Start by marking “My Brother is Autistic (Let's Talk About It Books)” as Want to Read:
My Brother is Autistic (Let's Talk About It Books)

My Brother is Autistic (Let's Talk About It Books)

The sensitively written " Let s Talk About It Books " encourage preschool-age and early-grades children to explore their feelings, deal with problems that trouble them, and understand others who have problems of their own. Each title speaks to a particular concern that children might encounter in the course of growing up. All books in this series have appealing color ...more
Published October 1st 2008 by Barron's Educational Series (first published September 19th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about My Brother is Autistic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Brother is Autistic

Dec 08, 2013 Jennifer rated it liked it
My son has autism and this book showed him some similarities between himself and the character in the book.
Nor Azzah
Oct 04, 2016 Nor Azzah rated it it was amazing
Read it with my son who is 10 years old. He read the story aloud to let him practice the pronounciation of every single word in the story. I'll then explain the meaning of any words that he can't understand.

The story is simple, good and indirectly explaining about autistic person. New knowledge for him and me too. Respect others.
Brittany Upshaw
The story, "My Brother is Autistic", is a very great read. It describes the lives of two of the main characters, Billy and his brother. Billy is the brother who has autism. Throughout the story Billy's brother describes both of their lives at school. While at school Billy's brother is at first embarrassed at some of Billy's behaviors; he's really overall embarrassed to be Billy's brother. Like most stories about individuals with disabilities,this story shared some things that one may display if ...more
Nicole Santiago
From the "Let's Talk About It" Series, My Brother is Autistic is a realistic fiction picture book that centers on autism. The narrator introduces the reader to autism through stories about his brother, Billy. Billy is commonly misunderstood by his schoolmates due to the different ways that he communicates and reacts to stimuli. The narrator is sometimes embarrassed by his brother's behavior, but wishes that more people knew about Autism so that people might give "kids like Billy a chance!" The ...more
Wendy Fontenot
Oct 15, 2013 Wendy Fontenot rated it did not like it
Book Title: My Brother is Autistic by Jennifer Moore-Mallinos

Short description of the book: Billy who suffers from autism, embarrasses the main character. His teacher guides him to be accepting of Billy’s behaviors as he realizes others with autism are successful.

FOCUS: Informational text features I would use in a mini-lesson:

1) I would use this book to demonstrate the over usage of the word “that” as I teach editing practices.

2) It would also be a good reference for teaching comma usage with co
Amy
The characteristics of autism are varied, but this is still a good introductory book for children. A lot of siblings are portrayed as being embarassed, and that is unfortunate. It's not easy having a sibling with special needs, but I've noticed that my kids have developed an uncanny ability, and often willingness, to understand and work with others with disabilities, and that is awesome. More exposure the better - for everyone.

I do wish she had chosen the title "My Brother Has Autism" instead. I
Courtney
I loved this book! I do not have a child with autism but one with special needs. What I like about this book is not so much focusing on the child who is autistic but his brother's feelinOften nnn as parents we standb up for are children and to beat the stigma surrounding something like autism. However, I think their siblings if they have any are often made to stand up for these values as well....which is a wonderful thing but they are young too and they need help understanding their own emotions ...more
Rachel
Jul 28, 2009 Rachel rated it liked it
Sensitive view of Autism from a siblings perspective. Very text heavy, not much of a plot and some of it unrealistic like a teacher who knows just the right thing to do and a local autistic basketball star. Pictures are nice but use muddy colors and there is a lot going on in them, lots of other items that often don't relate to the action and a just added in the background, also a little drum on the side and by the text is distracting and not tied in until almost the end.
Kerry
Sep 18, 2013 Kerry rated it really liked it
My Brother is Autistic is a lovely book that deals with the difficulties siblings often face when they have a brother/sister with Autism. The authors sensitively approaches the topic from both the perspective of the sibling and the child with autism, making this a very useful tool for parents, teachers or psychologists like myself. Beautifully written and nicely illustrated.
Emily Augustus --Louisville KY
This can be a good book for students who have siblings with autism, or even for students without. It teaches diversity and acceptance in an easily understandable way for young children.
Joelle
Joelle rated it really liked it
Apr 12, 2015
J. Renee
J. Renee rated it really liked it
Aug 23, 2012
Eric Coulbourne
Eric Coulbourne rated it liked it
Mar 23, 2015
Jessi
Jessi rated it liked it
Nov 06, 2013
Catrina Ferguson
Catrina Ferguson rated it really liked it
Aug 03, 2016
Shireen Hussein
Shireen Hussein rated it it was amazing
Sep 22, 2016
Krista
Krista rated it really liked it
Apr 25, 2016
Fartun
Fartun rated it liked it
Dec 05, 2015
Aj
Aj rated it it was amazing
Nov 07, 2015
M.cholewick
M.cholewick rated it it was ok
Mar 05, 2015
Brian Gallamore
Brian Gallamore rated it it was amazing
Jan 07, 2016
Goldie
Goldie rated it really liked it
May 02, 2016
MRS K M COX
MRS K M COX rated it it was amazing
Jan 10, 2016
Simone
Simone rated it really liked it
Feb 24, 2015
Brittney
Apr 04, 2013 Brittney rated it it was amazing
This is a book that describes how people with autism may react during different situations.
Aimee
Aimee rated it it was amazing
Mar 29, 2016
Felishia
Felishia rated it it was amazing
Apr 04, 2013
Emmica
Emmica rated it really liked it
Mar 30, 2015
Jess
Jess rated it liked it
Jun 11, 2012

Let's Talk About It Books (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Lost and Found (Let's Talk About It Books)
  • My Friend Has Down Syndrome (Let's Talk About It Books)
  • My Grandparents Are Special (Let's Talk About It Books)
  • Are You Shy? (Let's Talk About It Books)
  • Mom Works Too! (Let's Talk About It Books)
  • When My Parents Forgot to Be Friends (Let's Talk About It Books)
  • Mom Has Cancer (Let's Talk About It Books)
  • The Colors of the Rainbow (Let's Talk About It Books)
  • Do You Have a Secret? (Let's Talk About It Books)
  • I Have Asthma (Let's Talk About It Books)