Start by marking “The Incredulity of Father Brown” as Want to Read:
The Incredulity of Father Brown

The Incredulity of Father Brown (Father Brown #3)

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  536 ratings  ·  32 reviews
In "The Incredulity of Father Brown," G.K. Chesterton treats us to another set of bizarre crimes that only his "stumpy" Roman Catholic prelate has the wisdom and mindset to solve. As usual, Chesterton loves playing with early twentieth-century class distinctions, "common-sense" assumptions, and the often anti-Catholic biases of his characters. He loves showing, through his ...more
Published July 1st 2008 by Classic Books Library (first published 1923)

To ask other readers questions about The Incredulity of Father Brown, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Incredulity of Father Brown

Jim
While The Innocence of Father Brown and The Wisdom of Father Brown contain more spritely stories, The Incredulity of Father Brown by G.K. Chesterton is still worthy of a closer look. If one goes to the Father Brown stories expecting to find more traditional whodunits, perhaps in the style of Arthur Conan Doyle or Richard Austin Freeman, he or she will be perplexed and disappointed. To begin with, Father Brown has no particular interest in seeing the guilty party being led to judgment. There are, ...more
F.R.
For whatever reason I didn’t get along that well with the previous collection featuring Mr Chesterton’s ecclesiastical detective – ‘The Wisdom of Father Brown’. I thought as I read the tales that they were somewhat laborious and lacking in substance. As such I’ve been pleasantly surprised at how much I’ve enjoyed the subsequent volume – ‘The Incredulity of Father Brown’. I can’t tell without reading them again back to back whether one volume is genuinely more fun than the other, or whether it wa ...more
An Odd1
Starts exciting with Father Brown in a tropical village, recovering from his own "murder", then degenerates into quasi-philosphical maunderings.
Adam Graham
Twelve years after his second Father Brown books, G.K. Chesterton brought readers a new collection in 1926 entitled, The Incredulity of Father Brown.

While the previous collections titled, The Innocence of Father Brown and The Wisdom of Father Brown had very little with the theme of the stories, Incredulity is a key theme of each story in this collection.

In each story, an event happens to which a miraculous supernatural explanation is offered. Father Brown by and by doesn't buy into the supernatu
Ero
Good stuff. I don't really subscribe to Chesterton's theology or politics, but I do adore his ethics and style: he wants a more sacred and kind world, in which people behave with kindness to each other. But the primary appeal of the Father Brown stories is always Father Brown himself, more Columbo than Holmes, more sensible than sensational; and the settings of the stories, which place this seemingly ordinary little cleric in fanciful and ridiculous murder scenes, like placing a ball bearing in ...more
Ross
From my blog:t

The Incredulity of Father Brown is the third collection of short mysteries by G K Chesterton about that character. It is also, perhaps interestingly, the first collection of stories about the Catholic priest written when Chesterton was, himself, a Catholic.

Not that this would seem to have any bearing on the stories themselves — they are still delightfully and masterfully written. Just about all of them hinge on a sudden revelation of plain-thinking, or common sense. No matter how g
Rex Libris
The Father Brown short stories are alwasy so much fun. Chesterton himself is an excellent writer and joy to read for that alone. Father Brown often catches the bad guy by seeing that which is most commonplace, as opposed to that which is most mysterious.

Several of the mysteries invloved possible supernatural explanations. The various characters all thought Father Brown would be open to supernatural explanations. He tells people he is more skeptical about such explanation and less likely to accep
Nan Silvernail
Chesterton's language is beautiful. Father Brown has a keen mind and eyes with which to see.
I'd warn that there is racism in the stories and that some solutions left me hanging. But the puzzles are very clever.
Briana
I will never look at a coat rack the same way ever again.

More great Chesterton cleverness.
Jackie
It feels awful to rate a Chesterton book this low, but this series of short mysteries was way too repetitive and occasionally condescending. Chesterton's normal brilliant writing and characters are all here, and if these stories had been mixed in with Father Brown mysteries that followed other themes, it would have been much easier to take.

Every story followed the same basic pattern: setup for a murder that has an apparently uncanny aspect, previously hard-core skeptics and materialists run cryi
Reading Faerie
All the stories were quality reading, and once I started a story it was hard to put the book down. A must read for classic mystery lovers.
Mark Desetti
Better than The Wisdom of Father Brown but not quite up to The Innocence of Father Brown. Good stories, a couple quite good, but a couple very confusing and difficult. And I've actually had enough of families with curses!
Matthew White
Useful evidence for the idea that detective stories, especially aged ones, are the dullest thing to ever have existed.
Marti
This is the third Father Brown book that I have read--with two to go. Some of the stories are better than others, but they are all well written, with humor and intelligence. Theae are on my nook, so that when it decided to return to page one, it took a whiler to get back to page 270. I'll take a breat before going on to the next one.
Emily
All the comments from my other Father Brown review apply to this one.

Though one more thing of this one I will say: I understand now what you mean about the coat rack, Briana. I will never look at a coat rack in the same way again either. I just love stories with madmen when the author knows what he's talking about...
Courtney

6) The Dagger with Wings
7) The Doom of the Darnaways
8) The Ghost of Gideon Wise
stormhawk
Eight more Father Brown stories to puzzle out and ponder over, with mire American involvement, as the U.S. features as setting or character background in quite a few of the stories. Farther Brown, a humbling, Edwardian Columbo, not only solves crime, but defends. The faith.
Paul Baldowski
Intelligent and witty tales of murder with the priestly ancestor of Columbo on hand to save the day every time. Short, engaging stories well worth reading. Well written and very effectively told. Makes me want to go out and read more Father Brown at some later date.
Sandra
I think it was a fantastic set of stories... It was quite expected that all of then were going to revolve around a situation in which Father Brown didn't believe something said to him and everyone else did... However I recommend it!
Aras
Some of these mysteries were good, while others kind of petered out without what I would consider a "proper" conclusion. Chesterton still displays his fine ability with prose, but this wasn't as strong as the previous collection I read.
Matthew
The third book is better than the second one. It seems like G.K. Chesterton spends more time developing certain characters and settings while keeping the plot simplistic disregarding symbolism.
Germancho
Es un libro detectivesco muy cuco, con soluciones muy intuitivas (en contraposicion al deductivismo de Conan Doyle) y con un sabroso discurso sobre el escepticismo y el materialismo
Greg
This is a good collection of Father Brown stories. A few take place in the New World. Many stories involve conflicts between Catholicism and atheism and spiritualism.
Julian Schlaen
Es interesante como el Padre Brown aplica su falsa ingenuidad a la resolución de casos policiales, pero me resulta difícil hallar convincentes los casos.
Jo
Good, but the first collection of stories were better. Some of the stories I found quite slow to start and too descriptive for no real reason
Marie Martin
Another book of short stories/adventures of Father Brown. Entertaining. BTW - from the library.
Virginia
I love G. K Chesterton.
John Carter
Father Brown is Father Brown is Father Brown. Unparalleled.
mstan
I love Father Brown and the outlandish mysteries in this book.
  • The New Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
  • Kiss, Kiss / Switch Bitch / My Uncle Oswald
  • The Bishop Murder Case (A Philo Vance Mystery #4)
  • The Best of Mystery: 63 Short Stories Chosen by the Master of Suspense
  • Nightmare Abbey; Crotchet Castle
  • Tales of the Fish Patrol
  • The Mirror Crack'd / A Caribbean Mystery / Nemesis / What Mrs. McGillicuddy Saw! / The Body in the Library
  • Rudyard Kipling's Tales of Horror and Fantasy
  • Legends of Charlemagne
  • Stories For Christmas
  • The Big Bow Mystery
  • The Art of Fact: A Historical Anthology of Literary Journalism
Gilbert Keith Chesterton (1874-1936) was born in London, educated at St. Paul’s, and went to art school at University College London. In 1900, he was asked to contribute a few magazine articles on art criticism, and went on to become one of the most prolific writers of all time. He wrote a hundred books, contributions to 200 more, hundreds of poems, including the epic Ballad of the White Horse, fi ...more
More about G.K. Chesterton...

Father Brown (5 books)
  • The Innocence of Father Brown (Father Brown, #1)
  • The Wisdom of Father Brown (Father Brown, #2)
  • The Secret of Father Brown (Father Brown, #4)
  • The Scandal of Father Brown (Father Brown, #5)
Orthodoxy The Man Who Was Thursday: A Nightmare The Innocence of Father Brown (Father Brown, #1) The Complete Father Brown The Everlasting Man