Start by marking “Farewell to Prague” as Want to Read:
Farewell to Prague

Farewell to Prague

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  127 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Farewell to Prague is a memoir set against the turbulent events of the Nazi era in Germany and World War II England. It is the story of a girl who, at the age of six, witnesses a murder being committed by German Storm Troopers. From that moment, the happy life she has known disintegrates. Her family escapes to Prague, where they create a new life. Six years later, the Germ ...more
Published March 1st 2001 by MacAdam/Cage Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Farewell to Prague, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Farewell to Prague

Marilou
I never cease to be shocked and saddened by the loss and degradation that was inflicted on tender children, women and innocent men during the Nazi reign of terror. Miriam Darvas tells the story with taste and elegance. She would be 84 - perhaps she is still alive. Grief. Defiance. Submission. Resurrection. Never forget!
Anne
Farewell to Prague is an amazing story of a twelve year old's escape alone from Prague as the German occupation began in March 1939. Her circuitous two month journey by foot and by train took her from Prague, through Czechoslovakia and north through Poland to the Baltic Sea where a fisherman in his small boat took her to sweden. Departing from Goteborg she went by ship on stormy seas to Southampton.

The journey was difficult because of the deep snow, rain and stormy seas. Also she traveled throug
Geeta
I read it on my return from Prague. Easy to get into, very well written. Thought provoking, emotional telling of the terrible experiences a young Jewish girl experiences during WWII. She is forced to flee and survive on her own during difficult times, poverty, death, etc. Amazing survival story. Short book.
Peggy
For a small book it was packed with information. I could not put it down and found it excellent description of her life back then. The book made me want to learn more about Prague during that time.
Another holocost book about a family in Prague and what they did to save their daughter....... excellent
Ann
This is a wonderful story, a true one at that. I could hardly stand to put it down.
Barbara
Aug 11, 2012 Barbara is currently reading it
this book was poorly written, did not keep my interest after 75 pages.
Caitlin Bickel
Caitlin Bickel marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2015
Cathy
Cathy marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2015
Alexey
Alexey marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2015
Jan
Jan added it
Dec 31, 2014
Paula
Paula marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2014
Claribell Buchanan
Claribell Buchanan is currently reading it
Dec 22, 2014
Joanne
Joanne marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Chienne de Guerre: A Woman Reporter Behind the Lines of the War in Chechnya
  • Under a Cruel Star: A Life in Prague, 1941-1968
  • A Country Lost, Then Found
  • International Relations
  • Reading Law: The Interpretation of Legal Texts
  • The Globalization of World Politics: An Introduction to International Relations
  • A Romantic Education
  • A Russian Diary: A Journalist's Final Account of Life, Corruption & Death in Putin's Russia
  • Year of Impossible Goodbyes
  • War Journal: My Five Years In Iraq
  • Invisible Chains: Canada's Underground World of Human Trafficking
  • Rather Outspoken: My Life in the News
  • Under an Afghan Sky: A Memoir of Captivity
  • The Paradox of American Power: Why the World's Only Superpower Can't Go It Alone
  • Portfolios of the Poor: How the World's Poor Live on $2 a Day
  • The Emancipation of Robert Sadler: The Powerful True Story of a Twentieth-Century Plantation Slave
  • Cruel and Usual Punishment: The Terrifying Global Implications of Islamic Law
  • The Ditchdigger's Daughters: A Black Family's Astonishing Success Story
Miriam Darvas has served as the president and organizer of the National Women's Political Caucus and served on several boards and commissions. Farewell to Prague is her first book. She lives in Placerville, CA.
More about Miriam Darvas...

“I wondered what exactly the war had accomplished. Men had fought great battles: the Battle of the Bulge, the battle for Monte Casino, the battle for the beaches, for God and country, for God and freedom, for God and a pure race. They had left hundreds of cities in ruins and their people without shelter or food.” 0 likes