Start by marking “The Imperialist” as Want to Read:
The Imperialist

The Imperialist

2.48 of 5 stars 2.48  ·  rating details  ·  71 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Sara Jeannette Duncan’s classic portrait of a turn-of-the-century Ontario town, The Imperialist captures the spirit of an emergent nation through the example of two young dreamers. Impassioned by “the Imperialist idea,” Lorne Murchison rests his bid for office on his vision of a rejuvenated British Empire. His sister Advena betrays a kindred attraction to the high-flown id ...more
Published June 1st 1990 by New Canadian Library (first published 1904)

To ask other readers questions about The Imperialist, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Imperialist

Mjhancock
The romance subplot, though ultimately somewhat superfluous in the book's larger scheme, is well done, striking the right balance of resigned affection for the characters involved. In fact, Duncan amply balances all her characters, so that no one is entirely a stereotype or walking cliche. The imperialist bent of the main narrative is compelling, though largely for a radically different interpretation of early 20th century Canada's potential on the global stage. I have to disagree with the after ...more
Tom
This is a solid novel of manners. More interesting, however, is a nation that is coming to grips with an identity that is intertwined with British imperialism.
Ibis3
The middle of this book was rather tedious as the author went on and on explaining Lorne's positive support of imperialism* and his party's wavering position on the issue. I wish Duncan had spent more time on her characters, their relationships, and a little less on political philosophy. But the parts she spent on those things were very good. She writes a little like George Eliot or even Elizabeth Gaskell but with a Modern burnish, almost anticipating Virginia Woolf at times.

(view spoiler)
Angela
Set in a fictionalized Brantford at the turn of the century, this 1904 book is something of a mixed bag. I've been having a hard time figuring out how to review it. So instead, I've just jotted some notes:

- Because I live in Brantford I found myself spending a lot of time trying to figure out exactly which bits were based on real locations and people. The footnotes of my edition helped with this, combining with lots of internet searching. It was interesting, but made for a slower read.

- As a nov
Kate
Apr 02, 2008 Kate rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: school
This book is far too long. The characters kind of annoyed me as well. The only thing that kept me going in this book was the love affair between the minister and the main characters sister. Other than that I wouldn't suggest reading this unless you have to.
Scott Stevens
Kate Buski
Kate Buski marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2014
Ray
Ray marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2014
Jessica
Jessica is currently reading it
Nov 27, 2014
Aravinth
Aravinth marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014
Weronika
Weronika marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2014
Cheryl
Cheryl marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2014
Amy  Dohn
Amy Dohn marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Sandra
Sandra marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2014
Sam
Sam marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2014
Cody Anderson
Cody Anderson marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2014
Colleen Foster
Colleen Foster marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2014
Krista
Krista marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2014
Nick Savage
Nick Savage marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Set in Authority The Pool in the Desert Cousin Cinderella A Daughter of Today An American Girl in London