Start by marking “Retour a Kiss River” as Want to Read:
Retour a Kiss River

Retour a Kiss River (Kiss River #2)

3.89  ·  Rating Details ·  3,673 Ratings  ·  270 Reviews
Kiss River -- where secrets give way to the amazing power of love.

Gina Higgins has come to the Outer Banks of North Carolina -- a stranger with a secret. But secrets are a fact of life in the close-knit community of Kiss River . . .

Kiss River's historic nineteenth-century lighthouse has all but fallen into the sea, taking with it the huge Fresnel lens that once served as

Hardcover
Published 2003 by France Loisirs

Korey
Aug 28, 2012 Korey rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Giedre
Jan 11, 2015 Giedre rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
very nice and emotional read. a bit too much fluff at times and it did drag on in the beginning but once it took off it took off. Looking forward to read the third book.
Rhonda Rae Baker
I'm seriously going to collect ALL of Diane Chamberlain's novels...she is the absolute best author, one never knows what she's going to come up with next...WOW.

This story had me from the beginning and I simply couldn't put it down!

The quote before chapter one is something that my oldest daughter gave me under a collage of my five children for a Mother's Day present. "The bond that links your true family is not one of blood, but of respect and joy in each other's life." but Diane included the res
Trish at Between My Lines
This review was originally posted on [Between My Lines]

Warning, rant ahead!

OK, you guys know I LOVE Diane Chamberlain.  I raved about Necessary Lies and The Lost Daughter.  And I'm going to continue loving her and reading all her books despite this rant about Kiss River.  The hate is for a topic that waves a red flag before my eyes as it turned me right off this book.

First Line of Kiss River by Diane Chamberlain
"The air conditioner in her aging car was giving out, blowing warm, breath-steali
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out

The Keeper of the Light was first published almost twenty years ago as a stand alone but was revived in the early 2000's when Chamberlain decided to use the novel as a springboard for a trilogy, writing Kiss River and Her Mother's Shadow. This year, the series is being reissued in both print and digital formats to the delight of her fans.

Set twelve years after the events of Keeper of Light, Kiss River introduces Gina Higgins, a science teacher from Washington DC, who has has come to the Outer Ba
Carol
Mar 01, 2013 Carol rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'd read nine of Diane Chamberlain's books before picking up Kiss River, and I really enjoyed all nine. They've been very entertaining blends of suspense and character development, or moral issues and character development. But Kiss River was kind of a disappointment for me.

Kiss River is first and foremost a romance novel, which is really not my thing. There is a mystery element, but it doesn't make a lot of sense. A woman, Gina, drives across the entire US to check out a lighthouse, hoping to f
Glynis
Oct 01, 2011 Glynis rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
What a disappointment. I have read a couple of Diane Chamberlains books and really started to feel that here I had a new author with something to give. I am sorry but this book was boring and just didnt ring true. Perhaps because it was written in 2003 the author has improved her style but certainly cannot recommend this. ...more
Darby
May 11, 2008 Darby rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: drama-romance, 2008
I read this in one night. It was a very easy read. I enjoyed the diary entries mixed into this book. I think I liked Keeper of the Light better and liked the characters better but this was still really good plot and had me engaged and wanting to know where it was going to end up. Enjoying this series and this authors book -- definitely one I will keep reading.
Liz
Feb 04, 2017 Liz rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the second book in the Kiss River trilogy and although an enjoyable read, in my opinion, it had nowhere near the intensity as Keeper of the Light. Although the main characters reappear in this second book, the plot centres around new characters. Good but not brilliant!
Judy Collins
Feb 07, 2013 Judy Collins rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this second book in the Kiss River series as a sequel to the much loved characters in Keeper of the Light. Diane Chamberlain is one of my favorite authors with a wild imagination, taking readers far beyond the norm for page turners you will not want to put down -- twists, turns, and plots which keep you engaged from the beginning to the end!

Being a native of NC, always love the setting and especially the Outer Banks area and the subject of lighthouses - fascinating along with history of
Melissa Dally
Aug 15, 2013 Melissa Dally rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: borrowed
Well, it was all right. You do spend a goodly amount of the book wondering just how Gina plans to make a bunch of money of a 3000 lb lighthouse lens. It's not like she could steal it and sell it on the black market. LOL. Still really underwhelmed with Annie O'Neill, but she's a central character in all three books of this trilogy. Maybe I'll like her better in the last one?

Also, the whole "OMG, I have to tell you your Mom was promiscuous" thing...really? Did her adult son and daughter REALLY nee
Lauralee
If I could give this book 3.5 stars, I would have. Diane Chamberlain's books normally get a 5 or 4 from me. For me, there was too much focus on the romance between Clay and Gina. However, that is just a personal choice.

As usual, the characters were interesting, captivating, and I felt like I knew each and every one of them in the story. The ending was very final so I would be ok if I didn't read the third novel in this series. That being said, I will be reading it, because I enjoy all of her no
Ann
Feb 05, 2012 Ann rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Book #2 in a trilogy. First was Keeper of the Light. That was a little better than this. This one took TOO LONG to get to the point (and took me days and days to read - I just couldn't get into it) -- what was the mystery surrounding Gina's daughter? why did she NEED to raise the fallen lens? what really happened in 1942? Really, this could have been a great short story if all the above elements were discussed openly and up front. Like the first book, this was written about 10 years ago and it s ...more
Amy
Jan 03, 2012 Amy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked the ending of this book, but thought it really dragged to get there. Flipping between the diary which was many years in the past to the current time line threw me off a little, but all made sense at the end. The Characters are a little older from Keeper of the Light and it was good to see what is happening with them. Without giving much away, Lacey is following in her mothers footsteps, Alec has moved on, Clay and some heartbreak but is not in a very happy place, Gina is new in th ...more
Skyy2
Jun 02, 2012 Skyy2 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not my favorite from Diane Chamberlain. I really didn't like the main characters. I couldn't really connect with any of them. Alec's character seemed to have changed between the first book and this one. He didn't seem as caring and understanding in this book. His character was not as strong as it was in the last book. Didn't really like Gina. She was pretty flaky throughout the book. No, I didn't like this one. Not sure if I should even finish the series.
Deb
Jan 22, 2010 Deb rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
Interesting history of the Outer Banks during WWII and the U-boat attacks on US Vessels. The story flashed back intermittently to a diary written during that time by the daughter of the Kiss River lighthouse keeper. I felt the truths/secrets that surfaced were not that exciting and it seemed a long time getting to those secrets which made it more of a let-down. Just okay for me.
Kelly
Jan 29, 2012 Kelly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it, loved how easy it was to keep track of who was who and what happened to who in the previous book. Didn't have the usual twists and turns that you'd expect from one of Dianes books. Maybe because it's an older one of hers that's been re-issued?

The ending obviously paves the way for the final book in the trilogy - I have a feeling things wont run smoothly for Gina!
Marguerite Kaye
Not my favourite Diane Chamberlain, but it had all the usual ingredients that make her an excellent story teller - good mystery, sympathetic characters, mingling of the past and present. It felt a little dated, perhaps because I've read so many of her more recent books, but nonetheless, a page turner, and a pleasant way of passing a few hours.
Alana
Jun 01, 2015 Alana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really loved the first book & was so looking forward to this one but whilst I enjoyed it I didn't enjoy it near as much as the first. I will be looking forward to reading the final book in the trilogy.
Carl
Oct 13, 2007 Carl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
ONE OF MY ALL TIME BESTS
Suzie Flohr
Feb 27, 2012 Suzie Flohr rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i actually enjoyed this one more than i liked #1.
Kathy
Jul 09, 2011 Kathy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the first more than this one. Was an easy read however but found myself skimming over the pages. Disappointed.
Mairi Byatt
Sad trilogy finished going back for more Chamberlain!
Denise
Jul 11, 2008 Denise rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was the second book in the Keeper of the Light trilogy. It was terrific!
Bree T
Gina has come to Kiss River desperately seeking something that she believes can give her the help she needs so badly. In possession of an old diary, she drives from Washington state to Kiss River in North Carolina, all the way across the continent searching for the lighthouse there. She seeks a message there that she thinks she can use in order to get back to someone she loves dearly that has been taken from her.

When she arrives in Kiss River, she’s devastated to see that the lighthouse has been
Diana
Mar 13, 2017 Diana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not my favorite Chamberlain book, but part of the trilogy...so I read it. I am glad this one is done and am looking forward to the 3rd in the series!
Dorothy
This book had a few very silly parts but it was entertaining for vacation.
Pamela
Aug 03, 2015 Pamela rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Gina Huggins needs to see the Kiss River Lighthouse. After driving across the country (from Washington to the Outer Banks), she discovers the top part of the lighthouse -- including the lens -- was destroyed in a storm years ago. For some reason, Gina is intent on raising that lens.

While trespassing to see the lighthouse, Gina meets Lacey and Clay, brother and sister living at the keeper's cottage. They invite Gina to stay with them while she's in Kiss River. And conveniently enough, Clay and L
TamElaine
Sep 22, 2012 TamElaine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first sentence of this book introduces the reader to Gina. I was a bit disappointed when the story didn't start with Olivia or Alec. But I was vibrating with anticipation when the first diary entry from the 1940s introduced Elizabeth (Mary Poor's daughter) whose story was only alluded to briefly in Keeper of the Light. I remember when I read that book I wondered why Elizabeth had run out, what Mary wasn't telling and then even why that had been added to the story at all....but I laid those q ...more
Sam Still Reading
Dec 29, 2012 Sam Still Reading rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Jodi Picoult
Recommended to Sam Still Reading by: sent by the publisher - thank you!
When I heard this book was the sequel to Keeper of the Light, I was kind of worried. I’m one of those people who do everything to the nth degree. What would I be missing if I started at book two of this trilogy? (There’s a subsequent sequel, Her Mother’s Shadow).

I found I could rest at ease – Kiss River sums up succinctly the relevant events of the first book, but I don’t think you’d be disadvantaged if you went back and read the first book later. There’s nothing to be scratching your head about
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 2 Sep 12, 2015 02:40PM
  • A Cottage by the Sea
  • Out of Sync
  • The Angel at No. 33
  • The Daughter She Used To Be
  • Crochet Saved My Life: The Mental and Physical Health Benefits of Crochet
  • The Deep Blue Sea for Beginners (Newport, Rhode Island, #2)
  • One Week In December
  • A Sea Change
  • Missing You
  • Twelve Times Blessed
  • Lantern Lake (The Billionaire Bachelors, #3)
  • YOU: The Smart Patient: An Insider's Handbook for Getting the Best Treatment
  • The Surrogate's Secret
  • Lost & Found: A Memoir of Mothers
  • If You Believe
  • Stolen Child
  • The Things We Never Said
  • Lace One-Skein Wonders: 101 Projects Celebrating the Possibilities of Lace
Diane Chamberlain is the New York Times, USA Today and Sunday Times bestselling author of 24 novels published in more than twenty languages. Some of her most popular books include Necessary Lies, The Silent Sister, The Secret Life of CeeCee Wilkes, and The Keeper of the Light Trilogy. Diane likes to write complex stories about relationships between men and women, parents and children, brothers and ...more
More about Diane Chamberlain...

Kiss River (3 books)
  • Keeper of the Light (Kiss River #1)
  • Her Mother's Shadow (Kiss River #3)