Start by marking “Organizing Your Day: Time Management Techniques That Will Work for You” as Want to Read:
Organizing Your Day: Time Management Techniques That Will Work for You

Organizing Your Day: Time Management Techniques That Will Work for You

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  104 ratings  ·  20 reviews
For more than twenty years, Sandra Felton's books have helped countless readers organize their homes, rooms, offices, and paperwork. She now joins forces with professional organizer Marsha Sims and applies some of the same principles to help readers build a successful system for organizing their daily schedules and routines.
Their unique approach with helpful anecdotal stor
Published May 1st 2009 by Fleming H. Revell Company

To ask other readers questions about Organizing Your Day, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Organizing Your Day

Dustin
This book addresses many aspects of our lives and the time management challenges associated with them. The topics are diverse and may apply to the home as well as the office such as project management, to-do lists, filing, priority setting, and reducing clutter. Each chapter is relatively short with many practical ideas for implementation but many anecdotal passages which seem unnecessary. In addition, the chapters could stand alone well and could be read in any order (perhaps with the last chap ...more
Kyle Potter
I found Felton and Sims' Organizing Your Day to be extremely helpful because of its careful detail and focus on real practicality. If you've read any of the more popular books on time management, you'll recognize some of the tips and processes, but likely find plenty to help you think productively about your time. The book is organized into 24 short chapters, which lets the reader easily pick and choose the ones that speak to her particular challenges. Each chapter includes about three page-long ...more
Frangipani
When this book arrived I didn’t leave it alone! I got so much out of this book, so many good ideas and insights into my own character when it comes to procrastination and the reasons why I do that. The best things I loved about this book were about finding your most productive time of the day v. your worst and scheduling the important things for when you're at your best and the more mundane stuff like laundry folding, for the least productive time of day. Planning, project management and mind ma ...more
Jill Kemerer
So many useful tips and suggestions! This book helps you recognize your problem areas with organization and time management--and it gives oodles of options to try to overcome the problems. I particularly like the Quadrant system and the tournament format for prioritizing.

Excellent book!
Barb
There are some really good techniques in this book about organizing and ways to overcome procrastination. Alot of things we may have read before. I do like the maps and tips on how to figure out ways to prioritize. I like the helpful hints about day planners and how they can help achieve your goals. I like this saying, "It's not what you do once in a while, it's what you do day in and day out that makes the difference." Jenny Craig. One of the messages is to make it a routine, and if you do the ...more
Kara
I really, really enjoyed this book. It opened my eyes to the idea of time management and made me realize all that I'm doing wrong. Perhaps I enjoyed it so much because it was my first experience with reading about time management, but whatever the case, I recommend it.

It gives great tips on forming to-do lists, choosing priorities, letting go of non-priorities, and accepting the fact that you are a limited human being with limited time. It helped me realize and accept that just because I WANT to
Leiah
Jun 27, 2012 Leiah added it
Shelves: library-book, nook
This book had a lot of little stories in it... like "John was a workaholic who was always staying late at the office. Then one day he realized he needs to organize his day and now his life is so much better!"

...i guess the stories help illustrate her points, but they sort of got redundant after I realized that that was what the book was mainly comprised of.

But still some good advice. I would probably read it again; I was reading too many other things at the same time as this and forgot a lot of
Jessica
I am a left-brain, list-making, organization-loving gal, so of course I loved this book.... I may have been able to write more than half of it.
Not that I didn't learn a thing or two. Mostly, however, I felt like I was having a conversation with a like-minded friend.

For those who are organizationally challenged: this read is quite painless. Real life examples behind concepts,steps broken down for you, and diagrams of worksheets.
Jacqueline
Full of great big-picture and inspiring material about organization, but rather tediously too-specific on the details. Best information is a list on pages 196-7 of suggested habits to cultivate (Leave a room the way you want it to be when you return.), the chapters on procrastination and perfectionism (Done is better than perfect.), and the "streamlined to-do list" (List tasks in order of importance; do them in the order listed.)
Heather
This is more about basic time management (setting and keeping schedules, prioritizing tasks, organizing stuff) than it is about fine-tuning what you're doing. I actually do OK with the basics, so this wasn't as useful as I was hoping it would be. Also, much of the book is spent on cheerleading and explaining why it's good to make the effort to manage your time well, which again, I already do OK at.
Jessica
This is a great book with lots of clear-cut ways to incorporate new habits of organization into your daily life, both at home and at work. I'm very excited to start implementing some of them myself. My only issue with it was the way the authors kept bringing up God. It seemed like a strange thing to talk about in a book about organization.
K K
It was ok. Too many unnecessary examples. I have read other better books on time management such as Eat That Frog and Leo Babauta's books.
Fullfaun
she has good ideas and explains why these ones work.
I just didn't like the references to God int eh book. Could have done with that.
Joana Augusto
Pretty good, has a lot of useful ideas and tips. The only drawbacks: the religious references and the oversimplified "real life" examples.
Jenny
I was surprised to find that this book had some good suggestions. It was more helpful than I thought it would be.
Alissa
Some good basic tips, learned a few new pointers, the most beneficial for me was the planning worksheet.
Louise
Some really helpful tips - I particularly liked the practical exercises - but a bit repetitious.
Lori Grant
A should-read book on how to be productive in your job as your manage your career.
Lynda
I have read everything Sandra Felton has written. This is one of the best of her books.
Jackie
Helpful. Got a bit repetitive but I enjoyed it.
Tucker Plumlee
Tucker Plumlee marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2015
Katherine Clark
Katherine Clark marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2015
Alicia White
Alicia White marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2015
Allen
Allen marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2015
Elena
Elena marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2015
Nicole.
Nicole. marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2015
  • One Year to an Organized Work Life: From Your Desk to Your Deadlines, the Week-by-Week Guide to Eliminating Office Stress for Good
  • Organizing for the Creative Person: Right-Brain Styles for Conquering Clutter, Mastering Time, and Reaching Your Goals
  • Organize Now!: A Week-By-Week Guide to Simplify Your Space and Your Life!
  • Organizing Solutions for People With Attention Deficit Disorder: Tips and Tools to Help You Take Charge of Your Life and Get Organized
  • Organizing for Your Brain Type: Finding Your Own Solution to Managing Time, Paper, and Stuff
  • ADD-Friendly Ways to Organize Your Life
  • Never Check E-Mail In the Morning: And Other Unexpected Strategies for Making Your Work Life Work
  • The One-Minute Organizer Plain & Simple: 500 Tips for Getting Your Life in Order
  • Upgrade Your Life: The Lifehacker Guide to Working Smarter, Faster, Better
  • Enough Already!: Clearing Mental Clutter to Become the Best You
  • How to Get Dressed: A Costume Designer's Secrets for Making Your Clothes Look, Fit, and Feel Amazing
  • The Organized Life: Secrets of an Expert Organizer
  • The Prosperous Heart: Creating a Life of "Enough"
  • One Thing At a Time: 100 Simple Ways to Live Clutter-Free Every Day
  • What's a Disorganized Person to Do?
  • The Queen of Distraction: How Women with ADHD Can Conquer Chaos, Find Focus, and Get More Done
  • Unclutter Your Life in One Week
  • Your Creative Brain: Seven Steps to Maximize Imagination, Productivity, and Innovation in Your Life
Living Organized: Proven Steps for a Clutter-Free and Beautiful Home The Messies Manual: The Procrastinator's Guide to Good Housekeeping Organizing for Life: Declutter Your Mind to Declutter Your World 5 Days to a Clutter-Free House: Quick, Easy Ways to Clear Up Your Space Organizing Magic: 40 Days to a Well-Ordered Home and Life