Start by marking “Pilgrims of Christ on the Muslim Road: Exploring a New Path Between Two Faiths” as Want to Read:
Pilgrims of Christ on the Muslim Road: Exploring a New Path Between Two Faiths

Pilgrims of Christ on the Muslim Road: Exploring a New Path Between Two Faiths

For publicity events and speaking engagements, see http: //www.paulgordonchandler.com/schedule.htm. Today's tensions between the 'Islamic' East and 'Christian' West run high. Here Paul-Gordon Chandler presents fresh thinking in the area of Christian-Muslim relations, showing how Christ_whom Islam reveres as a Prophet and Christianity worships as the divine Messiah_can clos ...more
Published November 16th 2008 by Rowman & Littlefield Publishers (first published September 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Pilgrims of Christ on the Muslim Road, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pilgrims of Christ on the Muslim Road

M Christopher
This is not a brilliant book but it is an important story of a man dealing with critical concepts for hopes for peace in our religiously divisive times. The subject of the book is Mazhar Mallouhi, a Syrian Muslim who became a pilgrim of Christ. Paul-Gordon Chandler is less a biographer and more a disciple (not that there's anything wrong with that) who tells Mallouhi's story clearly and honestly (his struggles, such as his first, unsuccessful marriage and his occasional bitterness toward both Go ...more
Jessie
Sep 06, 2010 Jessie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: love
This book is amazing. If you are a Christian and want to deepen your walk with Christ or minister to Muslims then this book is for you. It discusses the roots behind the distrust of Muslims toward Western Christians and shows how it is possible for Muslims to find Christ without losing their Arabic roots, identity, and culture. It is convicting to realize how we as Westerners have tried to make other cultures of the world not only Christian but also Western. How we have gotten being a Christ fol ...more
Carol
Aug 05, 2009 Carol rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Is it possible to be a follower of Jesus and remain a Muslim? Emphatically yes. Is it possible to be a follower of Jesus without "converting" and embracing the Western cultural and historical "baggage" implied by the words "Christian" and "Church"? Yes.

This book details the life and spiritual journey of Mazhar Al-Malluhi, prominent contemporary Arab Syrian novelist, Sufi Muslim, follower of Jesus Christ, and his impact on the intellectual world of the Middle East.

Brooke Christensen
Oct 08, 2007 Brooke Christensen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who feels burdened by the hurt "western" Christians bring to the message of Jesus
This book changed my life. It uses a dear friend of my family's, Mazhar Malouhi, a Syrian follower of Jesus as an example of a Muslim who has kept his cultural Muslim identity while also falling in love with Jesus. Mazhar's life is amazing and there is so much to learn... this book gave me hope and excitement for how to can love and relate with Muslims well... without forcing people to conform to a western brand of Christianity. It is one of the best books I've ever read.
Glenn Robinson
A wonderful book that expanded my understanding of what it is to be a Christian in the Middle East and Central Asia. While this book centers on one man who was once a Muslim and now is a Christian, the author also shares about a Sikh who became a Christian and quite a few others. The writer shares how other religions are using the New Testament for inspiration and also shows that those in the West rarely return the favor when trying to share the Word.
Trish
Jan 03, 2013 Trish rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's tough to give this book a rating. The story of Mazhar Mallouhi's life is very interesting and the main point of the book is excellent. I learned a lot and would love to read some of his books. On the other hand, the way this book is organized makes it frustratingly repetitive. I often felt like the book could have been edited differently and said everything it did with about 1/3 fewer pages. Nonetheless, it's an important story to hear and I greatly appreciated the book on the whole.
Waltjohnson305 Johnson
The author reveals the bumpy road of Muslims discovering Jesus through the story of the central character. I gained a new understanding of how cultural sensitivity and insight is the key to engaging others in a new way of thinking or living. It was also a whole new understanding of the Muslim faith and practice.
Helen B
Mar 18, 2011 Helen B rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone interested in Muslim/Christians relations
Recommended to Helen by: Princeton Midde East studies dept
In my view, one of the best interfaith books on positive, balanced and peaceful approach for Christians and Westerns on Islam! A must read for anyone interested in Christian/Muslim relations. Also, fascinating information on Mazhar Mallouhi, popular Syrian writer who is a self-described "Sufi Muslim follower of Christ".
Shaymaq
Apr 19, 2015 Shaymaq rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The book was trying to deliver a message to me, i didn't get the message and it didn't make sense to me.. We all love all prophets and look at them like role models, but it's hard to follow one from a different religion completely while in the religion we follow we have a prophet and other great examples..
Angie
Oct 27, 2007 Angie marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
This looks very interesting.
LauraCatherine
Oct 13, 2009 LauraCatherine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It swept my comfortable conception of Christianity into a more fulfilling and universal light
Lorah LS
Oct 09, 2007 Lorah LS rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an AMAZING book. It was so empowering, gave really encouraging stories and was just a good read. A complete must for someone who loves Muslims and followers of Jesus.
Esther
Esther rated it really liked it
Mar 08, 2011
Ted
Ted rated it really liked it
Aug 12, 2012
Kristen
Kristen rated it it was amazing
Oct 30, 2016
Nick
Nick rated it really liked it
Jul 23, 2011
Abri Theart
Sep 27, 2010 Abri Theart is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
A must read for anyone interested in the subject
Ed
Ed rated it it was amazing
Nov 15, 2011
Johnny Mettlach
Johnny Mettlach rated it it was amazing
Jan 09, 2015
Kathy Hill
Kathy Hill rated it really liked it
Jul 15, 2014
Bill
Bill rated it liked it
Dec 09, 2014
Robert Heckner
Apr 30, 2017 Robert Heckner rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Truth withheld love ends up as fundamentalism. And love with out truth can end up without any substance, as liberalism is in its worst form. So how do we balance this? Can we see the character of Christ demonstrated in how we love people? How did he do this? By accepting them as they are and by giving himself to them." -Mallouhi, p 186.

"More and more I am learning that I am a guest of God in this world and how I treat everything is how I treat God. I believe we are born to love and tolerate the
Michael Bryant
Michael Bryant rated it really liked it
Aug 03, 2015
Denise Beck
Denise Beck rated it it was amazing
Jan 04, 2016
Lynne Chandler
Lynne Chandler rated it really liked it
Nov 28, 2012
Jordan
Jordan rated it it was ok
Jan 07, 2017
Dave
Dave rated it it was amazing
Jun 18, 2015
Mark Siljander
Mark Siljander rated it it was amazing
Dec 04, 2009
Bum
Bum rated it it was amazing
Nov 01, 2008
John
John rated it really liked it
Dec 09, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »

“Ibn Bassani, a Sufi mystic, all his life prayed, asking God to make his body the size of hell and send him there in the place of the world. I see my Lord Christ having done that for humanity.” 0 likes
“biography has always been the first clue to theology, and in Christian tradition the reality of God is believed to have been biographized in Jesus as the Christ"I--” 0 likes