Start by marking “The Incredulity of Father Brown” as Want to Read:
The Incredulity of Father Brown

The Incredulity of Father Brown (Father Brown #3)

4.03  ·  Rating Details  ·  698 Ratings  ·  41 Reviews
In "The Incredulity of Father Brown," G.K. Chesterton treats us to another set of bizarre crimes that only his "stumpy" Roman Catholic prelate has the wisdom and mindset to solve. As usual, Chesterton loves playing with early twentieth-century class distinctions, "common-sense" assumptions, and the often anti-Catholic biases of his characters. He loves showing, through his ...more
Published July 1st 2008 by Classic Books Library (first published 1923)

To ask other readers questions about The Incredulity of Father Brown, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Incredulity of Father Brown

Jim
Feb 08, 2013 Jim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While The Innocence of Father Brown and The Wisdom of Father Brown contain more spritely stories, The Incredulity of Father Brown by G.K. Chesterton is still worthy of a closer look. If one goes to the Father Brown stories expecting to find more traditional whodunits, perhaps in the style of Arthur Conan Doyle or Richard Austin Freeman, he or she will be perplexed and disappointed. To begin with, Father Brown has no particular interest in seeing the guilty party being led to judgment. There are, ...more
F.R.
Dec 21, 2010 F.R. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For whatever reason I didn’t get along that well with the previous collection featuring Mr Chesterton’s ecclesiastical detective – ‘The Wisdom of Father Brown’. I thought as I read the tales that they were somewhat laborious and lacking in substance. As such I’ve been pleasantly surprised at how much I’ve enjoyed the subsequent volume – ‘The Incredulity of Father Brown’. I can’t tell without reading them again back to back whether one volume is genuinely more fun than the other, or whether it wa ...more
An Odd1
Feb 04, 2012 An Odd1 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Starts exciting with Father Brown in a tropical village, recovering from his own "murder", then degenerates into quasi-philosphical maunderings.
Adam Graham
Jul 17, 2011 Adam Graham rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Twelve years after his second Father Brown books, G.K. Chesterton brought readers a new collection in 1926 entitled, The Incredulity of Father Brown.

While the previous collections titled, The Innocence of Father Brown and The Wisdom of Father Brown had very little with the theme of the stories, Incredulity is a key theme of each story in this collection.

In each story, an event happens to which a miraculous supernatural explanation is offered. Father Brown by and by doesn't buy into the supernatu
Star Shining Forever
Mysteries that confound the police, the doctors, and eyewitnesses, are no more than a matter of observation, intuition, and experience to Father Brown. He's gone where most haven't gone and seen what most haven't seen: the insides of men's souls. He uses these powers of his, for so shall we call them, in pursuit of righteousness and justice. Where others question, Father Brown provides answers, based on what he knows of men, and of what depths they can sink to in the rejection of their Creator.
Ero
Aug 15, 2009 Ero rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: from-liberry
Good stuff. I don't really subscribe to Chesterton's theology or politics, but I do adore his ethics and style: he wants a more sacred and kind world, in which people behave with kindness to each other. But the primary appeal of the Father Brown stories is always Father Brown himself, more Columbo than Holmes, more sensible than sensational; and the settings of the stories, which place this seemingly ordinary little cleric in fanciful and ridiculous murder scenes, like placing a ball bearing in ...more
Ross
Apr 20, 2015 Ross rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
From my blog:t

The Incredulity of Father Brown is the third collection of short mysteries by G K Chesterton about that character. It is also, perhaps interestingly, the first collection of stories about the Catholic priest written when Chesterton was, himself, a Catholic.

Not that this would seem to have any bearing on the stories themselves — they are still delightfully and masterfully written. Just about all of them hinge on a sudden revelation of plain-thinking, or common sense. No matter how g
Logan Alley
Aug 11, 2015 Logan Alley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
after lots of contemporary fiction and mystery, I had to use my brain differently to be able to read and enjoy this book. Once I got used to the rhythm of the storytelling (and the fact that it was completely different from the television series), I enjoyed reading each of the short stories.
Rex Libris
Mar 02, 2014 Rex Libris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Father Brown short stories are alwasy so much fun. Chesterton himself is an excellent writer and joy to read for that alone. Father Brown often catches the bad guy by seeing that which is most commonplace, as opposed to that which is most mysterious.

Several of the mysteries invloved possible supernatural explanations. The various characters all thought Father Brown would be open to supernatural explanations. He tells people he is more skeptical about such explanation and less likely to accep
Nan Silvernail
Jan 13, 2013 Nan Silvernail rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Chesterton's language is beautiful. Father Brown has a keen mind and eyes with which to see.
I'd warn that there is racism in the stories and that some solutions left me hanging. But the puzzles are very clever.
John
Jul 10, 2016 John rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another fun set of stories from Chesterton. Fr Brown is a simple and humble little priest who is barely noticed. But he's the one who is sane. Wonderful writing from a master.
Briana
Jul 05, 2009 Briana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I will never look at a coat rack the same way ever again.

More great Chesterton cleverness.
Jackie
Dec 26, 2011 Jackie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It feels awful to rate a Chesterton book this low, but this series of short mysteries was way too repetitive and occasionally condescending. Chesterton's normal brilliant writing and characters are all here, and if these stories had been mixed in with Father Brown mysteries that followed other themes, it would have been much easier to take.

Every story followed the same basic pattern: setup for a murder that has an apparently uncanny aspect, previously hard-core skeptics and materialists run cryi
Lady Grey
4*:
In some of the stories I was lost in characters, but always surprising plot and end.
AFMasten
All these stories have a distinct mood that captured me, but sometimes I had a hard time figuring out the deeper meaning that Father Brown takes from the murders. I'm going to try his novel, The Man Who Was Thursday.
Mark Desetti
Better than The Wisdom of Father Brown but not quite up to The Innocence of Father Brown. Good stories, a couple quite good, but a couple very confusing and difficult. And I've actually had enough of families with curses!
Matthew White
Useful evidence for the idea that detective stories, especially aged ones, are the dullest thing to ever have existed.
Aju
Dec 29, 2014 Aju rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
classic,
Meg
Jun 28, 2016 Meg rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Chesterton!! Everything I have ever read of his writing is excellent and so beautiful!
Marti
May 08, 2011 Marti rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the third Father Brown book that I have read--with two to go. Some of the stories are better than others, but they are all well written, with humor and intelligence. Theae are on my nook, so that when it decided to return to page one, it took a whiler to get back to page 270. I'll take a breat before going on to the next one.
Emily
Nov 11, 2009 Emily rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
All the comments from my other Father Brown review apply to this one.

Though one more thing of this one I will say: I understand now what you mean about the coat rack, Briana. I will never look at a coat rack in the same way again either. I just love stories with madmen when the author knows what he's talking about...
Guguk
Buku Father Brown yang pertama kubaca, isinya kumpulan kasus. Sama dengan yang "Innocence" dan "Scandal"~

Dan karena kumpulan, ada kasus yang seru, ada juga yang agak bikin bingung.., sementara penyelesaiannya cukup singkat dengan menampilkan gaya analisa Father Brown yang kalem namun cermat (=^ - ^=)
Courtney

8) The Ghost of Gideon Wise
stormhawk
Feb 26, 2012 stormhawk rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Eight more Father Brown stories to puzzle out and ponder over, with mire American involvement, as the U.S. features as setting or character background in quite a few of the stories. Farther Brown, a humbling, Edwardian Columbo, not only solves crime, but defends. The faith.
Paul Baldowski
Intelligent and witty tales of murder with the priestly ancestor of Columbo on hand to save the day every time. Short, engaging stories well worth reading. Well written and very effectively told. Makes me want to go out and read more Father Brown at some later date.
Sandra
Nov 29, 2012 Sandra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think it was a fantastic set of stories... It was quite expected that all of then were going to revolve around a situation in which Father Brown didn't believe something said to him and everyone else did... However I recommend it!
Aras
Dec 16, 2009 Aras rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Some of these mysteries were good, while others kind of petered out without what I would consider a "proper" conclusion. Chesterton still displays his fine ability with prose, but this wasn't as strong as the previous collection I read.
Thomas
Oct 13, 2015 Thomas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I quite enjoyed this third collection of Father Brown stories, more than the second collection.
Matthew
May 15, 2015 Matthew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The third book is better than the second one. It seems like G.K. Chesterton spends more time developing certain characters and settings while keeping the plot simplistic disregarding symbolism.
Germancho
Sep 05, 2011 Germancho rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Es un libro detectivesco muy cuco, con soluciones muy intuitivas (en contraposicion al deductivismo de Conan Doyle) y con un sabroso discurso sobre el escepticismo y el materialismo
  • The World of the Short Story: A Twentieth Century Collection
  • Jeeves, Jeeves, Jeeves
  • Great Detectives: A Century of the Best Mysteries from England and America
  • Kiss, Kiss / Switch Bitch / My Uncle Oswald
  • A Whisper in the Dark
  • The Complete Short Stories: Volume 1
  • The Best of Mystery: 63 Short Stories Chosen by the Master of Suspense
  • Nightmare Abbey; Crotchet Castle
  • His Last Bow: Some Reminiscences of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes, #8)
  • The New Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
  • Children of the Frost
  • The Gentle Grafter (Illustrated Edition) (Dodo Press)
  • The Breaking Point: Stories
  • Legends of Charlemagne
  • Hercule Poirot's Casebook (Hercule Poirot, #42)
  • Poetical Works
  • Miss Mapp (Lucia, #2)
Gilbert Keith Chesterton (1874-1936) was born in London, educated at St. Paul’s, and went to art school at University College London. In 1900, he was asked to contribute a few magazine articles on art criticism, and went on to become one of the most prolific writers of all time. He wrote a hundred books, contributions to 200 more, hundreds of poems, including the epic Ballad of the White Horse, fi ...more
More about G.K. Chesterton...

Father Brown (7 books)
  • The Innocence of Father Brown (Father Brown, #1)
  • The Wisdom of Father Brown (Father Brown, #2)
  • The Secret of Father Brown (Father Brown, #4)
  • The Scandal of Father Brown (Father Brown, #5)
  • The Collected Works of G.K. Chesterton, Volume 12: The Father Brown Stories, Volume I
  • Father Brown: The Collected Works of Father Brown