Retour a Kiss River

Retour a Kiss River (Kiss River #2)

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  1,866 ratings  ·  168 reviews
Kiss River -- where secrets give way to the amazing power of love.

Gina Higgins has come to the Outer Banks of North Carolina -- a stranger with a secret. But secrets are a fact of life in the close-knit community of Kiss River . . .

Kiss River's historic nineteenth-century lighthouse has all but fallen into the sea, taking with it the huge Fresnel lens that once served as

Hardcover
Published 2003 by France Loisirs

To ask other readers questions about Retour a Kiss River, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Retour a Kiss River

Rhonda Rae Baker
I'm seriously going to collect ALL of Diane Chamberlain's novels...she is the absolute best author, one never knows what she's going to come up with next...WOW.

This story had me from the beginning and I simply couldn't put it down!

The quote before chapter one is something that my oldest daughter gave me under a collage of my five children for a Mother's Day present. "The bond that links your true family is not one of blood, but of respect and joy in each other's life." but Diane included the res...more
Korey
Darby
I read this in one night. It was a very easy read. I enjoyed the diary entries mixed into this book. I think I liked Keeper of the Light better and liked the characters better but this was still really good plot and had me engaged and wanting to know where it was going to end up. Enjoying this series and this authors book -- definitely one I will keep reading.
Glynis
What a disappointment. I have read a couple of Diane Chamberlain´s books and really started to feel that here I had a new author with something to give. I am sorry but this book was boring and just didn´t ring true. Perhaps because it was written in 2003 the author has improved her style but certainly cannot recommend this.
Carol
I'd read nine of Diane Chamberlain's books before picking up Kiss River, and I really enjoyed all nine. They've been very entertaining blends of suspense and character development, or moral issues and character development. But Kiss River was kind of a disappointment for me.

Kiss River is first and foremost a romance novel, which is really not my thing. There is a mystery element, but it doesn't make a lot of sense. A woman, Gina, drives across the entire US to check out a lighthouse, hoping to f...more
Judy Collins
I loved this second book in the Kiss River series as a sequel to the much loved characters in Keeper of the Light. Diane Chamberlain is one of my favorite authors with a wild imagination, taking readers far beyond the norm for page turners you will not want to put down -- twists, turns, and plots which keep you engaged from the beginning to the end!

Being a native of NC, always love the setting and especially the Outer Banks area and the subject of lighthouses - fascinating along with history of...more
Melissa Dally
Well, it was all right. You do spend a goodly amount of the book wondering just how Gina plans to make a bunch of money of a 3000 lb lighthouse lens. It's not like she could steal it and sell it on the black market. LOL. Still really underwhelmed with Annie O'Neill, but she's a central character in all three books of this trilogy. Maybe I'll like her better in the last one?

Also, the whole "OMG, I have to tell you your Mom was promiscuous" thing...really? Did her adult son and daughter REALLY nee...more
Lauralee
If I could give this book 3.5 stars, I would have. Diane Chamberlain's books normally get a 5 or 4 from me. For me, there was too much focus on the romance between Clay and Gina. However, that is just a personal choice.

As usual, the characters were interesting, captivating, and I felt like I knew each and every one of them in the story. The ending was very final so I would be ok if I didn't read the third novel in this series. That being said, I will be reading it, because I enjoy all of her no...more
Ann
Book #2 in a trilogy. First was Keeper of the Light. That was a little better than this. This one took TOO LONG to get to the point (and took me days and days to read - I just couldn't get into it) -- what was the mystery surrounding Gina's daughter? why did she NEED to raise the fallen lens? what really happened in 1942? Really, this could have been a great short story if all the above elements were discussed openly and up front. Like the first book, this was written about 10 years ago and it s...more
Amy
I really liked the ending of this book, but thought it really dragged to get there. Flipping between the diary which was many years in the past to the current time line threw me off a little, but all made sense at the end. The Characters are a little older from Keeper of the Light and it was good to see what is happening with them. Without giving much away, Lacey is following in her mothers footsteps, Alec has moved on, Clay and some heartbreak but is not in a very happy place, Gina is new in th...more
Skyy2
Not my favorite from Diane Chamberlain. I really didn't like the main characters. I couldn't really connect with any of them. Alec's character seemed to have changed between the first book and this one. He didn't seem as caring and understanding in this book. His character was not as strong as it was in the last book. Didn't really like Gina. She was pretty flaky throughout the book. No, I didn't like this one. Not sure if I should even finish the series.
Deb
Interesting history of the Outer Banks during WWII and the U-boat attacks on US Vessels. The story flashed back intermittently to a diary written during that time by the daughter of the Kiss River lighthouse keeper. I felt the truths/secrets that surfaced were not that exciting and it seemed a long time getting to those secrets which made it more of a let-down. Just okay for me.
Kelly
Loved it, loved how easy it was to keep track of who was who and what happened to who in the previous book. Didn't have the usual twists and turns that you'd expect from one of Dianes books. Maybe because it's an older one of hers that's been re-issued?

The ending obviously paves the way for the final book in the trilogy - I have a feeling things wont run smoothly for Gina!
Kathy
I enjoyed the first more than this one. Was an easy read however but found myself skimming over the pages. Disappointed.
Denise
This was the second book in the Keeper of the Light trilogy. It was terrific!
Suzie Flohr
i actually enjoyed this one more than i liked #1.
Carl
ONE OF MY ALL TIME BESTS
Sue
It was only after I had started reading this story that I realised there was actually a prequel. That said, if you do not read the first book in the series you won’t be missing out on anything really. The book is typical romance genre, but perhaps not as sugary.

It follows Gina on her journey to Kiss River and her subsequent fight to raise the lens of an old lighthouse from the sea. Gina has a secret as to why she wants the lens raised so badly, but she is keeping that under wraps. Pretty early o...more
Marleen
There's no doubt that the beauty and the magic of the Outer Banks, NC, are at the core of this story and make it work. I’ve visited there a couple of years ago and I’ll never forget the uniqueness of the Outer Banks.
The story’s nothing extraordinary, but it is entertaining enough. Especially moving toward the denouement, the reveal of the Bess’s secret as her diary is intertwined in Gina’s story. I enjoyed the bits of Bess’s diary from 1942. I never knew that there were German U-boats on the Ca...more
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out

The Keeper of the Light was first published almost twenty years ago as a stand alone but was revived in the early 2000's when Chamberlain decided to use the novel as a springboard for a trilogy, writing Kiss River and Her Mother's Shadow. This year, the series is being reissued in both print and digital formats to the delight of her fans.

Set twelve years after the events of Keeper of Light, Kiss River introduces Gina Higgins, a science teacher from Washington DC, who has has come to the Outer Ba...more
Bree T
Gina has come to Kiss River desperately seeking something that she believes can give her the help she needs so badly. In possession of an old diary, she drives from Washington state to Kiss River in North Carolina, all the way across the continent searching for the lighthouse there. She seeks a message there that she thinks she can use in order to get back to someone she loves dearly that has been taken from her.

When she arrives in Kiss River, she’s devastated to see that the lighthouse has been...more
Wendy
This title is the second in Diane Chamberlain's Kiss River trilogy. I had not read the previous title, Keeper of the Light, but when I saw Kiss River at the used bookstore, being a big fan of Diane Chamberlain, I decided to pick it up.

I had no trouble diving right in and, although this is part of a trilogy, it made a great stand alone story. Ms. Chamberlain's books always get me hooked. She creates great drama with a hint of mystery and her characters are always down to earth and realistic. They...more
Laurel-Rain
Gina Higgins is on a quest. She has traveled from the Pacific Northwest to the Outer Banks of North Carolina, to an old lighthouse in Kiss River.

When she arrives, she sees that the top of the lighthouse is missing, and when she meets brother and sister, Clay and Lacey O'Neill, who live in the keeper's house, she learns about the Fresnel lens, once the lighthouse beacon, that lies somewhere under water.

Her mission is to somehow raise the lens from the sea, and she works on a number of local indiv...more
AshleyiSee
I adore how I can always look to Diane Chamberlain for engaging, reading pleasure! I was thrilled to be welcomed back to Kiss River, the same setting for Keeper of the Light, one of my favourites by Chamberlain. The focus is on other characters but the old are never far.

I do feel this book was a bit more slow than her others, but once it 'got to the heart of the story' I couldn't put it down! Heartfelt, romantic and emotional it's nice to have a book that makes you feel things and help put your...more
TamElaine
The first sentence of this book introduces the reader to Gina. I was a bit disappointed when the story didn't start with Olivia or Alec. But I was vibrating with anticipation when the first diary entry from the 1940s introduced Elizabeth (Mary Poor's daughter) whose story was only alluded to briefly in Keeper of the Light. I remember when I read that book I wondered why Elizabeth had run out, what Mary wasn't telling and then even why that had been added to the story at all....but I laid those q...more
Margaret
Two stories told at the same time; that of Gina Higgins and that of Bess Poor.

Gina, a middle school teacher in Washington state has traveled to Kiss River in the Outer Banks of North Carolina posing as an amateur lighthouse historian, interested in the historic 19th century lighthouse. She carries with her a pink diary, a necklace, and a picture of a tiny Indian toddler.

The diary she carries belonged to Bess Poor who began writing about her life as the daughter of the lighthouse keeper and the...more
Laura Ellison
Kiss River is an extraordinary story from the marvellously gifted author, Diane Chamberlain. A family member introduced me to her work, and I started off reading The Shadow Wife, a story that left me I'm tears. Kiss River does not disappoint both new and dedicated Chamberlain readers.

Part of a trilogy, although perfectly readable as a stand alone book, this is a highly recommended read for lovers of drama and romance novels. Chamberlains history as a psychotherapist and social worker allows her...more
Kelly
I received this book as an e-book proof from the publisher in advance of the reprint. I have read 'The Midwife's Confession' and 'Kiss River' is just as good. Despite being a sequel to 'Keeper of the Light' which I haven't read, I was able to read this book as a standalone and follow the story and the characters and their history without any problems. The main character of the book, 'Gina' is a new character anyway so you haven't missed anything there.

Although the characters were well written an...more
Julie Barrett
Kiss River by Diane Chamberlain
I already love this book, about a lighthouse and a clue in the diary and the outer banks.
Bess's diary is written while she is a girl living in the lighthouse keeper cottage on the East Coast, Outer Banks of NC during the WW2 and the German boats are nearby blowing up US vessels and she sees them out her window.
Present day she is there and the residents of the house ask her, Ginny Higgins to stay for a night which she does and it brings back all the memories of wha...more
Sam Still Reading
Jan 06, 2013 Sam Still Reading rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Jodi Picoult
Recommended to Sam Still Reading by: sent by the publisher - thank you!
When I heard this book was the sequel to Keeper of the Light, I was kind of worried. I’m one of those people who do everything to the nth degree. What would I be missing if I started at book two of this trilogy? (There’s a subsequent sequel, Her Mother’s Shadow).

I found I could rest at ease – Kiss River sums up succinctly the relevant events of the first book, but I don’t think you’d be disadvantaged if you went back and read the first book later. There’s nothing to be scratching your head about...more
  • A Cottage by the Sea
  • The Flavours of Love
  • Me and Mr Jones
  • A Night on the Orient Express
  • The Memory Book
  • Missing You
  • Vivien's Heavenly Ice Cream Shop
  • Dream of the Blue Room
  • The Deep Blue Sea for Beginners (Newport, Rhode Island, #2)
  • Watch Over Me
  • Carly's Gift: A Novel
  • What Have I Done?
  • One Mountain Away
  • The Sea Change
I'm the author of 23 novels published in more than twenty languages. I like to write complex stories about relationships between men and women, parents and children, brothers and sisters, and friends. Although the thematic focus of my books often revolves around family, love, compassion and forgiveness, my stories usually feature a combination of suspense, mystery and intrigue.

I live in North Car...more
More about Diane Chamberlain...
The Secret Life of CeeCee Wilkes The Midwife's Confession Necessary Lies The Good Father Before the Storm (Before the Storm, #1)