Mexican Heat (Crimes & Cocktails, #1)

Mexican Heat (Crimes & Cocktails #1)

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  2,718 ratings  ·  244 reviews
In this town, danger moves to a steamy Latin beat. SFPD detective Gabriel Sandalini might as well have put a gun to his own head. One red-hot sexual encounter in a bar’s back room has put two years of deep undercover work in jeopardy—two years of danger and deception as he worked his way into crime boss Ricco Botelli’s inner circle. Gabriel can’t afford emotional entanglem...more
Published February 6th 2009 by Samhain Publishing (first published October 26th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Mexican Heat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mexican Heat

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter
REVIEW COMPLETED JULY 28, 2012

"You are an angelic demon. Beautiful on the outside. Passion, rage, and chaos on the inside. You burn my heart. You have since that first night. You haunt my dreams and when you (view spoiler)

Photobucket

Loved Part I!! Mexican Heat was on its way to a five-star rating when I hit Part II and the sugar factor.

SFPD undercover detective Gabriel Sandalini has scored a long-term gig as one of Ricco Botelli's h...more
Sheziss

Yes, the characters DO know ENGLISH.

No, NOBODY here knows SPANISH. In fact, this book is an INSULT to the Spanish language.

Part of my negative opinion of this book is because of the novel itself but I can't deny that the bad use of my mother language was determining for my bad rating. Oh, I translated the sentences for better understanding by non-native speakers. But first, I must talk about the story.

*******************************************************

It's a book everybody seems to love, but...more
SheReadsALot
Oh boy.

This is my first time reading from either of these authors (Yes, I know. What rock have been hiding under? Lemme alone) So I'm not sure if this was their better work or worst. Mexican Heat isn't horrible but there are flaws. Well to me anyway.

I'm not sure if each author chose a half to write and tried to blend it together because it's definitely reading like 2 separate books trying to meld. The first half I thought was rougher than the second half. Especially after the main character's fi...more
Isaac
This book was complete garbage. Had been written by anyone else, I would perhaps have given it 2 stars, maybe even 2.5, but because it was written by two, yes two authors that should've known better, I'm going to be brutal.

The set up is your typical Lanyon cop stuff, though for once, he hasn't made on of the characters a writer, and some of the FBI stuff is pretty cool, but the first half of the book is seriously let don by some piss poor editing.

On one page, Gabriel reacts to Miguel calling him...more
ElaineY
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
REVIEW OF AUDIOBOOK JULY 10, 2013: 3 STARS
I'm going to dnf this because I can't bear a book I loved so much in print ending up so blah in audio! The only reason I can come up with for not liking it is the narration.

It's Jim Bowie again and while he sounds different and I prefer his enunciation here, the audio production is not very good. It has a very small vibration which, while making the narrator's voice slightly gravelly,...more
Susan

I had no idea this was a Josh Lanyon book...until the end. As much as I like his books, I hate every single ending. It's always like we were in the middle of a scene or a paragraph and...I turn the page and get the "About the Author" page. The first few times I thought my kindle was broken. Would it KILL you to give us a The End, Mr. Lanyon? Sheesh! (*shakes fist in air*) :)

Ok, with that off my chest, the book was really entertaining were it not for the one storm cloud overhead: the fact that it...more

”Beautiful on the outside. Passion, rage, and chaos on the inside.”

Mexican Heat is a story with two halves. Different worlds each with their own dangers. The first part of this journey captures the suspense, heat, and danger of life in a crime family with a dark, sexy energy. A dangerous game filled with hidden secrets and emotions that could get one killed. Crime bosses, undercover assignments, guns, drugs, violence, struggles for control, and lust rule the pages. I could feel the coiled tensio...more
Buggy
Opening Line: "He sauntered past the two shirtless, muscle-bound bouncers, the C-note he slipped the man on his right earning his passage through Club Madrone's front door--and a quick grope over his ass."

This was some damn fine M/M romantic suspense, however I’d have to admit that I struggled a bit with the first 'part' of Mexican Heat, being more of a romantic and not really into the whole Scarface gangster aspect. (Yeah I kept picturing Tony Montana’s world) This is a great action adventure t...more
Christina

Part One: Loved it! There's not one thing I would change. Sadly, I can't say the same about Part Two. First, I think the POV should have stayed with Gabriel. I got a pretty good understanding of what he was going through but not enough for my liking. This was such a pivotal point in Gabriel’s life so I wanted to experience it with him. I didn’t think we learned anything from having the story from Antonio’s perspective. It was the same emotions over and over again.

Also, the story took a...more
DarienMoya
^^MUY PICANTE!^^

More of my reviews and writings at PANTS OFF REVIEWS

What a treat this book was, a first for me by both authors and I really liked their gritty writing style. The cover is ridiculously sexy and that alone was one of the reasons, why this book was calling me to do a little pants losing. It was like reading a classic crime/mob book, filled with drugs and sexy men who know how to carry a gun.

Gabriel Sandalini is an undercover cop, deep in the drug trade. All he needs is a little mor...more
Heather C

I really enjoyed this book. It had lots of gun fighting and danger and sexual tension! Doesn't all that compliment each other perfectly?! It does become very romantic towards the end. And I loved both of the main characters!

On the other hand, this didn't feel like one of the usual Lanyon novels. Maybe that was a lot to do with Baumbach's influence? I really don't know because I haven't read any if her other work. If she does plan to write more books in this series, I will continue to re...more
Sandy
Really probably more like 4.5 stars

I really liked it. The sex scenes were very hot, erotic and well done. There was a lot of chemistry between the two guys, Gabriel and Antonio. There were also some pretty heart breaking moments, too. The mob/drug cartel stuff wasn't that thrilling to me which is why I'd only give it 4.5. It just isn't my thing. But I really enjoyed reading what these guys went through and am looking forward to the next in the series (which I hear should come out at the end of 2...more
Trisha Harrington
Kelly Maybedog
Started out rough but quickly turned into a good action romance, with that hurt/comfort vibe which I love. The romance took an appropriate while to develop although it then progressed very quickly.

Also had a lot of danger and near-death stuff. I always like that in a book. I think that says something not so good about me.... If anyone knows of other M/M books that have a lot of danger/action/near-death, comment in the notes!

There were several sex scenes and they were so steamy I was afraid my e...more
Jenni Lea
This book started off with a bang (pun so intended), shortly followed with a bang of a different sort (I’m on a roll!) but then it petered off a bit and I was left waiting…

But then they went to Mexico and the book got a lot more interesting. Then there was the Secret Revealed then the Big Showdown immediately followed by the Great Sadness. Then the book took a left turn and started off in an entirely new direction.

If I didn’t find out right before I read this book that it was co-authored, I woul...more
DaisyGirl
1.5 Stars

I'm going out on the limb again: I did not like this book. Eek! *ducks* The characters - especially Gabriel - irked the sh*t out of me.

Gabriel was a self-absorbed, acerbic a$$hole who was reckless and immature. It was hard for me to believe that he was this bad ass undercover cop when he said and did things that made him seem so incompetent. Like asking a drug lord why he didn't take a bigger cut of the profits ... are you sh*tting me?!?

But what really put a knot in my thong? Gabriel wa...more
Beanbag Love
This was a great m/m action/thriller/romance. Written by two authors, one of whom I'm a major fan, it was extremely satisfying in all areas. The suspense was powerful, the romance arc was poignant, and the overall story was engaging enough to keep me up way past my bedtime to finish it.

I'm not sure what I expected from this story, but it surprised me with its gritty realism contrasted with its surprisingly tender romance. It succeeded in all aspects of the genre.
Barks & Bites
Listening on audio and the narrator is just not suited for this story about drug cartels and tough guys. He's dry, soft-spoken, a bit monotonous, speaks with lots of pauses and "reading" too much of the story instead of acting and his falsetto, OMG please pass me some cotton for my bleeding ears. I keep picturing a well groomed, sweater vested, sweet little man reading this to me and it's distracting especially when he reads the dirty sex bits. I will persevere, however, because I enjoy self-tor...more
Kassa
When two high profile and award winning authors collaborate on a book there is going to be significant buzz surrounding the outcome and for “Mexican Heat” this was no different. I’ve been reading rave review after rave review on this book since the print release and that’s only continued for the electronic release. Of course I read it later because I’m just slow that way but I expected a solid offering from two authors with great writing ability and thankfully that was exactly what I received. T...more
Awilk -never sleeps-
4.5 Stars

This should of been a five star book but the non-ending really annoyed me. It only needed a few more pages and I would of been so much happier.

The story is done in two parts. Part one was full of drama and intrigue, as we followed the two MC in the middle of drug lords working together to import and sell their products. So well done I couldn't stop reading.

Part two was watching the men try and recover from the aftermath of being undercover for so long and learning how to deal with the t...more
Vio
4.5 Stars
Loved and adored this couple, a great crime/thriller which wowed me. Hot, to die for action, erotic loveliness in all its glory. Gabriel and Antonio are awesome together and yep that chemistry is wild and sexy. Gabriel is way to smart for his own good, brash and foolish. I loved him warts and all, then there's Antonio, the sweetheart loves Gabriel so much, dreamy love. I find a lot of these older m/m romances have a lot more going for them than the more recent books that seem to be floo...more
Lenore
This was my second Josh Lanyon, but I won't compare it with Fair Game (the first book I read by him) because it was co-authored and I can't say which writer wrote which parts.

Overall, it was tight and well-paced. People warned me about the story getting sappy and overly dramatic after the 50% mark and they were right, but like I said in one of my status updates, my tolerance to sappiness and drama is pretty high.

My biggest issue with the story was the bad Spanish used throughout the book. It was...more
Brenda (b)
A great story with 2 distinct parts before the drug bust and after it. I felt the story and characters were well written. I was kept reading by a need to find out if Gabriel and Antonio were going to be able to work things out together. I'll definitely be looking forward to next installment in this series.
Emanuela ~plastic duck~
Feb 14, 2011 Emanuela ~plastic duck~ rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Emanuela ~plastic duck~ by: Moderatrix Lori
Ami
Smith Barney
And this is a good example of why dual authorship doesn't work for me, as 98% of them are such flimsy over-the-top tromps-of-tardation..they are such a turn-off..I won't even read either writer's solo work after.

There's an opening sex scene in this that is just soo beyond lame..

I can't fathom 'any writer' agreeing to co-author & release this kind of dime-store-floozy-cheeze-material without using a new pen name.

It's just that bad.

This Review sums it up in a nutsack for me.
Emma Sea
Oooh; angsty, hurty, undercovery, sensual goodness with guns, alcohol, and a beach house!

♆ BookAddict ~ La Crimson Femme
This was a hard one for me. I ended up with a 3 star only because of one sex scene. I loved the espera game. That was sexy and hot for me. I also felt Antonio was a great guy. I liked him. The undercover cop (whom I can't remember his name) didn't do much for me. I didn't really feel sympathy for him and sadly, I didn't care about him. What happened I understand is bad, but I didn't give a damn. This is generally not a good sign for me. I actually was going to rate this book a 2 star and about 1...more
Wendy (wluvsbooks)
Ummm, WOW, this book is very appropriately named in more ways than one! At first, I truly wondered whether I'd be able to get into it. The intro seemed confusing with a number of different character names being tossed out. But, holy cow, am I glad I kept going! Shortly thereafter, I did not want to put this book down. The story just sucked me in and kept me on the edge of my seat, and the main characters, oh man, I adored these men - every ounce of spitfire and Spanish charm!! One sex scene in p...more
Heather
I liked it a lot.

It was fun, hot and kept me quite entertained.
Part one was by far my favorite. That first meeting was hot. Oh gosh. I wanted to blush for them when they meet again.

Part two would have been better if Antonio would of stayed closer to his undercover character personality wise. We fall in love with his domineering quick passionate whit. But, we get a softer guy who is all sunshine and rainbows. He has a whole personality make over. Which is okay, personally I just preferred the...more
Zip file - now what? 3 24 May 27, 2014 03:34AM
The Challenge Fac...: Ezi & Zuzana - Mexican Heat 27 16 Feb 07, 2014 02:25PM
  • The White Knight  (The Dark Horse, #2)
  • L.A. Heat (L.A., #1)
  • Life Lessons (Life Lessons, #1)
  • Shades of Gray
  • All or Nothing (Taking the Odds, #3)
  • GhosTV (PsyCop, #6)
  • The Slayer's Apprentice
Laura Baumbach is the best-selling, multi-award winning, acclaimed author of short stories, novellas, novels and screenplays. Most recently, Mexican Heat, written in collaboration with Josh Lanyon, has been chosen as a FINALIST for Best Gay Romance in the 2009 Lambda Literary Awards, a FINALIST in the 2010 EPPIE Awards, and has received an Honorable Mention at the 2009 San Francisco Book Festival....more
More about Laura Baumbach...
A Bit of Rough (Rough, #1) Roughhousing (Rough, #2) Details of the Hunt (Details, #1) Out There in the Night (Out There, #1) The Ties That Bind

“Let go, gatito. Mourn and then move on. Your life is not over. Not by any means. So let the tears fall for the past and then we will speak of the future.” 9 likes