the story line for those who have yet to finish, there are several things I'd like to say.

Mr. Lippert knows how to write evil.... Phyllis is a particularly nasty piece of business. We dislike her from the beginning....intensely. And we then start to hate her. We loathe what she has done to Warren; despise what she is doing to her daughter.....we pray that something really, really bad happens to her....soon. We are marginally annoyed that the outcome wasn't worse
Brent
I had never intended to read this book, but as many consider it to be James Potter 2.5, I decided I'd give it a go before going into book three of that series. While I'm not entirely thrilled with the book, I am glad I read it. Centering on the character of Petra Morganstern, it follows Petra in the summer since book two of the James Potter series ended. Not "officially" part of the series - the author was able to charge for this book (a very meager cost of three dollars) that I was happy to pay ...more
Marizabeth
A supplement to Lippert's "James Potter" series, this novel revolves solely around Petra Morganstern, a recent Hogwarts graduate and James' fellow Gryffindor housemate.

Firstly, this novel was actually published and is NOT of the free series. It does not include any of the official names or places that appeared in Rowling's works. They are alluded to, but not named (intellectual property laws and all that).

The story takes us to the Morganstern farm, where Petra lives with her Grandfather Warren,
Kristi
Often referred to as Book 2.5 in the James Potter series, The Girl on the Dock is the story of Petra Morganstern, a recent Hogwarts graduate still reeling from a terrible choice between good and evil. Petra returns to her grandfather's home to her sweet stepsister Izzy and her wicked stepgrandmother Phyllis. As Phyllis plans to send Izzy away, Petra struggles with the consequences of her choice, with everything coming to a head on the eve of Izzy's departure. Cleverly, Lippert manages to write t ...more
Shaina Neal
This was a really quick and enthralling read. Lippert takes the character of Petra Morganson and delves deeper into who she is. I am excited to see how powerful she can become. The introduction of the little sister also provided the reader with a little more understanding of who Petra is.

I give the author many kudos for keeping me guessing throughout the book. I am almost NEVER surprised by the endings of movies or books, and while I knew what Petra would ultimately choose, I enjoyed the guess
Martha
First, I don't agree that this could be a stand-alone simply because there's so much information gap for a reader not to look for answers. Unlike other open-ended stories, this one depends too much on a past story and a different world that HP and JP fans already know of. On the other hand, I do understand why it is said to be a stand-alone. I believe it's because the story gives light to the other characters in the series. It is a good branch of the story. It goes to show there's always a story ...more
Hope
The Girl on the Dock is Petra Morganstern from Lippert's James Potter series. She is no doubt a troubled young girl, and this is her sad, dark story. I read this in preparation for the third James Potter installment, and I am glad I did. I wish now that J.K. Rowling had written side stories on each of the original Harry Potter characters!

This is a short side story, but definitely enchanting on its own or between the 2nd and 3rd books. Enjoy.
ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ
This is a very good story. If you liked the authors James Potter stories (Harry Potter fanfic) than you'll like this. This is like James Potter 2 1/2. The story takes place after Petra graduates from Hogwarts, right after the second JP book ends, and before JP3 will start.

The story is on available right now from lulu.com or amazon.com. It's well worth the price to read the story. Lulu.com also offers an ebook version to download.
Lady Belinda
After having read the first 2 books in the James Potter series, I was going to just continue on to the 3rd. Instead I decided to read Petra's story before going on to the 3rd. I am so very glad that I did. This 'dark fairy tale,' as its called, was great. Excellent writing. I am hoping that Petra's story will continue on, she is truely a complex character that deserves attention.
Nikki
It seems appropriate to call this a dark fairy tale; I think I'm still reeling a bit from the ending.
Book'd
Nov 22, 2012 Book'd rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fantasy-readers
Shelves: owned, 2012, fic-fan
Well, I wasn't charmed with this one unlike the other three books of James Potter Series by Norman Lippert.

The story revolves around Petra Morganstern. A witch and classmate of James Potters at Hogwarts. After finishing her schooling she has come back to her grand parents home.

Her parents have died long back(so is what Lippert portrays) and has had a rather rough childhood.
Staying with her step-grandmother, Petra has a tough life so to be called with not being permitted to use her magical skill
Suzanne
I bought this book and read it before I started the third book in the James Potter series. This story was not as good as the first two James Potter books. I did not feel that Lippert successfully laid the groundwork for the ending he created. There wasn't enough character development or evidence for the main character to act the way she did in the end. I did not like the direction the author took with the main character Petra. I really hated what happened in the end. ***Spoiler Alert****I'm glad ...more
Michelle Mcroberts
I rated this a 3 primarily for its role in advancing the plot of the James Potter series, and not for the book in and of itself...Not that I didn't like the story, I did...except for the end...

I had really hoped this book would be more of a stand-alone dark fairy-tale that only peripherally touched Lippert's James Potter series. However, I felt it was totally a vehicle for advancing the James Potter plot, and it did so in such a way to take it to a far darker place than I would have liked it to
Joshua
Before reading this, I was on my journey through the James Potter universe, created superbly by G. Norman Lippert. I finished reading the second book, and was ready to move on to the third one, but my pace was halted by an opening message from the author in the third book. While not necessary, this book was supposed to provide the readers with better grasp of the plot of the third book. I decided to read it because I was not ready to start without having a gap in my knowledge.
In truth, I was no
Janall
I Enjoyed this novella. Petra leave Hogwarts and retuns "home" a world of meanness and apathy. Her one bright light is her step sister- Izzy. Kind, gentle and forgiving, if simple minded. Petra knows that something terrible lives inside her. in the last book she chose good, but questions if that was really her choice or was she being manipulated by good, as she was by dark. This time the choice will be hers.
Lynne Page
What an amazing spin-off story. While there are connections to Lippert's other works, this is a stand alone that will make you grip the edge of your seat, wondering what will happen next.

While it would mean so much more if you've read his other work, the characters are unique and well described all on their own.

A riveting piece of fiction, that I would recommend to anyone who believes in a little magic.
Jody
Another book in the collection of James Potters adventures, this time focusing on a character not created by JK Rowling. Petra Morganstern gets thus story all to herself.
I loved reading this short novella that tells the story of a powerful girl coming to terms with her life and unusual powers.
I look forward to the next story! These books are just as great at the original Harry Potters!
Arni Vidar Bjorgvinsson
A very interesting side-story to the James Potter series, and definitely a must read for any fan.
Taking place between the second and third James Potter books, this significantly darker story creates a backdrop that promises excellent reading in the James Potter books to come. Too bad there's currently only one book left :(
Christine Lussier
Dark fairy tale, yes. Story of Petra &explanation of what she returned home to. The story is short, but now that I am a few pages into the 3rd James Potter, I'd say to be sure to read it between books 2 & 3.
Carol
I did enjoy this, but not as much as the James Potter trilogy. In this story we find out what happened to Petra's stepmother and grandfather. I think this may be best read inbetween the James Potter books.
Mary
Great standalone story - love the way he has taken the Harry Potter story and added some great ideas and new story lines for the next generation and made it his own, especially with Petra and Merlin's stories.
Living Audio C.I.C.
The unabridged audiobook of The Girl on the Dock by G Norman Lippert will be available December 2014 from Living Audio. Follow @LivingAudio247 on Twitter for the latest news.
Rabbi Rosenberg
Great story. I loved the further background and story on Petra. I was glad to see them Gremlins come to her aide and I appreciated her internal struggle.
Jessica Salt
I really want to read this book on Petra Morganster. I am excised to start reading it soon. I know her story is going to be way different from James Potter. I know she is one of the characters from your James Potter series. She is the girl James Sirius Potter has a huge crush on at Hogwarts.

The book now is really good. I am enjoying the story so far really good. The story about former Hogwarts stuident Petra Morganstern. The story about a girl who now lives with her grandfater and step grandma,
Wendy
This was written in a slightly different style from the James Potter books, and I didn't enjoy it quite as much. (view spoiler) ...more
Professor Paul
nice story... fact dat sir lippert wrote this entire story without even mentioning hary or hogwarts is really commendable. i was touched by the story, however i dont know if a reader with no knowledge of james potter series will enjoy this book or not.
Simiansays
I read this book in a little over two hours!!! great reading!!!. It's not HP or JP. Its subject matter is the humanity of a powerful sorceress, the only one to be born in a thousand years, with an unquestionably great deal of compassion, versus a twisted fragment of her soul that is the powerful remnants of another type of Horcrux left by The Dark Lord Voldemort. If you can imagine...this can easily turn into a scary ride, far more frightening and permeating than HP ever was. Not to discredit HP ...more
Michelle Randall

This is only the second book published bye. Lippert that is not in the fan fiction genre. This book tells the story of what happens to Petra Morganstern after the finish of the second James Potter book and before the start of the third book.

I found the book to be short but well written and enjoyable. We learned more about Petra, saw her wrestle with her own mind again and found her once again choose what is good and right.

I have enjoyed Mr. Lipperts work and continue to be fans of his James Pot
Carla.Simoes Simoes
é uma historia gira e da para perceber um pouquinho mais como é a vida e as escolhas da petra, ela foi uma personagem bastante importante no 2º livro e ter a oportunidade de descobrir o que lhe acontece depois de ela abandonar a escola é bom.
Michael Burhans
As with the others in the series, not as good as Rowling's work, but fun and a nice revisit to the world of Potter.
  • James Potter and The Bolt of Ages (James Potter Project #1)
  • Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality
  • Harry Potter and the Psychic Serpent
  • Repotting Harry Potter: A Professor's Book-by-Book Guide for the Serious Re-Reader
  • The Family Bones
  • Divided against Yourselves
  • The Deathly Hallows Lectures: The Hogwarts Professor Explains the Final Harry Potter Adventure
  • Stoned Souls (SERRAted Edge, #5)
  • Women of the West II: They Called Her Mrs Doc / The Measure of a Heart / A Bride for Donnigan / Heart of the Wilderness
  • iDrakula
  • The House of Windjammer (Windjammer, #1)
  • With Love and Laughter, John Ritter
  • Mark of the Centipede (Timeshifters Journey 1)
  • The Key Is Love: My Mother's Wisdom, A Daughter's Gratitude
  • Tyler's Story (Tales of Quelondain)
  • The Year's Best Fantasy and Horror: Tenth Annual Collection
  • Ashes (The Gray Area, #1)
  • The Witch Collector Part I
James Potter and the Hall of Elders' Crossing (James Potter, #1) James Potter and the Curse of the Gate Keeper (James Potter, #2) James Potter and the Vault of Destinies (James Potter, #3) James Potter and The Morrigan Web (James Potter, #4) Harry's First Christmas